Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, good choice. AC3 is good fun, but it takes a very long time to get in to, and it just wasn't all I was hoping it would be. 'Hitman: Absolution' is my most anticipated game of the year, and I'm looking forward to 'Far Cry 3' after that to round out the year.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I've heard the same about Assassin's Creed III as well. I'll still buy it - and Far Cry 3 - though.

Has anyone played Dishonored? That's meant to be very good indeed, one of the best games this year, so I'm trying to figure out which of the three, (well four with Call Of Duty: Black Ops II) to purchase next.
  • I normally wait until the price drops to get Call Of Duty. I have to admit the campaign is stupid explosive fun, and split screen is cool too, but I don't want to spend £40 just for that and I'm not big on the online multiplayer or zombies.
    @Samuel001, I know Gamestop stores around me are having Black Friday sales on 'Dishonored' for only $25. My girlfriend picked it up for me about a month ago, but with this massive backlog of games, I've yet to try it. I'm still working on 'Halo 4,' 'Assassin's Creed 3,' and I just opened up 'Black Ops II' last night - yet another game my lovely lady purchased for me. I was surprised to find out that 'Black Ops II' is real good fun. The MP is exciting and fun again, and the zombies mode is pretty intriguing and fresh. I had a feeling it couldn't be worse than the entirety of MW3.

I'd say go with 'Black Ops II' and 'Dishonored' for now, try out 'Far Cry 3' around the time of release, and hold off on 'Assassin's Creed 3,' which should be on sale shortly for Black Friday for about $35. It's probably one of the bigger let downs of this year for me, alongside 'Max Payne 3.'
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, good choice. AC3 is good fun, but it takes a very long time to get in to, and it just wasn't all I was hoping it would be. 'Hitman: Absolution' is my most anticipated game of the year, and I'm looking forward to 'Far Cry 3' after that to round out the year.

And i've heard that AC3 has a lot of glitches, so I will hold out until the price drops. Far Cry 3 is another game i'm looking foward to.
    @MajorDSmythe, that it does. I haven't had any freezing issues, but many times I've gotten stuck through the ground and pushed under the map, or found terrain that is obviously climbable, yet I'm stuck.

I was looking forward to 'Far Cry 3' - just a general interest - and then I watched a few videos on it and read the new GI article on it, and was amazed. Sounds like good fun.
  • I've only had one major glitch on AC 3 and that was when I got shot of a tree and fell to the floor, Connor just wouldn't get up. Had to restart it. Apart from that I've had no issues.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    or found terrain that is obviously climbable, yet I'm stuck.

I don't think that's always a glitch, I just think climbing the cliffs is dodgy. I'm fine on buildings and trees but when I get to a cliff it's hit and miss, sometimes he'll jump up it, sometimes he just won't climb.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I read a review of Hitman that really put me off, it was talking about how it was too different to past games and lots of the levels were more action and not proper assassination missions.

My favourite game so far this year is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. FIFA, Assassins Creed and Sleeping Dogs are all fun too. Max Payne was a bit of a let down.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377538/previews/aliens-colonial-marines-preview-does-the-gamepad-instantly-make-it-better/#

I'm still not buying a Wii U. Doesn't seem worth it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks guys! I'll buy Dishonored later this week.
  • This is the Hitman review I was on about.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/hitman-absolution-review/

I don't play on PC so I have no idea what he's on about at the start when he's talking about how well it runs, but I really don't like the sound of things like no saves or not going back through doors.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 40,503
    @thelivingroyale, I've read the opposite: the game is like 'Hitman 2' in that some times there are missions building up to the big assassination you're hired to do. I also read that you can save at any time. Shame. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

On an unrelated note, I'm just not enjoying myself every time I've played 'Assassin's Creed 3.' I think I've been playing for the past five hours, and most of that has been spent mopping up collectibles, side missions, club challenges, etc. - I haven't even started Sequence 6 yet.

Being obsessed with achievements, I'm hoping to get as many as I can in this game, but just playing it feels like a chore. It's almost as if they took very small components that rarely come in handy, and just tacked on achievements to make them look important. I need more to do in the game that doesn't involve monotony and repetition such as this.
  • @Creasy47 Sequence 6 is when it gets good because you actually play as trained Connor and start actually being an assassin.
    @Creasy47 Sequence 6 is when it gets good because you actually play as trained Connor and start actually being an assassin.

Which I'm foolish for not getting into, allowing myself to be brought down by these mindless achievements. After realizing it was 3:30 AM, I stopped playing. The 50G achievement isn't worth 100%ing every single bit in the game, so tomorrow - or today, rather - I'm tackling the sequences and the naval missions.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That PC review is a bit disheartening, but like @Creasy47 said, the console reviews paint a different picture of the game. Isn't it Sniper Elite V2, that for the PS3 port, had it's checkpoints removed? So i'm wondering if the lack of checkpoints in Hitman: Absolution are only in the PC port.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @Creasy47 Sequence 6 is when it gets good because you actually play as trained Connor and start actually being an assassin.

Which I'm foolish for not getting into, allowing myself to be brought down by these mindless achievements. After realizing it was 3:30 AM, I stopped playing. The 50G achievement isn't worth 100%ing every single bit in the game, so tomorrow - or today, rather - I'm tackling the sequences and the naval missions.

I generally just ignore achievements. I get them randomly sometimes as I go through a game but I don't stop and actively try to get them.
    @MajorDSmythe, I do believe so. Like you stated, most of the console reviews haven't had a mention of saving or the game being totally different, and believe me, if you've played the 'Hitman' games for this long, you would notice such a drastic, disappointing change in the game. I'll be picking it up tonight, so I'll hopefully let you all know my take on the first few levels.

EDIT: I did some reading on fan reviews, and I have noticed some things that seem to agree with what @thelivingroyale posted. They've removed manual saves, which is a real killer for me. Now if you mess up, you'll have to revert back to a checkpoint (which I'm used to, but not in the world of Hitman). Excluding challenges, I'm going to miss saving to perform some really cool kill, so it'll be a rare thing instead of getting to experience it over and over again.

SECOND EDIT: I'm only on the tutorial and loving it. I have two complaints:

1.) No manual saving, just checkpoints that you can activate by finding.

2.) You achieve points throughout each level, which can unlock assassin upgrades. I've no idea what these are yet, but the only way to achieve points is by killing the target, it seems. I killed a guard with a throwing knife to the head, and I received +150 points for a headshot, but -250 for a non-target kill. Why force killing only the target down my throat? Don't set the game up so I can play it however I want, then penalize me for doing so. Oh well, screw the points.

A chef was cutting up some fish in the kitchen, and I whipped a filet knife into his back. He stumbled and fell into the counter, so he's just kind of propped up against it. The guards came in, checked around, and walked out; I suppose the knife is dug in so deep they have no idea he's dead. Hahah.

@thelivingroyale, I'm jealous. I used to have an 82,000+GS, until I made the abysmal mistake of switching to the PS3. Now that I've gone back to the 360, I'm at the achievements again.
    New 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' trailer:
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13469-Aliens--Colonial-Marines-Trailer-Shows-Off-Survivor-Mode.html

'Mirror's Edge II' is in production at DICE:
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13473--Mirror-s-Edge-2-Is-In-Production-At-DICE---Says-Swedish-Dev.html

As for 'Hitman: Absolution,' I've played over half of the single player at this point, and have delved into Contracts mode a good bit. Here are my thoughts.

With sleek new graphics, great character models, hilarious dialogue, and a host of villainous characters, 'Hitman: Absolution' was set up to be an amazing addition to the series. But, I feel just like the review posted by @thelivingroyale the other night: it isn't like the other games. Now, here are my nitpicks:

1.) A good portion of the missions do involve you traveling from door to door to enter the next 'level' of each mission, if that makes sense, and I'd say you're tackling assassinations about 20% of the time - not the 100% you would expect.

2.) The game was advertised to show that you can play as you want: keep it stealthy or go in loud. Can you technically do this? Yes. Is it as simplistic and fun as they make it? No. With stealth, say I sneak behind a guard, kill him, steal his outfit, and hide the body. If I go around a janitor or a gatekeeper, I'm fine, no problems. But, if I go around other guards - which heavily populate almost every area - they see right through me, unless I use Instinct (which can only be used to a heavy degree in an easier difficulty) to hide my head, play with my earpiece, tilt my hat, etc. It ruins the essence of what I would expect.

There was nothing better than killing an FBI agent in 'A New Life' in 'Hitman: Blood Money' and waltzing around the suburb, finding hidden entrances, weapons, or traps to kill my enemies. Now, these traps are few and far between, and I can't properly waltz around killing my foes. Which leads me to my other point.

3.) Killing ANYONE other than your target penalizes you in a deduction of points. These points are found in levels (aside from the prologue, so far), and obtaining a certain amount of points via challenges (only killing your target, retaining your suit, certain ratings, gathering evidence, etc.) offers the chance to surpass the target point level of the mission and obtain a new technique: faster reloading, take more damage, etc.

As unique as it sounds, what was wrong with just upgrading my character via the money I earned? Also, why does it feel like I am now forced to play as stealthily as possible and only kill my targets in every level possible (or kill nobody in the levels that don't require an assassination, which is almost all of them) if I want to do "well" on the mission? Oh, that's right...

4.) Out goes the assassination outlook on a plot, and in comes a country-spanning plot involving a young girl. To this point, I still feel like I've received the same amount from this plot as I did in BM. To avoid spoilers, a major event happens in the beginning, and it leads you to protecting a young girl from various henchmen hoping to collect her for a certain reason.

Does this sound like the other Hitman games? I didn't think so. With this, you get no pre-mission briefing from the Agency, no weapon drops throughout the map, nothing. Instead, you can spend every level "unlocking" weapons and disguises...to use in Contracts mode. Excuse me?

That's correct. Everything you unlock cannot be used in other levels. Like that new revolver you unlocked? Too bad, you won't get to use it again unless you play that level and manage to pick it up again.

In the end, 'Hitman: Absolution,' with it's few aforementioned good pieces, is a totally different formula than the past games. It's as if they wanted to try out a whole new type of game, failed, and then added in a few assassination missions because they forgot that's why people play the games. Yet ANOTHER game of 2012 that has been a let down to me. All I can do now is beat it as soon as possible, trade it in for 'Far Cry 3,' and see how that one goes. My pessimism is telling me that will be a bad idea, too.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Your comments sting @Creasy47. I have never played the series, so when you say it isn't good I tend to treat it as gospel. That is really too bad. I was considering getting it, but think I may choose Sleeping Dogs instead because my hype is bigger and the open world gameplay gives me tons to do after I beat the campaign, giving me the bang for my buck. What would you give Hitman out of 10, if I may ask?
    I had read somewhere that Absolution is Hitman dumbed down for CoD gamerss. So it sounds true. I'm going to wait for this to drop down in price as well as AC3. :-w

Still, it's good news about Mirror's Edge 2.
    I apologize, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I really wanted to enjoy it, but too much brings it down. At the heart of it, getting kills is quite enjoyable, but everything else just hampers that enjoyment.

I would say go with 'Sleeping Dogs.' I watched my girlfriend play and beat it, and it looked highly entertaining. Can't wait to get into it.

@MajorDSmythe, that's pretty much what it is. They set up every single level to be a run and gun, essentially, and that kills it for me. Plus, the "levels" are so small that every single trap is obvious, and you only require a single disguise for certain areas. I know nothing about the areas I continue to enter, yet I seem to fly through each one in a matter of minutes.

'Mirror's Edge 2' does have me interested. I quite enjoyed the first.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I had read somewhere that Absolution is Hitman dumbed down for CoD gamerss. So it sounds true. I'm going to wait for this to drop down in price as well as AC3. :-w

Still, it's good news about Mirror's Edge 2.

It's more like the over complicated it. The Hitman games have always been simple to play. very easy gameplay mechanics. You can point and shoot in the click of one button. That's what was nice about. The detective mode in Absolution was clearly ripped off the Batman Arkham asylum games. It's disappointing really.

@Murdock, alongside the fact that one whole mission takes place in a library, where you have to use detective mode to escape. I instantly said out loud: "Arkham Asylum?"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, alongside the fact that one whole mission takes place in a library, where you have to use detective mode to escape. I instantly said out loud: "Arkham Asylum?"

I saw a playthrough of that level on youtube. It's not a Hitman game at all. it feels like the game "STOLEN" for Ps2 and X-Box. (avoid it by the way, it's crap.)

@Murdock, thank you, I won't even take the time to look it up.

It's just so much different than all of the other 'Hitman' games. It's an entirely new formula that nobody asked for. Do we want new levels, targets, weapons, and disguises? Yes. Do we want you to change how the entire game is played? No!

It really does feel like 'Door: Absolution,' where I'm getting caught and fighting my way to the door in every level. So repetitive and dull. I'll be completing it today, scrapping up the rest of the achievements I can manage, and then trading it towards 'Far Cry 3.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, thank you, I won't even take the time to look it up.

It's just so much different than all of the other 'Hitman' games. It's an entirely new formula that nobody asked for. Do we want new levels, targets, weapons, and disguises? Yes. Do we want you to change how the entire game is played? No!

It really does feel like 'Door: Absolution,' where I'm getting caught and fighting my way to the door in every level. So repetitive and dull. I'll be completing it today, scrapping up the rest of the achievements I can manage, and then trading it towards 'Far Cry 3.'

That's too bad, I was really wanting to play and enjoy it. Sadly games for the past year and a half have been disappointments. Even the new Mario games are starting to feel like rushed cookie cutter types. that really makes me sad that my favorite character is starting to lose his luster. :(
    @Murdock, same. Just like Sam Fisher going the un-stealthy route, it appears. I haven't read up much on the new 'Blacklist' game (or whatever the title is), but the last one felt like a full on shooter.

I think the only game that I really enjoyed this year was 'Halo 4.' 'Black Ops II' is alright, the MP most certainly surprised me, and I'm itching to dive into 'Dishonored.'

I just hope I managed to save numerous members on here the $60 that they were planning on spending for this game. It wouldn't hurt to try it out in a few months when the price drops, but for now, I wouldn't suggest picking it up.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, same. Just like Sam Fisher going the un-stealthy route, it appears. I haven't read up much on the new 'Blacklist' game (or whatever the title is), but the last one felt like a full on shooter.

I think the only game that I really enjoyed this year was 'Halo 4.' 'Black Ops II' is alright, the MP most certainly surprised me, and I'm itching to dive into 'Dishonored.'

@Creasy47, it feels like this decline in gaming might lead to another gaming crash...
    @Murdock, who knows. People still flock and pick these games up, and then do the same when the yearly iteration returns. The only reason I got my hands on 'Black Ops II' was because my girlfriend surprised me with it, and I didn't want to make her return it. Sure enough, I was quite surprised.

This is just the time when all of the AAA titles are released, and something about them always catches my interest. I think from here on out, I need to seriously hold back on each and every game until I do enough research. My problem lately was that I wouldn't do much reading on games - a gameplay video or two was enough - just so I had enough surprises come release date. Unfortunately, those "surprises" I speak of have mostly been bad.
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I saw a playthrough of that level on youtube. It's not a Hitman game at all. it feels like the game "STOLEN" for Ps2 and X-Box. (avoid it by the way, it's crap.)

I thought Stolen was good, though not perfect, game.
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I thought Stolen was good, though not perfect, game.

It was okay, but I kept getting caught and when you knocked out guards they only stayed knocked out for 30 seconds. It's meh to me.