"Die Another Day" was the last true Bond movie.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And the PTS gave us one of David Arnold's best action music cues.
    I quite like the PTS. It gives us a promising set-up, half decent action and a good surfing stunt.

As I've said before, I may very well take it over the PTS in AVTAK.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    By first half I was thinking up until Bond reaches Cuba. When Jinx shows up, DAD starts to circle the pan.
    uperduper wrote:
    The Craig movies have been way too serious and grounded in reality. Bond was NEVER meant to be so realistic. The new bonds are a lot more emotionally driven, they lack the fun movie going experience that a movie like Die another Day offered.

The movies are a completely different animal to the books? Their is certainly no harm in making Bond grittier and more realistic?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    By first half I was thinking up until Bond reaches Cuba. When Jinx shows up, DAD starts to circle the pan.
    I find much to recommend in DAD, actually. The music, Brosnan, Stephens & Pike are all excellent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,894
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I find much to recommend in DAD, actually. The music, Brosnan, Stephens & Pike are all excellent.

I would agree on Brosnan, Pike, and some tracks of the score. One track especially:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Iceland is where DAD gets my knickers in a twist.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

The gunbarrel for me. That stupid slow mo bullet.
    Why can't moderators do the required work and close these topics? This troll will start more of these topics and then he doesn't post at all in it.
    Gustav, the OP was Banned. It's just friendly discussion now. No need to close it really.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Gustav, the OP was Banned. It's just friendly discussion now. No need to close it really.

But it's not exactly new discussion, is it? Another debate on the merits, or absence of, of DAD.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

But it's not exactly new discussion, is it? Another debate on the merits, or absence of, of DAD.

Well it could just be merged in another existing thread I suppose. Take your pick. :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'd love to see the faces that Michael G Wilson, Babs and Brosnan made while watching DAD for the first time.
    Why can't moderators do the required work and close these topics? This troll will start more of these topics and then he doesn't post at all in it.

While I agree with you, @Gustav_Graves, and initially wanted to close this thread right away, I also know that discussing DAD now and then is like a ritual that brings us all closer together. And the troll got banned. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi I thought you were one of those guys who watches DAD once a week. ;) I used to be like that too, when I was 10 years younger.
    @DaltonCraig007

If I were cool enough for a tattoo, I'd have a DAD one for sure. I won't specify which part of my body I think would be best suited for a DAD tattoo though.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,619
    @DarthDimi Don't write bad things about DAD! It's easily the second best Bond film starring Brosnan, and it's miles above TWINE and the worst Bond film of all time, TND. ;)
    Walecs wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    I have never read any Fleming novels and maybe never will.

Well, that explains many things.

Care to elaborate?

Several statements of yours which I don't agree with

Again, care to elaborate?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    the worst Bond film of all time, TND. ;)
    You are off my Christmas card list for that one, sir!
    :))
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I love tomorrow never dies.
    At the premiere of DAD in 2002:

goonies-cast-original.jpg

"Goonies never say Die Another Day!"

;-)

Anyway, the last 'true' Bond film depends on what you call a 'true' Bond film. I'm sure some of us will say that CR was the first true Bond film we got in a very long time...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    uperduper wrote:
    The Craig movies have been way too serious and grounded in reality. Bond was NEVER meant to be so realistic. The new bonds are a lot more emotionally driven, they lack the fun movie going experience that a movie like Die another Day offered.

I've read CR many times and I'm always impressed how the film sticks to the principles of the novel as well as the character of Bond. My view is the opposite. The DC era brings back Fleming (absent since Dalton left).
    Bond of the novels struck me as a believable man in UN-believable or far-fetched situations:

"High flown, romanticised caricatures in the career of an extraordinary, public servant"

M's obituary towards Bond at the end of YOLT.

The adventures themselves were daft but Bond himself was meant to be "believable".
  • RC7RC7

Ditto. It falls off a cliff, quite literally.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well if it was then God help us all...
    "Die Another Day was the last true Bond movie"

The star of that "last true Bond movie" was shown laughing at it.

Roger Moore, star of several "true Bond movies" (ie the period from 1962-2002) said the film went too far.
    And have mercy on our souls
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2015 Posts: 17,816
    I wouldn't take this thread too seriously as it was clearly started by a troll with an axe to grind.
    RC7 wrote: »

Ditto. It falls off a cliff, quite literally.

For me it was already tacky from the start. I just preferred Brosnan's acting talents opposite the great Sophie Marceau. It oozed class, anddd credibility. Elektra King is period the best written and best portrayed character from the Brosnan films. The moment she panicks under that evelanche, or the moment she got slabbed in her face by "M", or that moment where Elektra is strangling 007.

DAD felt not only bad in the 2nd half, I actually truly despised the acting by Will Yun Lee and Rick Yune during the PTS. Kenneth Tsang didn't help it either: "It's out of my hands now" *long unnatural silence*. The CGI in the PTS was absolutely.....distasteful. You could basically "smell" the green screen. In (fake) Hong Kong it was the same. It basically felt like one big green screen-film.

Also cinematography-wise it was a rather dark, cold, color-filtered mess. It lacked depth and warmth. No, David Tattersal didn't put my thumbs up. Same with the main titles, which are perhaps the most uninspiring and cold main title designs from Daniel Kleinman.

Another example: That kiss of life scene. Sjee, Bond isn't the Terminator?!?! "And I'm going AFTER him". Ughh. The funny thing is, a similar "back-to-life" scene was executed ten times better and more believable. The way Craig acted after the defribilator "woke him up" again. Perhaps not realistic, but it FELT realistic and gripping.

Shall I go on?? I shall be honest, yesterday I tried to watch DAD again. I shut it off when I saw Bond driving in Cadiz.

No, in my HONEST opinion, Brosnan was truly at his best in TWINE. Yes, it has flaws (Denise Richards, the Caviar Factory scene). But by jolly, Brosnan felt way more human and vulnerable. If ONLY he continued this kind of portrayal in DAD. Alas....
    Brosnan deserved a better final film to go out on.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I know this isn't a discussion on The World Is Not Enough, however...
    For me it was already tacky from the start. I just preferred Brosnan's acting talents opposite the great Sophie Marceau. It oozed class, anddd credibility. Elektra King is period the best written and best portrayed character from the Brosnan films. The moment she panicks under that evelanche, or the moment she got slabbed in her face by "M", or that moment where Elektra is strangling 007.
    She was his best match as a Bond girl. They had great chemistry and there was a level of sophistication that gelled well with Brosnan's interpretation of Bond.
    No, in my HONEST opinion, Brosnan was truly at his best in TWINE. Yes, it has flaws (Denise Richards, the Caviar Factory scene). But by jolly, Brosnan felt way more human and vulnerable. If ONLY he continued this kind of portrayal in DAD. Alas....
    We tend to agree on most topics and this is just another example. In the 'Ranking Bond Performances By Film' thread I have The World Is Not Enough as Brosnan's peak in regards to how he acted the part. As a Brosnan aficionado, this is how I rank his performances: Goldeneye was his introduction and it was well scripted, but I think he had yet to learn all the ways to sink his teeth into his character. Tomorrow Never Dies was a great film for the most part, but he still didn't know how to execute it to perfection. And then suddenly he figured it out in The World Is Not Enough, where he could be equal part suave and sophisticated as he was beaten and conflicted. On his part, that carried through to Die Another Day.

He certainly deserved a better script. I was watching a marathon of the Brosnan films last night and one thing struck me as being obvious when watching Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough back to back. If the plot and script is redone to take Eliot Carver and Elektra King and meld their plots to put them into the same movie and completely alter the second half of both films to reflect this change (meaning there is no stealth boat and no Denise Richards), it has all of the makings of a real world, complex, likely classic Bond film.

Imagine that instead of 4 Brosnan films, there were only 3. Not only would this create a markedly stronger second entry, but it would have given them an additional year or more to fine-tune the plot and script for the 40th anniversary Die Another Day.