I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    He should've used NATO's phonetic alphabet.

Golf-Romeo-Echo-Echo-November-Echo ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    After Bond, Kerim Bey and Tatiana have fled through the catacombs after the Russian Consulate bombing and encountered that horde of laboratory mice doused in cocoa powder, they climb up a stairway which is obviously lit by daylight from above, much like a subway exit. But in order for them to get out, someone has to open a trap door inside a building.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    After Bond, Kerim Bey and Tatiana have fled through the catacombs after the Russian Consulate bombing and encountered that horde of laboratory mice doused in cocoa powder, they climb up a stairway which is obviously lit by daylight from above, much like a subway exit. But in order for them to get out, someone has to open a trap door inside a building.

Is it actually inside of a building, and not a market stall located outside or something? Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I want to say it's located in a shop that is outside, but I could be wrong.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Is it actually inside of a building, and not a market stall located outside or something? Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I want to say it's located in a shop that is outside, but I could be wrong.
    My impression is it is a shop inside the Bazaar, but either way it's a trap door that is closed before being opened for them to get out. So it should have been dark on that stairway, or maybe some emergency lighting, but no daylight.
    I love it in LALD when Bond meets Mr Big and Solitaire has the cards ,that on the back of the cards is 007 in different ways..nice touch.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    In the brilliant title sequence to CR, after the two holes are shot in the playing card and it then says, typed like a computer screen "OO7 status confirmed" they actually type zero-zero-seven (007) rather than Double O Seven (OO7). This bugged me after I noticed it - kind of like when some seasons of Doctor Who credit the lead character as "Dr Who" and not "The Doctor". Producers should spot these things!
    gumbolt wrote: »
    In the brilliant title sequence to CR, after the two holes are shot in the playing card and it then says, typed like a computer screen "OO7 status confirmed" they actually type zero-zero-seven (007) rather than Double O Seven (OO7). This bugged me after I noticed it - kind of like when some seasons of Doctor Who credit the lead character as "Dr Who" and not "The Doctor". Producers should spot these things!
    I'm confused. Shouldn't the Double-O still be a number? So 00 should be perfectly correct.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Using zeros has always made more sense to me than "Os," with the "00" symbolizing the two lives that are now wholly devalued by the spy getting their licence to kill.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If you go back to the Fleming books, they're ohs.

But the stylish 007 logo looks so good with zeros, 7, and the rest of the gun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If you go back to the Fleming books, they're ohs.

But the stylish 007 logo looks so good with zeros, 7, and the rest of the gun.

Yes, I know that, I'm just saying that representation wise, zeros make a lot of sense. And you're right, the design with the double zeros does look far more stylish and can be used much more effectively design to design than two big "Os."
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I also want to say the filmmakers play it both ways: 007 for the gun logo, but also quick to use Os for titles and actor names. Therefore:

QUANTUM
    ....OF
    ....SOLACE
    If I'm correct, the usage of a "OO" in regards to espionage dates back to British monarchs who would communicate with their spies using that symbology, with the double-Os representing eyes that see all. I think I once read about Queen Elizabeth I having such a system.
    The "TOKYO" subtitle in SPECTRE at the nine eyes voting. No idea why people want Japan to return when it already did! Obviously it was done at Pinewood but SPECTRE does in fact feature Japan. Never knew that.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    I also just noticed (I can't believe I missed this before) that Bond has one kick 'a' gun with him during his infiltration of Kananga's hideout in the finale of LALD. I think it's a Smith & Wesson Magnum. I presume this was included because of Dirty Harry? It seems a strange gun for Bond to be using but it packs one heck of a punch.

If I remember correctly, he used a S&W in the book.
    The "TOKYO" subtitle in SPECTRE at the nine eyes voting. No idea why people want Japan to return when it already did! Obviously it was done at Pinewood but SPECTRE does in fact feature Japan. Never knew that.

Well, a bunch of nations "featured" but that's at a collective meeting and not as a full fledged tangible location that shooting takes place in.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In all Scandinavian countries, it is zero zero seven. The O has never been mentioned, in any medium.
    In all Scandinavian countries, it is zero zero seven. The O has never been mentioned, in any medium.
    Same here. In Germany it has always been Null-Null-Sieben.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    The same in Spain: "cero, cero, siete" "zero, zero, seven"
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    In the movies, doesn't Tiger (i think its him) call him "Zero Zero" in YOLT.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Isn t "oh" just another way of saying zero?

As in "Room three oh five" meaning Room 305, not room 3-O-5...
    @Shark_0f_Largo, he does, as does Aki when they're fleeing from Osato's men in the car. "Zero Zero is with me."

Well, a bunch of nations "featured" but that's at a collective meeting and not as a full fledged tangible location that shooting takes place in.

That still counts. They also go outdoors and you see the skyline.

In CR we talk about the airport scene taking place in Miami and not the Czech Republic.
    @BondAficionado, it's easier to count an entire action sequence that may take place in a location without having actually been filmed there, than the scene in question in SP where they're in a building for 90% of the locale's appearance (which, again, wasn't even filmed there).
    You're saying that you won't accept the fact that SPECTRE has a scene set in Japan?! @-)

That still counts. They also go outdoors and you see the skyline.

In CR we talk about the airport scene taking place in Miami and not the Czech Republic.

From a story perspective, yes, if only because it's less confusing to discuss it. But speaking as a fan who actually wants Bond to return to past locations or visit new ones, that's worthless.

I want to see Japan, not be told I'm seeing it when I'm not. It's like being told we're in Kentucky in GF when it's just around Pinewood. Doesn't count a lick.
    You're saying that you won't accept the fact that SPECTRE has a scene set in Japan?! @-)

I didn't say that at all. It factually takes place in Japan, there's no arguing that, but I don't look at SP and go "Ahh, the Bond film that takes place in Japan!", either, like I would YOLT. It's a throwaway scene where the city itself isn't its own character - that scene could've easily taken place anywhere else.

I didn't say that at all. It factually takes place in Japan, there's no arguing that, but I don't look at SP and go "Ahh, the Bond film that takes place in Japan!", either, like I would YOLT. It's a throwaway scene where the city itself isn't its own character - that scene could've easily taken place anywhere else.

Neither did I until today, but hey, here we are.

I know it's just a simple subtitle and it could of been anywhere but to say that it doesn't take place in Japan is wrong. So yes, as bad as it seems, it must be included as a Bond film which takes place in Japan. C'est la vie

I know it's just a simple subtitle and it could of been anywhere but to say that it doesn't take place in Japan is wrong. So yes, as bad as it seems, it must be included as a Bond film which takes place in Japan. C'est la vie

You're missing the point. Story wise, yes, it's in Japan. In actually, and when it matters in discussion of where EON have gone to shoot, it's pointless.

GF totally takes place in Kentucky. Except it doesn't. At least that film had aerial footage of the real area for a few seconds, whereas SP just puts us in a little room and says, "It's Japan, kinda."

Still, this conversation doesn't really matter.

...which it is. You're making an argument out of nothing, not once have I (or anyone else, for that matter) said it doesn't take place in Japan.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    scaled.php?1260338978