I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I noticed a few nights back that the driver of a car with a family who's shown momentarily in the TLD PTS is the same fellow who chases Bond in FYEO in one of the black Peugeot 504s (when Bond is in the Citroen with Melina). Apparently, he's a French stuntman.
    Yes he is ...i saw that instantly when i viewed TLD but good spot .
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've technically noticed it before, but that huge grin Bond gets on his face once Dimitrios wants to bet the Aston Martin, simply because he knows he's about to win a beautiful, classic car, is excellent.
    Thats the secret of a great actor,small little things that some will notice and some wont ,isnt it ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Glen and his extras.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thats the secret of a great actor,small little things that some will notice and some wont ,isnt it ?

Indeed, I've always loved these tiny moments that you can watch 100 times without it even clicking just what's truly going down, such as that smile.
    Exactly,a good actor always gives surprise elements,be it a smile,expression etc...and Craig definately has that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's what makes it at times so exhausting and repetitive to review Dan's performances in his films. There's so much to dig into, it's easy to spend hours thinking about just a few moments-or in my case, writing about them.

Here's how my brain reacts watching Dan's films, while preparing to write about them and compiling notes (pay special attention to my descent into utter exhaustion):

"In this scene, Dan announces who his Bond is. He's rough, introspective, smoldering, animalistic. Taking just three seconds of a shot here, you spot him transitioning to many levels of emotion as Bond reacts to what is unfolding around him. A masterclass in subtle acting not seen since Dalton and Connery before him."

[A scene later]

"Another defining moment of acting from Dan. He looks like he could actually kill somebody, and the way his eyes light up with that fire make you think you're in danger of getting burnt. In a close-up shot we feel Bond's exhaustion, relief and pain mixed all into one through Craig's performance."

[A short time later]

"Just when you think it can't get any better, Daniel again builds on the last scene to continue to create a staggering portrayal of James Bond. He makes everything feel fresh even after decades and decades of films, giving us a look at the man's inner life at the same time he snaps at us for peeking too much, slipping back into his mysterious shell.

[A slightly shorter time later]

"This is a movie you can't just get up in the middle of to get a snack or drink, as you miss about twenty fresh insights into Bond's character through Dan's understated acting in every scene. I was hungry and went to get chips, and in what must have been a minute I missed a scene where Dan's Bond was just walking around. I thought to myself, 'I won't miss anything, it'll only take a minute to get some food and look at Dan, he's just walking around.' Well guess what, while he was walking around in that scene Dan was STILL acting, and balancing about thirty plates at once as he conveyed his growing feelings for his Bond girl and his hatred for the villain, secretly laid a trap to get the baddie like a detective-spy lovechild AND did some cool pouty thing with his face that shouldn't have looked as cool as it did. All of this he did in a minute, just while he was walking."

[After snack has been eaten]

"Yep, here's Dan again. He's doing great acting here, truly unforgettable stuff. The way he moves, talks, how his eyes-well, you get the point."

[The shortest time yet]

"Look at Dan go. He's really doing that acting thing. He's doing that thing so good. Just watch him. Classic, iconic shit we're seeing here."

[One minute later]

"This is exhausting. You know what's happening: it's Dan, he's acting, he's always great. I could explain it, but it's quite clear to see. Iconic."

[Seconds later]

"Seriously, If I spent all my time writing about just one section of this film and how Dan performs in it I'd have a book's worth of pages suffocating my Word processor. I have a life, I can't do this."

[A millisecond later]

"Don't look at me like that. If you want to know so much about Dan's acting in this film, go watch it yourself. I'm not your slave."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    @Milovy, Quantum was a tentacle of SPECTRE, an organzation that was the equivalent of a front that could guard Blofeld's higher elite from being as easily seen. A partner in crime, or offshoot, in a way, with White as his second in command in that separate organization. We know that from the film.

My love of the Craig era just makes me think about these films a lot, and I work much of it out in my head in a way that makes sense, using what the films themselves tell us. There's things I'd add or change about them, sure, but I think the retcon isn't as bad as some have said.

In first watching CR, I thought, "Cool, they're introducing a Spectre-like organization, slowly, because of course they can't use Spectre." And QoS continued that trend.

I had always assumed that Silva was a stand-alone villain (at the time of SF) because the template was GF.

Now I'm wondering if the reason was that Babs and MGW were negotiating with McClory's estate for Blofeld/Spectre at the time and didn't want to pour salt in the wound...
    echo wrote: »
    @Milovy, Quantum was a tentacle of SPECTRE, an organzation that was the equivalent of a front that could guard Blofeld's higher elite from being as easily seen. A partner in crime, or offshoot, in a way, with White as his second in command in that separate organization. We know that from the film.

My love of the Craig era just makes me think about these films a lot, and I work much of it out in my head in a way that makes sense, using what the films themselves tell us. There's things I'd add or change about them, sure, but I think the retcon isn't as bad as some have said.

In first watching CR, I thought, "Cool, they're introducing a Spectre-like organization, slowly, because of course they can't use Spectre." And QoS continued that trend.

I had always assumed that Silva was a stand-alone villain (at the time of SF) because the template was GF.

Now I'm wondering if the reason was that Babs and MGW were negotiating with McClory's estate for Blofeld/Spectre at the time and didn't want to pour salt in the wound...

He is a stand-alone villain to me,and always will be,he had nothing to do with SPECTRE in my mind.
    I find i enjoy SF a lot more if i think like that ,and Dan should have had had a stand-alone 3rd film....now he has,in my mind.

He is a stand-alone villain to me,and always will be,he had nothing to do with SPECTRE in my mind.
    I find i enjoy SF a lot more if i think like that ,and Dan should have had had a stand-alone 3rd film....now he has,in my mind.

You have to respect the canon, @barryt007. Don't be a bad boy.

You could do what some have, and in your head rationalize that Blofeld just funneled Silva money anonymously before SF started and basically said, "Have fun." Silva had a SPECTRE ring though, so even that doesn't make sense.

But feel free to believe it. :D

You could do what some have, and in your head rationalize that Blofeld just funneled Silva money anonymously before SF started and basically said, "Have fun." Silva had a SPECTRE ring though, so even that doesn't make sense.

haha i know i know...

~X(

haha i know i know...

~X(

Throughout the years I've created a pretty wild head canon for the Craig films, to branch them together. It's fun to wonder what Bond did between QoS and SF for example, and how SPECTRE's hierarchy is all connected and how they operate outside of the plots we know of.

I do a similar head canon for Sean's films too, as they are also connected like Craig's, just not to this level.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I recently rewatched CR & SF & I didn't once make a connection between the goings on of those earlier films and SP. White in CR looks so different from the disheveled man in SP, so I didn't even connect him to the latest film, and Silva's original revenge plot against M for her betrayal is so compelling on its own that once again I didn't connect him to Spectre.

I'm glad that this is the case, because my profound enjoyment for these earlier entries has not been spoiled. So there will at least be 3 Craig entries which I will continue to enjoy in some way shape or form.

I think the fact that I've seen CR & SF quite a few times over many years helped me to internalize the plots and motivations, so the last film's retro nonsense can be more readily blocked out. It's so different visually & tonally as well, unlike Nolan's trilogy which all seem to come from the same universe, and that additionally helps me to ignore it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watching LALD tonight, I only heard for the first time as Felix tries to smooth
    things over with Mr Bleeker after Bond took the wings off. You can clearly hear
    " Son of a Bitch" over the phone. Either I've got better speakers or I've simply
    never heard it before. :D
    @Thunderpussy, I also heard a line from Felix in CR that I had never really been able to pick up on before (maybe it's the Blu-ray audio).

After Bond loses the game to Le Chiffre and is out of chips, he's sitting there very defeated and down, with only Felix left at the table with him. Just as Felix gets up he looks at Bond and says, "Good game," trying to lighten his spirits. A cool moment of Felix before we know it's Felix.
    Moore's first and his swan song share a few coincidences. He beds a black actress in both, he knocks over a wedding cake in both, Bond drives a vehicle where the roof is sliced off in both (the Renault in AVTAK & the bus in LALD) & someone uses a recording in both films to fool people while they step away (Kananga in LALD, and Bond himself in AVTAK).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    That's what makes it at times so exhausting and repetitive to review Dan's performances in his films. There's so much to dig into, it's easy to spend hours thinking about just a few moments-or in my case, writing about them.

Here's how my brain reacts watching Dan's films, while preparing to write about them and compiling notes (pay special attention to my descent into utter exhaustion):

"In this scene, Dan announces who his Bond is. He's rough, introspective, smoldering, animalistic. Taking just three seconds of a shot here, you spot him transitioning to many levels of emotion as Bond reacts to what is unfolding around him. A masterclass in subtle acting not seen since Dalton and Connery before him."

[A scene later]

"Another defining moment of acting from Dan. He looks like he could actually kill somebody, and the way his eyes light up with that fire make you think you're in danger of getting burnt. In a close-up shot we feel Bond's exhaustion, relief and pain mixed all into one through Craig's performance."

[A short time later]

"Just when you think it can't get any better, Daniel again builds on the last scene to continue to create a staggering portrayal of James Bond. He makes everything feel fresh even after decades and decades of films, giving us a look at the man's inner life at the same time he snaps at us for peeking too much, slipping back into his mysterious shell.

[A slightly shorter time later]

"This is a movie you can't just get up in the middle of to get a snack or drink, as you miss about twenty fresh insights into Bond's character through Dan's understated acting in every scene. I was hungry and went to get chips, and in what must have been a minute I missed a scene where Dan's Bond was just walking around. I thought to myself, 'I won't miss anything, it'll only take a minute to get some food and look at Dan, he's just walking around.' Well guess what, while he was walking around in that scene Dan was STILL acting, and balancing about thirty plates at once as he conveyed his growing feelings for his Bond girl and his hatred for the villain, secretly laid a trap to get the baddie like a detective-spy lovechild AND did some cool pouty thing with his face that shouldn't have looked as cool as it did. All of this he did in a minute, just while he was walking."

[After snack has been eaten]

"Yep, here's Dan again. He's doing great acting here, truly unforgettable stuff. The way he moves, talks, how his eyes-well, you get the point."

[The shortest time yet]

"Look at Dan go. He's really doing that acting thing. He's doing that thing so good. Just watch him. Classic, iconic shit we're seeing here."

[One minute later]

"This is exhausting. You know what's happening: it's Dan, he's acting, he's always great. I could explain it, but it's quite clear to see. Iconic."

[Seconds later]

"Seriously, If I spent all my time writing about just one section of this film and how Dan performs in it I'd have a book's worth of pages suffocating my Word processor. I have a life, I can't do this."

[A millisecond later]

"Don't look at me like that. If you want to know so much about Dan's acting in this film, go watch it yourself. I'm not your slave."

Hmm. It seems I may have missed one or two of your insights.
    The manner in which Newman scores the Hinx fight (only letting the score kick in at the crucial moment when Bond is in trouble) in SP is reminiscent of how Martin does it during the boat chase in LALD (keeping the entire sequence scoreless until the very end when Adam is ominously catching up with Bond using Billy Bob's fast boat). I knew I had seen this approach before but it didn't click. I've always liked that part in LALD precisely because there was no score up till then, so it's more impactful when it finally arrives.

EDIT: I just remembered one more: There's a fat cop making a fool of himself in both films as well.

I also noticed two other LALD references. Bond puts his gun on a tray at the villain's lair in both films and also tries to teach his girl something on a train in both films (Gin rummy in LALD & a lesson on guns in SP), but in both cases she shows him up with her knowledge.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The manner in which Newman scores the Hinx fight (only letting the score kick in at the crucial moment when Bond is in trouble) in SP is reminiscent of how Martin does it during the boat chase in LALD (keeping the entire sequence scoreless until the very end when Adam is ominously catching up with Bond using Billy Bob's fast boat). I knew I had seen this approach before but it didn't click. I've always liked that part in LALD precisely because there was no score up till then, so it's more impactful when it finally arrives.

I also noticed two other LALD references. Bond puts his gun on a tray at the villain's lair in both films and also tries to teach his girl something on a train in both films (Gin rummy in LALD & a lesson on guns in SP), but in both cases she shows him up with her knowledge.

The cutting of music in fights is one of my favorite cinematic style choices, and it's been used to great effect in many a film, Bond included.

I love the moment where Bond lays the gun on the tray in SP, then says, "Be careful, it's loaded." It has a vintage feel to it.
    I also just noticed (I can't believe I missed this before) that Bond has one kick 'a' gun with him during his infiltration of Kananga's hideout in the finale of LALD. I think it's a Smith & Wesson Magnum. I presume this was included because of Dirty Harry? It seems a strange gun for Bond to be using but it packs one heck of a punch.
    How could you miss that thing? It's a holstered beast.
    How could you miss that thing? It's a holstered beast.
    I suppose I always knew it was a big gun, but because I've been watching LALD since I was a kid, I never made the connection to how strange it was for Bond to be carrying one rather than his standard PPK. It was only yesterday, when I heard it go off, that I made the connection with a Magnum & Harry.

It's funny how the subconscious works. As I mentioned on another thread, for the longest time I thought that Big was a separate actor and didn't realize it was Kotto in disguise. That's because this was the initial impression I got when I first watched the film (in fear) as a kid.
    @bondjames, did you get really spooked by the voodoo imagery as a lad?
    Not so much the voodoo @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but certainly all the baddies who all frightened me. Especially Big, Samedi & TeeHee. I recall being quite worried for poor Solitaire after she betrayed Kananga, as she was surrounded by these 'big' (no pun intended) chaps.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Not so much the voodoo @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but certainly all the baddies who all frightened me. Especially Big, Samedi & TeeHee. I recall being quite worried for poor Solitaire after she betrayed Kananga, as she was surrounded by these 'big' (no pun intended) chaps.

@bondjames, LALD could definitely be a very spooky, supernatural kind of movie for a kid first seeing it. I can only imagine what my reaction would've been like. For better or worse, I was at least a teen when I saw my Bond films, and lack that younger perspective. I'd probably be a bit warmer towards the Moore films if I had, as I imagine I'd have been entertained by all the zany things and colorful villains and would have a bit of nostalgia attached to them because of it.
    I was born in 1970 so i grew up with Sir Roger as Bond and whenever they came i would be glued to the TV....you knew the bank holiday/Easter/Xmas Sir Roger would appear (Connery never did tbh) and you knew that the Bond film stood between you and school ,and got VERY Excited....thats the impression Bond made on me...(even though i lived on a diet of TSWLM &MR as these were the films always chosen by the TV company involved.)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can't wait to show LALD to my niece and nephews. I've agreed with my sister that I will be the one to introduce them to the world of Bond, and we're going to start with MR/TSWLM, but I found it interesting that she in fact suggested LALD (she didn't remember the name of it but she mentioned the Roger Moore film with all the voodoo) because one of the little ones is interested in horror for some strange reason. I can't wait!

I agree with @barryt007 that Moore was great when younger. I too used to watch them during the holidays when they came on tv. In fact, I think I still have an old VHS recording of TMWTGG from ITV somewhere. He was the Bond equivalent of Indy, Star Wars or Ghostbusters. Just pure larger than life fun. His films don't have quite the same appeal these days, but I still love them.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @bondjames, I think the Moore films are perfect for kids, out of all the Bond canon. The larger-than life color to them, as you say, very Indy and Star Wars in scope, would be a real treat for little boys and girls to just sit in front of and be taken in. Brosnan's films would probably be good once they're a little older, as they're the same sort of feel, but with a little less lightness. The Craig and Dalton films are probably better watched around the teen years or after, and I think you could watch Sean's at any age, but only when you're older can you really appreciate movies like DN and FRWL.

I hope your attempts at snagging them on Bond prove successful.
    I'm sure others have caught it, as well, but a tiny detail in QoS I've always appreciated is when Bond calls M (and speaks with Tanner) about Greene, he starts spelling out his name as "G-R-double-E...", to which the computer assumes "double E" will be "double U," or "W," so it initially spells it as "G-R-W" before realizing it's "G-R-E-E" instead. A nice little touch.