I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good thing the goon was even more stupid than Leiter.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

The whole scene is pretty stupid to me, just like Bond hitting Felix for "almost" saying 007...even though Bond says it out loud in front of the goon anyway, and it's obvious that Largo and his men already know who he is. What's the point?
    Bond is more stupid than the two combined.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The whole scene is pretty stupid to me, just like Bond hitting Felix for "almost" saying 007...even though Bond says it out loud in front of the goon anyway, and it's obvious that Largo and his men already know who he is. What's the point?

Never did like that scene, trying too hard to inject some suspense and ends up just not making sense.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Still leaves us with the 'you were about to say 007' line. atmittedly at that time Bond doesn't know who's in the shower, but indeed says the number when the goon is down in agony but very much awake. So first he doesn't want anyone to know he works for the government, but when it turns out to be one of Largo's it's ok?
    It must be meant as a joke.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Much like the GE interrogation scene, there's the part in TB where Bond and Felix first meet up and they're going to let Largo's man go. Just like Ourumov does, Felix removes the magazine from the handgun and gives it back to the man, forgetting to remove the round in the chamber. Thus, he could've easily killed either Bond or Felix, thanks to Felix's error.

If the first bullet wasn't engaged in the cylinder (if the weapon wasn't cocked), there wouldn't be a round in the chamber.

Is it a Walther PPK? It can still be uncocked and have a round in the chamber, you would still need to rack the slide to make sure there wasn't a round there.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It must be meant as a joke.
    punch intended?
    Also in that scene, the sound of the magazine being removed from the gun is out of sync with the picture.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Much like the GE interrogation scene, there's the part in TB where Bond and Felix first meet up and they're going to let Largo's man go. Just like Ourumov does, Felix removes the magazine from the handgun and gives it back to the man, forgetting to remove the round in the chamber. Thus, he could've easily killed either Bond or Felix, thanks to Felix's error.

If the first bullet wasn't engaged in the cylinder (if the weapon wasn't cocked), there wouldn't be a round in the chamber.

Is it a Walther PPK? It can still be uncocked and have a round in the chamber, you would still need to rack the slide to make sure there wasn't a round there.

But my point is that there is t necessarily a round in the chamber (unless the mechanics of a PPK are that different). Which is what I think Creasy was saying: that there would definitely be a round in the chamber.

Yes, you are right, there wouldn't definitely be a round, but you would think you would check before giving it back? You wouldn't be able to tell simply by whether it was cocked or not, you would need to pull the slide back to be sure.
    It's Bond, I can only assume a round is in the chamber and ready to rock and roll at all times. Probably an oversight, thinking people would notice the magazine ejection and assume that's all the ammo.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,325
    It's Bond, I can only assume a round is in the chamber and ready to rock and roll at all times. Probably an oversight, thinking people would notice the magazine ejection and assume that's all the ammo.

With a PPK you can have it on 'safety', ie uncocked with a round in the chamber, but a P99 has no safety, so with a P99 it would be safer to only put a round in the chamber when needed. Still with a PPK, for safety you generally don't leave a round in chamber.
    I've always been under the impression you can have a manual safety activated on a PPK while still having it chambered.
    I've always been under the impression you can have a manual safety activated on a PPK while still having it chambered.

Yes, that is precisely what I said in my previous post. But it's still 'good practice' when not using it to have manual safety on and no round in the chamber, obviously Bond would probably keep a round in the chamber, but generally it's good safety to always keep the chamber empty when not firing.
    Read that too fast, thought you had said 'unchambered.' I can only assume the P99 is a much newer Walther model, why wouldn't it have a manual safety? Seems to be an oversight.
    Read that too fast, thought you had said 'unchambered.' I can only assume the P99 is a much newer Walther model, why wouldn't it have a manual safety? Seems to be an oversight.

Most semi-auto pistols made these days don't have an external safety on them - Glocks and Sig Sauers are the same. A quality holster should always completely cover the trigger guard.
    I believe I've said this before, but thankfully the subtitles for GE are so descriptive that they let you know during the sex scene between Xenia and Farrell that "he cries in pain, she in pleasure." These are key details, people, pivotal to the film!
    I believe I've said this before, but thankfully the subtitles for GE are so descriptive that they let you know during the sex scene between Xenia and Farrell that "he cries in pain, she in pleasure." These are key details, people, pivotal to the film!

Darn, now I understad! I always got that the other way 'round!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I've been watching some of the Indy films recently. Just finished Raiders and Temple. I've only seen them a couple of times before.

I never noticed before how influenced John Glen was by Spielberg's work on the Indy films. When I watched Raiders, I realized right away that OP was definitely greatly influenced, from the pacing of the action (much faster than previous Bond films and especially FYEO) to the silly humour stuff in India (all the chase in the jungle with Tarzan, hiss off etc. as well as the Rickshaw chase and street fight). I think Bond did it better, but I'm in the minority probably. Even the dinner scene in OP was cribbed, but this time ironically by Spielberg for Temple. I again think OP did it better.

Moreover, Glen seems to have been further inpired throughout his Bond directing tenure by the Indy films, because the AVTAK finale in the mines reminds me of Temple, the Afghanistan finale in TLD reminds me of Raiders, & even the truck chase at the end of LTK (with Bond climbing all of over the trucks) reminds me of Indy. Dario's bond crushing death also evokes a similar one of a big Sikh fella in Temple.

It's almost like Indy was the rough template for Bond during the 80's, just like Bourne/Nolan seem to have been for the last few Bond films. Glen certainly was known for ramped up fast cut action in comparison to the 70's Bond films.
    I think the two certainly influenced eachother. In what details I don't know. But both characters do also have some similarities.
    In YOLT Bond has a pocket-size safe-opener with him, which opens Osato's safe within the minute. Yet a film later, in OHMSS, he has a not-so-convenient, suitcase size one which takes almost an hour to open the safe of the Gumbolt solicitors...
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    In YOLT Bond has a pocket-size safe-opener with him, which opens Osato's safe within the minute. Yet a film later, in OHMSS, he has a not-so-convenient, suitcase size one which takes almost an hour to open the safe of the Gumbolt solicitors...

Most people overlook the fact that the OHMSS one is not just a safe opener, its a full blown scanner and printer with its own power supply (Bond doesnt plug it in) . For 1969 thats quite something....
    Mallory wrote: »

Most people overlook the fact that the OHMSS one is not just a safe opener, its a full blown scanner and printer with its own power supply (Bond doesnt plug it in) . For 1969 thats quite something....

True, but still it takes almost an hour, and Sato's safe is open within the minute.. (that and the fact that Bond has it on him all the time apparently)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I guessing the time thing, is a way of building up the tension in the scene ?
    I guessing the time thing, is a way of building up the tension in the scene ?

Oh it surely works, but watching the films in the wrong order you start to wonder. Same with the copier abilities of this machine: why not use the pocket size safe cracker (YOLT) and the microfilm camera (used by Bond to take the pictures of Blofeld's 'Angels of death') and be out of there in no-time? But i guess a swiss solicitor taking less then an hour for lunch is far more unbelieveable ;-)

:)) I think it all goes back to the lack of continuity or even attempt at it
    with the early films. A fantasy Bond followed by a realistic one, you'd think
    Q could have come up with a smaller copier, in a briefcase perhaps ;)
    Meant to mention yesterday, but I never noticed in QoS how Medrano greets Greene in the finale by calling him a "pendejo," a rather fluid and nasty thing to call someone in Mexico. Love it.
    Meant to mention yesterday, but I never noticed in QoS how Medrano greets Greene in the finale by calling him a "pendejo," a rather fluid and nasty thing to call someone in Mexico. Love it.

Really? Never noticed that either. It means idiot, or more directly translated a "pubic hair".
    :D amazing the things you learn on MI6.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,509

Really? Never noticed that either. It means idiot, or more directly translated a "pubic hair".

I always took it as meaning "dickhead." Either way, that's the only line Medrano utters to Greene once he arrives at Perla de las Dunas, pretty funny.