I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,692
    The best delivery of 'pendejo' comes from Gael Garcia Bernal in 'Amores Perros'. I wish i could speak spanish as good as him.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,386
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've been watching some of the Indy films recently. Just finished Raiders and Temple. I've only seen them a couple of times before.

I never noticed before how influenced John Glen was by Spielberg's work on the Indy films. When I watched Raiders, I realized right away that OP was definitely greatly influenced, from the pacing of the action (much faster than previous Bond films and especially FYEO) to the silly humour stuff in India (all the chase in the jungle with Tarzan, hiss off etc. as well as the Rickshaw chase and street fight). I think Bond did it better, but I'm in the minority probably. Even the dinner scene in OP was cribbed, but this time ironically by Spielberg for Temple. I again think OP did it better.

Moreover, Glen seems to have been further inpired throughout his Bond directing tenure by the Indy films, because the AVTAK finale in the mines reminds me of Temple, the Afghanistan finale in TLD reminds me of Raiders, & even the truck chase at the end of LTK (with Bond climbing all of over the trucks) reminds me of Indy. Dario's bond crushing death also evokes a similar one of a big Sikh fella in Temple.

It's almost like Indy was the rough template for Bond during the 80's, just like Bourne/Nolan seem to have been for the last few Bond films. Glen certainly was known for ramped up fast cut action in comparison to the 70's Bond films.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was actually released a year after Octopussy (and led to the formation of the PG-13 rating in the U.S.) so it's more likely Spielberg was inspired by the dinner scene in Octopussy for the Temple of Doom feast scene. I remember seeing some interviews from Spielberg about Indiana Jones where he states that the character of Indiana Jones began when he said to his friend George Lucas that he had always wanted to direct a Bond movie. There are other nods to Bond in the original Indiana Jones trilogy as well with the casting of Connery as Indiana Jones's father, the scene where Indy has a run-in with rats under a building (with an in-joke of rats being something Connery hates because of his dealings with them under a building in FRWL) and of course there is the fact that there are scenes shot at some of the same areas in Venice in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that were used in MR. There's even a boat chase in Venice and Allison Doody (Elsa) was "Jenny Flex" in AVTAK. Spielberg is a big Bond fan.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Because on small screens in SD you don't notice it.

It's incredible what a 50"+ TV set and movie in HD will reveal.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very true, suddenly little details stand out.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 14,895
    Having just watched FYEO, there was a blink and you'll miss it shot that stood out. In fact I had to pause the scene in question and advance a frame at a time to confirm what I'd seen.
    When Bond is scaling the cliff face and Apostis is knocking out the pitons, when Bond throws the blade that causes Apostis to fall, just as he falls there is a scene obviously shot in studio. You can clearly see the studio roof and lighting if you pause it.
    Still a great sequence all the same.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Somehow modern technology seems to be destroying fantasy here... @Birdleson, I'll stick to the fantasy of those planes piloted by real girls.
    @Benny, it was your imagination, surely ;-)
    Somehow modern technology seems to be destroying fantasy here... @Birdleson, I'll stick to the fantasy of those planes piloted by real girls.

Girls flying planes? Don't be ridiculous
    Crazy, they'll be voting next :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Girls flying planes? Don't be ridiculous
    Well, in my experience, there might not be many, but those that do are stunningly beautiful and very intelligent. So an all-girl flying circus would indeed end up with only stunningly beautiful girls, naturally...
    An "all girl" anything, is usually worth looking at. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That whole bit with Pussy's planes and all the soldiers falling over is one of the more annoying parts of GF for me, along with Bond's sojourn at camp-Goldfinger in Kentucky. I would rank the film much higher if that part was not there.

The only good bits before the Odd Job fight & after Bond is captured for me are the jump in the hay with Pussy & Solo's death.

At the moment it doesn't even crack my top 15 (blasphemy I realize).
    Just out of interest I compared the PTS of TMWTGG on my VHS, Special Edition DVD and Blu Ray copies. Wasn't until I played the Blu Ray that I noticed how obvious it is that the mannequin Bond is Roger Moore trying to stand very still - he is noticeably moving slightly.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Just out of interest I compared the PTS of TMWTGG on my VHS, Special Edition DVD and Blu Ray copies. Wasn't until I played the Blu Ray that I noticed how obvious it is that the mannequin Bond is Roger Moore trying to stand very still - he is noticeably moving slightly.
    Yes, that bit is funny. I noticed it on my old VHS copy too though.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    That whole bit with Pussy's planes and all the soldiers falling over is one of the more annoying parts of GF for me, along with Bond's sojourn at camp-Goldfinger in Kentucky. I would rank the film much higher if that part was not there.

But they are supposed to be soldiers pretending to be knocked out and that's definitely what it looked like. It wasn't meant to fool us so much as the pilots, who were at a distance.
    I have to watch that part again, because I didn't notice the pilots before. It's true that blu ray really gives you a new perspective on things. I find it really shows up the stupid CGI they use everywhere nowadays as well....more so than in the theatre.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This may come across as a somewhat obvious and silly thing to have just noticed. As FYEO is probably the Bond film I've rewatched the least amount of times, I just realized the nod to Nobody Does it Better when Q types in the passcode to the door before Roger finishes off the tune.
    And something discussed here only a day or so ago. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Watching Spectre, did anyone notice the odd audio glitch when Bond says, "The recently deceased head of SPECTRE"?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Watching Spectre, did anyone notice the odd audio glitch when Bond says, "The recently deceased head of SPECTRE"?

Where he says the first half of the sentence and it sounds jumbled/fast-forwarded? I did!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Where he says the first half of the sentence and it sounds jumbled/fast-forwarded? I did!

Exactly.
    I just found out that Bond and Paris' sex scene in TND was shot at Stoke Park, the same place the GF golf scene was filmed. Very cool.
    I just found out that Bond and Paris' sex scene in TND was shot at Stoke Park, the same place the GF golf scene was filmed. Very cool.
    Did you watch the Exotic Locations featurette starring Samantha Bond?

I have not.

What disk is that on?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Hole-in-one.
    @Crazysoul95 It should be on Bond 50 and the Ultimate Editions. That's how I found out.

@Thunderfinger :))
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Yes but is it on the bonus disc or a particular bond films disc.
    Yes but is it on the bonus disc or a particular bond films disc.
    I believe there's one specific to each film disc.
    Anyway, here's the one on TND:

Wrapping up DAD, I realized that Graves asks Bond at the club "Best of three hits?" Gustav proceeds to hit Bond twice in a row, which technically means he won and a third fight shouldn't have taken place.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    When did we get the excellent "Oh dear. Do you want to continue?" "Of course I want to bloody continue!!!"

After the 2nd hit?