SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

• boldfinger wrote: »
    If someone is used to original sound with subtitles, he will be initially put off if the voices were dubbed, unless the dubbing is really good. And it rarely is really good. It was extremely good in Germany way back, but it hasn´t been now for decades. With the old dubbing artists the attitude died.
    I think that's rather because now Hollywood controls more and more the dubbed versions : after all, soon, most of the money from the worldwide box office will be made from dubbed versions. So that's actually the opposite of what many seem to think : dubbed versions are more and more controled by the original creative teams...

boldfinger wrote: »
    If someone is used to original sound with subtitles, he will be initially put off if the voices were dubbed, unless the dubbing is really good. And it rarely is really good. It was extremely good in Germany way back, but it hasn´t been now for decades. With the old dubbing artists the attitude died.
    I think that's rather because now Hollywood controls more and more the dubbed versions : after all, soon, most of the money from the worldwide box office will be made from dubbed versions. So that's actually the opposite of what many seem to think : dubbed versions are more and more controled by the original creative teams...

I really doubt someone like Sam Mendes pays any attention to various dubbings made for his movies. And why should he?
    Enough with the dubbing chat! Isn't there a separate thread for this tedium?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I really doubt someone like Sam Mendes pays any attention to various dubbings made for his movies. And why should he?
    Let's continue in the separate thread.
    Getafix, are you for the UK or the US ? For people outside the UK/US here, dubbing is a hot topic, because in big cities, this is a choice we have to make almost every time we go the movies to see a foreign movie. And well, for France at least, dubbing has changed a lot over time as far as Bond is concerned (becoming more and more bland, I'd say). In the UK and even more in the US, dubbed vs subtitles is not such a problem, because they don't even really release foreign movies to large audiences anyway, do they ?

237.gif
    Let's continue in the separate thread.

Yes please!

The thing is, there is a thread now for this specific OFF TOPIC subject and whilst I'm sure you all have very valid comments about it, it's relevance isn't really that germane to this thread. It has been very very tedious and not remotely of interest to me as it seems to be for others here too. Whilst being a hot topic for you, dubbing and subtitles never normally ever enters my thoughts with film watching.

I want to read about the ideas, observations & discussion about the teaser trailer - funnily enough, the title of this thread.
  • AVBAVB
    The dubbing debate was possibly the most boring thing I've had to wade through since the Internet began.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I find this a bit silly. They'd put up some sort of covering over it within days. As If youre going to leave a major government building open to the elements. That is unless the shot is merely hours after the explosion, though considering everything that happened in Skyfall afterwards that rules that out too....

I agree, but the shot probably takes place early on in the film in real time as it were. I reckon SP takes place atleast 3 months, possibly up to 6 after SF, with Bond having been tracking this Sciarra fellow in the interim.

That's my point yo wouldn't leave mi6 uncovered like this for more than a week never mind 6 months.

Maybe it's a shot for the trailer, or seen in flashback. Though flash backs are not very bond.
  • RC7RC7
    That's my point yo wouldn't leave mi6 uncovered like this for more than a week never mind 6 months.

They move into Whitehall at the end of SF. Perhaps there's some bureaucratic reasons for ditching the building, maybe they intend to tear it down. It signifies the Dench 'M' era. Could be many reasons.
    RC7 wrote: »

They move into Whitehall at the end of SF. Perhaps there's some bureaucratic reasons for ditching the building, maybe they intend to tear it down. It signifies the Dench 'M' era. Could be many reasons.

My hypothesis: budget cuts in government. They "temporary" movie the service in Whitehall.
    I distinctively remember Mendes saying that SP will take place around 2 years after the events of SF.

I think it was in one of the pre-release interviews, maybe Charlie Rose or even the press conference in December. He stated the reason he wanted to come back was to explore who these characters were moving forward and pick up the story 2 years later and see where they have got to.

After all, this is fiction, if Mendes wants the Mi6 building to be in a broken and dilapidated state for 2-3 years then, it's his world, he's more than welcome to.

I think it's a good idea to leave it like that, it serves a symbolic function. It's a vestige of the past and a hallmark of Dench's era as M and like her legacy it's crumbling and falling about.

The practical reasons as to why the building as been left to fester for two years makes sense to. Firstly, Mi6 have safely relocated since the initial attack so there is not need to restore its old home. Secondly, the amount of bureaucratic red-tape that needs to be cut through to destroy a building especially one of such previous significance would be immense. Furthermore, if anyone has any understanding of the British Government, they have an big problem with taking their time to do anything. I'd imagine the old Vauxhall building in SP will be filled with homeless people and drug addicts by now.
    If it is indeed years not weeks since the attack in SF, maybe it's a ruse to keep the building all dilapidated in appearance as per the half sunken Queen Elizabeth in Hong Kong Harbour in MWTGG so it's not so closely scrutinised?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    See Mi6 bulding like that was the biggest suprise of this teaser. Feels a bit like when P&W return. I thaught destroying it in Skyfall past of Dench M goodbye. But of course there is nothing good about goodbye (Shirley Bassey;) ) without saying goodbye to the past.
    Has there been another attack on Mi6? Looking at the trailer still and the real thing there's a damned sight more disturbed and missing than the SF explosion of M's office with the upper wing / verandah glazed sections:

73349.jpg

daniel-craig-and-rory-kinnear-8498-diaporama.jpg
    Thinking about it, we know that the explosion in Skyfall was big enough to kill 8 people, we saw the initial explosion, but how long did it take to put out the subsequent fires caused by the explosion, that possibility burnt inside without us seeing.

Also, with enough structural damage, they may have had to remove parts of the exterior to prevent further collapse.

This is, of course, conjecture.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    with enough structural damage, they may have had to remove parts of the exterior to prevent further collapse.

This is what I'm wondering - it would be stretching belief for another explosion!

skyfall.jpg

The source of the blast is focussed in the heart of the front face and whilst there would be whole sections of the building complex still useable, maybe the sprinkler system was disabled by Silva when he triggered the explosion & subsequent fires?
    I distinctively remember Mendes saying that SP will take place around 2 years after the events of SF.

I think it was in one of the pre-release interviews, maybe Charlie Rose or even the press conference in December. He stated the reason he wanted to come back was to explore who these characters were moving forward and pick up the story 2 years later and see where they have got to.

After all, this is fiction, if Mendes wants the Mi6 building to be in a broken and dilapidated state for 2-3 years then, it's his world, he's more than welcome to.

I think it's a good idea to leave it like that, it serves a symbolic function. It's a vestige of the past and a hallmark of Dench's era as M and like her legacy it's crumbling and falling about.

The practical reasons as to why the building as been left to fester for two years makes sense to. Firstly, Mi6 have safely relocated since the initial attack so there is not need to restore its old home. Secondly, the amount of bureaucratic red-tape that needs to be cut through to destroy a building especially one of such previous significance would be immense. Furthermore, if anyone has any understanding of the British Government, they have an big problem with taking their time to do anything. I'd imagine the old Vauxhall building in SP will be filled with homeless people and drug addicts by now.

This.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 1,068
    This is where real life and film storytelling will be poles apart.

In reality there'd be tonnes of scaffolding and temporary plastic sheeting or boarding that would disguise the structure much like many landmark buildings would when they're having a facelift. Even with bureaucracy slowing everything and tying it in knots there would be some effort to do this even if there's bickering on who does the repairs

Maybe the Government is being given the run around by their Insurance if such a thing exists or would this be the Treasury!

Instead we get a very symbolic piece with Bond motoring up the Thames in the RIB past the old rotten and apparently abandoned hulk.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd imagine the old Vauxhall building in SP will be filled with homeless people and drug addicts by now.

Dammit, that would be interesting to see.
    Shardlake wrote: »

His line is easily the most memorable of the teaser and is likely to go down as one of the classic bits of dialogue of the film.

" You are like a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr Bond" Love it!

I wonder if this is Jez Butterworth's dialogue. This and "I always knew death would wear a familiar face" are very poetic, along with Silva's line "Life clung to me like a disease". We didn't hear stuff like this in CR and QOS so I suspect these flourishes are what Butterworth is bringing to the script.
    Or Logan?
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

His line is easily the most memorable of the teaser and is likely to go down as one of the classic bits of dialogue of the film.

I wonder if this is Jez Butterworth's dialogue. This and "I always knew death would wear a familiar face" are very poetic, along with Silva's line "Life clung to me like a disease". We didn't hear stuff like this in CR and QOS so I suspect these flourishes are what Butterworth is bringing to the script.

Would like more of the same please!

Not totally sure whether Bond is the vehicle for such narrative mind but hey, he's supposed to be cultured/well read and an expert in everything you care to think of, why not the written word?
    Or Logan?

Maybe...I guess dialogue like this wouldn't be out of place on Penny Dreadful. But there's something about it that feels like playwright's dialogue
    Or Logan?
    Maybe...I guess dialogue like this wouldn't be out of place on Penny Dreadful. But there's something about it that feels like playwright's dialogue
    John Logan was a playwright before turning to screenwriting too.

Or Logan?
    John Logan was a playwright before turning to screenwriting too.

And he's at his best with dialogues.
    Not me but something I was planning to get around to do: Waltz lightened

47FC46C5-5BD8-433B-99DD-9D73FC38EA07.jpg
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Time files... The trailer was released one week ago!!
    I tried this earlier, for the Wardrobe thread. I think he's wearing a Janker.
    tumblr_nlzpkm99oO1rv0z1no1_500.jpg
    I tried this earlier, for the Wardrobe thread. I think he's wearing a Janker.
    tumblr_nlzpkm99oO1rv0z1no1_500.jpg

Works well with the character IMO.
    instanceke wrote: »

But we did hear that in OHMSS for instance. Michael Reed's added dialogue added some poetic vibes in it. Especially when Tracy and Blofeld are discussing the dawn, in the alpine room. Or when Blofeld is giving his speech about the Siamese fighting fish in FRWL. That kind of lines/dialogue.......you know, I'm quite happy Butterworth/Logan picked that up again. It's truly a trademark of the Bond franchise.
    andmcit wrote: »
    Not me but something I was planning to get around to do: Waltz lightened

47FC46C5-5BD8-433B-99DD-9D73FC38EA07.jpg

Also the interesting mark on the gentlemen on the right in the photo.