SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

Getafix wrote: »
    I've seen it twice. Enough for now I think.

I love the 'John Glen' animal scare.

I Wonder if that is indeed a nod to director John Glen? Sam Mendes becomes the 1st director since Glen to direct 2 consecutive Bond films.

Mendes being a fan of Alfred Hitchcock, I thought it was a nod to Hitchcock.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I Wonder if that is indeed a nod to director John Glen? Sam Mendes becomes the 1st director since Glen to direct 2 consecutive Bond films.

How is it a nod to Hitchcock? Just because they're birds? Or was Hitch the originator of the 'animal scare'?

I said before that the mystery part could feel quite Hitchcock-Ian. And those crows feel indeed a bit like "The Birds".

How is it a nod to Hitchcock? Just because they're birds? Or was Hitch the originator of the 'animal scare'?

Because of The Birds yes. Don't know if Hitch is at the origins of animal scares but he did use fake menace to create suspense and ominous atmosphere.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425

Because of The Birds yes. Don't know if Hitch is at the origins of animal scares but he did use fake menace to create suspense and ominous atmosphere.

In that case I'd say 'no'. I don't think Mendes is the kind of director who would see having birds in the film as a homage to Hitchcock - unless they're birds that attack of course.

I genuinely think it's an affectionate nod to the Glen movies.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 9
    re:dubbing - has anyone ever thought about the people who can't read subtitles because they are old and either can't read them physically or can't concentrate enough?
    I know, not all old people (i.e. for instance in countries where there is no dubbing) have that chance, but still: if my grandma had to watch everything subtitled, she would never ever watch a foreign film again.
    roko wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    I think this is Waltz dubbing himself in the German version, right?

I'm not sure he does, actually. His lines sound very monotonous here, and I somehow doubt that he would deliver them so well in English and not be able to make them equally chilling in German, his native tongue. What do the other German speakers around here think?

... As for the lacking German accent: Waltz lived in Londo for many years and resided now in LA. But I see what you mean, but then, do Pleasance, Savalas and Gray have a German accent? This might have gone in all this years.
    I didn't say anything about accents. Where did you read that? Or is that not in answer to my question?
    And in the German version of the trailer, Waltz speaks also with a monotonous voice.

That's what I meant. In the German trailer, he speaks monotonously, but in the English version he doesn't. His delivery of the line in English is much better.
    So I thought: Maybe it's not Waltz in the German version. Because, why would he be able to make the line so great in English, but would not make it interesting in German?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I am chuffed that Mr White is back. I never thought Mendes would return to that CR/QoS storyline. It's great news. Only one observation - why does Mr White look younger than he did in QoS? Wasn't he going grey before?

One other observation - sure this has been said elsewhere. But this appears to be another direct sequel. The MI6 building still shows the sign of the attack in SF and Bond is handed a box of personal artefacts from the ruins of his childhood home. So that's two immediate sequels within the Craig era.

I know Mendes ditched the idea that this would be the first in a two-parter, but it seems the films are becoming more and more closely related to each other. It has interesting implications for perceptions of QoS I think - as it will become an integral part of a wider narrative arc which people will feel obliged to watch in its entirety.

In that case I'd say 'no'. I don't think Mendes is the kind of director who would see having birds in the film as a homage to Hitchcock - unless they're birds that attack of course.

I genuinely think it's an affectionate nod to the Glen movies.

Maybe it is neither. But if it is anything, I would tend to go for Hitch's influence. The meeting scene I will say however is pure Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut. Without the masks and female nudity. Alas.
    I am chuffed that Mr White is back. I never thought Mendes would return to that CR/QoS storyline. It's great news. Only one observation - why does Mr White look younger than he did in QoS? Wasn't he going grey before?

One other observation - sure this has been said elsewhere. But this appears to be another direct sequel. The MI6 building still shows the sign of the attack in SF and Bond is handed a box of personal artefacts from the ruins of his childhood home. So that's two immediate sequels within the Craig era.

I know Mendes ditched the idea that this would be the first in a two-parter, but it seems the films are becoming more and more closely related to each other. It has interesting implications for perceptions of QoS I think - as it will become an integral part of a wider narrative arc which people will feel obliged to watch in its entirety.

Don't know if White looks younger, he is so worn out and vulnerable, a shadow of what he was in CR and QOS. Sometimes when your hair grow the grey is less obvious. My temples are far more grey after I had an haircut.

In a way, SP is the part 2 of SF, I feel.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,043
    It seems though Mendes says he wouldn't do a 2 film arc that SP is like a sequel to SF not quite so blatantly as QOS but I'm thinking this can only be mere months after the events of SF if not weeks.

If Bond 25 goes the way things are looking we'll be talking 3 films that directly follow each other in a row and considering that White's appearance is there to tie CR and QOS into it all, we are for the first time getting the continuity many of us have wanted.

Must echo @Getafix it is great to see White again. I always held with the belief that we were in the same universe as CR and QOS despite some critics claiming SF was another reboot. It's great to get your belief rewarded, Jesper Christensen is such a good actor and has invested so much more in a character that could have been quite forgettable. His skill has made him standout, each appearance in CR and QOS is memorable and his appearance in SPECTRE looks not to be booking that trend.

His line is easily the most memorable of the teaser and is likely to go down as one of the classic bits of dialogue of the film.

" You are like a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr Bond" Love it!
  • Ardi wrote: »
    re:dubbing - has anyone ever thought about the people who can't read subtitles because they are old and either can't read them physically or can't concentrate enough?
    There's lot of snobbery in the dubbing vs subtitles debate, so it's more about thinking how clever one is, than to think about bringing movies to everyone... No dubbing and say goodbye to the billion dollar box office, anyway.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Can we take the Subtitle V. Dubbing argument to it's own thread?
    Done. Here

JCRendle wrote: »
    Done. Here

Hallelujah choir.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Is there a way to remove all the dubbing vs. subtitles comments and transfer them to the other thread? ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Has anyone gone to a movie and seen the SPECTRE trailer yet? Going to see Furious 7 this weekend.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I could well be the only teacher on the planet showing all of their classes the teaser trailer. On a big screen, in HD, with surround sound!
    Very cool. And I bet a few of them actually appreciate you for things like this.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Do tell. What a surprise. Shocking, positively shocking. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Is it just me, or does the Mi6 building in the Spectre teaser, look more damaged than it did in Skyfall?
    http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Skyfall/pages/Skyfall-0230.htm

http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Skyfall/pages/Skyfall-0266.htm

Just an observation. But what happened to it?

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Benny wrote: »

Is it just me, or does the Mi6 building in the Spectre teaser, look more damaged than it did in Skyfall?

I had thought the same thing and just chalked it up to fire damage after the initial explosion. But after looking at the second photo you provided, it appears the fire was mostly contained with nowhere near as much damage as shown in the SPECTRE teaser.
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote: »

I had thought the same thing and just chalked it up to fire damage after the initial explosion. But after looking at the second photo you provided, it appears the fire was mostly contained with nowhere near as much damage as shown in the SPECTRE teaser.

Bit of artistic licence. It probably wouldn't look quite so dilapidated had they accurately followed up on the SF damage. I have to say, my immediate thought was that perhaps it was general weather damage. If it had been left to rot with no maintenance it's possible that it's crumbling away due to the elements. I'm not so sure it's 'directly' after SF, 'M' was moved from the the temp HQ back to Whitehall at the end of SF, so retconning this in SP might lead to a situation where the old MI6 has simply been abandoned, hence why it's in such bad condition.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    For those interested, I've managed to extract the audio channels from the original DVCPro file of the trailer.

SPECTRE TEASER TRAILER (MUSIC ONLY)

SPECTRE TEASER TRAILER (DIALOGUE ONLY)
    Was gonna upload these myself but was a bit miffed at how the music and FX tracks weren't separated :/ thanks anyway @marketto007!
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Bit of artistic licence. It probably wouldn't look quite so dilapidated had they accurately followed up on the SF damage. I have to say, my immediate thought was that perhaps it was general weather damage. If it had been left to rot with no maintenance it's possible that it's crumbling away due to the elements. I'm not so sure it's 'directly' after SF, 'M' was moved from the the temp HQ back to Whitehall at the end of SF, so retconning this in SP might lead to a situation where the old MI6 has simply been abandoned, hence why it's in such bad condition.

Don't forget it is IMO 95% sure it is some temporary CG that will be different from what we'll see in the final movie.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Don't forget it is IMO 95% sure it is some temporary CG that will be different from what we'll see in the final movie.

Very true.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,314
    I find this a bit silly. They'd put up some sort of covering over it within days. As If youre going to leave a major government building open to the elements. That is unless the shot is merely hours after the explosion, though considering everything that happened in Skyfall afterwards that rules that out too....
    Ardi wrote: »
    I know, not all old people (i.e. for instance in countries where there is no dubbing) have that chance, but still: if my grandma had to watch everything subtitled, she would never ever watch a foreign film again.
    Because she´s not used to it. It would be the same the other way round: If someone is used to original sound with subtitles, he will be initially put off if the voices were dubbed, unless the dubbing is really good. And it rarely is really good. It was extremely good in Germany way back, but it hasn´t been now for decades. With the old dubbing artists the attitude died.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,554
    I could well be the only teacher on the planet showing all of their classes the teaser trailer. On a big screen, in HD, with surround sound!

@Birdleson: Several of my students, knowing my fondness for Bond, chose to write a massive textual study of the Bond films during the counterculture movement: from YOLT to LALD. It was good stuff. Indeed, there were subtle changes in the character during this period.
    TripAces wrote: »

@Birdleson: Several of my students, knowing my fondness for Bond, chose to write a massive textual study of the Bond films during the counterculture movement: from YOLT to LALD. It was good stuff. Indeed, there were subtle changes in the character during this period.

What was the summary?