SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

@RC7 Well said! Some people started criticizing certain uses of the teal-orange colour combination a couple of years ago, and now every time a new movie has at least one scene that is bluish-yellowish, people shout "TEAL AND ORANGE"!
    I have to say, it is the most addictive teaser trailer I have seen in a long time.
    Admit it, how many times has everyone here estimate they've viewed it now? A handful, 10's, 100's or even more?

Guess it's been around 30 for me! It is addictive no doubt about it
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson, I'm like you, sir. I keep going back to it... Like trying to quit smoking. Just one more - one more can't harm... ;-)
    RC7 wrote: »
    MrBond wrote: »
    There is one thing that worries me about the cinematography and that is the orange and teal colour-scheme that is prevalent in so many films today. It does not just drive me nuts it's also cheap and very unnatural. Unfortunately there is much ornage and teal in the trailer. Hopefully that is just the colour temperature for the trailer and not for the actual film :)

I get where you're coming from, but this is not some graduate attempting to add the grade du jour to his movie as a bit of cheap gloss. Van Hoytema is next level and I think the orange and teal flavour of this trailer is simply because of the locations and design on offer. For example the Rome chase is going to look that way as that's pretty much the palette dictated by the creative team and the environment. I expect the opening in Mexico to be stunningly vibrant. If it does turn out to be overflowing with orange and teal tones I'll happily eat my words.

Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    On dubbing: I'm italian. I like to see movies in english, I often do it at home, I go to the cinema often in London when I'm there, same thing in the USA. What you've to understand is that in Italy the study of the english is something that was not usual until 10/20 years ago. There are a lot of people, especially 40 years old and more, that don't know english. More than this, italian dubbers are really good, like Prando
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg
    Nice. Are there screencaps like that out there for other Bond movies?
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg

Nice but seriously, someone out here has way way too much spare time!
    andmcit wrote: »
    Admit it, how many times has everyone here estimate they've viewed it now? A handful, 10's, 100's or even more?

Guess it's been around 30 for me! It is addictive no doubt about it

I have stopped counting.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    andmcit wrote: »
    Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg

Nice but seriously, someone out here has way way too much spare time!

@andmcit Good one!
    Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg

I'm not sure. It's from a Reddit user's study in cinematography. Probably more of a Deakins fan than a Bond fan tbh. I think it's masterful that - considering these scenes of course aren't shot in order - Deakins made an almost perfect pattern.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,745
    tnknilu.jpg

Looking at it, it looks like
    ACTION is tan
    MI6/WORK is grey
    SUSPENSE is blue
    &
    DRAMA is orange.
    Brilliant.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »
    MrBond wrote: »
    There is one thing that worries me about the cinematography and that is the orange and teal colour-scheme that is prevalent in so many films today. It does not just drive me nuts it's also cheap and very unnatural. Unfortunately there is much ornage and teal in the trailer. Hopefully that is just the colour temperature for the trailer and not for the actual film :)

I get where you're coming from, but this is not some graduate attempting to add the grade du jour to his movie as a bit of cheap gloss. Van Hoytema is next level and I think the orange and teal flavour of this trailer is simply because of the locations and design on offer. For example the Rome chase is going to look that way as that's pretty much the palette dictated by the creative team and the environment. I expect the opening in Mexico to be stunningly vibrant. If it does turn out to be overflowing with orange and teal tones I'll happily eat my words.

Skyfall for reference:
    tnknilu.jpg

SF is another example people should look at regards how to properly photograph a movie and why they shouldn't worry about SP too much.

The orange/teal fad is summed up in the image below...

trans_two5.jpg

It's straight out of a music video. It adds an artificial veneer to the image. SF and from the looks of it SP, use colour and hues to create evocative imagery.

SF shows it can do warm...

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-6625.jpg

...cold...

ay97371127film-skyfall-2012-e1357719329247.jpg

...and tonal contrast properly...

041112-skyfall-new-photos.jpg

While there are also moments where the balance and contrast is largely redundant of teal and orange...

skyfall662.jpg

These films are not comparable to the crop of recent blockbusters that do adhere to the teal/orange school of thought. They are lensed beautifully and the images are evocative, not merely music video style eye candy, with unnatural hues and contrast.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Univex wrote: »
    Dubbing is for idiots. Period. I NEVER watch dubbed films. It´s the most ridiculous thing. And, IMO, disrespectful to thespians all over.

Hm, all this about a franchise in which several actors were dubbed to sound better for the UK/US audience ? Including by the one who should not be named here :) ?
    Only people who don´t know any other language than their own like dubbing.

Eh ben.. "Pouffff". Oh, ca c'est le bruit du paradoxe qui implose sous le poids de ma simple existence. Eh ouais, Duschnock, en zyeutant bien, on trouve des pékins qui savent causer le rosbif, mais qui savent aussi apprécier le plaisir immédiat d'un film bien doublé quand le sujet est léger.
    Movie wise, there are always subtitles.

Do you know that the translation in the subtitles can be very, very poor ? People often overlook that IMO. Dubbing has the lip-sync constraints, but subtitles have the space constraints. In a chatty movie, it can be a big problem.

Une fois j'ai regardé l'Arnaque avec la version française et les sous-titres français, la vache.
    Dare I mention Nikki van der Zyl?
    JCRendle wrote: »
    She's the Voldemort I was alluding to :)
    Walecs wrote: »
    Which is not my case. I explained above that I watch movies dubbed because I prefer italian voices.

I prefer the French version of the Persuaders to the original version of the Persuaders (the dubbing is so incredible)
    I prefer the original version of Goldeneye to the French version (it was the start of the weird dubbing for Bond movies, I still can't believe I had to look at a French dictionnary to understand a French line in a Bond movie !)
    I think that making broad statements is the biggest problem actually. Comparaison n'est pas raison !

She's the Voldemort I was alluding to :)
    She deserves, and is long overdue, all the credit she can get.

Hm, all this about a franchise in which several actors were dubbed to sound better for the UK/US audience ?

There is a huge difference between dubbing a film while making it, and dubbing a finished movie. To give examples of the two scenarios:

1. Dubbing Gert Fröbe, while making Goldfinger. The guy did not speak English well, but the film is in English, so they dubbed him. The dubbing was a creative choice, made by the director or the producers.
    2. Dubbing the entirety of Goldfinger into German, for the German audience. The finished movie is altered for people who don't speak English and are too lazy to read subtitles.
  • Wow, I didn't realize that ! Merci d'avoir éclairé ma lanterne !
  • AVBAVB
    What an odious little urchin Walecs is.
    Wow, I didn't realize that ! Merci d'avoir éclairé ma lanterne !

Then why bring that up at all? By the way, what's the point of demonstarting again and again and again that you can write in your native language?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It's personal preference but if I watch films not in my native tongue I'll always pick subtitles. My Wife and watch so much world cinema and foreign TV that it's second nature to us both.

Watching dubbed things just take me out of the film I can't concentrate plus I don't get the intensity of the performance, watching DeNiro speaking Italian for the duration of his performance in GF2 is no problem to me I much prefer Coppola kept it authentic.

I wish Bond would embrace it more personally, QT got it so right with Inglourious Basterds, Waltz's performance is so more authentic for it.
    AVB wrote: »
    What an odious little urchin Walecs is.

There's no irony in me when I defend the dubbing. But I agree very good dubbing is so rare (and maybe over with the new Hollywood who wants to control everything ) that watching the original version with subtitle if you need it is often the better. I really had to look at a dictionnary to understand a French line in the French dubbed version of Goldeneye ! For one line, the French version of Bond talked like he was in the XVIIIth century !

But dubbing is IMO an art form, yes. And subtitles are not the obvious translation it seems to be. When there are lots of lines to translate in a few seconds, believe me, the subtitles can be a travesty, you're basically looking at a summary. The dubber will always say more than the subtitles. I gave an example in my French comments above.

• Then why bring that up at all?

I point out we talk about a franchise where the dubbing of some actresses is a taboo. So it's quite ironical some keep on writing dubbing is disrespectful for the actors.
    By the way, what's the point of demonstarting again and again and again that you can write in your native language?

Parce qu'il parait que ceux qui regardent des films doublés sont forcément des idiots qui ne parlent qu'une langue :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Then why bring that up at all?

I point out we talk about a franchise where the dubbing of some actresses is a taboo. So it's quite ironical some keep on writing dubbing is disrespectful for the actors.
    By the way, what's the point of demonstarting again and again and again that you can write in your native language?

Parce qu'il parait que ceux qui regardent des films doublés sont forcément des idiots qui ne parlent qu'une langue :)
    Vous devez créer votre propre forum de discussion, et vous pouvez enseigner aux membres de votre langue maternelle et les appeler idiots quand ils ont du mal à saisir. :)
    Can we get back on topic :)

Has anyone tried the trailer (my download) on their home cinema systems? Haven't had the chance to myself annoyingly....
    antovolk wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the trailer (my download) on their home cinema systems? Haven't had the chance to myself annoyingly....
    I watched it "live" on my home cinema system at 11:43 pm GMT when it was released! (They seemed to post it on their website a few minutes early) I had it hooked up to my laptop.

It looked perfect! And yes, I have since watched your 1080p version on the projector, even better!

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm traanslattun everythang into redneck... :D

Ims one of dem idiots dat don't parole dem languages..

And I'm just kidding ...no offense to anyone ..just self parody.

Thank you hthomas20, much appreciated.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,164
    antovolk wrote: »
    I watched it "live" on my home cinema system at 11:43 pm GMT when it was released! (They seemed to post it on their website a few minutes early) I had it hooked up to my laptop.

It looked perfect! And yes, I have since watched your 1080p version on the projector, even better!

Awesome! Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering how my version (since it uses the actual 5.1 surround sound track from the version sent to cinemas, hence also the improved image quality) stacked up on the sound front when playing it on a big home cinema system...since as you probably know, all the other versions are just stereo, as not as you'd hear in in theatres :)