Bring the old comedic Bond back? Yay or nay?

Comments

Nay, I disliked Moore's movies as Bond so I don't see why we should go back to them..after all Connery's Bond wasn't too comedic..it was dark with couple of puns here and there that I personally wouldn't be too mad to see Craig say in the PTS of SPECTRE for example
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I think the humour is done well in all the films, with the caveat that both Moore and Broz were asked to deliver some truly groaner lines, usually of the sexual double entendre variety.
    The others for the most part were spared such embarrassment.
    I think what opening post is getting at, is more the broader tone of the films. ie we are not likely to see Bond and Anya van-hijinks with Jaws at the pyramids, in a Craig film, or even a Connery film, at least not in a scene involving Bond.
    But I do think Craig Bond does deliver the glib very well.
    He's got some great lines in upcoming Spectre, known to those that have read ahead, worthy of prime Connery, or even some of the zingers that Flemings Bond would deliver, especially when he was insulting villains.
    Sardonic, dry wit is essential to Bond. This element was a staple of Fleming's Bond as well. In fact Fleming's Bond would engage utter frivolity at times. He takes off on a drunken beer binge with a random German drinking buddy he runs into in OHMSS.
    The pair had a real hoot.
    Some of the lines he delivers in YOLT could be right out of Monty Python, especially when he's verbally giving it to Blofeld and Bunt at the Castle of Death, but the humour never takes away from the danger element which is so prevalent in Fleming's work.
    My favourite funny Fleming is Goldfinger. Bond is relentless in his barbs and digs, directed at the expense of both Oddjob and Goldfinger, two utterly humourless villains.
    eg "How's the agoraphobia, Goldfinger?" as the two stroll down the vast, wide open expanse of the golf fairway. :))
    I think Craig's Bond has caught the spirit of essential Bond glibness.
    As someone mentioned, the facial expressions, we saw from Craig, during the initial meeting with Q, were vintage, worthy of some of Connery's best withering looks, and I think very much channeling Fleming's Bond as well.
    I think that Rogers 007 is a reflection of the times he lived in and to be honest nobody ever did it better.
    Craigs humour in the last three movies was not very spectacular to say it kindly it was sometimes so obviously aimed at the past of franchise in a look-at-me-being-better kind of way it was more annoying than funny.
    And to be honest I do not mind, as long as it fits the character of the Bond being played.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Based on the pitiful fare that they were trying to pass off as 'comedy' in SkyFall it's a big fat NO from me.
    The current production team wouldn't know subtle humour if it hit them in the cranium with a jackhammer.

Lightheartedness only works in Bond films if it is in good taste and subtle enough not to pull you out of the pace of the story. See TB for the very best interwoven humour from the franchise... ("Most girls just paddle around, you swim like a man" - "so do you, Mr Bond" ...."well I've had quite a bit of practice..."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    timmer wrote: »
    I think the humour is done well in all the films, with the caveat that both Moore and Broz were asked to deliver some truly groaner lines, usually of the sexual double entendre variety.
    The others for the most part were spared such embarrassment.
    I think what opening post is getting at, is more the broader tone of the films. ie we are not likely to see Bond and Anya van-hijinks with Jaws at the pyramids, in a Craig film, or even a Connery film, at least not in a scene involving Bond.
    But I do think Craig Bond does deliver the glib very well.
    He's got some great lines in upcoming Spectre, known to those that have read ahead, worthy of prime Connery, or even some of the zingers that Flemings Bond would deliver, especially when he was insulting villains.
    Sardonic, dry wit is essential to Bond. This element was a staple of Fleming's Bond as well. In fact Fleming's Bond would engage utter frivolity at times. He takes off on a drunken beer binge with a random German drinking buddy he runs into in OHMSS.
    The pair had a real hoot.
    Some of the lines he delivers in YOLT could be right out of Monty Python, especially when he's verbally giving it to Blofeld and Bunt at the Castle of Death, but the humour never takes away from the danger element which is so prevalent in Fleming's work.
    My favourite funny Fleming is Goldfinger. Bond is relentless in his barbs and digs, directed at the expense of both Oddjob and Goldfinger, two utterly humourless villains.
    eg "How's the agoraphobia, Goldfinger?" as the two stroll down the vast, wide open expanse of the golf fairway. :))
    I think Craig's Bond has caught the spirit of essential Bond glibness.
    As someone mentioned, the facial expressions, we saw from Craig, during the initial meeting with Q, were vintage, worthy of some of Connery's best withering looks, and I think very much channeling Fleming's Bond as well.

Agree with the above. Would love if Craig gets some lines ala Goldfinger the novel.
    Nay.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    If Bond 25 is a dark film, then I hope the next few films after that are more lighthearted. Honestly, I miss the style of the Brosnan films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Remington wrote: »
    If Bond 25 is a dark film, then I hope the next few films after that are more lighthearted. Honestly, I miss the style of the Brosnan films.
    +1. That makes two of us.
    Really depends on who’s playing Bond and if the humor will fit well into the situations. Craig’s sendoff should be on the darker side, but with the next actor you never know. When they tried going lighter with SP it backfired. SF had about the right amount of humor for a Craig Bond. Perhaps the next actor can be the funniest since Moore? I’m open to it being lighter or darker in tone - so long as the movie is good.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I think it's a case of striking a fine balance. Connery best summed it up when he said that with his Bond the audience was laughing with him, but with Moore's Bond it shifted to laughing at him. Myself, I prefer it when the quips are dry and the humour is measured. I recall sitting next to Kim Newman at the press showing of QOS, and him remarking afterwards that he enjoyed the movie but asked where was the fun. He wanted them to bring the fun back into Bond. Of course he wasn't suggesting double-taking pigeons, nor a gondola converting into a hovercraft, but something more upbeat. Clearly, Mendes tried to revive this in both his movies, which worked for some and fell flat for others. Personally, I always felt that the Cubby-Saltzman Bond movies got the balance right. Post-Saltzman was when the train started to come off the tracks, culminating in the Roger Moore slapstick Bond Years. Not a period I want to see repeated again.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    I think it's a case of striking a fine balance. Connery best summed it up when he said that with his Bond the audience was laughing with him, but with Moore's Bond it shifted to laughing at him. Myself, I prefer it when the quips are dry and the humour is measured. I recall sitting next to Kim Newman at the press showing of QOS, and him remarking afterwards that he enjoyed the movie but asked where was the fun. He wanted them to bring the fun back into Bond. Of course he wasn't suggesting double-taking pigeons, nor a gondola converting into a hovercraft, but something more upbeat. Clearly, Mendes tried to revive this in both his movies, which worked for some and fell flat for others. Personally, I always felt that the Cubby-Saltzman Bond movies got the balance right. Post-Saltzman was when the train started to come off the tracks, culminating in the Roger Moore slapstick Bond Years. Not a period I want to see repeated again.

I agree with the ‘fun’ sentiment. It’s not about being light-hearted, or funny, it’s about having a spark. Not being too earnest.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

I agree with the ‘fun’ sentiment. It’s not about being light-hearted, or funny, it’s about having a spark. Not being too earnest.

That s it. Not slapstick, but a glimmer in the eye.
    I like a wicked sense of humor slightly on the non-PC side of humor.

As for Roger nobody does it better or has done since, humor is a skill.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,804
    I say 'Nay'. I already commented on this thread some years ago. Nay matter.
    SaintMark wrote: »

I wonder if anyone at all could walk in Moore s shoes in that regard today, and still be a believable Bond.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I wonder if anyone at all could walk in Moore s shoes in that regard today, and still be a believable Bond.

No way. Broz (not his fault, though) failed miserably. Only Moore could do Moore-type one-liners without being cringe-inducing.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

No way. Broz (not his fault, though) failed miserably. Only Moore could do Moore-type one-liners without being cringe-inducing.
    I beg to differ.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thought someone would. But as I said, it's not Brosnan's fault. The dialogues in TWINE and DAD are among the worst exchanges ever written and purely embarrassing.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,441
    With Skyfall, but atleast two times in Spectre too, there rushed it. Eve is Moneypenny.
    The ''gunbarrel'' (eye barrel) set at the beginning of Spectre and silly humor joke with watch.
    Blofeld brother is not only rushed, but unneeded.

QOS and Spectre are good in black humor.

I whant a movie who is earlier like QOS/Spectre, but overall a movie who have thrill of Goldeneye, Octopussy and The Living Daylights.
    Nobody can replace Sir Roger as the 'lighter' Bond.
    And nobody should,thats as light as Bond should go.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The humour in DN and FRWL was perfect for Bond, thus they should try and emulate that. No cringe inducing one liners, no slot pulling elephants, and especially no "comedy" Sheriffs.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    One liners I am perfectly fine with. In fact, I advocate for them to make a comeback. But, those "comedy" elements in the seventies and the rest of the Moore era in the 80s have to go silent. It worked for his films and it should stay there. No car twisting whistles, no Tarzan yells.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't care what tone or approach they take really. I just hope they make sure they do what they do well. They shouldn't try to be what they're not.

If the writing isn't up to snuff in the one liner department or if their lead doesn't have what it takes to deliver the line with confidence, then drop it. In such a scenario it's best to go serious rather than making a bloody fool out of everyone just to emulate the past.

Keep it authentic & internally consistent, whatever you do.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Bring the old comedic Bond back? Yay or nay?
    Yay. Let him go outside and play for a while.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    One liners I am perfectly fine with. In fact, I advocate for them to make a comeback. But, those "comedy" elements in the seventies and the rest of the Moore era in the 80s have to go silent. It worked for his films and it should stay there. No car twisting whistles, no Tarzan yells.

I agree completely. Having comedy in the Bond films doesn’t mean a return to Moore era gags, it just means some wry humor every now and then.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 727
    They did bring back the humorous Bond! Haven't you lads seen Spectre? It was utterly complete with all the classic jabs, hooks and takedowns we expect out of our favourite secret agent. The fact that the movie was odious is immaterial of the fact that it did have jokes and there were attempts to land them with their composure intact!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I agree on the humor, @Benjamin_Weekly69. The "he's keen to get home" in Skyfall and the Italian opera lover in Spectre played perfectly fine for me. Then other humor through the action and dialog. Doing very well to my mind, and increasing over time.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,000
    They did bring back the humorous Bond! Haven't you lads seen Spectre? It was utterly complete with all the classic jabs, hooks and takedowns we expect out of our favourite secret agent. The fact that the movie was odious is immaterial of the fact that it did have jokes and there were attempts to land them with their composure intact!

True. The humor is SP was good. The toxicity in the film came from trying to combine the classic formula with Craig era emotional BS; giving us Bro-feld and a weak love story to screw it all up.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I say for the most part no; it would run the danger of becoming a parody.
    What they do need is an actor who is as comfortable with a quip as he is with action.

This is why I think Hugh Jackman was huge missed opportunity. He’s a solid actor who can do action as good, if not better than Craig and has a charm and ability to drop a humorous line with ease.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,280
    talos7 wrote: »
    I say for the most part no; it would run the danger of becoming a parody.
    What they do need is an actor who is as comfortable with a quip as he is with action.

This is why I think Hugh Jackman was huge missed opportunity. He’s a solid actor who can do action as good, if not better than Craig and has a charm and ability to drop a humorous line with ease.

Jackman would have been a great Bond. He's aged well too, which also makes not casting him an even more missed opportunity. Has he done a British accent in movies before?