Bring the old comedic Bond back? Yay or nay?

124»

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Jackman was way too heavily associated with Wolverine to have been Bond, unless you're talking before he was cast in X-Men, when he was mostly known for Aussie TV shows like Snowy River: The McGregor Saga and stage musicals? Then it would have been more of a case of casting him instead of Brosnan, not Craig. Anyway, this is a digression from the topic. Personally, I don't feel a Bond actor has to have the "Roger Moore light touch" to be a successful Bond. Connery wasn't particularly renowned for his comedic timing, unless we count his much later roles in The Man Who Would Be King and as Professor Henry Jones. His earlier attempts at comedy in On the Fiddle and A Fine Madness are seen more as curiosity pieces rather than success stories. It's certainly not where his strengths lie. What worked for Connery was that his Bond quips matched the mood of his movies, and weren't overtly silly with a wink to the audience - they were delivered deadpan. Some of them I believe were Connery's own cutting expressions or remarks. Personally, I didn't dislike Craig's attempts at humour because he too delivered them deadpan. It worked OK for me.