Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

Getafix wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I liked the tie straightening bit - especially in GE.

Surprise! ;)

Ok it's not a classic moment but it does raise a smile everytime I've seen it (lost count exactly how many years ago ;-) ).
    I know this is somewhat controversial but to me Craig's performance here is the best in the entire series. I really buy him as both a tortured soul and a man of action. =D>

I agree. I think this is often lost in the criticism of the editing and camerawork etc.

Craig's performance in QoS is very good indeed. And yes, I think he captures that idea of throwing yourself into a mission/job to escape personal pain (and secure vengeance/closure) very well.
    I'm of the opinion that his SF performance is his best so far. But they're all good, so this is real subjective.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,696
    Nothing beats straightening his own tie while being underwater. I don't care how ridiculous it is, I cheered when I first saw it as a kid, and I still do whenever I see it.

But to get back to QOS. I just love this film. Not a single boring moment, the action scene are breathtaking and the more 'quiet' scenes are interesting, epic cinematography and Craig is simply a true badass in this film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Getafix wrote: »
    I know this is somewhat controversial but to me Craig's performance here is the best in the entire series. I really buy him as both a tortured soul and a man of action. =D>

I agree. I think this is often lost in the criticism of the editing and camerawork etc.

Craig's performance in QoS is very good indeed. And yes, I think he captures that idea of throwing yourself into a mission/job to escape personal pain (and secure vengeance/closure) very well.

DC can do just about anything and it's riveting. He did a commercial for International Women's Day (no need to post You Tube link) in which he dressed as a woman and didn't say a word. And he STILL commanded attention. The man just oozes style and charisma.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Nothing beats straightening his own tie while being underwater. I don't care how ridiculous it is, I cheered when I first saw it as a kid, and I still do whenever I see it.

But to get back to QOS. I just love this film. Not a single boring moment, the action scene are breathtaking and the more 'quiet' scenes are interesting, epic cinematography and Craig is simply a true badass in this film.

Has your opinion of Dan softened over the years, @DaltonCraig007? It seems that at least for QoS you've found new things to appreciate that you might not have years previously. I feel like I've done the same thing with the Moore era in recent years, partly from your influence.
    Nice to see everyone sharing the love.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Never thought I'd see the day when a QoS appreciation thread received 31 pages of fluent, interesting dialogue. I love that I'm not the only one that is a die-hard fan of this film. I'll never forget my experience with the first night I saw in theaters (opening night, arrived early, spontaneously ran into a buddy there who saw it with me), and we both sat there, mouths agape, stunned the entire time at how beautifully entertaining this movie was.

CR brought the drama and the grit and such a deserved revival (of sorts) to the series that it needed after DAD and that four-year hiatus, but QoS just revved everything up to an 11: Bond is even more fragile and damaged, connecting with the equally damaged Camille (also underrated, and would truly be one of the only Bond girls I'd be totally cool with returning at some point), the action sequences were breathtaking throughout (minus a few spotty CGI moments during the airplane sequence), and it simply delivers. That's it. It's one of those films I can put in and be completely satisfied by every single time.
    To be fair, a few of my "fluent, interesting" additions aren't because of my die-hard love of the film, hahaha.

The people claiming that QOS would be talked about were right, at the very least.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a " Cufflink " fixing moment in QOS ? As DC
    Has done one in CR, putting on his tux, SF after jumping into the
    Passenger carriage, and I read somewhere he looks to do it in SP.
    I'm trying to think of one but so far my mind is a blank. :)

Hmm, I can't think of a moment either. This group has done such a stellar job at cataloguing the many objects Dan's Bond has tossed this way and that with reckless abandon, but we've never turned all of our energies to this particular challenge.

The only thing I can think of is when Guy Haines's bodyguard falls from the roof of the opera house, after the tussle, Bond gives his tux jacket a nice, stiff tug to straighten it out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    To be fair, a few of my "fluent, interesting" additions aren't because of my die-hard love of the film, hahaha.

The people claiming that QOS would be talked about were right, at the very least.

Totally understandable! Not everyone has to agree. It's a bit of a motto we've created over the years, because it would be dreadfully boring around here if we all had the same opinions. Plus, if this was 31 pages of QoS fans debating the film with QoS haters (in a nice, respectful, fun manner), that would be just as fine. I'm up for any debate, as long as it can be level-headed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 When I left the cinema after seeing SF I was breathtaken at the epic spectacle I had just seen, and when I got home it was, oh around 11pm, I was so excited and pumped up I decided to watch CR and QOS back to back before sleeping, and I was struck at the true badassery of Craig, I said to myself 'what on earth didn't I like before?'. Craig's acting, Eva Green, the cinematography, the action scenes, the Arnold soundtracks... they all felt wonderful to me.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I've always liked QoS, more later on than I did when I first saw it, granted, but this thread is really making me want to watch it again. It'll probably be this weekends Bond film for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 When I left the cinema after seeing SF I was breathtaken at the epic spectacle I had just seen, and when I got home it was, oh around 11pm, I was so excited and pumped up I decided to watch CR and QOS back to back before sleeping, and I was struck at the true badassery of Craig, I said to myself 'what on earth didn't I like before?'. Craig's acting, Eva Green, the cinematography, the action scenes, the Arnold soundtracks... they all felt wonderful to me.

That's extremely great to hear, @DaltonCraig007, and while my feelings on the Moore era haven't improved as exponentially, there was still a big change than went on in regards to my opinion of the era recently.

While rereading some of my earliest posts I made on this forum a few years back, I almost choked on my tongue at the sheer pompousness of some of my statements. I reeked of a Connery fanboy off the handle, and seemed to hate any Bond actor or Bond film that didn't live up to his golden four during his era, sparing only Craig's films in my onslaught. And, because Moore's era was so different from the brutal, calculating Bond I'd loved in Connery's take on the character, it was an easy target for my then naive mind.

A year or so after those tirades I did a run through of the Moore era, giving them a second chance after hearing members such as yourselves washing the films in glory. Sure enough, over time my opinion of the era went from "they're rubbish," to "they've got their moments." I enjoyed the macabre tension and supernatural flair of LALD, the epic scale and exotic visuals of TSWLM, and a more earnest and hardened Bond in FYEO, amongst other things. The cinematography popped, the stunts were in a class of their own, and the opening title songs are for my money, the best of the series in consistency.

Moore's Bond now holds a place in my heart not only as one of the most roguishly charming 007s right up there with Sean's, but also the most cultured of the lot. I love hearing his Bond go on and on about the cultures of the many places he's visiting, expounding his vast knowledge of everything from the best drinks and foods to extremely esoteric factoids that could only become known by a man who'd lived in up everywhere he went. And with Moore's Bond, you really do get the feeling of a man who has been everywhere and experienced all the treats the world had on offer. I'd love to see a Bond in our more modern age that shows off such knowledge every once in a while like Sean was known to do every once in a while and which Moore capitalized on during his era.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 That's great to hear! Always awesome to see someone appreciate new Bond films, actors, etc.

Because life's too short to dislike things.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425

That's extremely great to hear, @DaltonCraig007, and while my feelings on the Moore era haven't improved as exponentially, there was still a big change than went on in regards to my opinion of the era recently.

While rereading some of my earliest posts I made on this forum a few years back, I almost choked on my tongue at the sheer pompousness of some of my statements. I reeked of a Connery fanboy off the handle, and seemed to hate any Bond actor or Bond film that didn't live up to his golden four during his era, sparing only Craig's films in my onslaught. And, because Moore's era was so different from the brutal, calculating Bond I'd loved in Connery's take on the character, it was an easy target for my then naive mind.

A year or so after those tirades I did a run through of the Moore era, giving them a second chance after hearing members such as yourselves washing the films in glory. Sure enough, over time my opinion of the era went from "they're rubbish," to "they've got their moments." I enjoyed the macabre tension and supernatural flair of LALD, the epic scale and exotic visuals of TSWLM, and a more earnest and hardened Bond in FYEO, amongst other things. The cinematography popped, the stunts were in a class of their own, and the opening title songs are for my money, the best of the series in consistency.

Moore's Bond now holds a place in my heart not only as one of the most roguishly charming 007s right up there with Sean's, but also the most cultured of the lot. I love hearing his Bond go on and on about the cultures of the many places he's visiting, expounding his vast knowledge of everything from the best drinks and foods to extremely esoteric factoids that could only become known by a man who'd lived in up everywhere he went. And with Moore's Bond, you really do get the feeling of a man who has been everywhere and experienced all the treats the world had on offer. I'd love to see a Bond in our more modern age that shows off such knowledge every once in a while like Sean was known to do every once in a while and which Moore capitalized on during his era.

Great post!

I've always said if you can't enjoy a good Rogering, well, one way or the other, you're buggered.

The Moore movies are about pure unadulterated enjoyment.

And great tunes as well. Feel sorry for those who are unable to feel pleasure from Sir Rog. There must be something wrong with them as it's definitely not due to any inadequacy in the Roginator's performance.

Makes me feel sad for the rest.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    QoS is the underrated gem that LTK used to be. When people look back on Craig's six film tenure they will think more favourably of Craig's second outing.
    3:-O
    I've always said if you can't enjoy a good Rogering, well, one way or the other, you're buggered.

Sorry @Getafix but that made me cringe quite a bit #-o
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    QoS is the underrated gem that LTK used to be. When people look back on Craig's six film tenure they will think more favourably of Craig's second outing.

I like the sound of that.

Of course DC will return, he's one of the most successful bond actors there has been. Connery returned. Moore kept on returning. I think it's common knowledge that EON prefers to hold on to established actors rather than recasting the role. It makes complete sense. Recasting means starting from the ground up. You don't just need a new bond that audiences will accept (that's hard enough), but you need a new angle, a new direction. That's why there has only been six actors in the role. It's way safer for EON to choke up another 30 million and have DC return for one more outing than recasting the role and taking a 300 million dollar gamble. Anyway, even after another 3 years, that still only makes DC 52 when they begin filming on bond 26, which is what Tom Cruize is now and he doesn't look unconvincing in the new MI:5 trailer.
    At this point I think it's a given DC will return after bond 25
    doubleoego wrote: »

I like the sound of that.

I had to look form my anti depression pills. three more movies sweet deity of some sorts.....

;)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Craig's face will be remarkable, negatively speaking, if he does make a 6th film. He'll be 53, if they follow this damn "one film every three-four years" schedule.

For those ready to highlight that Roger was considerably older:
    Take a look at Moore in TMWTGG and then take a look at Craig in SF (46 and 43 respectively). One of them has aged much faster, and it isn't Sir Roger.

I like a veteran looking Bond as much as the next guy, but if nu-EON is focused on making more "realistic" Bond films, they won't want Craig in the role when he's 53 going on 70. He definitely looked damn near 50 in SF, in my opinion.
    Of course DC will return, he's one of the most successful bond actors there has been. Connery returned. Moore kept on returning. I think it's common knowledge that EON prefers to hold on to established actors rather than recasting the role. It makes complete sense. Recasting means starting from the ground up. You don't just need a new bond that audiences will accept (that's hard enough), but you need a new angle, a new direction. That's why there has only been six actors in the role. It's way safer for EON to choke up another 30 million and have DC return for one more outing than recasting the role and taking a 300 million dollar gamble. Anyway, even after another 3 years, that still only makes DC 52 when they begin filming on bond 26, which is what Tom Cruize is now and he doesn't look unconvincing in the new MI:5 trailer.

Only Craig can know what his body will endure. If he's willing to cut back on doing so many of his own stunts, Craig could conceivably do four more.
    I think he should quit after Bond 25. As much as I love AVTAK I don't think EON wants to be in that situation again. There comes a point in time when "playing it safe" by keeping the incumbent is just foolish.

But hey, who knows what the future holds, as Dr. Steve Brule always says.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883

This is true, but my understanding is that Sony's involvement is likely over after SP. In this case, if a new studio comes in, they may have other ideas for our favourite spy. Sony came in when Bond was recast with Craig and they were involved in that process from what I recall (Amy Pascal supported and signed off on Craig) so there are bigger factors potentially at play (i.e. moola) and of course, DC may not want to continue after B25, particularly if Mendes does not stick around (I think he will pack it in once he's exhausted the character's growth arc personally).
    If Craig does B25, he will tie Moore's record of longest tenure, yes?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    If Craig does B25, he will tie Moore's record of longest tenure, yes?

Yes, if it comes out in 2018.

Amazing that Moore was able to fit in 7 and Craig will only get in 5 during the same time frame due to the length it takes to get things done these days.

Even if he does only 5 though, I think he'll be up there with Connery/Moore as one of the benchmark Bonds. He'll likely get knighted too at some point like those two, given he's already helped HRH out during the Olympics.
    Craig looks a LOT older than he actually is.He is not ageing well at all.He would be wise to call it a day after his fifth film in which he will no doubt look like hes in his sixties.

Regarding QOS, i think Calvin Dysons review of it on youtube is the most accurate assessment of the film.Bear in mind that he does like Craig and CR and thinks QOS is by far the worst Bond film ever made.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Craig looks a LOT older than he actually is.He is not ageing well at all.He would be wise to call it a day after his fifth film in which he will no doubt look like hes in his sixties.

Regarding QOS, i think Calvin Dysons review of it on youtube is the most accurate assessment of the film.Bear in mind that he does like Craig and CR and thinks QOS is by far the worst Bond film ever made.

Craig looks younger now than he did during Skyfall, and happier too. He seems alot more relaxed, not paranoid like he was for the first two. So you have an actor that is comfortable in the role and millions of people around the world that want to see him play Bond. It would be madness not to throw money at him for AT LEAST one more.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't see DC looking old. Looks fine to me.