Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Won't be posting on the site again can't believe the last few comments totally out of order. People with sad little life's who live their life out on the Internet who think their opinion on absolutely anything just to have their say because their so dam self important. Did you consider the fact the clothing was for doing PR work and is part of my job to keep up with what Bond wears? Your just not as important as you think you are.

Did you consider the fact that some of us were joking? I love the outfits, just to make that clear. Stick around.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Won't be posting on the site again can't believe the last few comments totally out of order. People with sad little life's who live their life out on the Internet who think their opinion on absolutely anything just to have their say because their so dam self important. Did you consider the fact the clothing was for doing PR work and is part of my job to keep up with what Bond wears? Your just not as important as you think you are.

Did you consider the fact that some of us were joking? I love the outfits, just to make that clear. Stick around.

I appreciate your post. But the prior poster to you was what really got my back up "I'm put off by all of this" thats the comment of a turd.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    I was fooling around man. @SirHilaryBray, no harm intended.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh Hilly!

Come on. We're all having a bit of fun. The outfits look spiffy. Let's see some OHMSS kilt looks next.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh Hilly!

Come on. We're all having a bit of fun. The outfits look spiffy. Let's see some OHMSS kilt looks next.

Hahaha! All in good fun.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554

I appreciate your post. But the prior poster to you was what really got my back up "I'm put off by all of this" thats the comment of a turd.

Don't worry about it. If you look in the "Pictures of Yourself" thread, you'll find me decked out in Bond's "Enjoying Death" outfit.

I think DC has terrific style, on and off screen--in fact, I think he keeps most of his clothing from the wardrobe department. He wears the "Layer Cake" leather jacket all the time. He also wears the gray cardigan and Scotch/Soda jeans from TGWTDT. Now, most of my clothing emulates his taste. I can't say it's a bad thing...more and more people comment on how "good" I look.

Check this out (we're not alone):

It's all good. Cheers for your posts. ;)
    TripAces wrote: »

Don't worry about it. If you look in the "Pictures of Yourself" thread, you'll find me decked out in Bond's "Enjoying Death" outfit.

I think DC has terrific style, on and off screen--in fact, I think he keeps most of his clothing from the wardrobe department. He wears the "Layer Cake" leather jacket all the time. He also wears the gray cardigan and Scotch/Soda jeans from TGWTDT. Now, most of my clothing emulates his taste. I can't say it's a bad thing...more and more people comment on how "good" I look.

ENJOYING DEATH great look. Only out done by the QOS Cardigan got one of those. Couldn't get the Zara enjoying death shirt considered magnolia replica but there was so many sizing issues. Still check eBay every day for one. Congrats.

Didn't mean to offend you man. My apologies. It was all goofing around.

Didn't mean to offend you man. My apologies. It was all goofing around.

Appreciate that your a gent!.

edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554

ENJOYING DEATH great look. Only out done by the QOS Cardigan got one of those. Couldn't get the Zara enjoying death shirt considered magnolia replica but there was so many sizing issues. Still check eBay every day for one. Congrats.

That is not the actual Zara shirt. I found a Lucky Jeans floral pattern shirt that was very very close, even included the breast pockets.

I found a black shawl collar cardigan by Kenneth Cole that is like the one in QoS. That look, with the white dress shirt, slim khakis, and dark brown desert boots is one of my faves. It is also based on Steve McQueen's style from the 60s.

The mods will probably ask us to move this to the Daniel Craig appreciation thread.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2015 Posts: 28,694

I know Dan's style definitely informs the looks of the characters he plays. In the Bond films for instance, he is VERY involved in what Bond wears, so much so that some of the clothing comes from his own closet, so to speak. The Billy Reid peacoat he wears in Skyfall comes to mind, an article he expressly selected for the movie. I'm sure that's the case for a lot of his other films too. It brings an actor's performance in a role to a whole new level when they add new layers to that character's identity by fitting them with a certain fashion style.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Dan is not my favourite Bonf by a long stretch. He is in fifth position for me. But I have A lot of respect for him. He puts In a lot of effort. And for that he has my respect.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Dan is not my favourite Bonf by a long stretch. He is in fifth position for me. But I have A lot of respect for him. He puts In a lot of effort. And for that he has my respect.

But only fifth place. ;)
    Getafix wrote: »

But only fifth place. ;)

On my own list, fifth place is still pretty damn good.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Depending on my mood and film I'm watching. For me Connery is #1 but
    Both Dalton and Craig, keep changing order for #2. :)) but I do think on
    Balance DC is becoming more difficult to move from his #2 stance, but
    Who knows he might even move higher to equal Sir Sean ! :D
    Most accurate review of Quantum Of Solace i have ever seen..https://youtu.be/CRvVc8QfCto
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Check out the last 15 seconds of this video.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've officially decided now (in my head) that White canonically killed Haines and we just didn't get to see it or have mention of it. A little notice of this in SP would have been great. When Bond is driving in Rome and the Pale King is revealed to be White, it could have been dropped that he fell off the grid after the murder of Haines at his own residence years back.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    QOS' poor plot and narrative.

Writer's strike and all QoS' plot was miles ahead of SF and SP and not as riddled with holes as swiss cheese. It's failings were in other areas (editing and the biggest joke of a henchman for instance).

I appreciate QoS more on each viewing.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Elvis was not meant to be a super henchman or seriously menacing. He just thought he was.

But yes I've always enjoyed and appreciated QoS. Agree or not Forster had a vision for his film and executed it unlike SP.
  • RC7RC7
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Elvis was not meant to be a super henchman or seriously menacing. He just thought he was.

But yes I've always enjoyed and appreciated QoS. Agree or not Forster had a vision for his film and executed it unlike SP.

Do we have evidence that Mendes didn't execute his vision for SP?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I know this is an appreciation thread, but I'm sorry, Elvis was useless imho. He is firmly at the bottom of my henchman list, along with those three losers from TWINE (Davidov, Bullion & Gabor).
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    bondjames wrote: »
    I know this is an appreciation thread, but I'm sorry, Elvis was useless imho. He is firmly at the bottom of my henchman list, along with those three losers from TWINE (Davidov, Bullion & Gabor).

Who was Elvis? Sorry he was just so forgettable. And I do appreciate QoS, the car chase is brilliant.
    What was he meant to be? Comedic relief? I honestly don't know. The equivalent of Tanner?
  • RC7RC7
    Sark wrote: »
    What was he meant to be? Comedic relief? I honestly don't know. The equivalent of Tanner?

He's indicative of the film in general. A number of ideas that didn't really go anywhere.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes, collective international reviews and audience reaction. Common criticisms across shared several markets.

I still enjoyed the film so don't even go there with your typical rude retort.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes, collective international reviews and audience reaction. Common criticisms across shared several markets.

I still enjoyed the film so don't even go there with your typical rude retort.

I was talking about Mendes' vision. The reviews were equally mixed for QoS but there seems to be a general agreement that the film is (largely) what Forster had in mind. I don't see anything to suggest SP is not what Mendes was aiming for.
    I felt there was a tonal consistency to QoS which holds up on repeated viewing. You either like it or you don't but it's consistent. I felt that way when I saw it for the first time in the theatre, and I still do.

I didn't feel that way with SP. I felt it was somewhat all over the map tonally. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get a feel for what Mendes may have been driving at when I watch the blu ray. Perhaps it's all the 'dead' themes which were mentioned in the Appreciation thread, and if so, it just went all over my head in the theatre.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,138
    When even people who whose English isn't perfect comment coming out of the theatre that the relationship between Bond and Lea wasn't believable something didn't get executed.