Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• Perhaps if there are more deleted scenes including the one with Mr White sending this film would make more dvd sales and 2nd opinions. The only person defending their work on this film is Marc Forster. This is very loyal of him to stand by his work.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As a whole I enjoy QoS. The only thing I don't like about QoS is it's frantic editing. Other than that, it's a solid picture.
  • RC7RC7
    Perhaps if there are more deleted scenes including the one with Mr White sending this film would make more dvd sales and 2nd opinions. The only person defending their work on this film is Marc Forster. This is very loyal of him to stand by his work.

Not sure what this means?

• RC7 wrote:
    Perhaps if there are more deleted scenes including the one with Mr White sending this film would make more dvd sales and 2nd opinions. The only person defending their work on this film is Marc Forster. This is very loyal of him to stay his work.

I mean about a future dvd release. Perhaps if a different cut of the film showing more scenes if any, even if just Mr White's scene that's missing can have a difference of swaying over some more fans.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Perhaps if there are more deleted scenes including the one with Mr White sending this film would make more dvd sales and 2nd opinions. The only person defending their work on this film is Marc Forster. This is very loyal of him to stay his work.

I mean about a future dvd release. Perhaps if a different cut of the film showing more scenes if any, even if just Mr White's scene that's missing can have a difference of swaying over some more fans.

They won't release a different cut. No chance.
  • RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I wish someone had the chance to start an online petition to get a longer cut of QoS :)

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I wish someone had the chance to start an online petition to get a longer cut of QoS :)

It doesn't need it. Though it has its shortcomings, it does end very well. I think they made a good decision, editorially.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Let's resist the temptation to start a petition in an effort to subtract ourselves from the internet age of idiots who think petitioning to get an actor/actress recast in a film because they're a little cross about the announcement is a good and worthwhile use of time. In a world where we are ravaged by poverty, war and debt, I think people can suffer through Ben Affleck being Batman, or in this case, having only the standard cut of QoS minus the deleted scenes to enjoy.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In a world where we are ravaged by poverty, war and debt, I think people can suffer through Ben Affleck being Batman, or in this case, having only the standard cut of QoS minus the deleted scenes to enjoy.
    Hahahaha, very well put.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    In a world where we are ravaged by poverty, war and debt, I think people can suffer through Ben Affleck being Batman, or in this case, having only the standard cut of QoS minus the deleted scenes to enjoy.
    Hahahaha, very well put.

Bravo!
    They had their chance to release an ultimate edition of QOS for the Bond 50 set complete with commentaries,deleted scenes, and other extras but they didnt bother.Bit weird that all the other Bond films got the full special features treatment but QOS didnt.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2014 Posts: 1,257
    I have always said that QOS is a bit of a paradox in that its parts are greater than its whole. QOS has a lot of great scenes and aspects, but for some reason, they don't translate into a great film. Seeing as this is an appreciation thread, I'll briefly mention a few of these things that I did like.

I love the PTS! I was immediately enthralled from the moment I saw that beautiful panning shot over the lake coupled with that ominous music. I remember how tense I was watching this scene for the first time. There is some excellent action in this sequence. I cringe every time I see that car smash into that oncoming truck. I also love when the police vehicle crashes into the building only to roll down the hill into Bond's path. Finally, when Bond unloads a several rounds into the final car sending it flying off the ledge. That was a great shot!

Other great scenes are the excellent fight between Bond and Slate, the whole opera scene, the scene where Bond is being taken into custody after being suspended by M (Arnold's track "Oil Fields" works perfectly), and lastly, the scene where Bond confronts Yusef.

I also love the investigative work in the film. There were some good quick and efficient steps that lead from Mitchell to Slate, and Slate to Greene.

And I mentioned David Arnold earlier; his score is excellent. Its too bad he didn't return for Skyfall.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five, that's what I love about the QoS PTS: as soon as it starts and those engines rev up, I know exactly what I'm in for for the next (near) two hours: one hell of a good time.
  • Yes, the PTS is well shot and the score was built to fit the film as the director worked closely with Arnold, who is missed.
  • Every time I see something shiny and silver that looks contemporary or a modern attempt at some item that's classic I think of QoS.

For example a silver binder clip did the trick for me. Maybe it's because of the aeroplane, Yusef's desk lamp, or something silver that stood out. Any ideas why? Shiny silver can make something look contemporary and that's the style of QoS' set pieces. The film was described as a "modern look at post-modernism" whatever that means.
  • What a difference a Bond girl makes. Camille was a sort of parallel to Bond and he actually learns from her example. What more symbolic a place to drop her off than a train station next to a cemetery?

It's this kind of character-drivrn depth and symbolism that makes fans not want to say goodbye to her. Certainly a character worth caring for. It was just as deep as it was shocking when Bond was considering to shoot her during the fire scene.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    (I'm taking the liberty of reposting this from another thread, as I realize it is probably most appropriate here)

I watched Quantum of Solace last night. It's been awhile since last time, and rewatching made me realize and rediscover a few things:

1. Amalric is fantastic! People say he is boring and unspectacular, but I disagree. For me he is the perfect, realistic, plausible modern villain (I realize som people don't like that, but from my point of view it is a definitive plus). He has a menacing persona and steals every scene he is in. I didn't realize how much I actually like him until last night.

2. I do actually quite like the plot. It was probably in need of a polish, as there are some ideas or elements that seem underdeveloped, and other elements that maybe should have been scrapped completely. But how Quantum as an organisation is revealed, its very realistic and plausible deeds, how almost every character has emotional and conflicting struggles throughout the film, general themes of trust, revenge, duty vs moral vs emotion... I can't help myself really liking it. And now when i do understand the plot, it actually makes a lot of sense and seems suspensefull to me. Yes it does!

3. I have grown to really love some of the scenes. The final confrontation with Yusef and the opera scene are widely considered to be good (iconic Bond moments in my opinion), but also Bond and Camille meeting in Haiti, pretty much every scene with Mathis, Bond being arrested by M and later regaining her trust, Bonds conversation with Leiter, Bond leaving Greene to die in the desert... They're all really good in my opinion.

4. The supporting cast is even better than I remembered. I have almost no complaints about the cast (maybe apart from "Elvis", but to be fair the character is hopelessly undeveloped). Giancarlo Giannini is a real standout performer in my opinion.

5. The cinematogrophy is mind blowing! Much better than i remembered. It's on par with Skyfall at times in my opinion. Filming almost exclusively on location gives the film a unique grittines and style for the franchise.

6. The script is actually really well written in parts. Some of the lines are excellent. Again the scenes with Mathis stand out. It's weird though, as the script seems to fluctuate between excellent and amateur like. It would be interesting to know which scenes are actually written by the screenwriters, and which are written by Craig and Forster.

This film will never be one of my top favourites. It simply feels slightly unfinished and rushed, too convoluted and frantic. And the editing and, at times, dissapointing action lets the film down. But I will allways be one of the film's defenders, and I enjoyed it more than ever before last night.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    jobo wrote:
    (I'm taking the liberty of reposting this from another thread, as I realize it is probably most appropriate here)

I watched Quantum of Solace last night. It's been awhile since last time, and rewatching made me realize and rediscover a few things:

1. Amalric is fantastic! People say he is boring and unspectacular, but I disagree. For me he is the perfect, realistic, plausible modern villain (I realize som people don't like that, but from my point of view it is a definitive plus). He has a menacing persona and steals every scene he is in. I didn't realize how much I actually like him until last night.

2. I do actually quite like the plot. It was probably in need of a polish, as there are some ideas or elements that seem underdeveloped, and other elements that maybe should have been scrapped completely. But how Quantum as an organisation is revealed, its very realistic and plausible deeds, how almost every character has emotional and conflicting struggles throughout the film, general themes of trust, revenge, duty vs moral vs emotion... I can't help myself really liking it. And now when i do understand the plot, it actually makes a lot of sense and seems suspensefull to me. Yes it does!

3. I have grown to really love some of the scenes. The final confrontation with Yusef and the opera scene are widely considered to be good (iconic Bond moments in my opinion), but also Bond and Camille meeting in Haiti, pretty much every scene with Mathis, Bond being arrested by M and later regaining her trust, Bonds conversation with Leiter, Bond leaving Greene to die in the desert... They're all really good in my opinion.

4. The supporting cast is even better than I remembered. I have almost no complaints about the cast (maybe apart from "Elvis", but to be fair the character is hopelessly undeveloped). Giancarlo Giannini is a real standout performer in my opinion.

5. The cinematogrophy is mind blowing! Much better than i remembered. It's on par with Skyfall at times in my opinion. Filming almost exclusively on location gives the film a unique grittines and style for the franchise.

6. The script is actually really well written in parts. Some of the lines are excellent. Again the scenes with Mathis stand out. It's weird though, as the script seems to fluctuate between excellent and amateur like. It would be interesting to know which scenes are actually written by the screenwriters, and which are written by Craig and Forster.

This film will never be one of my top favourites. It simply feels slightly unfinished and rushed, too convoluted and frantic. And the editing and, at times, dissapointing action lets the film down. But I will allways be one of the film's defenders, and I enjoyed it more than ever before last night.

I agree with everything mentioned here. I enjoy QOS more with every viewing, and I do expect it to climb up my rankings.

QOS is a short, snappy film that left me very satisfied upon my first viewing.
    Skyfall wasn't the best Bond release we ever had, but it's simply a better all round adventure than the other.

You meant . . . "in your opinion". Right?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    IMO, IMO is an oxymoron here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Just moronic, I think. If someone makes a statement like "Sean Connery is the best James Bond" it's pretty obvious that it is their opinion, and not fact, yet some people still get worked up over it at times. It would be annoying to add "in my opinion" at the end of every statement we make, wouldn't it?

Just moronic, I think. If someone makes a statement like "Sean Connery is the best James Bond" it's pretty obvious that it is their opinion, and not fact, yet some people still get worked up over it at times. It would be annoying to add "in my opinion" at the end of every statement we make, wouldn't it?

I actually add 'in my opinion' from time to time just to avoid someone saying "Yeah, well that's your opinion." I try not to call people out on it, but if someone says, for example, "Thunderball is the best Bond film ever, that's a fact," then of course I'll say something to them.
    Excellent film loved it from moment i watched it, one friend who watched it with me did not like it saying it was dated. One of the things i enjoyed about the movie was the retro feel. Its a hard edged action movie and some of the editing works i think to drag you into the moment Bond is stuck in. Its quite a intense movie at times, and more focused than its given credit for.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Every time I see something shiny and silver that looks contemporary or a modern attempt at some item that's classic I think of QoS.

For example a silver binder clip did the trick for me. Maybe it's because of the aeroplane, Yusef's desk lamp, or something silver that stood out. Any ideas why? Shiny silver can make something look contemporary and that's the style of QoS' set pieces. The film was described as a "modern look at post-modernism" whatever that means.

That is a quote from MGW, and means absolutely nothing - it is gibberish.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    It would be annoying to add "in my opinion" at the end of every statement we make, wouldn't it?

I think it would make some posts less annoying. A simple "I think" or "imo" takes a few seconds to type and makes an opinionated post seem much less arrogant.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Whilst as a 'film' QoS suffers (it's a bit hyperactive and doesn't really build anything), I still marginally prefer it to Skyfall, in some weird way.

- The 'Tosca scene' in Bregenz is one of Craig's best moments as Bond, a real classic 007 scene...it just oozed class, atmosphere & easily tops anything Skyfall had to offer i.m.o .

- The Airplane stunt was, to my mind, far more thrilling and impressive than SF's pedestrian action...

As pure entertainment QoS does work for me.

IYO, you mean.

IYO, you mean.

In my opinion, yes. Except for the "Sean Connery is the best James Bond" part. We all know that is fact. ;)
    IOU.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that most certainly is an indisputable fact. ;-)

I guess I haven't really stated my appreciation in a while, so a short tidbit: I think the fight between Bond and Slate is the greatest fight in the Bond series (in terms of raw action), and I don't see it ever being toppled off that spot for me.