Is "Bond goes Japanese" the silliest thing in Connery's era?

1235»

Comments

• edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I like TB but the use of the rocket pack is pretty daft nowadays. I understand that it was impressive back in 1965 but now it looks gimmicky. Aside from the bad back projection I can't quite get over how Connery just picks it up off the ground.

Another contender: the Looney Tunes gangsters in Goldfinger.
  • What about the daft moon buggy chase in DAF. Just why do the astronauts react in slow motion, and why is the subsequent chase so god awful?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Another contender: the Looney Tunes gangsters in Goldfinger.

I wish they had kept the scene from the book instead. Much more sinister and impressive bunch of people.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Has the car that tips from one side to other in the alley from DAF been mentioned. Surely that's one of the silliest moments? Or do we just class that as one of the biggest bloopers?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    DAF was camp throughout so it worked for me (the Blofeld drag that is). I didn't have a problem with it. Everything was tonally consistent in that film. It was played for laughs.
    Bad as the Bond going Japanese was I think Blofeld in drag from DAF is by far the sillest thing in the Connery era. The Moonbuggy, the fight with Kidd and Wint on the luxury liner, a lot of DAF was just silly. that film was a poor one to be Connery's Swan Song.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The amount of fun that Connery seems to be having in DAF is off the charts.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    A very silly scene from DAF I enjoy throughly: Bond and his newfound rodent pal ("Ol' Boy") chit-chatting and his final pun after being rescued from the pipeline.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    The amount of fun that Connery seems to be having in DAF is off the charts.

Big time. It's my go to Sunday afternoon movie. Everyone appears to be just (excuse my French) f****** about, but I love it for that. Great Barry soundtrack, impeccable production design from Adam, Connery in a pink tie, Wint and Kidd... It's a joy to watch for me.
    A very silly scene from DAF I enjoy throughly: Bond and his newfound rodent pal ("Ol' Boy") chit-chatting and his final pun after being rescued from the pipeline.

Brilliant. 'Sorry about that, old boy'.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    IMO You'd have to be a pretty miserable person if you can't get a kick out of each of the six Connery and seven Moore films. Sean and Sir Rog at their 'worst' as Bond are still far more enjoyable than most Hollywood actors would even dream to be. If they had done an adventure film together in their prime I would go absolutely bananas over it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IMO You'd have to be a pretty miserable person if you can't get a kick out of each of the six Connery and seven Moore films.

I guess I'm a little bit miserable because I don't get much of a kick from MR... :-??
    chrisisall wrote: »
    IMO You'd have to be a pretty miserable person if you can't get a kick out of each of the six Connery and seven Moore films.

I guess I'm a little bit miserable because I don't get much of a kick from MR... :-??

You are a big Brosnan fan so all is good. ;)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

You are a big Brosnan fan so all is good. ;)
    I'm a big Dalton/Brosnan/Connery/Craig/Moore fan. Even Lazenby to a degree.
    :D
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    yeah, I'm not sure why Blofeld wearing women's clothes is so horrible. What more effective disguise than the opposite sex? If there's an APB for you it's the best way to hide.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He didn't really need a disguise in the first place. Nobody but Bond knew what he looked like.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He was the only Caucasian living in the village. That was what he was attempting to hide, not his specific identity. It's obviously much clearer (and effective) in the novel.

And in the novel he's passing as a dim witted Japanese fisherman. Makes more sense too.