Is "Bond goes Japanese" the silliest thing in Connery's era?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

Just like Salvage 1 :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You REMEMBER that show????? OMG you have to be either my age, or a TV historian. B-)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Pick something from DAF. You can't go wrong.
    Kerim wrote: »
    The lift fight. Mountaineering about the Whyte House.
    Oh, I went wrong... :))
  • TigerTanakaTigerTanaka Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond
    Bond going Japanese didn't bother me that much, maybe because I love YOLT. I think 007 getting married Japanese style is very touching. The haircut though looks a bit Vulcan-like :)
  • I think an elephant using a slot machine is the dumbest thing in the Connery era but whatever. Also yolt is awesome.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I love you only live twice. It's the last connery bond for me. Diamonds is a bad idea and never say never again is a wasted opportunity
    I love you only live twice. It's the last connery bond for me. Diamonds is a bad idea and never say never again is a wasted opportunity
    I'm with you there.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    The poster for diamonds is hysterical because connery looks nothing like that in the movie.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Almost everything in DAF is so utterly bad that the movie is friggin' awesome.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    The Moon Buggy chase trumps everything else in the silly stakes of the Connery era. A line was definitely crossed with that one.

Most of DAF would be a contender though, it just has the air of the old gang getting back together for a jolly up in Vegas and they forgot they were meant to be making a movie. Such a shame Barry's awesome score was wasted on that drivel.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Connery "flushing" mud on that uni-brow henchmen hoping to be the next Charles Grey duplicate was pretty damn silly.
    Bond going Japanese was so goddamned silly and there was so much dreck in DAF but I have to defer, his going Japanese has to be the nadir of the Connery years.
    I mean that disguised would not fool anyone.
    I can accept the SPECTRE space vehicle, I can accept the volcano hidaway, I can accept Helga not killing Bond when she had him in her cabin...
    but a 6-2 man speaking Japanese with a Scottish brogue is 'out there" where no man has gone before... :))
  • Could be the weird hand-waving at the end of FRWL.

Absolutely not. Yeah, that's slightly silly, but this is the James Bond franchise we're talking abut.

OHMSS69 wrote: »
    his going Japanese has to be the nadir of the Connery years.
    I mean that disguised would not fool anyone.

From a distance with the visual surveillance systems of the times it would have fooled anyone. Do you know what binoculars are? Hi tech in '67. :))
    chrisisall wrote: »

Like someone would go to Amsterdam just to fight on an elevator. :P

chrisisall wrote: »

Like someone would go to Amsterdam just to fight on an elevator. :P
    Perhaps you should say 'lift'?

I heard you can get high on a lift in Amsterdam.

:\">

I'm going, I'm going.
  • For me it's Helga not killing Bond. One of the silliest things ever made by a villain in the whole series, and, of course, she deserved to be thrown into the piranha pond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Discipline must be maintained, I've always admired that about Blofeld. :))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have no problem with most of what is being mentioned. If I had to pick one thing it would be Bond being dropped from the copter in the giant beach ball, and then rolling it over to the oil rig to be intentionally captured.

This. How could I forget the bloody beach ball, I only watched DAF a few weeks ago. I'll tell you how: it's so bloody idiotic my brain clearly wouldn't allow it to register.

Fair play to EON for bringing it back for the skiing scene in TWINE though to signpost how bloody awful that was too.

May as well close this thread now, I think we're done here.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited February 2015 Posts: 5,080

That's not how it works.
    That's not how it works.
    But if one member is done, don't we close the thread?
    :P
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bond turning Japanese is certainly silly, but the issue I have is that he almost immediately drops the cover. At one point he loses the wig and his hair goes back to normal and then the eye prosthetics just go away as well.

It's the good kind of camp that I enjoy throughout the Moore era, but for Bond fanatics like us, it can be distracting after multiple viewings.
    At one point he loses the wig and his hair goes back to normal and then the eye prosthetics just go away as well.
    What? You thought all that stuff would last? It was temporary junk for long range cover that had an expiration date. That it began to disappear was absolutely realistic, especially after swimming.
    :D
    edited February 2015 Posts: 805

That's not how it works.

No of course not. It was just my way of saying I didn't think anyone could possibly beat @Birdleson's suggestion in the silly stake, in a 'stick a fork in it' kind of way. May the silliness continue!
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,564

@Kerim for the win.

@Kerim for the win.
    Both of you for the lose.
    Music? Lift fight? Mountaineering about the Whyte House? Nice cheeks?
  • Not to say that there's nothing enjoyable about DAF; quite the contrary. But if you're looking for silly in the Connery era then this is the place!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    yes the beach ball thing that Bond rolls up to the oil rig in is very idiotic. Has he never heard of this thing called the element of surprise? You'd think with Blofeld's experience in the previous two films he'd just shoot Bond on sight. There's absolutely no reason to keep him alive. In GF not killing Bond made some sense. Not here.

Also the car going up on two wheels in the narrow alley, then coming out of the alley on its opposite wheels[!]. It's not even subtle.

I think DAF is the definition of a half-assed movie. No one cared.