No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    RC7 wrote: »

True. Moore had been in the role for 1 year when he made TMWTGG, whereas Craig had been in the role for 9 years at the time of SP. People get tired of seeing things done the same way all the time. Craig's schtick had begun to get tired with SP, whereas Moore's schtick hadn't truly got going in TMWTGG. It doesn't really make sense to compare them.

You are the one comparing Craig in SP and Moore in TMWTGG, so you are the one not making any sense by your own admission. I compared Moore in TMWTGG with Craig in QOS. SF and SP would not have happened in the first place because Craig would have been sacked after his 2nd outing.

Yes, but people were still very much on board with Craig's schtick with QoS, they just didn't like the hyper-editing and muddled script. SP is the first time people have been turned off by a Craig film because they have begun to tire of things being done this way. People want something new, and not a different story, but a different type of story.

I've not seen anything to suggest people are particularly tired of Craig as Bond. Only fans on here. I don't think the man on the street has given it too much thought. A new Craig film with positive hype would deliver. The few people who are tired may just have to wait a little while longer.

I don't think the public ever tire of a particular Bond actor, but they do tire of their schtick, their particular bag of tricks. Sure, Craig could deliver a completely different performance with Bond 25, and the story could be a lot more stripped down and mission based etc. But I just don't see that Craig and Barbara have any interest in doing that. If they collaborate on Bond again, it'll be another lofty film with an emotional arc for Bond to come to terms with. That's exactly what people are tiring of. Even if they don't consciously register it, people crave innovation and a fresh approach.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690

True. Moore had been in the role for 1 year when he made TMWTGG, whereas Craig had been in the role for 9 years at the time of SP. People get tired of seeing things done the same way all the time. Craig's schtick had begun to get tired with SP, whereas Moore's schtick hadn't truly got going in TMWTGG. It doesn't really make sense to compare them.

You are the one comparing Craig in SP and Moore in TMWTGG, so you are the one not making any sense by your own admission. I compared Moore in TMWTGG with Craig in QOS. SF and SP would not have happened in the first place because Craig would have been sacked after his 2nd outing.

Yes, but people were still very much on board with Craig's schtick with QoS, they just didn't like the hyper-editing and muddled script. SP is the first time people have been turned off by a Craig film because they have begun to tire of things being done this way. People want something new, and not a different story, but a different type of story.

I've not seen anything to suggest people are particularly tired of Craig as Bond. Only fans on here. I don't think the man on the street has given it too much thought. A new Craig film with positive hype would deliver. The few people who are tired may just have to wait a little while longer.

I don't think the public ever tire of a particular Bond actor, but they do tire of their schtick, their particular bag of tricks. Sure, Craig could deliver a completely different performance with Bond 25, and the story could be a lot more stripped down and mission based etc. But I just don't see that Craig and Barbara have any interest in doing that. If they collaborate on Bond again, it'll be another lofty film with an emotional arc for Bond to come to terms with. That's exactly what people are tiring of. Even if they don't consciously register it, people crave innovation and a fresh approach.

So you basically want the franchise to have ended about 40 years ago. Good to know. Or, in your defense, you fail to realize you want EON to operate like any other major Hollywood studio would, which still would have ruined the Bond series a long time ago.

I agree. As far as the general audience is concerned, Craig is the present Bond, and he's a very popular Bond.

So you basically want the franchise to have ended about 40 years ago. Good to know. Or, in your defense, you fail to realize you want EON to operate like any other major Hollywood studio would, which still would have ruined the Bond series a long time ago.

Do you realize how irrational your argumentation is?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690

Do you realize how irrational your argumentation is?

Do you realize the irrational argumentation is from @Mendes4Lyfe, as I am explaining in simple terms how the way he wishes EON to handle the franchise is borderline insane? Or is that too hard for you?

I'll say it in simple english for you: Mendes4Lyfe wants EON to handle the franchise like a normal studio would. Any normal studio would have sacked Craig after QOS. The main reason the franchise has lasted so long is EON do not operate like the norm, and they stick to their lead star no matter what. You have to get your head out of the sand and 'realize' that if Sony had taken total control of the franchise with CR, the franchise would have been recasted & rebooted again after QOS. They pulled that shit not once, but twice with Spider-man. Which is what Mendes4Lyfe is saying EON should do. You, and everyone should pray to God that Mendes4Lyfe never gets his hands near the franchise, let alone getting listened to, as he would single-handedly kill the franchise so quickly, your head will spin.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I agree. As far as the general audience is concerned, Craig is the present Bond, and he's a very popular Bond.

Is he? All I can say is that I have yet to meet someone, who wasn't bored by SP big way. Mind you, they don't hate it there just feel completely bored about it. The only time when someone talks lively about it is when they are making fun of the neurotic step brother angle.
    Also, many of the youngsters I happen to know see the franchise ass something for the elderly these days. I'm sure you would agree, that this is not a healthy state of affairs.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Mods any chance of putting this clown of my misery? If this doesn't constitute spam I don't know what does.

Although fair play to you for going to the effort of trawling Google for every single instance of this story that has been copy and pasted to provide clickbait for crappy 'news' sites. Most commendable use of your time. I guess tomorrow you'll be basket weaving and the day after putting your hand alternatively into hot and cold water to see if they can detect any brain stem activity?

And just in case you're in any doubt - this was a personal attack.
    your gonna attack me for gathering news? Perhaps I'm not the one who has no life. ;)

Is he? All I can say is that I have yet to meet someone, who wasn't bored by SP big way. Mind you, they don't hate it there just feel completely bored about it. The only time when someone talks lively about it is when they are making fun of the neurotic step brother angle.
    Also, many of the youngsters I happen to know see the franchise ass something for the elderly these days. I'm sure you would agree, that this is not a healthy state of affairs.

I equally know many people who really enjoyed Spectre, including my nephews and their mates, all in their early 20's. And Craig's films have made a ton at the box office. Skyfall remains the number one top grossing film in the UK - and Spectre was not that far behind in the UK. World-wide Spectre grossed close to 900 million dollars on its theatrical run and then topped the charts on DVD/BluRay, Pay Per View etc. Sorry, but what's unhealthy about that?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,187
    I haven't read the plethora of articles - is Christopher Nolan referring to when he talked with the producers when they eventually went with Sam Mendes in between Skyfall and Spectre or more recently?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I equally know many people who really enjoyed Spectre, including my nephews and their mates, all in their early 20's. And Craig's films have made a ton at the box office. Skyfall remains the number one top grossing film in the UK - and Spectre was not that far behind in the UK. World-wide Spectre grossed close to 900 million dollars on its theatrical run and then topped the charts on DVD/BluRay, Pay Per View etc. Sorry, but what's unhealthy about that?

It's the diminishing returns aspect you have to be careful of. If they proceed and make a third film like SF and SP, you can expect a similar drop off. On this trajectory, the next film would make around 700 - 750 million. To bring back the entire current cast would mean a budget of at least 200 million. Based on this, they may as well soft reboot anyway, as a fifth Craig film won't guarantee much more, and will cost more than a stripped down soft reboot with cheaper cast and reined in run time.

It's the diminishing returns aspect you have to be careful of. If they proceed and make a third film like SF and SP, you can expect a similar drop off. On this trajectory, the next film would make around 700 - 750 million. To bring back the entire current cast would mean a budget of at least 200 million. Based on this, they may as well soft reboot anyway, as a fifth Craig film won't guarantee much more, and will cost more than a stripped down soft reboot with cheaper cast and reined in run time.
    and if they make a CR, QOS style film what will you do?

Although I have always said DC will do 5 movies and then call it a day still lives on for now. I think Spectre has been left open either way. The very end sequence yes looks like a DC send off. However? Blofeld still lives, therefore a DC 5th movie is still there for the taking.

All that being said? I will await something OFFICIAL from Eon before adding anything else.

'Based on this', as you say, they should have recasted + soft-rebooted the franchise between QOS and Bond 23. Honestly, when will you realize that what you are word-for-word arguing EON should do will ruin the franchise quicker than you can say 'Aidan Turner'?

It's the diminishing returns aspect you have to be careful of. If they proceed and make a third film like SF and SP, you can expect a similar drop off. On this trajectory, the next film would make around 700 - 750 million. To bring back the entire current cast would mean a budget of at least 200 million. Based on this, they may as well soft reboot anyway, as a fifth Craig film won't guarantee much more, and will cost more than a stripped down soft reboot with cheaper cast and reined in run time. [/quote]

Bond has survived for 55 years with ups and downs, but the producers have adapted the series every time. Spectre wasn't the critical success of SF, but it certainly enjoyed its fair share of positive press, and also big box office, but obviously down on the huge SF numbers. I'm sure Eon are taking all of that into account, but they have a very strong leading man in Craig, and they clearly want him to continue as Bond. The real gamble comes when they replace him - that really is unknown. Lazenby didn't fair well after Connery. Dalton (who I loved in the role), following on from Roger Moore, didn't go down well with the wider public and the box office dropped badly. So every time they re-cast Bond, they are taking a gamble. With Craig, who really was, for many of the press and public, seen as an outside (even a poor) choice, the gamble paid off BIG TIME. So Craig is the one thing they really are sure about.
    Spectre's critical response was interesting - the British media praised it to the high heavens, whereas the American media was less enthusiastic to outright scathing of the film.
    Dennison wrote: »
    Spectre's critical response was interesting - the British media praised it to the high heavens, whereas the American media was less enthusiastic to outright scathing of the film.

Yes, there was a big critical divide. The UK audiences seemed to like SP much more as well. I saw it twice at the Empire Lec Square in London (now Cineworld) and it was packed out and the audience cheered and clapped and really enjoyed it.

Birdleson wrote: »
    This thread is retarded.

The use of the word retarded is retarded.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Dennison wrote: »

I feel as though the British media critiqued SP based on its Bondiness, of which there was plenty. Whereas the US media critiqued it as a normal film, and pick apart many of its flaws, resulting in less than stellar reviews.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Meh, just give me a plot-driven Bond film please Babs. Don't care who's in it, I just want the story to be engaging. Haven't felt that way since LTK to be honest. Sure, I enjoyed GE and loved CR, but they excelled for other reasons. Where are the tight stories these days?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Because it's not a satisfying conclusion to his era. Blofeld's not dead and Spectre isn't gone. It feels like the buildup to the final conclusion.

Why does Blofeld have to be dead for it to be a conclusion
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    TripAces wrote: »
    The New York Daily News is echoing the report, but also calling it "confirmation." So someone at the Daily news has spoken with the Mirror and determined that the story has enough merit to run it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/daniel-craig-set-return-james-bond-film-article-1.3313303

So it is sort of official
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Before any of us get carried away by The Mirror's story today please read this:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/caveat-emptor-mirror-says-craig-will-return-as-007/
    I also fail to see how these reports are any different to the reports that were circulating around April about Craig returning.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever been a time when this many outlets picked up a story, only for it to be false? I know there are a lot of stupid stories that don't pick up traction. But I have a feeling this one COULD have merit. That, or these tabloids are basically betting their reputation on the fact that he may be back.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever been a time when this many outlets picked up a story, only for it to be false? I know there are a lot of stupid stories that don't pick up traction. But I have a feeling this one COULD have merit. That, or these tabloids are basically betting their reputation on the fact that he may be back.

I wouldn't outright dismiss it.

I've seen it happen with several other "rumors" over the last two years, since SP's release. Still doesn't mean a thing that other sites are running the same, unconfirmed story. Like someone said yesterday, though, if enough of these "scoops" are dropped, someone's bound to get lucky and be correct.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Ron Milione on Instagram (special effects guy for B25) posted something about Craig returning and quoted it as "just in from my producers."
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,031
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 308
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Ron Milione on Instagram (special effects guy for B25) posted something about Craig returning and quoted it as "just in from my producers."

Interesting. Do you have an exact quote or a screenshot? His Instagram appears to be set to private.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    How do I post a screen shot on here?