No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

there is a way to do a movie universe but still be all about 007.. Hear me out before you through tomatos at me

do a series of Young bond films based on Higson's novels (updated to match the current bond's time line of being born in 1968)

Also a series of Bond's Military time (again to match the chronological aspects of the current film era plus Katheryn Bigelow doing a Bond Military film in a black hawk down esque kind of film come on)

and finally a series of Bond films as 007

Add to that a Felix Leighter tv series (sorry he wouldn't work on film but television I could see with MacGyver Taken and Lethal Weapon showing action shows can work in tv) and a 007 universe could work with the occasional one off film (ok I admit it I am curious about Mallory's IRA dealings sorry just one film about that and I am good not a frachnise not 2 films just one)

like I said it could work and even still be mostly about 007 but one must be smart not every character can work on a stand alone film but not every character can work in television either (of course whoever replaces Craig if my idea was implemented would show up in the Leighter show for either season finale's or when the rating will drop a bit)

that is a bond movie/television verse I could get behind through in a video game franchise which does to the post fleming novels what EON did to the novels and there you go (but in order so in say 2020 we get Colonel Sun the Video Game in 2021 it's licence Renewed etc)

of course the issue is technically you would have 4 actors playing 007 (as I assume the games would use someone different) but since I really can't decide between Fassbender and Hardy and there are a few actors I think could work for Military Bond (Jack O'Connell for example who is far to young at 27 to be bond in the 007 franchise but could be Bond in the military bond franchise) but I think it could work and the films be different enough that over exposure of a character won't be an issue plus the audiences would be different as well

Young Bond for the tween crowd
    Miltary Bond for the teens/early 20 crowd
    Real bond for everyone else (including the 18/20 crowd)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Doesn't MGM have some kind of tv investment now, in Epix? So I can readily see 'original' content being created for that stream, and Bond universe characters could potentially work.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Brace Yourself For...

JAMES BOND 007: THE NETFLIX SERIES

;)
    As much as I was againt the whole Jinx spin-off, apparently P&W's script for it was actually very good and very different in style to DAD - in fact I believe they incorporated some of their ideas from it into CR.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Trump is beyond parody unfortunately

Actually, that goes for the Left. Pushing trans-sexualism as normal. Claiming that white means racist. Importing millions of people who would just as soon cut your throat as look at you. Yep, what reads like what would have been in The Onion 15 years ago is today's reality. Impossible to dilate on lunacy more preposterously than what the Left now believes and crystalizes as policy.

And before anybody begins whining about politics in this thread, look no further than DoctorKaufman and getafix. They are the source of the trouble. They provoke reaction.

• Dennison wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    Bond spin-offs - the latest rumour.

Explain ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bond spin-offs - the latest rumour.

Explain ?

movieweb.com/bondverse-james-bond-movie-universe-plans-rumored/

It's based on the same Jeff Sneider tweets about a shared universe.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Doesn't MGM have some kind of tv investment now, in Epix? So I can readily see 'original' content being created for that stream, and Bond universe characters could potentially work.

MGM owns Epix. It bought out its partners.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Risico007 wrote: »
    there is a way to do a movie universe but still be all about 007.. Hear me out before you through tomatos at me

do a series of Young bond films based on Higson's novels (updated to match the current bond's time line of being born in 1968)

Also a series of Bond's Military time (again to match the chronological aspects of the current film era plus Katheryn Bigelow doing a Bond Military film in a black hawk down esque kind of film come on)

Add to that a Felix Leighter tv series (sorry he wouldn't work on film but television I could see with MacGyver Taken and Lethal Weapon showing action shows can work in tv) and a 007 universe could work with the occasional one off film (ok I admit it I am curious about Mallory's IRA dealings sorry just one film about that and I am good not a frachnise not 2 films just one)

like I said it could work and even still be mostly about 007 but one must be smart not every character can work on a stand alone film but not every character can work in television either (of course whoever replaces Craig if my idea was implemented would show up in the Leighter show for either season finale's or when the rating will drop a bit)

that is a bond movie/television verse I could get behind through in a video game franchise which does to the post fleming novels what EON did to the novels and there you go (but in order so in say 2020 we get Colonel Sun the Video Game in 2021 it's licence Renewed etc)

of course the issue is technically you would have 4 actors playing 007 (as I assume the games would use someone different) but since I really can't decide between Fassbender and Hardy and there are a few actors I think could work for Military Bond (Jack O'Connell for example who is far to young at 27 to be bond in the 007 franchise but could be Bond in the military bond franchise) but I think it could work and the films be different enough that over exposure of a character won't be an issue plus the audiences would be different as well

Or, and hear me out here, they could not do any of that and just get on with making a decent Bond film.
    Risico007 wrote: »

I am completely baffled of how not anybody does seem to consider the bond universe the worst possible idea. To my mind it's a no, no and no question!

Actually, that goes for the Left. Pushing trans-sexualism as normal. Claiming that white means racist. Importing millions of people who would just as soon cut your throat as look at you. Yep, what reads like what would have been in The Onion 15 years ago is today's reality. Impossible to dilate on lunacy more preposterously than what the Left now believes and crystalizes as policy.

And before anybody begins whining about politics in this thread, look no further than DoctorKaufman and getafix. They are the source of the trouble. They provoke reaction.

You know, I'm neither a lefty nor a heart bleeding tree hugger but if you don't consider Trump to be a beyond parody figure something is quite wrong with your worldview.
    bondjames wrote: »

MGM owns Epix. It bought out its partners.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. So ultimately MGM is in a period of strategic repositioning, and Bond is the ace up their sleeve (the most valuable current property in their repertoire), so I can see them trying to milk it for all its worth. We know the Chinese were possible suitors some years ago, and then again last year. At the end of the day, the business end is likely going to drive the whole thing.

You know, I'm neither a lefty nor a heart bleeding tree hugger but if you don't consider Trump to be a beyond parody figure something is quite wrong with your worldview.
    I think we should dump the politics or this is going to get messy quite quickly. I'm happy to debate the merits of The Donald offline, but not here.
    [

I think we should dump the politics or this is going to get messy quite quickly. I'm happy to debate the merits of The Donald offline, but not here.

You are, of course, absolutely right.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    [

You are, of course, absolutely right.
    Yes please

EON don't seem to be able to handle knocking out a Bond movie even every three or four years, so how on earth they'd cope with an expanded universe is anyone's guess.

Frankly none of the other characters are inherently interesting enough to sustain a film anyway.

I'm sure it's all tabloid BS tbh.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,161
    EON don't seem to be able to handle knocking out a Bond movie even every three or four years, so how on earth they'd cope with an expanded universe is anyone's guess.

Frankly none of the other characters are inherently interesting enough to sustain a film anyway.

I agree. The next Bond film won't be out until 2019 at the earliest. EON aren't capable of doing more than that.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,031

Indeed, if Bond 25 were to come out late 2018 five Star Wars franchise films will have been released between Spectre and Bond 25.

I've been hoping that gap between Spectre and Bond 25 is merely down to getting a new distributor. But as time goes on it suggests more to me a lack of direction, a lack of knowing where to go next, which falls in line with DC's peddling of 'we're all just tired' in other words, we have no imaginative ideas of where to go next. Maybe Bond should end, there are only so many ways you can keep on telling the same story. I think part of Skyfall's success was it was willing to be different - it was this aspect that caught the attention of my friends who maybe wouldn't venture out to the cinema to see a Bond film.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Maybe Bond should end, there are only so many ways you can keep on telling the same story.
    On the contrary. I've heard that talk before. Eon's response was quite emphatic.

It's a new world, with new enemies and new threats. But you can still depend on one man.

We just need some new creative blood, that's all. A new cast wouldn't hurt either. Shake it up.
    Maybe Bond should end, there are only so many ways you can keep on telling the same story.
    On the contrary. I've heard that talk before. Eon's response was quite emphatic.

It's a new world, with new enemies and new threats. But you can still depend on one man.

We just need some new creative blood, that's all. A new cast wouldn't hurt either. Shake it up.

And they delivered a generic greatest hits package :)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,162

Indeed, if Bond 25 were to come out late 2018 five Star Wars franchise films will have been released between Spectre and Bond 25.

I've been hoping that gap between Spectre and Bond 25 is merely down to getting a new distributor. But as time goes on it suggests more to me a lack of direction, a lack of knowing where to go next, which falls in line with DC's peddling of 'we're all just tired' in other words, we have no imaginative ideas of where to go next. Maybe Bond should end, there are only so many ways you can keep on telling the same story. I think part of Skyfall's success was it was willing to be different - it was this aspect that caught the attention of my friends who maybe wouldn't venture out to the cinema to see a Bond film.

Pardon? Just because they are incapable of producing movies - let alone good ones - on a regular basis doesn't mean the franchise has to end! James bond is such a unique figure in the spy/action/adventure genre that to my mind there are still countless stories to tell about him. Some of you are touting really frightening ideas!
  • RC7RC7
    'Maybe Bond should end'.

The perennial call of the impatient.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »
    'Maybe Bond should end'.

The perennial call of the impatient.
    +1
  • Next steps in the debate:

--Someone comes back with, "Bond doesn't have to end. But perhaps Eon should sell out to somebody else."

--Prompts a reply along the line of, "No! A buyer would just mess it up!"

--Exchange occurs. Potential new owners are mentioned. Disney gets mentioned. Disney would then be roundly criticized as an inappropriate new owner.

Thanks for doing that for us.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

Such a naff trailer. Even the font they've chosen oozes cheese. I guess it's partly a sign of the times, but it's so desperate. Machine gun fire interspersed with explosions.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks to @AlexanderWaverly summing it up, we'll have to wait an extra day before the thread reaches page 800. ;)
  • RC7RC7

Such a naff trailer. Even the font they've chosen oozes cheese. I guess it's partly a sign of the times, but it's so desperate. Machine gun fire interspersed with explosions.

Wondered how long it would take Ol' misery bastard to reply.

Even though I didn't like the finished product very much, I still remember being very uplifted after seeing the trailer in the cinema. Since I had not the slightest idea that Bond was coming back it hit me like the proverbial freight train.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I was pumped at the time as well. Listened to the theme song endlessly before seeing the film at the cinema. Then the disappointment...

I'm just saying that objectively speaking it's a naff trailer by today's standards. It obviously did it's job though.

To be fair a lot of the more recent Bond trailers have been ropey.

Of the recent trailers I'd say SP's was best. Seemed to suggest there was a real story to tell (even if the final film perhaps disappointed on that front). The use of the OHMSS theme obviously helped.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Here's Why Idris Elba Is All But Out Of The Race To Become The Next Bond
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/idris-elba-not-james-bond-article-1.3282207

Idris Elba’s return to play London detective John Luther has all but taken him out of the running to be the next James Bond, according to an MGM insider, who says the actor's shooting schedule on the BBC show “Luther” would be very tough for filmmakers to work around.

“It is sad news for those fans who felt he was the prime man to be the first ever black Bond,” says our insider. But with BBC filming set for next spring, we're told that Elba's TV dates clash with the planned film schedule for the Bond film. “By taking this job Idris has essentially turned down 007.”

“It is no secret that MGM had been toying with the notion of getting Idris in,” we're told. “He has as good a status as Daniel (Craig) with a string of huge hits behind him as well as Golden Globes.”

Many fans had hoped that Elba, a handsome tough-guy actor best known to American audiences as Stringer Bell from HBO's “The Wire,” would star in the 25th Bond film, which producers hope to get on screen by fall 2018. “Now though they are back to sweating over when Daniel will even come to the table over his future, and who replaces him if he is out,” we’re told.
    BS