No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    In my post the autocorrect changed bog standard to big standard. Yes, Gatiss certainly is eligible to take a cracking and I'm convinced he'd come up with something interesting and clever without resorting to cheap tricks or pretense and unjustified piety.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    So. It has come to this.
    Don't fancy gatiss much. His doctor who episodes were very poor. Although he did do a fantastic drama about the Antarctic expedition of Scott.

We need someone who avoids cliche, deux et machina, and with a touch of class.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Could it be any worse than P&W?

I'm not saying we should just look for writers not as bad but I'd be willing to give Gattis a shot, Steven Knight springs to mind as well.

The problem is that we have our ideas of who would do a good job based on their previous work, you can evisage them doing it but that's exactly what I thought about Waltz when he was cast, I thought we were looking era topping villain.

Maybe someone totally unexpected or not on anyone's radar yet it worked when casting Bond, maybe EON needs to look at TV and place one of the many talented writers out there behind the lap top and give them a shot.

Just this time ask for regular updates and maybe a brief outline of what they are wanting, no don't hamper creativity with barriers and rules. Let the writer come up with something, then fine tune it just make sure it's at this stage with plenty of time to change things before it goes before the camera if needs be.

All the Craig era's entries have been polished so no doubt it will happen again but the key is to at least get a good basis this is clearly where SPECTRE had it's biggest problem, not even a basic premise that worked to build on.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Chris Hemsworth is the NEW name in the frame to bag the role of James Bond

Thor star Chris Hemsworth should be the next James Bond – according to 007’s stunt double.

Bobby Holland Hanton, a stunt co-ordinator and professional stuntman labelled the Aussie hunk “head and shoulders” above the competition and said: “Chris is in a league of his own.”

“The buzz and in my opinion is that it’s Chris Hemsworth for Bond. He would be perfect. I am not being biased in any way.

“I think he would be perfect for it, and he has got a fantastic English accent as everyone knows from his performance in Rush.

“He has obviously got the physical shape. Tom is also training and hard at it in his own gym, but Chris is in a league of his own when it comes to physique.”
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Thor star Chris Hemsworth should be the next James Bond – according to 007’s stunt double.

Bobby Holland Hanton, a stunt co-ordinator and professional stuntman labelled the Aussie hunk “head and shoulders” above the competition and said: “Chris is in a league of his own.”

“The buzz and in my opinion is that it’s Chris Hemsworth for Bond. He would be perfect. I am not being biased in any way.

“I think he would be perfect for it, and he has got a fantastic English accent as everyone knows from his performance in Rush.

“He has obviously got the physical shape. Tom is also training and hard at it in his own gym, but Chris is in a league of his own when it comes to physique.”

:-& :-t
    "My name's Hunt......James Hunt"
    Hemsworth is better that just about all the other names bandied about.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Here's what I would like to happen and only in general terms.
    Continue where SP left off. Bring back Waltz and Seydoux and lets continue this saga.
    I do not want Swann killed. She is not Tracy and I don't want Blofeld killed. Eon has got the rights back at long last. There is no need to drop him down a smokestack again.
    What sort of story they come with, I don't quite care, although a riff on YOLT and Castle of Death would be interesting.
    Play the story out so that Bond thinkshe killed Blofeld, similar to what they did with the Fleming inspired hot-mud death in the DAF pts.
    Then down the road - next film even-give poor Bond the bad new-that Ernst is alive and well.
    I would like to see Ernst, Spectre and cat of course, continue indefinitely as recurring villainy. Ernst can be recast as often as desired, and moved from foreground to background roles as needed.
    The concept is consistent with the first 4 re-boot films, with all having been revealed as Spectre operations.
    The Spectre continuity also worked just fine in the original run, with Spectre and/or Blofeld figuring in 6 of the first 7 films, and intended to continue, but for the McClory interference.

===What I think will happen with Bond25 is thus.
    Eon I think, always intended a sequel with Swan and Ernst returning and quite possibly as a riff on YOLT.
    And I do think they are moving in this direction. Running a final story by Craig and firming up a new director is what's probably holding up any announcement.
    Craig would probably have to approve the director too.
    We know that both Seydoux and Waltz were originally asked to consider being available for a follow-up film and reportedly both said OK.
    Consider the many echoes of OHMSS found in SP. I think Eon has been playing with the idea of doing OHMSS and YOLT inspired treatments in the new timeline, as a dramatic Fleming inspired way to reintroduce iconic Ernst and his equally iconic organization.
    The organiztion even earned title billing in the last film. Getting Ernst and Spectre back is a big deal for Eon. We even got a full retcon of the last three films to accomodate the return.

Note I say films inspired by OHMSS and YOLT, as opposed to retellings of the original stories.
    Of significance from the leaked scripts was Bond telling Swann at end of film, that "we have all the time in the world"
    The line was dropped. I suspect because it might have boxed Eon into a corner. It also effectively doomed Swann, limiting their options for next film, and also upon sobre reflection, might have been seen as tying her too closely with Tracy- a status probably not warranted.
    What sort of story they come up with I have no idea, and don't honestly care as long as its a good one.
    I think Ernst escapes. Both Swann and Bond are drawn back into the fray. Castle of Death is somehow worked into the proceedings. There will be a balloon escape. Bunt is introduced into the mix, after being dropped from earlier SP treatments.
    Bond battles Ernst at Castle of Death. Blofeld escapes but Bond thinks he's dead.
    Also, so another Bond Girl can be worked in, Bond dallies early in film. Swann returns later, drawn back by circumstances. She and Bond have been taking a break. Life can get in the way, when dating a 00 agent, even one that's briefly stepped out for a bit.

Swann, I hope will survive the film. Killing Bond girls in the Craig era is still real old.
    But she will disappear after this film. The new actor will have fresh adventures battling the ever present nemesis that is Spectre, and its unkillable chief, that Bond now has freshly re-booted history with.
    Future films might only obliquely reference the foster-brother connection. Maybe the odd little crack from Ernst which Bond will ignore, because he truly doesn't care as we learned in SP.
    The brother thing will not haunt the future.
    Those are the broad strokes of what I think is going down.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Of course from a stunt man's perspective he probably is the perfect choice.

Don't hurl yet doubt no more weight than the other "shoe in" candidates.
    No no no ....no more foreplay....or Australians...!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Of course from a stunt man's perspective he probably is the perfect choice.

Don't hurl yet doubt no more weight than the other "shoe in" candidates.

Pretty sure EON usually give the casting vote to a jobbing stuntman so this has to be taken seriously.
    If you are going to pick Hemsworth,then you might as well pick Tom Hardy...an excellent,versatile actor,end English...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's going to be a slow week then, if this is the latest news.

Nothing to worry about here. Hemsworth won't be getting anywhere near Bond. He has already amply demonstrated his lack of acting credentials in other films and I'm quite certain EON has noticed. From the Sam Worthington/Jai Courtney school of Australian actors.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Craig re-emerging into the spotlight for "Othello" leads me to believe that we will be getting some news in the coming weeks. Surely the press will be asking him some questions about Bond. Whether he answers is another thing.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's going to be a slow week then, if this is the latest news.

Nothing to worry about here. Hemsworth won't be getting anywhere near Bond. He has already amply demonstrated his lack of acting credentials in other films and I'm quite certain EON has noticed. From the Sam Worthington/Jai Courtney school of Australian actors.

Presumably, if an Aussie gets the tux, 'Bond's Not Blonde' will become 'Bond's Not Bogan'.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At the very least, Lazenby would be put back into the spotlight again. Instead of asking, "can he stack up to Connery?" many will inquire about if he can match Georgie boy for the Aussie Bond to end them all.
    Depressing ....
    timmer wrote: »
    Continue where SP left off. Bring back Waltz and Seydoux and lets continue this saga.
    I do not want Swann killed. She is not Tracy and I don't want Blofeld killed. Eon has got the rights back at long last. There is no need to drop him down a smokestack again.
    What sort of story they come with, I don't quite care, although a riff on YOLT and Castle of Death would be interesting.
    Play the story out so that Bond thinkshe killed Blofeld, similar to what they did with the Fleming inspired hot-mud death in the DAF pts.
    Then down the road - next film even-give poor Bond the bad new-that Ernst is alive and well.
    I would like to see Ernst, Spectre and cat of course, continue indefinitely as recurring villainy. Ernst can be recast as often as desired, and moved from foreground to background roles as needed.
    The concept is consistent with the first 4 re-boot films, with all having been revealed as Spectre operations.
    The Spectre continuity also worked just fine in the original run, with Spectre and/or Blofeld figuring in 6 of the first 7 films, and intended to continue, but for the McClory interference.

Eon I think, always intended a sequel with Swan and Ernst returning and quite possibly as a riff on YOLT.
    And I do think they are moving in this direction. Running a final story by Craig and firming up a new director is what's probably holding up any announcement.
    We know that both Seydoux and Waltz were originally asked to consider being available for a follow-up film and reportedly both said OK.
    Consider the many echoes of OHMSS found in SP. I think Eon has been playing with the idea of doing OHMSS and YOLT inspired treatments in the new timeline, as a dramatic Fleming inspired way to reintroduce iconic Ernst and his equally iconic organization.
    The organiztion even earned title billing in the last film. Getting Ernst and Spectre back is a big deal for Eon. We even got a full retcon of the last three films to accomodate the return.

Note I say films inspired by OHMSS and YOLT, as opposed to retellings of the original stories.
    Of significance from the leaked scripts was Bond telling Swann at end of film, that "we have all the time in the world"
    The line was dropped. I suspect because it might have boxed Eon into a corner. It also effectively doomed Swann, limiting their options for next film, and also upon sobre reflection, might have been seen as tying her too closely with Tracy- a status probably not warranted.
    What sort of story they come up with I have no idea, and don't honestly care as long as its a good one.
    I think Ernst escapes. Both Swann and Bond are drawn back into the fray. Castle of Death is somehow worked into the proceedings. There will be a balloon escape. Bunt is introduced into the mix, after being dropped from earlier SP treatments.
    Bond battles Ernst at Castle of Death. Blofeld escapes but Bond thinks he's dead.
    Also, so another Bond Girl can be worked in, Bond dallies early in film. Swann returns later, drawn back by circumstances. She and Bond have been taking a break. Life can get in the way, when dating a 00 agent, even one that's briefly stepped out for a bit.

Swann, I hope will survive the film. Killing Bond girls in the Craig era is still real old.
    But she will disappear after this film. The new actor will have fresh adventures battling the ever present nemesis that is Spectre, and its unkillable chief, that Bond now has freshly re-booted history with.
    Future films might only obliquely reference the foster-brother connection. Maybe the odd little crack from Ernst which Bond will ignore, because he truly doesn't care as we learned in SP.

Well said and agreed. No way they let Craig or Waltz go at this point. They have their biggest BO Bond ever, a two time Oscar winner and big draw with their new Blofeld (finally getting the rights back) and things are set up to crush it with the next film. That's not gonna change because of silly internet rumors.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Well said and agreed. No way they let Craig or Waltz go at this point. They have their biggest BO Bond ever, a two time Oscar winner and big draw with their new Blofeld (finally getting the rights back) and things are set up to crush it with the next film. That's not gonna change because of silly internet rumors.

Agree with you both. From a Box office POV, who would dare cut the Golden Goose loose?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Disappointed fans. ;))
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 16
    That's sort of a junk here, right?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,116
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Except most in the biggest two markets NA and China didn't like it.

Would imagine about 60% of business if went this route.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh well, they don't need pandered to anyway. Keep the British end up! ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I yearn for the days when we could just call the EON press office and ask them to comment on rumours and the current production status.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,598
    I, like many, have always wanted the YOLT thing done but I think they'd have to set it up just like Fleming did in the book where Bond goes off on a standard mission otherwise the entire movie will be yet another personal/revenge yarn which I'm getting sick of. Bond should run into Blofeld two thirds into the story. The thing is, everyone will all guess that this castle of death villain or whatever angle they take will be Blofeld if we hear about him escaping from prison at the beginning of the story. Still, we all knew that Waltz would be Blofeld in SP so I don't suppose it matters much. Maybe Bond could believe that Shatterhand or whatever name they give him is working for Spectre and then it ends up being Blofeld himself.

What has horribly tainted the whole Spectre/Blofeld saga for me is making this brother connection. What an absolutely terrible plot device. I just can't believe this got the green light. I just don't feel as excited about Blofeld anymore because of this. They f****d up and they f****d up bad. I almost wish that some dialogue would be introduced in the next film where Blofeld says that he was telling a lot of porkies to see how Bond would react in the hope of recruiting him into the organisation but he could see in Bond's body language that this would not be so. LOL.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I really want them to get away from third acts set in Britain. Surely they have that out of their system? But it's safe to assume the first act will have an amount of British-centric locations tied up in it - what with Blofeld locked up on British soil and Bond swanning around with Madeline in Britain.
    2 new rumours of effete boys rumoured to play Bond.

Jamie Bell is the new favourite
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/30/jamie-bell-to-swap-ballet-for-baddies-as-flurry-of-bets-placed-on-him-for-james-bond-role-6099636/

jamie-bell--a.jpg

Tom Hughes is Barbara Broccoli's new top choice
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/next-james-bond-victoria-star-8737538

Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+2+CzF97yBMt1Tl.jpg

All these rumours are so half-baked. They're getting boring now. This is longest between films that we haven't really heard much official since CR a decade ago.....even if it's bad news, I hope we hear something soon. Hopefully before the British press roll out another skinny indie boy who is the new 'favourite'.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    rolling eyes... into back of head... fall off chair.
    2 new rumours of effete boys rumoured to play Bond.

Jamie Bell is the new favourite
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/30/jamie-bell-to-swap-ballet-for-baddies-as-flurry-of-bets-placed-on-him-for-james-bond-role-6099636/

jamie-bell--a.jpg

Tom Hughes is Barbara Broccoli's new top choice
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/next-james-bond-victoria-star-8737538

Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+2+CzF97yBMt1Tl.jpg

All these rumours are so half-baked. They're getting boring now. This is longest between films that we haven't really heard much official since CR a decade ago.....even if it's bad news, I hope we hear something soon. Hopefully before the British press roll out another skinny indie boy who is the new 'favourite'.
    Couldn't agree more. I've been reading up on old MI6 articles from a decade ago. Much more interesting times. It also doesn't help that reliable Daily Mail columnist Baz Bamigboye has seemingly abandoned giving us the latest production scoop. I'm sure there's a reason for that, too.