No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

So this is interesting the cast of the rumors are true might be the best one yet I just hope the script is as good as the cast
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    You haven't seen A Bigger Splash?

Shocking.

Up market, middle brow tosh. And highly entertaining.
    You know, I have been meaning to check that out for the longest time. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'll get to it soon. Darn fine cast there with Swinton, Fiennes, Schoenaerts and Johnson (all Bond material as far as I'm concerned).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've only seen Johnson in Bad Times at the El Royale. I had a negative impression of her prior to that due to her association with Fifty Shades (which I've not seen), but after I saw El Royale I instantly became a fan. She's got something and reminds me of both her parents as well as her grandmother.

You should watch Suspiria. It's an artsy horror film, but she is amazing!
  • re: cast readings, etc.

There have definitely been examples during the Craig era when the cast got together ahead of the start of principal photography to read over a script. Bamigboye of the Daily Mail wrote a 2011 story about how Albert Finney had joined the cast of Skyfall. In the story, as I remember it, Mendes surprised the cast during a script reading and brought Finney in.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. If the craig continuity had been successful I might feel differently. However, it was not successful, and I don’t see any reason for bond to adhere to continuity any more than previously. Doing so severely limits the creative potential of bond 25, and my expectations will correspondingly drop to the gutter if waltz returns. Spectre is bottom 5, and it makes absoltely no sense to continue from it in the next film. It’s like making a direct sequel of DAD or AVTAK.

Bond fans must face the fact that nobody cares about each own personal perception. Plus, Bond fans should accept the fact that there is a difference between mere personal expectations and logic. Personally I feel exactly the opposite about you about regarding this topic here - "SP is top 5 and the Craig continuity had been successful" - and speaking about logic, bringing back some characters (like Madeleine) for the sequel doesn't mean they're making the same movie all over again. We still don't have any idea about her role. So what's the problem? There's a new director that will sure bring something truly different from Mendes.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I've only seen Johnson in Bad Times at the El Royale. I had a negative impression of her prior to that due to her association with Fifty Shades (which I've not seen), but after I saw El Royale I instantly became a fan. She's got something and reminds me of both her parents as well as her grandmother.

Imo Suspiria is by far Guadagnino's best work and yes, Johnson is amazing in that role. Her body language was also really impressive.

Thank you. I'll be sure to see that one too.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    matt_u wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. If the craig continuity had been successful I might feel differently. However, it was not successful, and I don’t see any reason for bond to adhere to continuity any more than previously. Doing so severely limits the creative potential of bond 25, and my expectations will correspondingly drop to the gutter if waltz returns. Spectre is bottom 5, and it makes absoltely no sense to continue from it in the next film. It’s like making a direct sequel of DAD or AVTAK.

Bond fans must face the fact that nobody cares about each own personal perception. Plus, Bond fans should accept the fact that there is a difference between mere personal expectations and logic. Personally I feel exactly the opposite about you about regarding this topic here - "SP is top 5 and the Craig continuity had been successful" - and speaking about logic, bringing back some characters (like Madeleine) for the sequel doesn't mean they're making the same movie all over again. We still don't have any idea about her role. So what's the problem? There's a new director that will sure bring something truly different from Mendes.

Quite. I'm no fan of SP, and it's way down on my list too, but I don't see any reason to be so negative about any of these rumours/confirmations.

Fukanaga couldn't be any more different to Sam Mendes.

0BlDdvH.gif
    Her acting reminds me a lot of Winona Ryder.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Although another issue with Johnson's casting is that she is filming a project with Casey Affleck and Jason Segel next month in Alabama. There is a possibility she could still film her parts later, but I think Bond would like complete focus on their project.
    re: cast readings, etc.

There have definitely been examples during the Craig era when the cast got together ahead of the start of principal photography to read over a script. Bamigboye of the Daily Mail wrote a 2011 story about how Albert Finney had joined the cast of Skyfall. In the story, as I remember it, Mendes surprised the cast during a script reading and brought Finney in.

Wasn't that the Bourne series?
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    boldfinger wrote: »

0BlDdvH.gif
    Her acting reminds me a lot of Winona Ryder.

She's good. A Fiona Volpe type?

Although have to say I've never seen anyone smoke like that.
    I’m sitting waiting to see Lady Gaga been announced as the B25 theme song performer.

@marketto007 I need this after A Star Is Born. She'd be perfect!

I've now talked myself into believing that both Emma Stone and Dakota on will be in the film. I will be particularly irritated if this is false...Johnson would make a terrific femme fatale. Also according to a fan sit, she teased doing a huge movie soon that was v secretive.

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

If she is to be in the film, I hope it's just her and not Stone.

Stone looks nothing like Bond girl material to me. Girl next door in a rom-com maybe.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,261
    [
    What??? SF: Uk, China, Turkey. SP: Mexico, UK, Italy, Austria, Tunesia.

MOROCCO. Not Tunisia. Tangiers is in Morocco.
    I’m sitting waiting to see Lady Gaga been announced as the B25 theme song performer.

I've now talked myself into believing that both Emma Stone and Dakota on will be in the film. I will be particularly irritated if this is false...Johnson would make a terrific femme fatale. Also according to a fan sit, she teased doing a huge movie soon that was v secretive.

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

Stone looks nothing like Bond girl material to me. Girl next door in a rom-com maybe.
    Agreed. She's a decent actress but I don't see her in a Bond film. To be frank, I thought she was miscast in The Favourite as well, because of her look. She just didn't fit into that aristocratic environment. Weisz blew her away imho.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

Agreed. She's a decent actress but I don't see her in a Bond film. To be frank, I thought she was miscast in The Favourite as well, because of her look. She just didn't fit into that aristocratic environment. Weisz blew her away imho.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that's intentional. Abigail starts off as completely not right for the "aristocratic environment" you mention, but slowly works her way up and even when she does become part of it, it doesn't feel right.

I think Stone is a wonderful actress, but I think it would be a better idea for the franchise and her career to be honest if she stays away from it. Johnson is a better fit because as harsh as it sounds she probably isn't as particular, and bigger Hollywood actresses need to pick their projects carefully because each film needs to project you even further. I must add as well that Zombieland 2 doesn't count because it's a project she probably wants to return to, as she starred in the original.

The Bond franchise doesn't propel actresses further in their career, unless you're Eva Green.

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

Hmm. I thought Stone was excellent. I thought all three of them were brilliant actually. Stone carried the English accent well too.

I agree she doesn't seem a natural Bond fit but who knows. She is a very good actress.

I'd still prefer more unknown actors generally speaking. Don't approve of this drift to all star casts.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2019 Posts: 8,034

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

To be fair, her character wasn't part of aristocracy in that film so that mismatch was somewhat intentional.

Edit:

Seems both @Denbigh and @Getafix got there first re: Stone in THE FAVOURITE.

Must go faster.
    I get it guys and I recognize that she was intended to be a bit of a mismatch. There are two elements to this for me - one is that I've seen her a lot in films and so her character was just 'Stone with an accent' to me (a problem when it comes to well known actors, irrespective of their performances). The second was that I just found her a bit 'too' out of place (I do recognize the context in the film).

That's to take nothing away from her acting. She did the best she could and was certainly good.

DyfOeBOWsAIvkB1.jpg
    yx0vq9g9dei11.jpg
    DyfIB-5XcAI2x0U.jpg

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that's intentional. Abigail starts off as completely not right for the "aristocratic environment" you mention, but slowly works her way up and even when she does become part of it, it doesn't feel right.

I think Stone is a wonderful actress, but I think it would be a better idea for the franchise and her career to be honest if she stays away from it. Johnson is a better fit because as harsh as it sounds she probably isn't as particular, and bigger Hollywood actresses need to pick their projects carefully because each film needs to project you even further. I must add as well that Zombieland 2 doesn't count because it's a project she probably wants to return to, as she starred in the original.

The Bond franchise doesn't propel actresses further in their career, unless you're Eva Green.

Yes it's hard to think of many actresses who've made any mileage out of Bond. Doesn't seem to have done Ross Pike much harm - indeed as she was coming at it with serious thespy credentials and an Oxford degree, it probably broadened her appeal.

I suppose Dench is another who made good use of Bond to broaden her own career elsewhere.

Who else? Can't think of anyone right now.

I'm not sure Eva Green has done that well since CR. She had a promising career already when cast so hard to tell whether Bond has helped or hindered. She's probably done well out the endorsements and modelling work that came her way more than the acting.
    There is still a stigma associated with 'Bond girl' (as opposed to M etc.). So even if an actress delivers (as Green certainly did), I can't imagine it helps in any other way than to get one's face out there to the Hollywood casters. Green was always going places because she's top drawer.

The actress who has made the most out of things lately is Olga Kurylenko (she's been in so many western films on account of her association with Bond). She's the only one whose character didn't sleep with him too. Make what you will of that.
    I might be wrong but isn't Kurylenko kind of where you'd expect her to have been anyway? She was in one of the Transporter films before Bond. May be it did help her sustain a certain amount of momentum though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Speaking of Kurylenko, this actually reminds of Oblivon with Tom Cruise. So, Fukunaga if you're listening, if you want a female MI6 agent, who will hold their own against Craig, cast ANDREA RISEBOROUGH. One of the best British actresses around! I'm sure she'd be the best Bond girl since Green.
    I might be wrong but isn't Kurylenko kind of where you'd expect her to have been anyway? She was in one of the Transporter films before Bond. May be it did help her sustain a certain amount of momentum though.
    I don't remember her in a Transporter film. Which one?

I think the type of films that Kurylenko appears in and the roles she plays are pretty much all that Bond will get one. If one is looking for more serious acting consideration (outside of general exposure), then Bond may actually hurt.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,289
    Kurylenko was great in Magic City, IMO. Speaking of, if they want to cast a redhead with an American background, they could try to cast Elena Satine (although she's born in Georgia).
    I don't remember her in a Transporter film. Which one?

I think the type of films that Kurylenko appears in and the roles she plays are pretty much all that Bond will get one. If one is looking for more serious acting consideration (outside of general exposure), then Bond may actually hurt.

I'm thinking of Hitman.
    Kurylenko was great in Magic City, IMO.
    That's on Netflix. I may have to check it out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »

Quite. I'm no fan of SP, and it's way down on my list too, but I don't see any reason to be so negative about any of these rumours/confirmations.

Fukanaga couldn't be any more different to Sam Mendes.

Well said.

I recall reading somewhere that Skyfall was the first and only time that EOn organised a full cast read through and that it was at the behest of Mendes.
    If they do indeed bring back Waltz’s Blofeld, I sure hope they find a way to use him well. Regardless of what actors are back, I feel like Bond 25’s style with a new director has to be at least be different from SP’s.
    TR007 wrote: »

I recall reading somewhere that Skyfall was the first and only time that EOn organised a full cast read through and that it was at the behest of Mendes.

They for sure did one for SP too as Dave Bautista has openly talked about how impressive and slightly intimidating it was