No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Actually there was more chemistry with the receptionist at the Ocean Club than with Madeleine. :(
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I predict here and now that Swann will NOT die in Bond 25and that the only connection between this film and Spectre will be Bond’s relationship with her.

You think she will be the main Bond girl in this film as well as in SP ?
    Yes, absolutely, but unlike many people here I am convinced that her being the main Bond girl again won’t make this film Spectre part 2.

Yes, I suspect as much. I quite agree with you, she won't die. Don't know about her being the main girl again though. But I'm not one of her detractors. Not my favourite Bond girl, but eh. I'm more of a brunettes kind of guy, you see? Chemistry wise, I see what people mean. But maybe their dynamic has changed with time. She's looking quite....french, these days. Something about her reminds me of a young Faye Dunaway. Now if she had a Faye Dunaway attitude (circa Thomas Crown), I'd be over the moon.
    lea-seydoux-montee-des-marches-film-homme-qui-tua-don-quichotte-lors-ceremonie-c_width1024.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There's nothing wrong with her looks - in fact, there's a lot right.

However, whenever I hear her in SP, I am reminded of Connery's words in FRWL. "She should have kept her mouth shut".

Tom used her appropriately in MI:GP where she had little to say.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Actually there was more chemistry with the receptionist at the Ocean Club than with Madeleine. :(
    She was quite flirty wasn't she?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Yeah the lady at the Ocean Club played her part really well. It set up the part of Bond being a ladies man well, the way she casually eyes him up.
    I think Bond had better chemistry with Severine than Madeleine, she was stunning as well, it's a shame she didn't stick longer.. but it did make me sit up in the cinema when she was dare I say "casually" killed. I don't think anyone saw that coming
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Yeah the lady at the Ocean Club played her part really well. It set up the part of Bond being a ladies man well, the way she casually eyes him up.
    I think Bond had better chemistry with Severine than Madeleine, she was stunning as well, it's a shame she didn't stick longer.. but it did make me sit up in the cinema when she was dare I say "casually" killed. I don't think anyone saw that coming

Severine and Fields were the most wasted Bond girls of all time. Perfect, beautiful actresses underused as hell. A true crime.
    Univex wrote: »

Severine and Fields were the most wasted Bond girls of all time. Perfect, beautiful actresses underused as hell. A true crime.

Spot on.

The opportunities they had with Fields,especially,as she was so intelligent and quirky,was wasted.

(Same with Mathis imo ).
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I'm not excited Swann is back but if they kill her off early on maybe it could work.

Depends how they want Craig's Bond to go out I guess.

I have no doubt now that B25 is going to show Bond happily married. He's found the happiness and solace he was looking for. Then that gets disrupted/taken away from him and he looks for revenge.

Does Swann get killed? Or may be there are children... I am cringing slightly at the thought.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Does Craig's Bond get a happy ending? I think that was SP and B25 is going to go dark again
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Spot on.

The opportunities they had with Fields,especially,as she was so intelligent and quirky,was wasted.

(Same with Mathis imo ).

But I don’t think Mathis was Bond’s type. :D

Spot on.

(Same with Mathis imo ).

But I don’t think Mathis was Bond’s type. :D

You know what ? As I was typing that earlier I thought some smart arse might comment hahaha..!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting to this news. It's not encouraging that seydeux is returning. She was not memorable (nothing was in that film). Don't see why they can't bring her back in a silvia trench type capacity or kill her off in the beginning though. It is encouraging that there's no mention of Waltz. Reminder that spectre was awful, and that bond25 being tied to spectre and being good are mutually exclusive. I have confidence in Cary Fukunaga, but any connection to spectre will work against bond25. I would like to forget that film. Brining back fiennes, harris, and especially wishaw is good, but keep it limited.
    I am in agreement with your points. With any luck, she is used in a Trench FRWL capacity before Bond goes off on his assignment. That would be the best thing imho.

However, any attempts to redeem the shambles (imho) that was SP will fail with a portion of the fanbase who have written that film off. I can't comment on the general public, but it might work in their case, because they probably don't feel as passionately either way about that film.
    Remember when I told you Blofeld won’t return but Swann would? Could it be possible that I was right AGAIN? No, Bond 25 won’t be Spectre Part 2, and no, Swann won’t die in the movie.
    I've learned not to doubt you.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is it fun for you guys to call them "scooby gang"? Like do you find actual enjoyment in doing so? Genuinely curious.
    Just speaking for myself, there is no fun in referring to them in that manner at all. Just accuracy. I don't call them Scooby Gang though. Rather, I refer to them as Team Scooby, and the sooner all of them are gotten rid of, the better as far as I'm concerned. They are all Mendes creations and none of them hold a candle to Young's or Campbell's recurring characters imho. Moreover, I feel they have been discredited with SP, and they weren't well enough established for that to happen so soon. Another reason why I'd rather not see any of them again.

Oh I don't know, I think that the casting has been excellent. I think the Scooby reference comes from the scenes where they are driving around London at the end of the film?

I don't care for such dismissive terms either because we are talking about some Internationally acclaimed actors here. Any problems with Spectre can't be laid at the feet of Ralph Fiennes, Ben Wishaw or Naomi Harris.
    NicNac wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting to this news. It's not encouraging that seydeux is returning. She was not memorable (nothing was in that film). Don't see why they can't bring her back in a silvia trench type capacity or kill her off in the beginning though. It is encouraging that there's no mention of Waltz. Reminder that spectre was awful, and that bond25 being tied to spectre and being good are mutually exclusive. I have confidence in Cary Fukunaga, but any connection to spectre will work against bond25. I would like to forget that film. Brining back fiennes, harris, and especially wishaw is good, but keep it limited.
    I am in agreement with your points. With any luck, she is used in a Trench FRWL capacity before Bond goes off on his assignment. That would be the best thing imho.

However, any attempts to redeem the shambles (imho) that was SP will fail with a portion of the fanbase who have written that film off. I can't comment on the general public, but it might work in their case, because they probably don't feel as passionately either way about that film.
    Remember when I told you Blofeld won’t return but Swann would? Could it be possible that I was right AGAIN? No, Bond 25 won’t be Spectre Part 2, and no, Swann won’t die in the movie.
    Is it fun for you guys to call them "scooby gang"? Like do you find actual enjoyment in doing so? Genuinely curious.
    Just speaking for myself, there is no fun in referring to them in that manner at all. Just accuracy. I don't call them Scooby Gang though. Rather, I refer to them as Team Scooby, and the sooner all of them are gotten rid of, the better as far as I'm concerned. They are all Mendes creations and none of them hold a candle to Young's or Campbell's recurring characters imho. Moreover, I feel they have been discredited with SP, and they weren't well enough established for that to happen so soon. Another reason why I'd rather not see any of them again.

Oh I don't know, I think that the casting has been excellent. I think the Scooby reference comes from the scenes where they are driving around London at the end of the film?

I don't care for such dismissive terms either because we are talking about some Internationally acclaimed actors here. Any problems with Spectre can't be laid at the feet of Ralph Fiennes, Ben Wishaw or Naomi Harris.

No they cant,can they Mendes,Newman et all ??!!

SP is not as bad as most people make out and SF is not as good as most make out.

CR and QOS are the best Craig films. I'm hoping Cary Fukunaga gets us back to that quality. I'd like B25 to be shorter than SF and SP and more dynamic/energetic. No dreary Newman soundtrack will help.

I'm confident he could even make Craig and Seydoux believable.
    Getafix wrote: »
    SP is not as bad as most people make out and SF is not as good as most make out.

CR and QOS are the best Craig films. I'm hoping Cary Fukunaga gets us back to that quality. I'd like B25 to be shorter than SF and SP and more dynamic/energetic. No dreary Newman soundtrack will help.

I'm confident he could even make Craig and Seydoux believable.

+1 for all of that. Spot on.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

I respectfully disagree on the casting choices. It worked in SF because the script was tight. With a problematic script as in SP, the weaknesses in the characterizations and actors were exposed. As an example, Lee and Dench could both do 'upset' without appearing nasty. Fiennes, internationally acclaimed though he may be, came across as snarly in SP. Quite offputting imho and not acceptable given he hasn't been firmly established in that role yet.

Harris is miscast as MP imho. They are trying to have it both ways with her - desk jockey as well as wishful action girl. It doesn't work with that character imho. Morevoer, as I've noted before, Harris does come across physically as more of an action girl and seems relatively uncomfortable in a demure behind the desk capacity, at least imho.

Regarding the term 'Scooby', maybe it's best to think of it as a term of endearment then, because it's not going anywhere.
    I would love it if they could post Boyle’s scrpit online since they are not making that movie. Unless maybe they will comeback to him with a new actor in the future?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

So damn true.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 10,588
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I would love it if they could post Boyle’s scrpit online since they are not making that movie. Unless maybe they will comeback to him with a new actor in the future?
    Had they intended that, the unmade B17 film with Dalton and the Jinx script would've been posted online a long time ago. ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I respectfully disagree on the casting choices. It worked in SF because the script was tight. With a problematic script as in SP, the weaknesses in the characterizations and actors were exposed. As an example, Lee and Dench could both do 'upset' without appearing nasty. Fiennes, internationally acclaimed though he may be, came across as snarly in SP. Quite offputting imho and not acceptable given he hasn't been firmly established in that role yet.

Harris is miscast as MP imho. They are trying to have it both ways with her - desk jockey as well as wishful action girl. It doesn't work with that character imho. Morevoer, as I've noted before, Harris does come across physically as more of an action girl and seems relatively uncomfortable in a demure behind the desk capacity, at least imho.

Regarding the term 'Scooby', maybe it's best to think of it as a term of endearment then, because it's not going anywhere.

Don't you think that this is the way he plays the character? Maybe this ex-military man who has assumed M's mantle is snarly by nature? And the way Bond acts in his office he has every right to be. He isn't as emotionally involved as Dench's M

Again with MP, she has resigned herself to a desk job but at heart she's the outdoor type? It isn't anything to do with the acting. Or at least it isn't from how I see it.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

Don't you think that this is the way he plays the character? Maybe this ex-military man who has assumed M's mantle is snarly by nature? And the way Bond acts in his office he has every right to be. He isn't as emotionally involved as Dench's M

Again with MP, she has resigned herself to a desk job but at heart she's the outdoor type? It isn't anything to do with the acting. Or at least it isn't from how I see it.
    You could be right. I suppose I just have to come to terms with the fact that these are new interpretations of beloved characters, and I'm not necessarily going to be happy with everything.

I like Whishaw, because he is a more contemporary reimagination of what a Quartermaster would be like today, and works for me. Plus, he seems to have good chemistry with Craig. I don't feel the same way about Harris.

Fiennes and she seem 'forced', at least for me.

Irrespective, I think 'Scooby' is here to stay. It's not so much a commentary on the actor's abilities as the characterizations and roles in my opinion. It's very MI and 24.
    Ben Whishaw will be a guest on 'The Graham Norton Show' on Friday, 21 December, 2018.

Graham has in the past asked Ralph and Naomie if they are returning, so perhaps he will ask Ben about B25.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 19,339
    The most nasty,snarling,sarcastic character in SP is Craig's Bond.
    Something I didn't like at all.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Ben Whishaw will be a guest on 'The Graham Norton Show' on Friday, 21 December, 2018.

Graham has in the past asked Ralph and Naomie if they are returning, so perhaps he will ask Ben about B25.

That will be a must-watch then! As you write, Norton have brought up Bond in the conversation before, so hopefully we'll learn more about Whishaw's involvement in Bond 25.
    The most nasty,snarling,sarcastic character in SP is Craig's Bond.
    Something I didn't like at all.

Agree. Never cared for how Craig portrayed Bond in SP.
    Ralph Fiennes, Sophie Okonedo spar in ‘Antony and Cleopatra’
    https://washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/ralph-fiennes-sophie-okonedo-spar-in-antony-and-cleopatra/2018/12/05/fdaf6004-f8a6-11e8-8642-c9718a256cbd_story.html

Next year he’ll return to the cloak-and-dagger world of James Bond for a third outing as spymaster M.

Fiennes is not about to let any 007 secrets slip. He says Bond filming — delayed by the departure of director Danny Boyle and his replacement by Cary Fukunaga — is supposed to start in spring. He insists he has yet to see a script.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I, for one, am glad to see Fiennes, Wishaw & Harris being retained. If only they were the only ones from SP returning...
  • 001 wrote: »

DC isn't a machine. He's just like you or me.
    How do you know if he's up for the task ? It's a damn hard task that's for sure.
    He's 50, got a child, as i said so he'll miss watching.

It's also got to be said that Hollywood A-listers aren't just eating Wheaties and hitting the gym. They have access to top-shelf "anti-aging doctors" who prescribe all sorts of wonderful stuff. That's how these over-the-hill men put on heaps of muscle and cut fat in no time, how they recover from on-set injury so fast, how their wrinkles go away and their scars disappear.

Combine that with good lighting, makeup, and CGI, and I think anyone can look pretty good in a hundred-million-dollar film.
    octofinger wrote: »
    001 wrote: »

DC isn't a machine. He's just like you or me.
    How do you know if he's up for the task ? It's a damn hard task that's for sure.
    He's 50, got a child, as i said so he'll miss watching.

It's also got to be said that Hollywood A-listers aren't just eating Wheaties and hitting the gym. They have access to top-shelf "anti-aging doctors" who prescribe all sorts of wonderful stuff. That's how these over-the-hill men put on heaps of muscle and cut fat in no time, how they recover from on-set injury so fast, how their wrinkles go away and their scars disappear.

Combine that with good lighting, makeup, and CGI, and I think anyone can look pretty good in a hundred-million-dollar film.

Shame it didn't work for Kara 'Bloody' Milovy.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 820
    One interesting thing I just noticed in the BMD writeup about Lea returning.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/12/07/bond-25-report-lea-seydoux-will-return

They reference the recent Norwegian report of a "B25" production applying for a rebate from the Norwegian Film Institute against production costs. And how that's transparently Bond 25.

But what I hadn't seen before was the dollar figure: up to $8.8 million against production costs. That is not an insignificant rebate. Leads one to believe a more-than-short portion of the film, or at least its filming, is intended to happen there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Debbie McWilliams was also scouting actors from within that region a couple months back.