No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Anyone. Anyone but EON; they can’t handle it anymore.
    Comment of the month! Take Chris Nolan for example, he can write AND produce AND direct a pretty solid movie every two years. Why do BB and MGW need 4 years to produce a mediocre film?

Chris, his Brother and Wife could direct, write and produce (respectively) a Bond trilogy on a par with the original Indiana Jones films. They could make true classics, and short of Martin Campbell getting another go, they definitely the team to take it on. It's the perfect match.

Nolan has expressed interest in doing a Bond movie, hasn't he?

Great interest. He's a lifelong fan. Many of his movies feature Bond homages.

In an interview setting, as well? The homages are there, for sure.

Yes, he has said he would love to do one "some day". He says that it would "need reinvention" for him to do it, which is a polite way of saying he wants to start from scratch and have a say in who is Bond etc.

That's understandable. He likes to have his creative control - but will EON let him?

Well, if reports are correct they were actively courting him to direct Bond 25 (that's a big if, there). Regardless, there are also rumours that EON could be selling up, in which case Nolan could come into possession of it through WB.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Bond needs to uncouple from Eon. Give it to Warner Bros.
    Give it to Disney. I bet they can whip Bond back to 60's shape. Have a two year release gap once again.
    No, can't agree there. If they want to sell, fine. But I hope its to some private production company comparable to Eon itself. I don't think complete and direct studio ownership would be a good idea. (Although to be honest I'm confused about exactly who owns what as it is right now, and what Eon would be selling.) Anyway, preferable even to that, I'd rather them simply keep it and figure some way of taking a backseat role if that's what they want.
    Strog wrote: »
    Even if SP had been better thought out on the production side, and better received by the fans here, or even if the gap years since QOS had been kept down, the desire for some sort of shakeup would still now be with us, to some extent. For the simple reason that we're in the midst of the longest-tenured era in series history. I think wanting some sort of change after 13 years is natural, no matter how much good or bad resulted of that decade-plus.

Yeah I loved Spectre. I thought it was great. I was really happy with Skyfall too so to be honest, quality wise, I think the Craig era has actually been very good over the last few years.

But he's been Bond for ages. By the time Bond 25 comes out, a baby born when CR was released will be halfway through high school. I know they haven't had many films out in that time but to be honest I think that only makes it worse, because we're waiting longer and longer for more of the same.
    Yeah, @thelivingroyale. I'm not sure we've had less tonal variation in the films for as long a period as the current one. Think of the range of films over any 13 year period in the series. I suppose 1981-1995 surpasses it, technically, though it was more like 8 years going purely by release date.

They tried to switch the tone up with SP. But ultimately I found it tonally in line with the rest of Craig's era (and in some ways the parts that worked least of all in SP were the parts where they did try and hit a new note).

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,588
    With respect, some of you really need a hobby. The incessant fear is getting ridiculous, not to mention completely unwarranted. It's beyond childish that many of you assume production is in shambles based on nothing but lack of news and conflicting articles from third-party "sources."
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Comment of the month! Take Chris Nolan for example, he can write AND produce AND direct a pretty solid movie every two years. Why do BB and MGW need 4 years to produce a mediocre film?

Chris, his Brother and Wife could direct, write and produce (respectively) a Bond trilogy on a par with the original Indiana Jones films. They could make true classics, and short of Martin Campbell getting another go, they definitely the team to take it on. It's the perfect match.

Yes, he has said he would love to do one "some day". He says that it would "need reinvention" for him to do it, which is a polite way of saying he wants to start from scratch and have a say in who is Bond etc.

That's understandable. He likes to have his creative control - but will EON let him?

Well, if reports are correct they were actively courting him to direct Bond 25 (that's a big if, there). Regardless, there are also rumours that EON could be selling up, in which case Nolan could come into possession of it through WB.

If they were, and he rejected them, wouldn't there be a chance he'd come aboard with Bond 26 - with a new actor? This has most likely been discussed a lot already.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087

If they were, and he rejected them, wouldn't there be a chance he'd come aboard with Bond 26 - with a new actor? This has most likely been discussed a lot already.

Yes, there's a good possibility of that, but I think he would do Bond 25 even, if he could start from scratch with a new actor. He doesn't have any movies planned at the moment.

We're over 2 years on from SP and still don't appear to have a script and director locked down, so pretty much anything could theoretically happen.
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    With respect, some of you really need a hobby. The incessant fear is getting ridiculous, not to mention completely unwarranted. It's beyond childish that many of you assume production is in shambles based on nothing but lack of news and conflicting articles from third-party "sources."

Perfectly put.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,293

Yes, there's a good possibility of that, but I think he would do Bond 25 even, if he could start from scratch with a new actor. He doesn't have any movies planned at the moment.
    They missed a chance there, I think. Looks like most big name directors are tied to other projects at the moment, too.
    We're over 2 years on from SP and still don't appear to have a script and director locked down, so pretty much anything could theoretically happen.

Here's hoping! If he signs on for the next film, we could probably expect him to find an interesting name to portray Bond, as well.
    Preferably, Bond needs to uncouple from MGM, and MGM sell it's remaining 50% stake to EON so Broccoli and co. can get on with making a Bond movie without these continual long delays while MGM get their house in order every financial year.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Preferably, Bond needs to uncouple from MGM, and MGM sell it's remaining 50% stake to EON so Broccoli and co. can get on with making a Bond movie without these continual long delays while MGM get their house in order every financial year.
    Perhaps this is not a bad idea either. The four year window after QOS was MGM-induced, correct? Have they been much of a factor since, though? The three year gap before SP was Eon's deciding to wait for Mendes, I believe. And it seems the four year window we're sitting in now is more down to Eon wishing to focus on other projects.
  • RC7RC7

A perfect scenario, but very difficult to achieve.

The only thing you can blame on MGM is the delay of Skyfall. Spectre and the 4 year gap before Bond 25 are all on EON.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I guess directors are too busy for bond these days they might have to start begging martin Campbell again

I'm sure directors are falling over themselves for the chance of directing a Bond. I reckon it's a case of Craig calling the shots and demanding an experienced big name director ala Mendes.
    Taika Waititi for a light as hearted Bond.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

Thanks. So true.

I have many hobbies, and I’m a pretty busy person most days with lots of things I don’t even like to do. Bond happens to be one of my biggest interests. I’m not allowed to complain about this wait? We come to this site to discuss Bond, and to this particular thread to discuss the status of the next Bond film in development. Fear is a lot more rational right now than confidence things are going well, considering SP came out in 2015 and there has been next to no news about the next film. It’s all guesswork either way, but slamming us for being afraid is silly. You can sit back and not worry, but let us have our own opinions; it’s anyone’s guess what’s even happening.
  • RC7RC7
    I have many hobbies, and I’m a pretty busy person most days with lots of things I don’t even like to do. Bond happens to be one of my biggest interests. I’m not allowed to complain about this wait? We come to this site to discuss Bond, and to this particular thread to discuss the status of the next Bond film in development. Fear is a lot more rational right now than confidence things are going well, considering SP came out in 2015 and there has been next to no news about the next film. It’s all guesswork either way, but slamming us for being afraid is silly. You can sit back and not worry, but let us have our own opinions; it’s anyone’s guess what’s even happening.

‘Fear’, though? Sort yourself out.
    RC7 wrote: »

Oh please. Obviously I don’t mean I’m literally afraid. There’s nothing wrong with some worry.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Oh please. Obviously I don’t mean I’m literally afraid. There’s nothing wrong with some worry.
    Much of this worry borders on hyperbole. Jumping to conclusions is never a good idea, especially if one has nothing concrete to base it on. Lack of news simply isn't enough.
  • RC7RC7

Much of this worry borders on hyperbole. Jumping to conclusions is never a good idea, especially if one has nothing concrete to base it on. Lack of news simply isn't enough.

Again. I concur. There’s a lot of interesting negative discussion on here from members which is interesting, insightful and should be considered. Sadly there’s also a swathe of silly, hyperbolic outbursts (on both sides).

• This is a summary of the Hollywood Reporter story linked one or two pages ago in this thread.
    As Bond fans, at least we have a confirmed release date, a lead actor, and the fact that we have scripts being written. Try being somebody like a Star Trek fan. Since the last film came out in Summer 2016 and underperformed, there's been next to nothing on new info besides the fact that QT "might" be interested in directing an idea he had. Or be a DC fan, where Justice League underperformed and outside of a few already in production films, there's nothing on the horizon that is a sure thing

My point is, there are much worse fandoms to be a part of than Bond right now. We are getting a new film. 100%. And then we will get a new film after that. Patience.

Again. I concur. There’s a lot of interesting negative discussion on here from members which is interesting, insightful and should be considered. Sadly there’s also a swathe of silly, hyperbolic outbursts (on both sides).
    Yep.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,979
    doubleoego wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit worried by how Babs and Mick are handling the Bond 25 scenario? They really seem to have given Craig so much power and it's leading to a bit of a clusterf*ck when it comes to settling on a story and finding a director.

At first I thought the 4 year wait between SP & B25 was a cautionary thing due to getting burned with rushing QOS into production but then again, they had another long wait between SF and SP and rushed that too. Looks like a case of history repeating itself here.

I've been concerned with their abilities as film producers for a while now and quite frankly I don't care how long they've been in the game they do NOT get a free pass or excused just because they're the heirs and key holders to the Bond property. They should know better in comparison to the highly questionable decisions they've been making for far too long. I honestly feel they're doing a terrible job as producers, especially given their experience and I feel that outside of casting Craig, they've done nothing to really push the boat out in effectively making changes to usher the franchise forward in a creatively rewarding way.
    I have been saying for some time that BB & MGW are simply incompetent as producers, and that a significant percentage of the members of this forum would be better at producing Bond movies than they are. I was mocked, ridiculed, laughed at. The fact that there is a very good chance the production of Bond 25 will turn out to be a disaster (if Boyle + Hodge don't work out, a delay or a disaster would be pretty much unavoidable) proves that I was right once again.

You were laughed at and mocked for very good reason. The idea they’re incompetent is laughable. You haven’t the slightest clue what you’re talking about.
    They are repeating the very same mistakes again and again. What happened during the pre-production of Spectre is enough to label them incompetent, and now they are very close to a disastrous production again.

Silly. The Sony leaks were not their fault. And if one bad script made someone an incompetent producer, well, there'd be no films coming out of Hollywood at all.
    Not only that but they seem incapable of learning from the past. With each successive tenure they start off small, but lose the reins midway through and end up careering into a ditch (sorry, I'm snowed in where I live and the sight of these kids playing on their sleds threw up a metaphor that I couldn't pass up). I don't really think anyone behind Bond has a passion for it anymore. Barbara only has an interest in this Bond, so the thought of moving on from it as the market dictates leaves her apathetic. I really hope they hand over to Nolan once Craig leaves, as that's probably what's best for the franchise and Cubby's legacy.

C'mon. There is no evidence of this. She is loyal to the current Bond, just as Cubby was.

There's a vast difference between fact (Craig has been announced for Bond 25) and opinion (Nolan would do better, Eon should sell, etc.).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,979
    Sorry, double post.
  • RC7RC7
    echo wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit worried by how Babs and Mick are handling the Bond 25 scenario? They really seem to have given Craig so much power and it's leading to a bit of a clusterf*ck when it comes to settling on a story and finding a director.

At first I thought the 4 year wait between SP & B25 was a cautionary thing due to getting burned with rushing QOS into production but then again, they had another long wait between SF and SP and rushed that too. Looks like a case of history repeating itself here.

I've been concerned with their abilities as film producers for a while now and quite frankly I don't care how long they've been in the game they do NOT get a free pass or excused just because they're the heirs and key holders to the Bond property. They should know better in comparison to the highly questionable decisions they've been making for far too long. I honestly feel they're doing a terrible job as producers, especially given their experience and I feel that outside of casting Craig, they've done nothing to really push the boat out in effectively making changes to usher the franchise forward in a creatively rewarding way.
    I have been saying for some time that BB & MGW are simply incompetent as producers, and that a significant percentage of the members of this forum would be better at producing Bond movies than they are. I was mocked, ridiculed, laughed at. The fact that there is a very good chance the production of Bond 25 will turn out to be a disaster (if Boyle + Hodge don't work out, a delay or a disaster would be pretty much unavoidable) proves that I was right once again.

You were laughed at and mocked for very good reason. The idea they’re incompetent is laughable. You haven’t the slightest clue what you’re talking about.
    They are repeating the very same mistakes again and again. What happened during the pre-production of Spectre is enough to label them incompetent, and now they are very close to a disastrous production again.

Silly. The Sony leaks were not their fault. And if one bad script made someone an incompetent producer, well, there'd be no films coming out of Hollywood at all.

Sanity and intelligence. Not a lot of it around these parts.

I fail to see how I used hyperbole. EON has been failing with Bond for a while now; it’s an overwhelmingly shared opinion. Between the botched job with SP and the lack of news with Bond 25 (it’s been over two years now; come on), I have reason to be negative. I’m capable of being optimistic or pessimistic depending on the topic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Everyone has a different way of expressing themselves. As long as we don't get personal with one another we should be fine. I find this discussion fruitful, even if I disagree with a lot of what is being said.

Some of the venting is understandable because expectations are high after the underwhelming last entry. Such venting can be cathartic.

I'd encourage everyone to stay optimistic though. At present we likely know far less than we think we do. Hopefully we get some positive news soon and then the mood will quickly change here.
    I have nothing wrong with a positive take either like @bondjames has. We are all allowed to express ourselves how we want. Let’s not go at each other over stupid things.
  • RC7RC7

I fail to see how I used hyperbole. EON has been failing with Bond for a while now; it’s an overwhelmingly shared opinion. Between the botched job with SP and the lack of news with Bond 25 (it’s been over two years now; come on), I have reason to be negative. I’m capable of being optimistic or pessimistic depending on the topic.

You said...

“EON needs to get it done then sell the franchise because they aren’t handling business well it appears.“

“Bond feels more and more like a dead franchise every day.”

“Anyone. Anyone but EON; they can’t handle it anymore.”

Within 30 mins. If you believe it, good for you. But it’s hyperbolic.