No Time To Die: Production Diary

19101214152563

Comments

  • edited November 2015 Posts: 484
    I'm increasingly beginning to think that SP is a partial set up for another film. The ending is starting to feel a little less complete than it did on first impression. Mendes brought back Moneypenny, Q and got us a great new M in SF, has added other elements back in SP and it's all starting to feel like a three act play.

  • Posts: 2,081
    @Shardlake, I haven't seen The Legacy. :( Will try and remember that one... so much to see, so much to read, aaaagh... I just checked and apparently my local library doesn't have that, but has a couple of his movies I haven't seen and I'll get to them ASAP. Movie fandom is tricky. In a nice way, but still. Previously I just watched stuff on tv and went to the movies occasionally. Now I have an ever increasing list of people (actors, directors, cinematographers) that make me go "can I just see everything they've done?" The list is so long it's not even funny. Well, it is, kinda. :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 5,131
    I am surprised. I thought Bond and Vespers romance is very real so much more so than in SPECTRE with Madeleine, The bit of him sitting on the boat on the phone to M after Vesper's death you see the rage building. It's a great piece of acting from Daniel. I personally think CR is near a flawless Bond that will find, Locations, women, style, pace.. helped of course with the source material being Flemings. No surprise the strongest Bond films are the ones adapted from Flemings novels the dialogue is so much better.

    As for Martin Campbell, he's 72 years old. I don't think he will risk his legacy by coming back to finish it all off, I don't think he would have done CR if it wasn't for the fact he's a fan and the chance to put a Fleming novel on screen was something he could not resist getting involved in.

    Agree with every word. However, I never realised that Campbell was that old! Mental!
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Posts: 742
    George Miller, Mad Max director is 70

    Ridley Scott is 77!

    Throw enough money at Martin Campbell, he'd come back. More attention needs to be on the script though. They can find another good director, it's the script that's hard to deliver on.
  • Posts: 276
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Spielberg would be a good choice IMO. Im almolst certain Nolan is going to do one eventully.

    I hope not. Much as I enjoy Spielberg films, I find them too sugary/sentimental and I rarely feel the urge to watch one more than once (except for Duel and Jaws), which is a big deal for Bond films, which need to be able to be watched over and over again

  • Posts: 484
    I don't get the Campbell idolisation - and his criticism of the Dalton films was deplorable - but then again I've always found GE overrated. A top 5 (CR) and a bottom 5 (GE) film from him.

    It seems en vogue to dislike Mendes but for me he has the better track record now - and works so well with Craig most importantly.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Cowley most will say Campbell delivered two incredible films the best since Terence young. He got the balance in GE and CR right in terms of Story, action, location, women, pace and location. TLD is a great Bond movie but it doesn't match up with what what Campbell did on those two films. Both new Bonds, working with new casts. Mendes has become a homage monster. Good at what he's does but he lacks forward thinking. There is too much homage through Skyfall and Spectre. If you look at GE and CR the dialogue is stronger, the way the films are pieced together are better. Skyfall shows Mendes knows how to direct drama. SPECTRE is a statement that he can deliver on action, but in doing so he sacrafised on the solid drama pieces it's from one extreme to another he has to find a balance. But with SPECTRE I think he got caught up in making his vision of a total Bond movie based on his favourite moments, but show me something in SPECTRE that we haven't seen before. It feels more a tribute movie than an original Bond outing.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    I didn't like Campbell and GE but I loved what he did with CR.

    And me personally I'm sure his take on anything from Glen was spot on.



  • Posts: 484
    Maybe I'm just biased because I did, and still do, resent Brosnan being Bond that GE was a case of grin and bear it but I still stand with Campbell's criticism of the style of the Dalton films despite going in that direction for CR makes him both hypocritical and unprofessional.

    GE is no less a homage to the past than SP. It's what some audiences wanted from Bond back then but I dispute it being a good or action packed film. Just a lot of explosions and Bond running around with a machine gun - which is the Brosnan era in a nutshell come to think of it.

    CR is in a whole other league to GE but the fact Campbell still made GE detracts from my appreciation of him.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Cowley wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just biased because I did, and still do, resent Brosnan being Bond that GE was a case of grin and bear it but I still stand with Campbell's criticism of the style of the Dalton films despite going in that direction for CR makes him both hypocritical and unprofessional.

    GE is no less a homage to the past than SP. It's what some audiences wanted from Bond back then but I dispute it being a good or action packed film. Just a lot of explosions and Bond running around with a machine gun - which is the Brosnan era in a nutshell come to think of it.

    CR is in a whole other league to GE but the fact Campbell still made GE detracts from my appreciation of him.

    That's fair comment. I am not a fan of the Brosnan era either. I think Goldeneye as a story was a great script. The supporting cast was excellent Sean Bean is magnificent and modern Bond highlight and he does outshine Brosnan in the scenes between them. The PTS is one the best IMO. But at the time when action movies were the rage Goldeneye was the film required to reignite interest. For all the flaws in the Brosnan era they did pull in the audiences, and gave us a good M in Dame Judi.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    Posts: 7,331
    Does anyone actually know what Campbell said about the Dalton films? This is news to me.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    GE might have had a bigger impact if 006 had not just materialized from thin air.

    006 had no history in the novels or previous films. He was like the extra expendable guy on Star Trek that no one ever heard of before lol.

    I mean I appreciate and like GE but it's not my favorite. And I am a fan of Brosnan even though I agree with the criticism aimed at him.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 484
    Does anyone actually know what Campbell said about the Dalton films? This is news to me.

    I can't quote him exactly without hunting out some old interviews and promos but it was basically a downer on Dalton and the approach of the films.

    Essentially just an unsporting way of trying to sell GE and also convince us that Brosnan was the best thing since Connery.

    Now we've had four successful Craig films, of which one was contributed by Campbell, I trust he realises he was talking bullshit about the Dalton era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Campbell doesn't overdo anything, which is why I like his take on Bond. He has given us two films that, for the most part, move along very well with great action and interesting characters. Moreover, he uses the tropes very well, without letting them descend into cliche (like some of the other clowns from the Brosnan era). Most of all though, it's his apparent ability to balance everything (humour, action, seriousness, story, pacing) that impresses the most. One walks out for the first time feeling like one has watched a real classic Bond adventure (at least I did - both times).

    Sure, Mendes does the characterization bit in SF too, but it seems a bit more auteur like and pretentious to me. Moreover, the tropes seem a bit forced and tacked on (MP/Bond interactions, DB5 revelation) and the pacing isn't as good in SF in comparison to the Campbell duo, There is a little more drama and weight to Mendes' effort, but consequently also a little less zip.

    I have read that SP is a return to the Bond formula, so I'm interested to see if Mendes can do pure Bond as well as Campbell can.
  • Posts: 484
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have read that SP is a return to the Bond formula, so I'm interested to see if Mendes can do pure Bond as well as Campbell could.

    I'm now beginning to think people are over-egging the comparison to the Moore films and misleading people.

    Craig and Mendes are clearly referencing them and we have Moore moments like Craig lining the snow plane up to the car and saluting Hinx before then shooting at him but it's still a Daniel Craig Bond film.

    I can't agree that GE is action packed even though it has often been said as much. Between the PTS and the finale we only really have the Tank chase outside of endless explosions. Certainly less action than the five preceding Glen films. Again I appreciate I'm very much alone with my opinion of GE though but I simply just can't warm to it and spend so much time cringing at most of the performances. Only Izabella Scorupco, Judi Dench and Michael Kitchen come away with any dignity. Xenia Onatopp and Boris put the film in comic book territory.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Cowley wrote: »
    I can't agree that GE is action packed even though it has often been said as much. Between the PTS and the finale we only really have the Tank chase outside of endless explosions. Certainly less action than the five preceding Glen films. Again I appreciate I'm very much alone with my opinion of GE though but I simply just can't warm to it and spend so much time cringing at most of the performances. Only Izabella Scorupco, Judi Dench and Michael Kitchen come away with any dignity. Xenia Onatopp and Boris put the film in comic book territory.
    I agree that GE is not 'action packed'. I think it has a good balance of action as a whole though, and that's what I was trying to say before. Campbell balances the action nicely with the other elements of a Bond film imho, and what action there is, is excellent and well paced. I think the GE finale is one of the best in the last 20 yrs (in terms of franchise finales). It's got all the necessary elements (massive villain's lair, explosions, great fisticuffs, & a tragic fall from a great height).

    I agree on Onatopp/Boris being OTT, but I think this was intentional. Orumov, Mishkin & even 006 were all the same as well. I really think GE was taking a page out of some of the classic Moore Bonds (OP for instance, which featured OTT performances from the likes of Berkoff). Even SF had that in Silva. It's a 'Bond' characteristic which shows itself from time to time and in some films. It made a welcome change from the dark realism of Sanchez/LTK for some, and I think EON intentionally wanted to take a different direction from that unsuccessful (box-office wise) entry, sine GE's key directive was to re-establish Bond among the masses after the unprecedented 6 yr gap.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cowley wrote: »
    I can't agree that GE is action packed even though it has often been said as much. Between the PTS and the finale we only really have the Tank chase outside of endless explosions. Certainly less action than the five preceding Glen films. Again I appreciate I'm very much alone with my opinion of GE though but I simply just can't warm to it and spend so much time cringing at most of the performances. Only Izabella Scorupco, Judi Dench and Michael Kitchen come away with any dignity. Xenia Onatopp and Boris put the film in comic book territory.
    I agree that GE is not 'action packed'. I think it has a good balance of action as a whole though, and that's what I was trying to say before. Campbell balances the action nicely with the other elements of a Bond film imho, and what action there is, is excellent and well paced. I think the GE finale is one of the best in the last 20 yrs (in terms of franchise finales). It's got all the necessary elements (massive villain's lair, explosions, great fisticuffs, & a tragic fall from a great height).

    I agree on Onatopp/Boris being OTT, but I think this was intentional. Orumov, Mishkin & even 006 were all the same as well. I really think GE was taking a page out of some of the classic Moore Bonds (OP for instance, which featured OTT performances from the likes of Berkoff). Even SF had that in Silva. It's a 'Bond' characteristic which shows itself from time to time and in some films. It made a welcome change from the dark realism of Sanchez/LTK for some, and I think EON intentionally wanted to take a different direction from that unsuccessful (box-office wise) entry, sine GE's key directive was to re-establish Bond among the masses after the unprecedented 6 yr gap.

    I believe the term used by the media is "Camp it up"
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Posts: 127
    Interesting view. I always found GE rather dark and while the characters of Onatopp and Boris might seemed a little OTT, it would be the exact ridiculousness that Fleming came up with. The killing thighs were already thought of in TLD, Boris is the ultimate nerd of the 90's.
    agree that GE is not 'action packed'. I think it has a good balance of action as a whole though, and that's what I was trying to say before. Campbell balances the action nicely with the other elements of a Bond film imho, and what action there is, is excellent and well paced. I think the GE finale is one of the best in the last 20 yrs (in terms of franchise finales). It's got all the necessary elements (massive villain's lair, explosions, great fisticuffs, & a tragic fall from a great height).

    Maybe it's that some people have a grudge with Brosnan, but GE has some marvellous stunts with the bungee jump, archives crash, tank and in the finale. CR does the same with the parcours chase, airport scene, Aston Martin crash and finale. I've read somewhere that people are complaining whether Nolan is good enough for action scenes. Well, I haven't been convinced by Mendes: Shanghai shooting, tube crash, the home-alone homage during the finale...
    With SPECTRE,
    The PTS is a fantastic better this time though, chase, train fight and finale are so-so imho.
    Like I said, your opinion on Campbell and GE in particular are interesting to me, since I don't see any problems with that. GE managed to celebrate 'all that is Bond', while delivering a thrilling adventure, CR is a very original take that delivers and exciting adventure as well. To me SF and SP were a bit too much celebrating stuff, SP a well-balanced movie, but overall both certainly not as engaging as Campbell's entries were.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Posts: 127
    Interesting view. I always found GE rather dark and while the characters of Onatopp and Boris might seemed a little OTT, it would be the exact ridiculousness that Fleming came up with. The killing thighs were already thought of in TLD, Boris is the ultimate nerd of the 90's.
    agree that GE is not 'action packed'. I think it has a good balance of action as a whole though, and that's what I was trying to say before. Campbell balances the action nicely with the other elements of a Bond film imho, and what action there is, is excellent and well paced. I think the GE finale is one of the best in the last 20 yrs (in terms of franchise finales). It's got all the necessary elements (massive villain's lair, explosions, great fisticuffs, & a tragic fall from a great height).

    Maybe it's that some people have a grudge with Brosnan, but GE has some marvellous stunts with the bungee jump, archives crash, tank and in the finale. CR does the same with the parcours chase, airport scene, Aston Martin crash and finale. I've read somewhere that people are complaining whether Nolan is good enough for action scenes. Well, I haven't been convinced by Mendes: Shanghai shooting, tube crash, the home-alone homage during the finale...
    With SPECTRE,
    The PTS is a fantastic better this time though, chase, train fight and finale are so-so imho.
    Like I said, your opinion on Campbell and GE in particular are interesting to me, since I don't see any problems with that. GE managed to celebrate 'all that is Bond', while delivering a thrilling adventure, CR is a very original take that delivers and exciting adventure as well. To me SF and SP were a bit too much celebrating stuff, SP a well-balanced movie, but overall both certainly not as engaging as Campbell's entries were.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    I think DC is up for another despite what he may have said previously, video from recent interview on RT.

    http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/james-bond-daniel-craig-is-not-gone-yet/?v=1
  • Posts: 3,335
    Really hope the can get the next one out within 2 years (2017)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Posts: 9,021
    Bond25 will not arrive before 2018.
    If BB is in denial and Craig only comes back for Mendes then 2019 is more realistic. P+W will start with a new script in September 18 and submit it in September 18.

    Yes, that's me being sarcastic :)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Bond25 will not arrive before 2018.
    If BB is in denial and Craig only comes back for Mendes then 2019 is more realistic. P+W will start with a new script in September 18 and submit it in September 18.

    Yes, that's me being sarcastic :)

    I think the fundamentals of a script are already done, Sony wanted two films back to back the end of SPECTRE feels more like a mid way point in grander story. I reckon announced in May/June next year that Craig and Mendes will return production meet in November and in to filming March/April 2017 see it in cinema's late 2017 Mendes does not have two plays that EON have to await him finishing this time around.
  • As many people have said, it would be pretty crazy for B25 to not carry on from SP and have Dan return. The whole flick kinda sets it up really. I'm gonna go ahead and say that BOND 25 will release in October/November 2018 and it will be Daniel's finale.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Posts: 9,021
    Bond25 will not arrive before 2018.
    If BB is in denial and Craig only comes back for Mendes then 2019 is more realistic. P+W will start with a new script in September 18 and submit it in September 18.

    Yes, that's me being sarcastic :)

    I think the fundamentals of a script are already done, Sony wanted two films back to back the end of SPECTRE feels more like a mid way point in grander story. I reckon announced in May/June next year that Craig and Mendes will return production meet in November and in to filming March/April 2017 see it in cinema's late 2017 Mendes does not have two plays that EON have to await him finishing this time around.

    I pray that you are right!
  • Posts: 1,909
    Unfortunately I don't see Bond 25 coming out in 2017. Earliest is 2018 but TBH with all the hoopla with looking for new studios and such I feel we won't be getting Bond 25 until 2019. I feel we're looking at another 4 year gap
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    There is a fair amount of reinvigorated competition for the spy market at the moment. It's hot. Bourne is coming back soon and there will be a new MI sooner rather than later.

    If I were a new studio, or EON or MGM (which is just getting back on its feet), I'd want to get a new film out ASAP. Strike when the iron is hot and mark your territory firmly before someone else does it.

    I remember before GE & before CR there was panic that Bond was irrelevant and that others were doing it better. I don't think they want to live through that again. Such comments are more likely than not given the tepid response SP is getting (review wise) in the US.

    So Craig/Mendes had better get on with it. Interesting that Mendes in particular (the more practical one I think) has been mentioning 6 months lately (which is not that long when you think about it) before he gives an answer. He is being pressured.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is a fair amount of reinvigorated competition for the spy market at the moment. It's hot. Bourne is coming back soon and there will be a new MI sooner rather than later.

    If I were a new studio, or EON or MGM (which is just getting back on its feet), I'd want to get a new film out ASAP. Strike when the iron is hot and mark your territory firmly before someone else does it.

    I remember before GE & before CR there was panic that Bond was irrelevant and that others were doing it better. I don't think they want to live through that again. Such comments are more likely than not given the tepid response SP is getting (review wise) in the US.

    So Craig/Mendes had better get on with it. Interesting that Mendes in particular (the more practical one I think) has been mentioning 6 months lately (which is not that long when you think about it) before he gives an answer. He is being pressured.

    Agree 100%
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    Posts: 7,331
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is a fair amount of reinvigorated competition for the spy market at the moment. It's hot. Bourne is coming back soon and there will be a new MI sooner rather than later.

    If I were a new studio, or EON or MGM (which is just getting back on its feet), I'd want to get a new film out ASAP. Strike when the iron is hot and mark your territory firmly before someone else does it.

    I remember before GE & before CR there was panic that Bond was irrelevant and that others were doing it better. I don't think they want to live through that again. Such comments are more likely than not given the tepid response SP is getting (review wise) in the US.

    So Craig/Mendes had better get on with it. Interesting that Mendes in particular (the more practical one I think) has been mentioning 6 months lately (which is not that long when you think about it) before he gives an answer. He is being pressured.

    I agree, there was a lull in spy movies for a while, that the Bond series really took advantage of with SF. Whether it can compete In a crowned enviroment is another matter. Many people are already walking away from 2015 with the thought 'kingsman/MI5 did it better'. How that will affect things when people are deciding where to spend their money in three years time, we will have to wait and see. This year was really just the beginning.

  • Posts: 1,909
    I fully agree bondjames. I just hope EON, Craig, and even Mendes can see that strike while the iron is hot
Sign In or Register to comment.