James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,454
    What's ironic is that the single blu-ray copy of SP gave me an HD copy for iTunes, and eventually that was automatically upgraded to 4K for free once it was available.

I believe Lionsgate and Universal are the only studios who's blu-ray insert codes can be redeemed at 4K on iTunes. I only bought JOHN WICK films on blu-ray, but the iTunes codes were eligible for 4K.

EDIT: I was wrong, they do seem to redeem in iTunes, then, but it seems they're only available in HDX through Vudu, which is weird. I've not gotten my copy yet so just going off of other reviews and assessments.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah that's the problem with linking different providers with Movies Anywhere. Buying 4K on iTunes doesn't automatically translate to Vudu, and vice versa. My John Wick digital copies may have redeemed at 4K on iTunes, but on Vudu and Amazon they're just 1080p HD.

This is partly why I bought an Apple TV 4K, and rely very little on other digital providers. In fact this is why Disney doesn't offer 4K on iTunes, because they don't like Apple's policy of selling 4K copies at the same price as HD.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 15,801
    I wonder if the 4K version corrected Lowry's mistake of freezing the tremor shot of Stacey's mansion?

Those screen-caps look amazing, though. Wish the Blu-ray wasn't so zoomed on the PTS. The Blu-ray is the only version I have.

I must say, though that each new transfer does a better and better job with the gunbarrel blood. Far too orange in the LD. The Blu-ray and 4K pretty much get the blood right.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I wonder if the 4K version corrected Lowry's mistake of freezing the tremor shot of Stacey's mansion? As the camera zooms in on the mansion after Bond tucks her in, there was originally a shaky camera movement to indicate an earth tremor. Lowry got rid of the shake.

The tremor effect is back!

Because Lowry only made their remaster off of an old 1080p video master, that meant MGM had to create a new 4K master by going back scanning the film elements. That's why it looks much more detailed and grainy than Lowry's blu-ray, and why none of their mistakes carried over.

Just to clarify, here's all the remastered films at iTunes and who gets credit for remastering:

Lowry: DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, MR.

MGM: TMWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, AVTAK, TLD, LTK, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD.

Note: except for TSWLM, none of the other MGM 4K remasters made it on blu-ray because they were not made until years after the Bond 50 set came out.
    I wonder if the 4K version corrected Lowry's mistake of freezing the tremor shot of Stacey's mansion? As the camera zooms in on the mansion after Bond tucks her in, there was originally a shaky camera movement to indicate an earth tremor. Lowry got rid of the shake.

Because Lowry only made their remaster off of an old 1080p video master, that meant MGM had to create a new 4K master by going back scanning the film elements. That's why it looks much more detailed and grainy than Lowry's blu-ray, and why none of their mistakes carried over.

Just to clarify, here's all the remastered films at iTunes and who gets credit for remastering:

Note: except for TSWLM, none of the other MGM 4K remasters made it on blu-ray because they were not made until years after the Bond 50 set came out.

Quite interesting. I really love the filmic grain myself. Looks much more accurate.

I imagine once NTTD is available for Blu-ray and 4K the other Bond's will be re-issued as well on Blu-ray/DVD perhaps utilizing some of the new MGM transfers?
    The new remasters would certainly make it to 4K discs.

As for blu-ray, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer versions don't make it to that format. I have a 4K disc of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, which came along with a blu-ray copy. While the 4K disc is based off a brand new transfer, the blu-ray is just the same old 2011 reissued disc. To my understanding, this is how most studios do it to save costs.

Quite interesting. I really love the filmic grain myself. Looks much more accurate.

I imagine once NTTD is available for Blu-ray and 4K the other Bond's will be re-issued as well on Blu-ray/DVD perhaps utilizing some of the new MGM transfers?

I doubt we get another blu-ray release of the individual films at this point, though I guess one last blu-ray set could be released. I figure immediately before NTTD's theatrical release or once it releases on 4K/blu-ray, we'll get the other films in 4K. The Craig set is likely a testing block to judge interest in the series in that format.
    Pretty disappointed in the 4K set so far. The menus are different - gone is the beautiful uniqueness of the CR and QoS blu-ray menus - and the picture has a much more dark color tint to it. It helps bring out some detail in the faces, I guess (even beyond the DNR, particularly in QoS), but it makes everything look so drab and overcast. I was watching the Madagascar chase in CR and it looked like it was about to rain; popped in the blu-ray and it's just so bright and vivid and colorful. Definitely going to stick with the blu-ray copies instead, these aren't transfers that seem terribly worth the price, in my opinion.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed in the 4K set so far. The menus are different - gone is the beautiful uniqueness of the CR and QoS blu-ray menus - and the picture has a much more dark color tint to it. It helps bring out some detail in the faces, I guess (even beyond the DNR, particularly in QoS), but it makes everything look so drab and overcast. I was watching the Madagascar chase in CR and it looked like it was about to rain; popped in the blu-ray and it's just so bright and vivid and colorful. Definitely going to stick with the blu-ray copies instead, these aren't transfers that seem terribly worth the price, in my opinion.

Disappointing to hear! I had thought maybe the screencaps I saw were with HDR on or something. Too bad about the darkened image.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Disappointing to hear! I had thought maybe the screencaps I saw were with HDR on or something. Too bad about the darkened image.

Perhaps the 4K Apple versions are much better - I don't have the best set out there, but it's one of the very, very rare sets I've acquired that I felt the blu-rays were better. It really is a shame; perhaps it was just the titles I checked out, but seeing as they're my two favorites of the era, there's no point in me holding on to the set if it's less impressive. A real shame.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,021
    I compared a screencap from CR the iTunes 4K and blu-ray. Aside from the increased resolution, they’re virtually the same brightness level. Also the iTunes releases are not in HDR, so there’s that.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bummer to hear but appreciate the honesty feedback. Wonder if those four will be same transfer when they inevitably come out with the 4k hdr complete box set.
    It’s very likely. I figured CR and QOS would be the least impressive of all the 24 films to make it to 4K because they were only mastered at 2K, which is not too far ahead of 1080p blu-ray.

The only way they could truly be 4K would be done with a very rigorous remastering process of going back to all the original negatives and literally recutting the entire film to match with the original master. Just imagine what a pain in the ass it would be trying to recreate the editing of QOS!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    To be honest the opinions on this 4K set is all over the place, whereas no one is saying they are revelations a good few have said they are an upgrade on the Blu-ray.

Though some like @Creasy47 have said they aren't impressed.

I've got it coming my way as we speak, although it is a Christmas present, so I won't be able to comment till after then.
  • They need to sort out the issues from the Blu-ray editions when/if they release them all again in 4K. A number of the 5.1 mixes need remixing removing any extra sounds that were put in (eg. whoosh on the close of the gunbarrel in YOLT, different machine gun sounds in OHMSS, added sounds in the Spectre meeting in TB, there are more). As well as getting all the title sequences right so that the image isn't distorted in them.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    To be honest the opinions on this 4K set is all over the place, whereas no one is saying they are revelations a good few have said they are an upgrade on the Blu-ray.

Though some like @Creasy47 have said they aren't impressed.

I've got it coming my way as we speak, although it is a Christmas present, so I won't be able to comment till after then.

It could simply be a variation on the discs or perhaps my set-up, but like I said I rarely have any semblance of issues with 4K titles and they almost always look like a better upgrade in some form or fashion. These, however, didn't impress me.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s

That’s disappointing to hear. I won’t actually be buying the 4K discs unless a complete boxset appears at some point, however if one did turn up then I’d go for it. Out of interest are you watching with HDR10 or Dolby Vision? Am I right in thinking the discs support both? Be interesting if your opinion extends to Skyfall and Spectre as well.
    I'm honestly not even sure how one would go about picking if they're watching a respective disc in HDR10 or DV but the discs support both, apparently. Going to try to watch SF today and see how that goes. Even QoS, while at times looking sharper in the faces (mostly due to DNR, sadly), the pic looks a bit darker than its blu-ray counterpart.
    They need to sort out the issues from the Blu-ray editions when/if they release them all again in 4K. A number of the 5.1 mixes need remixing removing any extra sounds that were put in (eg. whoosh on the close of the gunbarrel in YOLT, different machine gun sounds in OHMSS, added sounds in the Spectre meeting in TB, there are more). As well as getting all the title sequences right so that the image isn't distorted in them.

If the iTunes 4K’s are any indication, stuff like the title sequences being picture boxed in the blu-rays is no longer a thing on 4K.

However, the 5.1 mixes are pretty much the same, but that wouldn’t matter to me because I always opt for the original mono and stereo mixes in 2.0 audio. As long as the 4K discs hold the original audio mixes at 2.0, that will be enough for me.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I'm honestly not even sure how one would go about picking if they're watching a respective disc in HDR10 or DV but the discs support both, apparently. Going to try to watch SF today and see how that goes. Even QoS, while at times looking sharper in the faces (mostly due to DNR, sadly), the pic looks a bit darker than its blu-ray counterpart.

Prob different for each player/TV setup, but I would have thought if you haven’t specifically gone into the player settings to turn DV off, and your TV supports it, then your probably already watching in DV. Which is a shame, as I’d expect DV to give a better performance than HDR-10.

Will be interesting to see what different opinions come in as more people try out the discs.

Prob different for each player/TV setup, but I would have thought if you haven’t specifically gone into the player settings to turn DV off, and your TV supports it, then your probably already watching in DV. Which is a shame, as I’d expect DV to give a better performance than HDR-10.

Will be interesting to see what different opinions come in as more people try out the discs.

That's definitely it, then.

Watching SF and this one definitely looks incredible, but the blu-ray already looked pretty fantastic, too. The upgrades here are at least noticeable, whereas CR looked much worse for me and QoS looked only slightly better - others have said that CR and SF are the best looking of the bunch and QoS and SP are the worst, though, so take that how you will. I suppose it'll pan out differently for everyone, but given that the main two titles I love don't look any better (worse, in fact), this isn't a set for me.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Forgive me, but I wonder how significant those comparisons of screenshots can be...when they are not available in their native definition. I can see why a 4K-remastered frame actually projected on a 4K screen might, in theory at least, look sharper than a mere full-HD specimen, but if both are reduced to no more than 1920x1080 for display purposes, there should logically be no difference. And in fact, I don't really see any.

At any rate, I'm rather sure I'm not going to upgrade to 4K in my life anymore. Even after almost ten years, I'm still so thrilled and completely blasted away by the sharpness of well-transferred Full-HD movies on my 4.2 m-diagonal screen that I think upgrading would be a waste of money.

PS: I don't stream, I don't Netflix, I don't iTune. I don't buy anything unless it's on a disk so far. But then, I'm a post-war product who still keeps his vinyl albums in the basement as well.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Forgive me, but I wonder how significant those comparisons of screenshots can be...when they are not available in their native definition. I can see why a 4K-remastered frame actually projected on a 4K screen might, in theory at least, look sharper than a mere full-HD specimen, but if both are reduced to no more than 1920x1080 for display purposes, there should logically be no difference. And in fact, I don't really see any.

At any rate, I'm rather sure I'm not going to upgrade to 4K in my life anymore. Even after almost ten years, I'm still so thrilled and completely blasted away by the sharpness of well-transferred Full-HD movies on my 4.2 m-diagonal screen that I think upgrading would be a waste of money.

PS: I don't stream, I don't Netflix, I don't iTune. I don't buy anything unless it's on a disk so far. But then, I'm a post-war product who still keeps his vinyl albums in the basement as well.

I probably won't be upgrading either.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,021
    I’m not getting the Craig set (gonna wait for the 25 film set) but to my understanding the codes are not redeeming at 4K because Vudu doesn’t even have the Bond films at 4K for either purchase or redemption. If anyone has the redemption codes and it only can be redeemed on Vudu, I would strongly suggest you hold off on redeeming them at least until Vudu starts selling the films online on 4K.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Are the special features the same on 4k then Bluray?
    I’m not getting the Craig set (gonna wait for the 25 film set) but to my understanding the codes are not redeeming at 4K because Vudu doesn’t even have the Bond films at 4K for either purchase or redemption. If anyone has the redemption codes and it only can be redeemed on Vudu, I would strongly suggest you hold off on redeeming them at least until Vudu starts selling the films online on 4K.

Yes, this is the case. Most have been holding onto them and those that are selling the codes have told buyers to hold onto them for the time being until they inevitably (hopefully, anyway) turn into UHD codes. For the time being, though, it's odd to see a set release with two sets of HDX digital codes, technically.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Are the special features the same on 4k then Bluray?

Wondering that myself. That would play a big part in my decision to upgrade.
    As far as special features go, I feel they really blew their wad with the 2006 UE sets. Those were just PACKED, but it would be cool if they could unearth more gems for a new set.

They had a chance with Craig’s set to bring some features that were set for the cancelled 2010 Collectors Edition of QOS, including the recorded commentary by Mark Forster. Even the alternate ending with Bond killing Mr. White.

But maybe they will never see the light.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The special features aren't my enticement to buy the 4K editions it is the increased picture quality and while some have said it isn't worth quite a few have said it is.

Strange that @Creasy47 says that Skyfall is less of an upgrade when it is this one that more people seem to think is real stand out one of the bunch.

CR seems to have been a case of some are thinking it is a noticeable improvement and QOS not so.

The special features on the UE's were extensive and detailed enough. I can't see them really coming up with anything more, Everything or Nothing was our feature version of a documentary. I just wish that was available in HD apart from the deluxe Bond collection.

The price of the U.S set really is a no brainer for me, works out at just over £10 a 4K disc and you get the Blu-ray's as well.

The UK price of £60 is daylight robbery, although this should come down I'm not sure I see it coming down as much as £45 which the U.S version works out at with postage and customs.
    Hard to believe the extras from the 2006 UE DVDs are now 13 years old. Those left over from the SE DVDs are now 20 years old.