The Ethics behind the SonyLeaks (and SPECTRE-Leaks)

124»

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The idea that Sony has stood up, taken a stand, and defended freedom makes me laugh.
    The history of defending freedom won't include this silliness as an example of bravery.
    If anything, it will be an object lesson of green lighting a project not well thought through. Whether NK is connected with the hacking or not, who can blame them for being offended by the film, which doesn't condone or justify theirs or another's response.

That no one is entirely sure who the real perpetrators are raises the level of absurdity.
    Thank you! This incident has zilch to do with freedom of speech.
    Sony is a big business that dropped the ball on its cyber security.
    I don't care that they cancelled the movie. That's just business.
    Sony needs to consult with law enforcement to get this thing sorted out ie prosecution of the perps.
    If it was indeed NK, then they need to scream to government to provide better national security. That's what we pay taxes for.

What would have been violation of democratic freedoms would be if government had forced Sony to show the film, which they didn't do, so our democracy survives.

George Clooney is a Hollywood wind bag! But I do support his democratic right to be a gasbag.

Meanwhile the movie is opening across Canada. I am still not going to pay to see it.
    I got other movies to watch. That's me exercising my democratic freedom.

But good on the boys, for giving the big middle finger salute to Kim Yong Dumbass.

I may someday rent the film
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Its on for lots of Razzies and most likely well deserved, too. So - in the end its a shit movie, that now makes a lot more money, then it would have originally.
  • And well, now we know all the threats that the GOP releases would be "bigger and bigger" with a climax on Xmas have not turned into something actually big... And the movie has been released. Some hackers have shutdown Playstation (and other) network for Xmas though. But "freedom of play" is less important than "freedom of speech I agree with" it seems :)

In the meantime, Exodus is banned from various countries. But they are not North Korea, so people cannot have fantasies about them !