SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 4,600
    I think they have to very very careful about having obvious references to previous movies and having Bond directly quote one of the best song titles within the Bond back catalogue is very obvious and a little gimicky IMHO and smacks of desperation for the script writers. It is their job to come up with new memorable stuff to add to the Bond legend rather than re-use previous material. More subtle references (such as jumping on reptiles in SF) I think is more more acceptable and can be fun for Bond fans ans the vast majority of SF viewers would not have got that reference.
    You have to draw the line somewhere, at some point a new actor will replace DC "This never happened to the other fella" Please no
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,169
    Yeah, guess they won't be building a mock-up of this in the Moroccan desert;
    24012268_6446d9e6fc_b.jpg
  • aaron819 wrote: »
    @belfastboy Only the third act is changed a lot, and some little things are changed along the way :-)

Is the third act any better in the December script? I'm so hyped for this.movie. Has the ability to become one of the best yet.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    @belfastboy I think the December script third act is way better than the October draft, that is IMO.
  • Is the December draft of the script available
    Some people have it, but I am not permitted to give it to you.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Not on these boards it isn't @belfastboy. Please don't ask.
    @NicNac These people are starting to be annoying, that just sign up to get the script...
  • These are two things I don't want to happen that are in the drafts that I've read:

1. M's involvement. It feels too much of a cop out to have a character whose story was meant to have ended in the last film, return in a "cameo". Also, what's the point in getting us all hyped up for the Fiennes/Craig briefing scenes with the ending of Skyfall if you're just going to get the dead character to do it.

2. Madeleine's role in the film. I love the fact that Lea Seydoux is going to be the main Bond girl but the fact that when I read the script, her character came across as just a damsel in distress. Also, the fact that she is White's daughter irritates me as well. I wish her character had her own importance.

3. The Mickey Mouse line!

I know people will disagree with me but it's just my opinion.
    On the "foster brother" angle, if this is indeed the way that they are going - shouldn't they have gone with someone younger? Waltz is 12 years older than Craig, if Craig's Bond had indeed lived with the Oberhauser family after the death of Monique and Andrew, which was when he was 11, then Franz would be in his 20s - a bit old for holding a grudge against an orphan who his parent's took in...
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,164
    JCRendle wrote: »
    On the "foster brother" angle, if this is indeed the way that they are going - shouldn't they have gone with someone younger? Waltz is 12 years older than Craig, if Craig's Bond had indeed lived with the Oberhauser family after the death of Monique and Andrew, which was when he was 11, then Franz would be in his 20s - a bit old for holding a grudge against an orphan who his parent's took in...

It's explicitly mentioned in the script that Oberhauser is the elder brother. By how much older though, not sure... and I don't think it's a grudge, the whole "brother" speech that he gives (which is very nicely countered by Bond in the December version with the ESB reveal) is more of a way to get under Bond's skin. He never mentions a grudge, only that Hannes would spend more time with Bond as opposed to Franz, and that he tried to use that as an advantage in the context (the speech is about how they used to play poker together, which actually takes place during an Oberhauser v Bond game)

Also for those who aren't happy with the lack of specific Blofeld mention, I'm just wondering how you'd fit it in with the context of the scene, with what Bond is doing here by revealing that Oberhauser is an orphan. Blofeld shouldn't be a real name so to say but what he is known as in the organisation? The only other time he mentions Oberhauser by name before they meet is to Q (I assume that's because Bond knew that the leader is him, the reveal durign the dinner and game is for Madeleine and the audience), Bond knows that the name Blofeld wouldn't appear on any records so that's why he probably gave the Oberhauser name to Q.
    Is the name ESB actually used? All I've heard is the name Oberhauser and Serban in relation to the recent script.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Is the name ESB actually used? All I've heard is the name Oberhauser and Serban in relation to the recent script.
    In the October script, C addresses him as "Ernst" when he arrives in London. That particular scene has been completely removed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It makes me wonder if Blofeld is even involved with this particular universe? A SPECTRE organization, not created by Blofeld. That would piss a lot of fans off. :))
    Murdock wrote: »
    It makes me wonder if Blofeld is even involved with this particular universe? A SPECTRE organization, not created by Blofeld. That would piss a lot of fans off. :))

Just because the name isn't used in this film, doesn't mean it won't be in the next. Blofeld used a number of aliases - For all we know, Blofeld could have been the alias...
    I really think they will find a way to include the name Blofeld during that scene. And @JCRendle After that whole "brother" speech, Bond ends up retorting and revealing that Oberhauser is an orphan too and that his real name is Ernest Serban.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    I really think they will find a way to include the name Blofeld during that scene. And @JCRendle After that whole "brother" speech, Bond ends up retorting and revealing that Oberhauser is an orphan too and that his real name is Ernest Serban.

In what scene did Bond mentioned that he was called Ernest Serban?
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,552
    antovolk wrote: »
    The audience pricks up their ears when they hear the name Ernest, even more when they hear the s... they're on the edge of their seats - then they're left reeling when they're given a different name...

Just because they don't use Ernst out loud in the script doesn't mean they don't intend to use it when filming. Serbian could be code to the production for Blofeld.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,164
    antovolk wrote: »

In what scene did Bond mentioned that he was called Ernest Serban?

When Bond and Oberhauser play Hold'em in his lair after the dinner.

@JCRendle, to insert Blofeld into that line you need to make that reveal work. Blofeld does not work on the "real name" level that they have arm with Serban, if they do it without adapting the reveal and adding the necessary weight to it just sounds like a fan service name drop. Maybe bring back the idea from the earlier version that Franz Oberhauser may have died but do it literally, Bond saying that the real Oberhauser died and the underworld fears one name, his real name that no one knew about until the rise of Spectre....Blofeld.
    That foster brother thing has to go. It's stupid and sounds a lot to me like the story of Moses and Ramses (one is the favorite of the father, the other is envious and feeling inferior).
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 591
    Zekidk wrote: »
    That foster brother thing has to go. It's stupid and sounds a lot to me like the story of Moses and Ramses (one is the favorite of the father, the other is envious and feeling inferior).

I agree. It's seems foolish to me to do it considering how much they want to escape the Austin Powers comparison yet they're borrowing the whole "villain is agent's foster brother" from Goldmember. Just cut it.

I don't mind the idea of Blofeld using the alias as a little dig at Bond, but not as an actual relative.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Just hope they change that "mickey mouse" line!
    Really out of place and "non Bondian".

Still find it difficult to see how they will get all this action and plot development scenes and character development scenes .. in less then 2,5 hours lenght.
    I think they will have to cut down scenes, just as they did in SK (and see the harm it did!).
    Just hope they dont cut the scenes when the Mi6 gang is around (i really like the relationship built between Bond and M, Bond and Q, Bond and Monneypenny, Q and Monneypenny with M - a real team! And the dialogues are witty and funny at the same time).
  • I can't wait to see images of what all these new characters look like (Hair, makeup, costumes etc.)
    So wait Waltz is not Blofield and the character isn't even on the film?
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    In other words: A classic Purvis and Wade line. ;-) And yes, hopefully, Jez Butterworth will rewrite it. On the bright side, Mendes tends to polish the dialogue mid-production.
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    Strelik wrote: »
    In other words: A classic Purvis and Wade line. ;-) And yes, hopefully, Jez Butterworth will rewrite it. On the bright side, Mendes tends to polish the dialogue mid-production.
    The line may work out once on set. But if it is really bad you would hope they would come up with a better line.
    What line would you guys use instead, in the same situation?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Anyone let me know how this 'mickey mouse' line is used?
  • I still haven't actually gotten round to reading the script. Maybe I will later.
    Zekidk wrote: »

I agree. It's seems foolish to me to do it considering how much they want to escape the Austin Powers comparison yet they're borrowing the whole "villain is agent's foster brother" from Goldmember. Just cut it.

I don't mind the idea of Blofeld using the alias as a little dig at Bond, but not as an actual relative.

I'd never thought of that but you're right. All that BS about avoiding the old school Bond stuff because it's too Austin Powers and then they go and do this storyline which is very similar to Goldmember.

I wish they hadn't gone with the brother angle but I'm not a hundred percent opposed to it. If handled right then I think it could be good and could add some real drama to the film.

I hope they use the name Blofeld, otherwise what's the point in having SPECTRE? If you're not gonna use Blofeld (and instead make a new character) then why have SPECTRE be the evil organisation, why not just carry on the Quantum story instead?