Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I look back at die another day now, and it think, what a dreadful bond film. I cannot believe I liked it at the cinema. lol. pierce should have gone eout on higher note, oh well. Just shows how great the Daniel craig ones are. More realistic, but still holds that fantasy, bond espionage.

Everybody liked it at the cinema. It was absolutely the right movie for 2002.
    It hasn't aged well. It looks dated in the CGI department and it is too over the top in retrospect.

In another 10 years it might be perceived differently again. Probably better. It's just not old enough yet.
    My theory is that a movie must be 25 years old to be truly and finally judged.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    FYI, the stewardess (sorry, flight attendant) who gives Bond his shaken drink at 0.13 is Roger Moore's daughter, Deborah.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Is DAD is not as bad as some make it out to be. I enjoyed it in 2002 ; watching it today , even with it's flaws such as the title song and the tidal wave, I can still enjoy it as an over the top variety Bond. I will watch this before DAF
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yea DAD is kinda the modern OTT Epic Bond ..like YOLT, TSWLM and MR. @talos7 is right ..its not as bad or nearly as bad as fans on here proclaim. Its a straight OTT Bond film... and I agree with @Bondjasonbond006 that given time this film will be far more appreciated.

Any word on the SP title theme?
    I'm a huge Brosnan fan and really like his performances in each film, but I was 11 at the time I saw DAD in theatres and hated it. You can have an over the top Bond film and not make it so cheesy. Brosnan got saddled with some awful scripts and just as poor supporting casts.

In a perfect world DAD never happens and something along the lines of the game Everything or Nothing is Pierce's final film.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Perfect discussion for the Spectre title song thread.
    But wouldn't an arrangement between Adele and Phil Collins be more predictable and 'safe' and nowhere near 'left field' that has been teased before? Unless of course because it's never been seen before with the same artist with back to back film tracks that's exactly why it could be considered so.

I have to say, the first time I heard Adele's song was over the superb opening credits and it gave me goosebumps with the full effect of the song working so well with them. I don't really want to ruin that effect with Spectre so would actually prefer a personal news blackout from here on in to get that full effect, not know the artist, have the song listened to over 100 times nor know more from more trailer releases.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It's a slow time, topics wander.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 330
    Sorry to bring the DAD topic, but just wanted to point out my thoughts on it today. I was a huge pierce brosnan fan too growing up. Its what begun my time as a fan. It's just, there's far too many fantasy elements towards the end what spoilt it. Good for a guilty pleasure film though. Anyway... back on topic.

I'm looking forward to this page covered in confirmed news and discussions about the artist when it's announced. Am I the only one expecting a September confirmation ?
    Well with it being September tomorrow surely we should have something hopefully within the next 2 weeks maybe?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well with it being September tomorrow surely we should have something hopefully within the next 2 weeks maybe?

Wasn't it October when we learned about Adele's theme?
    Adele is releasing her album 25 in November, that means her first single will be out 4 weeks earlier which is around the beginning of October.
    And of course her first single will totally coincidentally be the James Bond theme :P
    Adele is releasing her album 25 in November, that means her first single will be out 4 weeks earlier which is around the beginning of October.
    And of course her first single will totally coincidentally be the James Bond theme :P

if it winds up being RadioHead or someone else what will your thoughts be? Sometimes an album is released in November with no bearing on the bond franchise.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think I'm warming up to the possibility of Adele returning.

Risico007 wrote: »

if it winds up being RadioHead or someone else what will your thoughts be? Sometimes an album is released in November with no bearing on the bond franchise.

But isn't that just a little bit suspicious?
    Of course it could be a coincidence.

I actually don't really care who it is as long as the song is a killer tune.
    Ok, I care, I could not live with Justin "look at me buff bod" Biebs or One (way) Direction. Or God forbid Miley (hey lookie lookie I'm a slut) Cryrus.
    Or even worse Kanye (I AM GOD) Pest.
    :))
    As much as I love Adele's music and Skyfall, I'm not sure her type of music would suit what Spectre needs, but who knows. Skyfall was a haunting tune and perfect for that film but not sure if that direction again is the best way to go.

You're right. Especially with all the riveting Spectre title song news of late.

Not sure? I will just be grateful to finally find out who it is? :))

Not sure? I will just be grateful to finally find out who it is? :))

Agreed :D
    I'm amazed about how they kept this a secret for so long. There were other musicians involved, a recording studio with techs around, managers, hangers on etc. just crazy that absolutely nothing has leaked. We know no more today than last fall. Maybe there will be 2 songs though. I remember there was a song over the closing credits of one of Dalton's films, so maybe, given the leaked ending, we will get a ballad at the end, and something gritty for the main song.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    There is often a different (usually soon forgotten) song over the end titles. Exceptions are perhaps Surrender at the end of TND, which should have been the title track.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited September 2015 Posts: 191
    I have no kind words for "Surrender", too pastiche for me, like a bad imitation of what a spy film theme tune supposedly sounds like.
    I have no kind words for "Surrender", too pastiche for me, like a bad imitation of what a spy film theme tune supposedly sounds like.

I'm really not a fan of surrender for the very same reason. It seems to be all over the place. Certainly wouldn't rate it as an end song let alone an intro one
    andmcit wrote: »

I'm really not a fan of surrender for the very same reason. It seems to be all over the place. Certainly wouldn't rate it as an end song let alone an intro one

I'm in agreement here. I too find it pastiche. I prefer Crowe's often lambasted title track personally.
    I prefer Surrender. kd lang's singing is so incredible.
    I prefer Surrender. kd lang's singing is so incredible.

It's very relevant to this particular discussion as it doesn't just come down to the singer, who may be great, but the song and it's production need to be a match too.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    I wish Pulp's song would have been used instead, so much better.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm in agreement here. I too find it pastiche. I prefer Crowe's often lambasted title track personally.

I find Crowe's song and recording pretty mediocre. Not the worst but just very middle of the road. TWINE and DAD are worse. I remember sitting in the cinema as the end credits rolled with Kd Lang singing Surrender and thinking why the hell wasn't this the main title track!?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »

I find Crowe's song and recording pretty mediocre. Not the worst but just very middle of the road. TWINE and DAD are worse. I remember sitting in the cinema as the end credits rolled with Kd Lang singing Surrender and thinking why the hell wasn't this the main title track!?

I just listened to both again. I agree that Lang's track is more Bondian, and bold/brassy, and her voice is certainly much stronger than Crowe's but it is derivative to my ears, hence my agreement on it being pastiche.

Crowe's track doesn't really suit the upbeat nature of the film admittedly, but I somehow like the lyrics and mellow tune as a standalone listen (it's unique enough in the canon).

Lang's just seems imitative of the greats and yet not quite up to the Barry tracks or even Turner's Edge/Bono helmed previous entry, which may be why they decided to go with a different sound with Crowe as the main.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote: »

I just listened to both again. I agree that Lang's track is more Bondian, and bold/brassy, and her voice is certainly much stronger than Crowe's but it is derivative to my ears, hence my agreement on it being pastiche.

Crowe's track doesn't really suit the upbeat nature of the film admittedly, but I somehow like the lyrics and mellow tune as a standalone listen (it's unique enough in the canon).

Lang's just seems imitative of the greats and yet not quite up to the Barry tracks or even Turner's Edge/Bono helmed previous entry, which may be why they decided to go with a different sound with Crowe as the main.

I agree with this entirely.

I think the Brosnan main title songs are the least of the problems of that era. I could make a decent argument for each one being fairly unique.