Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's a fantastic song outside of context too ;)
    patb wrote: »
    If there is an appreciation thread, should we have the opposite for those of us who really want to vent their spleen?

You're in it.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    It making Number One (how ironic for a song associated with Spectre!) means nothing about the quality of the music. For God's sake, Mister Blobby, Cotton Eyed Joe, Crazy Frog and Barbie Girl all did it, but they were still shyte.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,526
    zerozero wrote: »
    It making Number One (how ironic for a song associated with Spectre!) means nothing about the quality of the music. For God's sake, Mister Blobby, Cotton Eyed Joe, Crazy Frog and Barbie Girl all did it, but they were still shyte.

Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, etc. etc. etc. You're 100% correct. Youth is no guarantee of innovation, age is no guarantee of efficiency, and a number 1 spot is no guarantee of quality. I think this point has been beaten to death.
    "Shutupa ya face!"
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,983
    Arnold has a point to a degree but I've listened to Smith's version of the song at least two dozen times, and the superior Sophia Kalberg version a half dozen times; there is no context in which I will ever like Sam's version. This may be just a matter of personal taste than many others seem to share. Others will like it and who am I to say they're wrong.
    I agree @talos7; I don't think the context of a titles sequence is going to make a person like a song they don't already like, or vice versa. It may augment your opinion of it slightly but I don't think anyone's going to say "he's right! I now love WotW by Sam Smith!" after seeing the film.
    Glad to hear. #Bondisthebest
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Double post
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Says more about the state of pop charts within modern culture than it does about the the song itself. I look forward to his Oscar acceptance speech.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    WOTW is loved by the general public, accept it people.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Well, France and Sam Smith indeed do not get well together : for instance, WOTW entered the French Itunes chart at #34 and is now at #74. It's not yet in the more general charts.

To compare, Skyfall was in Top #6 for ... 6 months.

Oh, now that you put it that way, I love it! What was I thinking? :P

Well, France and Sam Smith indeed do not get well together : for instance, WOTW entered the French Itunes chart at #34 and is now at #74. It's not yet in the more general charts.

To compare, Skyfall was in Top #6 for ... 6 months.

just wait one week it's too early to tell
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Yes, I wouldn't have expected anything else. This was the intention.
    I've already heard WOTW at least 4 times on the radio since I've first heard it. I don't remember hearing YKMN at all before I saw the film. Likewise, I only remember hearing AWTD once and that was when it was premiered.

The reworked "Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)" spent 14 weeks at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

Just an observation.
    Candle In The Wind 97 spent 14 weeks at No 1 at the US Billboard Charts.
    Whitney Houston's I will always love you, too.

Just an observation.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    It's officially #1 in the UK.

I'm genuinely surprised that this is the first ever #1 song for Bond. I'd always lazily assumed that at least Duran Duran or Paul McCartney made it to the top.
    In the end quality, or lack of, has nothing to do with chart rankings.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    It's officially #1 in the UK.

I'm genuinely surprised that this is the first ever #1 song for Bond. I'd always lazily assumed that at least Duran Duran or Paul McCartney made it to the top.

I'm not surprised at all. Smith is a big enough name to take it close to #1 and when you add in the additional 'Bond' publicity it's almost a given. @patb correctly mentioned a while back that single sales aren't what they were......so it's almost inevitable when you get this kind of 'press'. Duran Duran and especially Macca were competing in a totally different market. 70's/80's were the heyday for single sales.
    talos7 wrote: »
    In the end quality, or lack of, has nothing to do with chart rankings.

Absolutely correct. Great songs have got to #1 and complete 's' has as well.
    Yes, and WOTW belongs to the category Great Songs imho.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Maybe it's because I'm on medicine for my cold, but I think now that WOTW is perfect for SP. Especially while looking at pictures of Seydoux.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe it's because I'm on medicine for my cold, but I think now that WOTW is perfect for SP. Especially while looking at pictures of Seydoux.

I have some morphine in my refrigerator. Will check if it helps out that castrato song. Thanks for the tip.

I have some morphine in my refrigerator. Will check if it helps out that castrato song. Thanks for the tip.

Lol, I was just going to suggest Heroin ;)

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    talos7 wrote: »

Lol, I was just going to suggest Heroin ;)

You two are hilarious! Shall we have a big "Listen- to- Writing's- on- the- Wall- While- Doing- Drugs-Party!"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    that should " Shoot up" the charts.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    ...hopefully the song won't "shoot in and out" of the charts.
    Are class A drugs required to listen through WotW then?
    nah...just good taste in music I'm afraid!