Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :))
    I'll let you know on the 26th
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,982
    What did Sean say about The Beatles? ;)
    No# 1 eh =D> .

Wonderful. WONDERFUL! And the best free publicity/marketing there is for a Bond film ;-). Congratulations Sam with writing history in our beloved Bond franchise!
    Oh no doubt it great publicity.
    With Sam getting #1, would that be an All Time High ? :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    DrGorner wrote: »
    With Sam getting #1, would that be an All Time High ? :D

Well for some here that's just Another Way To Die !
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm hoping I can make comment on this and not get the kind of reception I got last time.

I felt I owed it enough to give it another go, so I listened to it twice and it's not quite as bad as I remember the first time round. The string laden opening is great and I guess Sam's vocal is fine enough but I'm sorry like others I'm not buying that falsetto, also like others it feels like it needs some more oomph.

Not a fan of the man's voice and never are going to be like some can't stomach other vocalists voices. It still remains for me one of the weakest themes yet.

It's not what I wanted but I guess I'll make peace with it but no it's not a knee jerk reaction it's my opinion. I wasn't going to comment again but I felt I'd give the song another go and while I haven't all of a sudden fallen down noticed the error of my ways it's not a terrible as I initially thought it was.

It wasn't marketed for the likes of me and now I guess the artist that is the most current and hot at the time is the kind of strategy that EON will plow, before Skyfall this hadn't been the case for as long as I can remember.

Just looking forward to Spectre immensely and that new trailer is a corker.
    Hey we can't like them all ;) on first hearing I didn't like it, but it's a
    slow burner. Now I love it and have done for a while.
    @Shardlake have you listened to the Sophia Kalberg cover? For those who are not fond of Smith's delivery it's an improvement.
    talos7 wrote: »
    @Shardlake have you listened to the Sophia Kalberg cover? For those who are not fond of Smith's delivery it's an improvement.

Yes I did and I agree it's more palatable although her voice while technically good is a bit bland, never gone for technically great voices personally give me Kate Bush & Bjork over the like of Carey & Houston.

Now if Beth Gibbons from Portishead has sung it then you'd be talking.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    I've already heard WOTW at least 4 times on the radio since I've first heard it. I don't remember hearing YKMN at all before I saw the film. Likewise, I only remember hearing AWTD once and that was when it was premiered.

That's because YNMN was meant to work well with the film. That was back when EON was more interested in making a good movie than in competing in the charts. I miss the days when film music was just film music.

And as many people said here, chart position is not an indicator of quality. If I may add, it's usually quiet the contrary.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Yes I did and I agree it's more palatable although her voice while technically good is a bit bland, never gone for technically great voices personally give me Kate Bush & Bjork over the like of Carey & Houston.

Big Portishead fan here, I agree.

Shardlake wrote: »

Big Portishead fan here, I agree.

Many would say their time has long past and maybe in this era of choosing the next big thing but I think Barrow, Utley & Gibbons would produce something very different but in keeping with the best of Barry.

Unlike some that just ape his sound Portishead are clearly fans of the governor but they put their own spin on it. Can't wait to hear what they've got in store for album no. 4.

I'm sitting in no-man's land as I'm deliberately avoiding listening to WotW although would be lying if I didn't confess to having concerns about the many comments about the suitability of the song to fit Bond, it's delivery and SS's voice and range. BUT.

I haven't found a Bond song I can't listen to YET though (including the one's that are raked up time and time again as being the worst - yes really). I love them all as they're a part of Bond for me and I associate them with the film not as standalone in their own right songs that need to sell thousands to get the #1 spot. Although I'm artistic, that's directed towards illustration and design not music and I failed miserably to play a recorder in junior school and gave it up as a bad job. That said, I've spent my years collecting and listening to anything to do with the Bond sound and am more biased towards soundtracks generally.

I'm currently listening to Armageddon on Youtube as I type this after listening to Ennio Morricone's Once Upon a Time in the West. For my sins I really love TSWLM, MR and especially AVTAK and TLD as these were the first Bonds I grew up with and they've stayed with me ever since. Repeatedly played, time and time again. I have a bit more trouble with some of the SC era in fact but still give them airtime in my routines.

What I can see on this thread is many expressing disappointment and frustration and feeling a bit let down where the bar of quality and expectation has been set so high with the production values displayed in the run up to the film and the general reception of SF. I personally cannot see any malicious intent to rubbish Bond, SP or Sam Smith or get into sexism or homophobia. FFS, how many music artists are black or gay (or both) and nobody bats an eyelid - it's actually almost expected even.

On the other side I see those that get SS more and go so far as to say WotW has a truly moving magical quality to it. I hope I can find this too I do. Where I'm going with this ramble though is the very background to why I see there are two camps pro and anti WotW. Younger Bond fans don't have so much of the emotional attachment to the Bond sound of the SC, RM or TD films and are PB or DC era newbies. You can see this with the first Bond film viewed thread. The olds (me too as I'm '68 vintage so clearly ancient) don't 'get' the X factor, Reality contest mindset of the anyone can make a #1 best seller music business now and the more raw less polished presentation of it.

What I would just gently suggest into the to-ing and fro-ing from reading this thread, is that some of the more forceful, antagonistic and even aggressive posts seem to come from the pro SS WotW fans who appear affronted by the criticism as if it were their own song, work, even spouse/ gf etc being criticised. The 'what's wrong with you, can't you see it's a masterpiece?' attitude. I don't see those that don't like the song holding the same forceful view - in fact some have expressed jealousy that they wish they could see it/like it.

As it happens for me personally, I'll listen to the opening SP production and very probably feel a bit letdown comparing the song to some of my favourites. But then I do that when I hear Three Blind Mice or believe it or not the James Bond theme itself. Yes I'll listen to them but I have others I prefer. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised on the 26th though I really do.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Wow 90 pages and y'all are still whacking away at that song.

Griping about it isn't going to make Smith sound any better.

Just kidding but seriously don't forget the trailers, new comic, and new book by that pompous racist guy
  • pjtpjt
    nah...just good taste in music I'm afraid!

Oh, you really shouldn't have said that. If you say you like it, if you say that your opinion is that we should like it, that would be your right to say. But mixing in musical taste debates just flushed all your arguments down the toilet.
    Pulling out "taste" arguments out of people's asses is just the proof where the original idea for this abomination came from.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    pjt wrote: »

Oh, you really shouldn't have said that. If you say you like it, if you say that your opinion is that we should like it, that would be your right to say. But mixing in musical taste debates just flushed all your arguments down the toilet.
    Pulling out "taste" arguments out of people's asses is just the proof where the original idea for this abomination came from.

I tell you a secret:

Humour

look it up in the dictionary

• pjtpjt
    pjt wrote: »

I tell you a secret:

Humour

look it up in the dictionary

Then it was the same good taste as the song.
    Yes, that humor was in rather "poor" taste :P
    I've spent a week listening to WOTW now, and I think it's a really good effort. That being said, I wouldn't mind a band doing the next one, we haven't had a band playing the theme song since 1999!

On a side note; found this mash-up between Adele's Skyfall and Queens of The Stone Age's No One Knows, which at least gives a QOTSA-fan an idea to what a Josh Homme-Bond theme could sound like! Here's hoping for Bond 25! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=EsEZ1jvjTB0
  • ELargoELargo New york
    What the hell has happened to my cousins across the pond? You produced some of the greatest artists and songs in history and now THIS PIECE OF CRAP SONG IS #1 ON YOUR CHARTS. Have you lost your minds? OK I'll give you its a good melody but when Sam Smith sings it's over. It sinks like a lead balloon.
    Looking forward to seeing the video next week! :-bd
    Yes. =D>
    I've spent a week listening to WOTW now, and I think it's a really good effort. That being said, I wouldn't mind a band doing the next one, we haven't had a band playing the theme song since 1999!

On a side note; found this mash-up between Adele's Skyfall and Queens of The Stone Age's No One Knows, which at least gives a QOTSA-fan an idea to what a Josh Homme-Bond theme could sound like! Here's hoping for Bond 25! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=EsEZ1jvjTB0

:-? ...me thinks not.
    I am highly amused about all the kids throwing their toys out of their prams simply because they do not like something. And the 007 franchise should stay away from forrays into the hard rock scene with their songs (one of the better aspects of xXx, I just love Rammstein). The Bondsongs have always been a good batch and the franchise has a good trackrecord with the titlesongs even if some of them before the last two were somewhat less recognisable as Bond titlesong. You cannot deny that SF & TWOTW are recognisable as for whoms franchise they advertise.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Soundtrack on Amazon says 'includes instrumental of Sam Smith song..' so it's not on the soundtrack, the actual song.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B015EZU1QS/007dossier-20
    =bg= wrote: »
    Soundtrack on Amazon says 'includes instrumental of Sam Smith song..' so it's not on the soundtrack, the actual song.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B015EZU1QS/007dossier-20

Yay! ...btw very close but there's more whining on this thread than in the actual song.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote: »

When is it being released?

Dragonpol wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

When is it being released?

Monday