Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ummm...Quantum of Solace anyone? I'm not a big FYEO fan, but the PTS alone makes it far from boring.

Are you saying QoS is the most boring? How?

I just derive no enjoyment from QOS whatsoever. I was actually falling asleep toward the end of my first viewing. I have yet to watch it again.

Just seems like the last movie one would find "boring" in the series. I can understand not caring for it/hating it, but regardless of that, it's far from boring.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000

Ummm...Quantum of Solace anyone? I'm not a big FYEO fan, but the PTS alone makes it far from boring.

I just derive no enjoyment from QOS whatsoever. I was actually falling asleep toward the end of my first viewing. I have yet to watch it again.

Just seems like the last movie one would find "boring" in the series. I can understand not caring for it/hating it, but regardless of that, it's far from boring.

I think the main reasons that I find it boring are the low-stakes plot that's hard for me to care about, and the issue of any potentially exciting action sequences being chopped up by bad editing. QOS was only the third Bond film I'd ever seen and it nearly put me off the series.

I think the main reasons that I find it boring are the low-stakes plot that's hard for me to care about, and the issue of any potentially exciting action sequences being chopped up by bad editing. It was only the third Bond film I'd ever seen and it nearly put me off the series.

I never knew that, so good on you for sticking through the bad and keeping with the series!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I think the main reasons that I find it boring are the low-stakes plot that's hard for me to care about, and the issue of any potentially exciting action sequences being chopped up by bad editing. It was only the third Bond film I'd ever seen and it nearly put me off the series.

I never knew that, so good on you for sticking through the bad and keeping with the series!

Oddly enough, it was TWINE that redeemed the series for me. I'm sure many would find me strange for that.
    It's my second favorite of Brosnan's - I fluctuate with how much I love it at a given point in time, but it's usually a middle-tier and entertaining film for me.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Most nonsensical thread.

Seconded. Do I hear a Third?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Is it the most boring? No. I do however rank it low. For the longest time it was at the very bottom of my Bond list but it gets better with each viewing. I now have it second to last, with A View To A Kill in last.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited April 2017 Posts: 308
    Is it the most boring? No. I do however rank it low. For the longest time it was at the very bottom of my Bond list but it gets better with each viewing. I now have it second to last, with A View To A Kill in last.

Wow. Second to last, really? That's ... I can not even ... But ... Never mind. :wink:

I certainly do not find it boring, I think it's one of the best Bond films. The one part I feel is kind of boring, is the underwater sequence (with the Neptune- submarine) goes on too long. The PTS is a little silly, but other than that a great Bond-film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAD, TWINE -- I mean, ... TWINE! ... -- better than FYEO? I'm shocked. Well if one craves dullness of course...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TWINE is hardly dull and boring. It's a mystery how it's so disliked around here... It's one of my favorites.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I enjoy TWINE much more than FYEO. It's in my top 10. there's a lot to like about it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2017 Posts: 6,791
    I used to dislike FYEO for God knows which reason but my last viewing was a great experience. Either this or LALD is Rog's finest hour in my opinion.

Also, anyone not liking John Glen's directorial style must have a good look at how beautiful this film looks at times.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It looks terrific. Not sure what happened later.
  • GBFGBF
    FYEO is one of my favourites. There are a few elements that have not aged so very well but the action and the plot are both fantastic and much more thrilling than much of the action in recent Bond films.... where CGI is all over the place.

I like the summerly feel and mediteranian flair and most of the characters. I wish Dalton would have taken over the role earlier for this film. Roger is good but his age is becoming too obvious at this point in time...

I also don't mind the Thatcher parody. People sometimes become a bot too serious with Bond films. I don't mind these few more ironic elements, especially if they happen towards the very end of the film...
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Imho FYEO is neither great, nor terrible. That's the problem.

Nothing is particularly memorable; Bond girls are meh, villains are forgettable and the locations/sets are not that amazing compared to the preceding and following films in the Bond franchise.

It's a film that feels as if it was shot in one location (Greece) and nothing can shake that feeling.

In the end, FYEO is a decent but bland, by-the-numbers Bond film and one of Moore's worst. Ironically enough, the outlandish MR is his other bad film, for me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Imho FYEO is neither great, nor terrible. That's the problem.

Nothing is particularly memorable; Bond girls are meh, villains are forgettable and the locations/sets are not that amazing compared to the preceding and following films in the Bond franchise.

It's a film that feels as if it was shot in one location (Greece) and nothing can shake that feeling.

In the end, FYEO is a decent but bland, by-the-numbers Bond film and one of Moore's worst. Ironically enough, the outlandish MR is his other bad film, for me.

Bond kicking the car (with Locque) of the cliff is pretty memorable in my opinion, as well as the The Citroën-chase and Ski-chase. But you don't think so?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FYEO is sublime. Even though it was written for a possible new actor to take over, the film is much better for having Rog in it. I love how it ties in OHMSS to its themes of aging and revenge.

Moore is fantastic. He pulls off the world weary assassin in this and parts of OP so well. I personally enjoy all of the characters, even Bibi, she really adds something to the story.

I think the score is mostly good. Sure, it's not Barry, but I don't think it's half as bad as its reputation would suggest. The settings and some of the visuals that accompany them are amazing.

I'm fine with the pacing. The only time I might be bored is during the underwater sequence, but this is definitely not the most boring Bond film of the bunch. I know the film is polarizing around here (growing up, my best friend disliked it also) but count me in with those who love it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    FYEO, boring? No.

Any list of what went right with this film has to begin with Roger Moore. After two mediocre performances, he really nails down the part here. He is courageous, commanding, tough, and, most importantly, serious, thanks to new director John Glen.

Another BIG breath of fresh air is provided by the villains and allies, who are also treated seriously and given unusual depth of character. Julian Glover is exceptional as the ruthless and deceptive Kristatos. It is villains like this that help make the Bond series so great, and Glover is excellent indeed. No wonder Steven Spielberg cast him for Indiana Jones! In Topol, most famous for his work in 'Fiddler on the Roof', we get a terrific ally who has a great chemistry with Bond. I imagine I am not the only person who found him to be much like Kerim Bey in the great 'From Russia With Love'.

Then there is the matter of the women, who both bring good and bad qualities to the table. Carole Bouquet is somewhat wooden as female lead, Melina, but can also hold her own in some of the more emotional scenes.

Undeniably one of Roger Moore's best outings as 007, For Your Eyes Only was an attempt by Cubby Broccoli to bring Bond down to earth after the over the top Moonraker.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Let's recap: these films have been called the most boring:

SF
    DAF
    SP
    AVTAK
    TWINE
    YOLT
    TMWTGG
    OP
    QOS
    GF
    TB
    TLD
    GE
    NSNA

Just shows how different tastes are. Luckily.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Or bad......
  • MooresflaresMooresflares Manchester
    Thunderball and diamonds are forever
    No, Spectre is.
    FYEO is pretty boring ,but that is also the score...very dated now....the 2nd part of TND is bloody boring....and GF sends me to sleep !!

You can say many things about certain Bond films but DAF,TMWTGG and OP are not boring,come on.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    FYEO is pretty boring ,but that is also the score...very dated now....the 2nd part of TND is bloody boring....and GF sends me to sleep !!

You can say many things about certain Bond films but DAF,TMWTGG and OP are not boring,come on.
    I don't mind FYEO but agree it's a bit dull in places. I don't really like the finale all the much.

I completely agree with you on the rest.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Despite For Your Eyes Only being my favourite Bond film, I also do agree the finale is dull for a Bond thriller. It looks tired, slow-paced and uninteresting. Then again, that's John Glen's trademark.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If FYEO was the most boring film it's now given up the title to SP.
    Spectre is a legendary masterpiece compared to Octopussy and A View To A Kill, especially the latter.
    Spectre is a legendary masterpiece compared to Octopussy and A View To A Kill, especially the latter.

Oooh that should be in the controversial thread...OP ???? really ???

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm afraid I must disagree. OP is a firm top 10 of mine. A thrill ride from start to finish. I was just discussing the auction sequence with a work colleague today. Sir Rog is on fire and the entire cast of villains is top notch. Up there with LALD for villain charisma imho.

I'll give you AVTAK. Tired.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »

Oooh that should be in the controversial thread...OP ???? really ???
    @barryt007, the Berlin segment especially comes to bore me to death. And I was never sold to the villain who is very weak a character. He plays it way too safe. Not that I have anything against Louis Jordan, but Kamal Khan is one of my least favourite Bond villains. Heck, his henchman was more charismatic and rich with presence than he was.