Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, @bondjames, New Romantics started in '79 and by the summer of '81 were in their full pomp. I think before that it was called New Wave? Electro music was all the rage at this time. not disco, for which groundbreaking Giorgio Moroder could be called one of it's earliest inspirations. Now, I loved his Midnight Express score in '78, but I'd still go so far as to say Bond should've remained orchestral and not try and stick its toe into the contemporary scene. That's the business of the title song only IMO.
    I agree @bondsum but I have to say that I appreciate the fact that Barry incorporated contemporary synthesizers into the TLD score (very Michael Jackson BAD from the same year). It gives that score a unique sound (I realize he had used the Moog synthesizers on OHMSS as well).
    I think that was slightly different, @bondjames, as Moog synthesizers are an instrument and it all depends on how they are used. For instance, Chicory Tip and ELP were both using synths in the early 70's but their musical styles are miles apart, as one was cheesy Pop and the other was Prog Rock. And again, synths were later to gain popularity in the disco scene as well, and that's another completely different music category. For me, Barry was a pioneer, but he didn't create a new music category with OHMSS or TLD. I guess the reason why Barry brought back the synths for TLD was down to the popularity of New Wave music and the fact that A-Ha used them, too. But he still kept it orchestral behind the synths.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FYEO's Cold War spy story combined with the visuals and characters from MR, wouldn't that have been a treat? ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    FYEO's Cold War spy story combined with the visuals and characters from MR, wouldn't that have been a treat? ;)
    Now, you're talking! :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Murdock wrote: »
    No, YOLT is.

200% agree with you (100% was not enough)
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    The problem I have with FYEO goes all the way back to the summer of 81 and before. After the release of MR, as a matter of fact, when RM publicly announced to the world that MR would be his last Bond picture. As others have mentioned previously, and on other threads elsewhere, the UK newspapers were heavily tipping Lewis Collins to takeover. He was everybody's favourite choice. Now, if Cubby had actually cast a younger Collins in the role, jettisoned all the silly stuff out of FYEO and made it that tonally grounded Bond picture he'd been promising then, frankly, my view of this film would be entirely different. As it stands, it still stars the ageing Moore, this time coming back for a bigger paycheck, and a story that feels written for an entirely different Bond actor. A lot of you won't remember Moore complaining to the press that he didn't like kicking Locque's car over the cliff, saying that it "was Bond-like, but not Roger Moore Bond-like". You see, folks, dear Roger didn't even want to film that scene and did his best to change it. For me, it's always been an odd movie, a hybrid of silliness with lofty aims that doesn't quite gel, and one that should've starred Lewis Collins. It could've been a contender, but instead it's just a mild curiosity with a terrible musical score.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 533
    I don't think so. "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY" is one of my all time favorite Bond movies It felt more like an espionage film than most of the entries in the franchise.

"THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS" is also one of my all time favorite Bond films. I tend to prefer those movies that do not stick to the Bond formula. I find them more interesting.
    It's not about the formula for me that strike these films down, but their feel of being TV Movies rather than flavour-rich works of cinema. John Glen always had this problem with his tenure. Otherwise, Both of these films are Top 5 Material.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FYEO has constantly been struggling with TSWLM for the position of my favourite Roger Moore Bond movie. It has something to do with my earlier disdain for MOONRAKER and FYEO's merit for getting the franchise back on track after the seemingly unforgivable journey into STAR WARS territory. I'm unsure by now, since coming to appreciate MR a lot more after boycotting it initially, what FYEO's role may be. Chances are there will be a sort of three- or foursome at the top for me (in chronologial order: LALD, TSWLM, MR, and FYEO) as opposed to the lesser entries (TMWTGG; OP, AVTAK).

Note: My PC decided it should play the LALD theme to accompany this post.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can call it inconsistent, or you can say that it has everything.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    It does veer rather wildly in tone at times. The PTS has some great stuntwork but I've disliked the more cartoony nature of "Blofeld" as I've got older.

Also, watching The Guns of Navarone the other week made me realise how much FYEO seems to "borrow" from it.
    I wish it had just a little more crazy outlandishness to it (characters and story). That would have made it perfect.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'm watching Escape To Athena as we speak, but I see that a lot more as the atmospheric inspiration for For Your Eyes Only than anything else. Savalas' character has a younger Columbo-esque vibe about him.
    I have that film on blu ray but haven't seen it yet. I think I may have to do it this weekend, but Force 10 from Navarone beckons first.
    @bondjames, you'll enjoy how many Bond alumnus you'll find in Athena. :D
    I'm sure @ClarkDevlin. I bought it for Moore of course but knew there were lots of Bond folks in it. Same goes for Force 10. I can't believe I haven't seen either yet.
    People sometimes argue that the villains in TLD are forgettable, but I find the villains in FYEO to be the most forgettable in the entire series. I almost never see fans discuss Kristatos or any of the others - the only one I see discussed is Locque, only notable for getting kicked off a cliff. There is nothing to say about them otherwise.
    Milovy wrote: »
    People sometimes argue that the villains in TLD are forgettable, but I find the villains in FYEO to be the most forgettable in the entire series. I almost never see fans discuss Kristatos or any of the others - the only one I see discussed is Locque, only notable for getting kicked off a cliff. There is nothing to say about them otherwise.
    True that. And while TLD's villains, save for Whitaker, are weak (not because they are, but aren't glorified enough by the director himself and let them shine), Necros is notable for being a successful homage to Red Grant, Whitaker the heavily outfitted with artillery arms dealer, and the hilariously as well as fakedly overacting er... *snaps finger repeatedly* What's his name? Ah yes, Georgi Koskov. You gotta admit, Koskov was a funny villain in a way, thanks to Jeroen Krabbe's performance.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They are both weak, but TLD's at least have that injection of 'camp' via Krabbe that elevate them slightly. As I noted earlier on this thread, I like that element in a Bond film and would have preferred if FYEO had just a bit more of it. Having said that, FYEO's villains do seem more deadly and realistic, especially the 'silent' Locque.

TLD reminds me very much of FYEO in more ways than one, and I rank them both very close with FYEO slightly ahead. They would make a good double bill actually.
    bondsum wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Maybe I should put in the controversial opinions thread, but I like FYEO's score. It seemed fresh then and I still enjoy it. It energizes the many action sequences and doesn't repeat itself over and over.

It works better than most non-Barry scores from the '80s onward. I can listen to this and reimagine certain scenes in the film, which is important. Can't say the same with Kamen, Serra, much of Arnold and about any of Newman.
    I have to disagree, @BT3366. The FYEO score did not "seem fresh" back in the summer of 1981, far from it. The funky-jazz-brass disco scene, which Conti's score can be described as, was pretty dated by June '81. I thought Marvin Hamlisch did a much better job of introducing disco to Bond in '77 than Bill Conti managed 4 years later. That was when it felt fresh. I can still recall disliking his score immensely back in the cinema in '81. So much so, it was the first Bond movie whereby I didn't purchase the LP soundtrack afterwards. Sure, his Rocky score was pretty good for a boxing movie, but Bond is not a boxing movie, and this style of music doesn't suit a Bond picture IMHO. Now, if EON had wanted a proper contemporary disco-funk composer to score the music then they should've given Nile Rodgers or Allee Willis a call. They didn't, and we sadly ended up with disco music that sounded like my old man had composed it.

I think a Barry scored FYEO would've lifted this rather dull Bond movie and given it an extra dynamic that, for me, feels solely lacking.

All good points. Disco was indeed dated by then, but it still felt fresh to me.
    The score is of its time, but feel like it isn't entirely disco and still enjoy hearing it altogether now that that type of music isn't belittled anymore and we can enjoy it for what it was.

I think we'd all agree that a Barry score added to any of the Bonds he didn't work on originally would be an automatic boost to those films.
    I will say this for Conti, @BT3366, at least his song resonated with radio listeners and record buyers in 81, which is more than can be said for Barry's OP title song. By the way, have your heard Sheena Easton's alternative version for FYEO, that was a completely different song? It's quite dreadful. No wonder EON told Conti to go away and compose another better one.

Here it is, if you haven't heard it...

I like FYEO, It's just the whole Thatcher thing at the I found unnecessary!
    There must be more to that alternative ,that must be a raw experiment !!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never heard that before. Horrible, and the lip synch is a little off.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    That song, Contis score make my ears bleed
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Never heard that before. Horrible, and the lip synch is a little off.

She was going for that Godzilla movie effect.
    Not at all. It's tense, the action is great, and it has one of the more interesting stories.

I might say TB for the most boring film, particularly those underwater bits.
    It's not about the formula for me that strike these films down, but their feel of being TV Movies rather than flavour-rich works of cinema. John Glen always had this problem with his tenure. Otherwise, Both of these films are Top 5 Material.

I don't agree. John Glen directed five Bond films. At least three of them are among my top favorites - including "For Your Eyes Only". What I especially liked about his films is that aside from "A View to a Kill", they featured either unusual or rather interesting films. The 1985 film tend to adhere a lot close to the "Bond formula", of which I am not a major fan. The only reason I have stuck with the Bond franchise this long is that thankfully, not all of its films have adhered to the the formula. Now I'll admit that "License to Kill" reminds me a lot of the 1980s series, "Miami Vice" . . . well, in regard to narrative. But even "Miami Vice" has always had a theatrical touch to it.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    barryt007 wrote: »
    There must be more to that alternative ,that must be a raw experiment !!
    A raw experiment? No, it's a demo of Cont's first stab at the FYEO song, before he was told to go away and improve on it.

Does anyone remember Sheena Easton singing FYEO at the Oscars in 82 with Jaws, Oddjob, Blofeld and Dr No alongside her on stage? God, it was cheesy, but the audience seemed to lap it up at the time. It was around this period it became embarrassing to be a Bond fan. Here's the video if you haven't seen it. It's poor quality, but it's the only one I could find...

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DRush76 wrote: »

I don't agree. John Glen directed five Bond films. At least three of them are among my top favorites - including "For Your Eyes Only". What I especially liked about his films is that aside from "A View to a Kill", they featured either unusual or rather interesting films. The 1985 film tend to adhere a lot close to the "Bond formula", of which I am not a major fan. The only reason I have stuck with the Bond franchise this long is that thankfully, not all of its films have adhered to the the formula. Now I'll admit that "License to Kill" reminds me a lot of the 1980s series, "Miami Vice" . . . well, in regard to narrative. But even "Miami Vice" has always had a theatrical touch to it.

The films have always depicted items that were in vogue in their days. In a way, James Bond film are time capsules.

I don't mind LTK being reminiscent of Miami Vice. Maybe because I like that show too. You're also right that MV always had a theatrical touch to it.

Anyway, FYEO came from last spot into my top 10. Now it's around 13 or 14. Decent entry, though John Glen definitely peaked in the Dalton years.