Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

I'd also agree that it is not a very sexy Bond film, mainly because Bond is depicted more than in any other movie as an ageing man. From the beginning we're reminded that he's a widower. And Moore at this point, more than any Bond since or after, looks believable as a widower.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A little Google search is convincing me otherwise...........

Well, she was the face of Chanel No. 5 for many years. 😊
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'd also agree that it is not a very sexy Bond film, mainly because Bond is depicted more than in any other movie as an ageing man. From the beginning we're reminded that he's a widower. And Moore at this point, more than any Bond since or after, looks believable as a widower.

Yup. And he turns down the sexual advances of a much younger female. It was obviously the right thing to do, but telling her he would buy her an ice cream pushes the idea of Bond-as-paternal. Even the rendezvous with Cassandra Harris looks like two old retired people on a Florida beach.

• Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I would never consider FYEO to be a boring film, it has some of the most suspenseful actions sequences of the entire series. Although I think the film constantly undermines the stakes of losing the ATAC at every possible turn.

Outside of the initial exposition dump the film never really capitalizes or even acknowledges the threat, it's just sort of swept under the rug, it doesn't help that Bond seems so nonchalant about the whole thing. He constantly throw his mission to the side for Bebe, taking her skiing, visiting her at the hockey rink, taking a nice morning break along the beach with Lisl, his expression on the yacht after losing the ATAC says it all, barely even seems bothered by the whole thing. Also, the plot being furthered by a damn Parrot... really.

None of that is helped by the underwhelming villain that is Kristatos. Even the end of the film feels anticlimactic, having two old men (Columbo, Kriststos) wrestle it out in some playground fight before taking off to the helicopter with Gogol.

I adore this film, it does so many things right but also does everything it can to undermine or remove any sense of impending danger or threat.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I was curious as to if there's a missing line. As this was one of the first of the Bonds I saw numerous times when it was still new, I memorized most of the dialogue and when Bond and Lisl are on the beach, when Loque and Claus appear, I thought Bond asked "Friends of yours?" or did that come from another Moore film?
    Great review @BT3366. About the missing line, I don't recall it from seeing it in the theater but it's surprising how often the line comes up. In the opening of LTK, Bond says "Friends of yours?" and Leiter says "My partners at the DEA". AVTAK, the horse chase, Bond sees Zorin's henchmen, says, "Friends of yours?" and Zorin says "Exercise boys". QoS, Camille, about the guy on the motorcycle, "Friend of yours?"...Bond..."I don’t have any friends". And in TB, while Bond and Domino are having lunch, he spots her shadow, says "Friend of yours?" She says "Works for my guardian". Only thing I saw about a line being cut was on this site's FYEO page that says "A line of dialogue was cut just before filming which would have clearly identified the pre-credits sequence villain as Blofeld, commenting that his torture of Bond was a tenth anniversary celebration since their last meeting ("Diamonds Are Forever" in 1971)". I plan to watch FYEO, maybe this week.
    Am in awe of your memory for dialogue @Thrasos

“I don’t have any friends” is an excellent response to the question
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks @IGotABrudder, though Google helps somewhat! I've been a news reporter so I like to find answers...that and having time in self-isolation. You're right about Craig's QoS response! I wonder if the producers have known "friends of yours" as a "stock" Bond line, pun intended. Oh, ha ha, similarly MR--"You know him?" "Not socially. His name's Jaws."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    I would never consider FYEO to be a boring film, it has some of the most suspenseful actions sequences of the entire series. Although I think the film constantly undermines the stakes of losing the ATAC at every possible turn.

You do sort of wonder: can they not just change the launch codes or something? It is their own Navy and they're still in control of it for the whole thing: are they really slaves to their signalling systems?
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Outside of the initial exposition dump the film never really capitalizes or even acknowledges the threat, it's just sort of swept under the rug, it doesn't help that Bond seems so nonchalant about the whole thing. He constantly throw his mission to the side for Bebe, taking her skiing, visiting her at the hockey rink, taking a nice morning break along the beach with Lisl, his expression on the yacht after losing the ATAC says it all, barely even seems bothered by the whole thing. Also, the plot being furthered by a damn Parrot... really.

Yeah I do wonder about the taking-Bebe-skiing thing. At this point in the story he knows that the Russians are on to both him and Melina and know their identities (Melina has been sent a telegram in his name), and he has a main suspect who is Columbo. So what's he doing hanging around in Cortina?! Looking for Locque? Well... he's not, is he? :D

I'm pretty sure he's a Russian double agent :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I was curious as to if there's a missing line. As this was one of the first of the Bonds I saw numerous times when it was still new, I memorized most of the dialogue and when Bond and Lisl are on the beach, when Loque and Claus appear, I thought Bond asked "Friends of yours?" or did that come from another Moore film?
    Great review @BT3366. About the missing line, I don't recall it from seeing it in the theater but it's surprising how often the line comes up. In the opening of LTK, Bond says "Friends of yours?" and Leiter says "My partners at the DEA". AVTAK, the horse chase, Bond sees Zorin's henchmen, says, "Friends of yours?" and Zorin says "Exercise boys". QoS, Camille, about the guy on the motorcycle, "Friend of yours?"...Bond..."I don’t have any friends". And in TB, while Bond and Domino are having lunch, he spots her shadow, says "Friend of yours?" She says "Works for my guardian". Only thing I saw about a line being cut was on this site's FYEO page that says "A line of dialogue was cut just before filming which would have clearly identified the pre-credits sequence villain as Blofeld, commenting that his torture of Bond was a tenth anniversary celebration since their last meeting ("Diamonds Are Forever" in 1971)". I plan to watch FYEO, maybe this week.

Haha! That's marvellous :D A Bond catchphrase I never knew he had!

When I was watching FYEO the other day I did smile at a Roger catchphrase I didn't realise he had: Roger's characters are always looking for "information"- when he meets Kristatos at the ice rink:
    "Well, gentlemen, how can I help you?"
    "We'd like some information."

:D
    mtm, how right you are! I just started watching TSWLM, and that's also what he says to Sheikh Hosein.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    He also says it to Corinne in MR.
    mtm wrote: »

Haha! That's marvellous :D A Bond catchphrase I never knew he had!

When I was watching FYEO the other day I did smile at a Roger catchphrase I didn't realise he had: Roger's characters are always looking for "information"- when he meets Kristatos at the ice rink:
    "Well, gentlemen, how can I help you?"
    "We'd like some information."

:D

I am in awe of your memory as well, Thanos. I'm a fellow reporter also, although my memory isn't nearly what it was.

As for "information," that is another Moore era hallmark. I can think off the top of my head in LALD at the Fillet of Soul in Harlem "I'd like something on the side as well: information." To Sheik Hussein in TSWLM" Hussein: "Would you like dates, vodka martini?" Bond: "Information." GoldenGun mentioned to Corinne in MR; not sure about OP or AVTAK.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And Man with the Golden Gun to Goodnight as he enters the Peninsula:

"-Where are you going?

- l need some information"

And Live and Let Die:

"- No ice. - That's extra, man.

-I'd like something on the side as well. Information."

"There's no need to be frightened. You'll soon be rid of him, I promise. I promise.
    I just need a little bit of information, that's all."

"-There are two ways to disable a crocodile, you know.

- I... don't suppose you'd care to share that information with me?"

RogerBond: always information hungry! :D
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 17,297
    As for "information," that is another Moore era hallmark. I can think off the top of my head in LALD at the Fillet of Soul in Harlem "I'd like something on the side as well: information." To Sheik Hussein in TSWLM" Hussein: "Would you like dates, vodka martini?" Bond: "Information." GoldenGun mentioned to Corinne in MR; not sure about OP or AVTAK.

From AVTAK:

"The Sûreté has no information on Zorin before he came over from East Germany?"
    I usually don't go for the game section here, but this is kinda' fun.
    Another thing I neglected to put in my previous notes was the red Lotus Bond drives in Cortina is one of the few cases Bond probably pleased Q by bringing his equipment back intact after being in the field.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another thing I neglected to put in my previous notes was the red Lotus Bond drives in Cortina is one of the few cases Bond probably pleased Q by bringing his equipment back intact after being in the field.

Although it is covered in Ferrara's blood, and he presumably just leaves it in Italy :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2020 Posts: 45,489

That line made it to the Marvel comic adaptation.
    STLCards3 wrote: »

Yup. And he turns down the sexual advances of a much younger female. It was obviously the right thing to do, but telling her he would buy her an ice cream pushes the idea of Bond-as-paternal. Even the rendezvous with Cassandra Harris looks like two old retired people on a Florida beach.

Moore is at his least sexual Bond here. And it a stark contrast with what came before and after. That said, I really enjoyed his performance overall.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Just watching For Your Eyes Only now as it's on TV. It's definitely my favourite Moore entry, followed closely by Moonraker.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I popped it in last night. It's not my favorite but there were some great elements in it. It is very difficult to get over that atrocious music
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Moore is at his least sexual Bond here. And it a stark contrast with what came before and after. That said, I really enjoyed his performance overall.

A large part of the problem is no chemistry with Melina. And I believe Bouquet said, "He reminds me of my father."
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    When I think of FYEO being kind of drab and boring, my mind immediately goes to Bond mountain climbing. Though I appreciate the actual stunts, it's not very suspenseful. Doesn't help that it just looks like Roger Moore is dangling in a soundstage whether it's rear projection or just a fake background plate.
    echo wrote: »

A large part of the problem is no chemistry with Melina. And I believe Bouquet said, "He reminds me of my father."

The final scene where Bouquet derobes comes across kinda gross and creepy. This is when people should have known Moore needed to be replaced. Maybe somebody with foresight placed Moore with Adams in the next film - somebody who was looking about as old as him.
    One of the best Bond films. Absolutely not boring.

It worked much better in OP, where the leading lady was much closer to his own age. The romance with Melina seems to have come as an afterthought.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2020 Posts: 6,791

It worked much better in OP, where the leading lady was much closer to his own age. The romance with Melina seems to have come as an afterthought.

Even though Melina is a stronger character, and is portrayed by a much better actress, she does share that weird chemistry with Bond where the romance is only there in the final scene with Stacey.

I'm glad in OP that's done much better. I would even say that his romance with Octopussy is Rog's most convincing one.
    When I think of FYEO being kind of drab and boring, my mind immediately goes to Bond mountain climbing. Though I appreciate the actual stunts, it's not very suspenseful. Doesn't help that it just looks like Roger Moore is dangling in a soundstage whether it's rear projection or just a fake background plate.

Agreed - a drab palette, especially considering the locations.

My second quibble is that FYEO suffers from what I consider the main 'sin' of the Moore era: a refusal on EON's part to leave anything on the cutting room floor.

Listen: in the midst of a 'serious, gritty' Bond film, you can either have a wheelchair-bound slapstick Blofeld dropped down a chimney chute, or you can have a Thatcher impersonator getting propositioned by a talking bird. But you can't have both.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,985
    I think more boring Moore films are LALD (the muddled middle--didn't Cubby once say "Bond should only travel to each location once"? LALD violates that) and especially TMWTGG (throughout).

I'm not a big fan of MR, but the film is never boring.
    On my recent viewing, I did notice a lot of the shots that were done in studio as there was a definite change in the lighting of those shots. It wasn't too distracting, just things such as placing a piton into the rock and occasional shots of Moore along with some outdoors too.

It worked fine as I recognize that back 40 years ago when this was filmed they never anticipated home video that would expose such practices. I still think something like GE's Bond freefall into the plane thing looks worse and it was done nearly 15 years later. We won't mention CGI.