Odd One Out

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 15,003
    Ah brilliant, thank you!

Okay, here's one. I'll have to go with more than three if that's okay- what happens in these films, and only these films? (I hope I'm right about that!) And which is the odd one out?

OHMSS
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    For Your Eyes Only
    No Time To Die
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond is on a beach in each.

TMWTGG: he's on a beach with the main villain.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 15,003
    It's good but it's not what I'm after and I'm sure he's on beaches in a few other films; it's not anything to do with locations.
    As I say, I think this only happens in these four films.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    All films feature a car on it's roof. NTTD is the only one where Bond slams it down on the baddie?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's nothing to do with cars or vehicles I'm afraid; perhaps it's slightly more on the production side.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    OHMSS, FYEO, NTTD all directorial debuts of that Director. TMWTGG it was the last movie directed by that director. OOO is TMWTGG
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s good, but I’m looking for something they all have in common. It’s something observable when you watch the movies in question.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I don't have a guess yet, I'm thinking about it, but could I suggest that four films be the way forward for the game? With three films and one OOO, there are hundreds of possibilities. With four options, it seems more reasonable by an order of magnitude....
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,694
    Is it that these four films contain bits of previous theme songs, but only in FYEO is it not the actual music, but a keypad cover version? Or that only OHMSS has multiple theme tunes?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bingo! Well done! It's FYEO I was thinking of, in that it's the only one where the old movie themes don't appear on the score but only in Bond's world where he can actually hear them (there's the caretaker in OHMSS too, but as you say it also contains lots of other themes playing in the sequence in Bond's office).

Arguably QoS could also count too as Another Way To Die contains a phrase from OHMSS, and then of course you have the issue of whether the James Bond Theme is the theme from Dr No or not, but let's not get into that :D

Over to you.
    mtm wrote: »
    Bingo! Well done! It's FYEO I was thinking of, in that it's the only one where the old movie themes don't appear on the score but only in Bond's world where he can actually hear them (there's the caretaker in OHMSS too, but as you say it also contains lots of other themes playing in the sequence in Bond's office).

Over to you.

Cool! That was a good one! (And not only because I got it)

Mine relates to title sequences, and I'm also going to have four options.

From Russia with Love
    Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The Spy Who Loved Me

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I shouldn't guess straight away, but is it perhaps they all have flags of countries in, and FRWL is the only one it's not the Union Jack? (Can't actually remember one in GF's sequence but it's worth a punt :) )
    I shouldn't guess straight away, but is it perhaps they all have flags of countries in, and FRWL is the only one it's not the Union Jack? (Can't actually remember one in GF's sequence but it's worth a punt :) )

Afraid that's not it. I should say that as far as I know, these four title sequences don't have much in common beyond what all of the title sequences have in common--I could have had a list of 21-22 movies if i wanted... It's more about the difference.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I’d say FRWL is the OOO as Bond doesn’t make any appearance in its title sequence.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,399

Arguably QoS could also count too as Another Way To Die contains a phrase from OHMSS, and then of course you have the issue of whether the James Bond Theme is the theme from Dr No or not, but let's not get into that :D

Over to you.

Which old song is playing in TMWTGG? Sorry can't remember right now.

Over to you.

Live and Let Die, when we see Pepper.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    I’d say FRWL is the OOO as Bond doesn’t make any appearance in its title sequence.

Not it. Again, I could have had most of the movies on this list.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,024

Over to you.

A very short cue from LALD plays when Pepper sees Bond cruising the klong.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Ah, I forgot about the LALD bit, despite watching TMWTGG recently. Good one!
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited September 2022 Posts: 652

Mine relates to title sequences, and I'm also going to have four options.

From Russia with Love
    Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The Spy Who Loved Me

All four title sequences focus on women but GF is OOO because the golden girl is dead?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2022 Posts: 3,393
    Goldfinger is the OOO, because it's the only title sequence that has relation to the villain or the plot?

Those three title sequence had no relation to plot or a character, it's just a title sequence creatively made with no relation to their respecfive stories or plots.
    Perhaps TSWLM is OOO as its PTS segues directly into the title sequence.
    It's to do with the credits themselves, and not the music or imagery.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    OHMSS is the only one not to have the producers' name before the title appears (they're in the gunbarrel).
    And I guess Spy is the only one to mention 'Ian Fleming's James Bond 007' as a credit; the rest have Fleming's name over the title.
    I could have done this better, probably. :))

Think about the appearance of the credits, and not about anything that might be missing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Spy is in Helvetica Neue, the rest are News Gothic?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,024
    FRWL is OOO as the credits ‘move’ on the dancer’s belly and arms, whereas they are static in the others.
    I’ve actually thought about this but it seemed like a long stretch.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GF credit text is all in large caps.
    QBranch wrote: »

Not what I'm looking for, and FRWL has the same, but ridiculously close.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

OHMSS title text is in small caps.

OHMSS title text is in small caps.

That's it.

I just find it interesting. Apart from the "r" in Dr No, only TND and TWINE have lowercase letters in the title of the movie, because they use the poster logos that have them.

So that was my boring, technical one. Over to you, QBranch!