Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    Gosh, I hope it's nothing bad! :)

Maybe Michael and Barbara got married?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While I place no credibility in the “ source “ above. We could get much worse than a Nolan/Turner Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,491
    @talos7 ... After Tenet, I'm concerned that Nolan needs people around him (perhaps his brother who is a legit screenwriter (as is his wife)), to temper his "big ideas", and assist in developing them into a cohesive story.

Tenet felt like a half baked concept and I wonder if the suits had courage to tell him to go back to work on more drafts.

2008, I was all in on Nolan directing Bond.

Now? Gulp.

@mtm, pls check your DMs.

@Thunderfinger -- you have great timing, 😂
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Something interesting happened at EON? Hmm. :-? Could it be that, like Bronson in 1986 and 1994, Cavil having already auditioned back in 2005, has now been handed the role?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Something interesting happened at EON? Hmm. :-? Could it be that, like Bronson in 1986 and 1994, Cavil having already auditioned back in 2005, has now been handed the role?

If that happened @MajorDSmythe , I wouldn't know. My bet (and that's all it is, with a healthy amount of hope), is that Cavill doesn't get the Bond role.

(I really don't have a strong opinion of who should be the next guy; I only know those who I WOULDN'T want to get the role! I do trust EoN, and to date think they have largely got the casting of 007 bang-on the money. I've said before that Brozz wasn't my personal favorite, but he was definitely the right man for the job at that time (as was Connery, Moore and Craig... Lazenby and Dalton weren't as successful, but, especially after Moore's last one (a film I enjoyed), there needed to be a more grounded approach, and that's where Dalton's strengths lay...)
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    Brosnan reportedly cannot watch himself as Bond. I think he was more than terrific and his performances are in hindsight severely underrated.

I personally don't like any of the aged bonds. They should have casted every new actor earlier.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Danny Boyle's suggestions for Bond would be Robert Pattinson and Paapa Essiedu:

gangs-of-london-paapa-essiedu-895x570.jpg

peter wrote: »
    @talos7 ... After Tenet, I'm concerned that Nolan needs people around him (perhaps his brother who is a legit screenwriter (as is his wife)), to temper his "big ideas", and assist in developing them into a cohesive story.

Tenet felt like a half baked concept and I wonder if the suits had courage to tell him to go back to work on more drafts.

2008, I was all in on Nolan directing Bond.

Now? Gulp.

@mtm, pls check your DMs.

@Thunderfinger -- you have great timing, 😂

@peter I can understand the trepidation, but every director has produced a stinker or two. While I have liked most of his films, I’m not a Nolan fanboy; he is a tremendously talented filmmaker who may have gained some humility after the experience of Tenet.
    I have a feeling if he were to direct Bond that he would bring his A game.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Danny Boyle's suggestions for Bond would be Robert Pattinson and Paapa Essiedu:

gangs-of-london-paapa-essiedu-895x570.jpg

Man I'm glad he got axed. Pattinson is still a sh-te actor, even though it's hip and trendy nowadays to claim otherwise.

I found Tenet a p-ss poor movie, so there we do agree somewhat, Peter. Turner will take over, Peter, mark these words. Remember them. That is all.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    His Batman trilogy was way too cheesy. I actually think Tenet would have been better as a Bond film. Imagine if that was Craigs last outing instead of NTTD.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 12,837
    @peter Any chance of a PM for me? Sounds interesting, and it’d be nice to hear a rumour from someone who actually works in the industry.
    007HallY wrote: »
    @FoxRox To be fair in order for Bond to truly be an anti-hero more along the lines of Fleming's original character, the films themselves have to make the effort. The truth is the Bond films have tended to glorify Bond's flaws. Even Fleming had issues with Bond killing Professor Dent in cold blood in DN, and it's the sort of thing we see in TSWLM, FYEO and even NTTD. Bond in the novels was always much more conflicted about assassination and killing. It's a very human idea and having a scene similar to the opening of the GF novel would be interesting to see incorporated. Hell, look at Bond's womanising. In the novels Bond's relationships with women aren't as simple as 'women are all attracted to him'. Bond in CR was so arrogant and sexist even the writing gives off a distinct 'this man is a cad' vibe. After Vesper he tended to fall in love rather easily and had this odd attraction to women who were damaged in some way (what are the phrases used in the novels? "Birds with one wing broken' and Bond having a 'St. George Complex"?) Why not have a Bond film which points this out?

Then you'll have people complaining that Bond is too broody, too dark, too negative, too toxic, or whatever. I would rather have what you describe than a return to Moore or Brosnan, personally, but there you go.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Something very interesting happened at EoN in the last couple weeks. So interesting it blew my mind. I showed a couple of trusted members here what this latest development was.

ShabbyImpassionedBull-max-1mb.gif

Dalton to finally get his third film
    First rule of mass media, give the people what they want!! 🙏
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,491
    @talos7 i hear you and I agree wholeheartedly about directors pitching a turd or two.

My problem with Nolan is definitely mine; I despised Tenet and found it so painful to watch it was the first film I genuinely wanted to walk out of. It was so flagrantly rushed from page to camera, it had me wondering if this guy knew the most simplest rules to film story telling. I had seen somewhat large bullseyes in his other films, but I ignored them, because, more or less, I was enjoying the film as a whole.

But the problems I saw sprinkled in his other films became the entire film that was Tenet. To me, it wasn’t a bad film. It was disastrous from the opening scene (just plopping us into the opera house scene was disorienting), to the final scene.

If he were to do Bond, I’d want Scott Burns at the ready to design organic set pieces and PWB to work on character, as well as a few other doctors at the ready.

For the most part, visually I have no problem with Nolan’s work— except he needs a good editor to keep his scenes moving forward.

If I was Eon and I hired him, it’d be under conditions that he doesn’t get final say on the script and will have to work with a writing team, and; he needs to allow the editor the space to make sure the pacing of the film is up to a Bond film’s standards.

Being as long-winded as I am today, I have to admit that nailing Nolan, from a commercial perspective, would make news and create buzz and conversations. It’d just be a helluva lot of work to manage the man himself (no doubt he’s got a great mind and imagination… but like a wild horse, he needs someone to break him, 😂).

@JeremyBondon , I think you haven’t quite read me correctly. I honestly don’t care if people agree or disagree with anything I say. I’ve actually learned from people with a different perspective than mine and I know my opinion is just that: mine. And I also am aware that, in the big picture of Eon and James Bond, my opinion has no relevancy. So whether someone agrees or disagrees with me is moot. But disagreements can be had with passion and respect as well.

Re: Turner: I have no idea if he will be Bond. Your guess is as good as anyones on this site. But that’s all it is: a guess.

And you may be right.
    But you may definitely be wrong.

And I suppose my gentleman’s challenge to you has been declined. If not, I do look forward to what the “source” has to say!

EDIT: @thelivingroyale: sent you a brief DM
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,941
    Your challenge will be ignored, I have no doubt of that whatsoever. What makes sense and is gentlemanly will be ignored.

On the subject of Nolan my issue with him going near Bond is that he has shown almost zero sense of fun; I know it's possible to point to a joke here and there in his films, but that's not the same as fun, and I want my Bond films to feel enjoyable. CR did, the Mendes films did, but I've never got that sensation from a Nolan.
    And most certainly not Tenet, I agree there. I was so bored by it I gave up trying to understand what was happening at the end- I simply didn't care.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Your challenge will be ignored, I have no doubt of that whatsoever. What makes sense and is gentlemanly will be ignored.

On the subject of Nolan my issue with him going near Bond is that he has shown almost zero sense of fun; I know it's possible to point to a joke here and there in his films, but that's not the same as fun, and I want my Bond films to feel enjoyable. CR did, the Mendes films did, but I've never got that sensation from a Nolan.
    And most certainly not Tenet, I agree there. I was so bored by it I gave up trying to understand what was happening at the end- I simply didn't care.

I do agree with this. Nolan’s films certainly fail on the fun-factor— Tenet being the guiltiest of them all. Ugh. What a bad memory!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Tenet is much better the second time around. Which is not to say I want him as a Bond director.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Totally agree on Nolan, I would have been more excited about him being announced as a Bond director before 2012. He'd definitely need his brother and someone else to add a bit of fun and flirtation to the film
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    'Deal with it'

7.gif.e87dff19ffe7a2989fb689ceb6b4d16f.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

If that happened @MajorDSmythe , I wouldn't know. My bet (and that's all it is, with a healthy amount of hope), is that Cavill doesn't get the Bond role.

(I really don't have a strong opinion of who should be the next guy; I only know those who I WOULDN'T want to get the role! I do trust EoN, and to date think they have largely got the casting of 007 bang-on the money. I've said before that Brozz wasn't my personal favorite, but he was definitely the right man for the job at that time (as was Connery, Moore and Craig... Lazenby and Dalton weren't as successful, but, especially after Moore's last one (a film I enjoyed), there needed to be a more grounded approach, and that's where Dalton's strengths lay...)

But it's definitely possibly casting? I won't push, as I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble. As much as I would want them to have already greased the wheels of Bond#26, I would be surprised if there were any traction this year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @MajorDSmythe it’s not about casting (the last I heard on this front, BEFORE BB spoke at Macbeth, was that nothing has happened on this front. However, it’s my belief, and this is just me speculating, they have to be having internal discussions. Making lists. Getting their casting people to bring them tapes to watch. Just my speculation, but my gut feels, and I said this before, once the red carpet for Macbeth was over, they’d start their search in earnest. Simultaneously they will be talking to scriptwriters and plotting where they go next… I do believe the screenwriters and possibly the director will be announced first. I’ve been told the big search won’t really get under way until a working script is ready. So keep eyes on news about this (and shortly thereafter the competition between front runners (the real ones), will heat up).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, it's how it worked last time: they figured out where they were going with it and had a director and something of a script before they got their Bond. And of course Craig wouldn't sign on without seeing the script.
    As you say, I'm sure there are lists of possible candidates, plus I would imagine agents have been pushing their clients on them for a while now; but it seems like the proper business won't start until they have everything a bit more sorted- they also seemed to like to get the director involved in the casting too.

And yet weirdly they still haven't incorporated a company for the new film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @talos7 i hear you and I agree wholeheartedly about directors pitching a turd or two.

My problem with Nolan is definitely mine; I despised Tenet and found it so painful to watch it was the first film I genuinely wanted to walk out of. It was so flagrantly rushed from page to camera, it had me wondering if this guy knew the most simplest rules to film story telling. I had seen somewhat large bullseyes in his other films, but I ignored them, because, more or less, I was enjoying the film as a whole.

But the problems I saw sprinkled in his other films became the entire film that was Tenet. To me, it wasn’t a bad film. It was disastrous from the opening scene (just plopping us into the opera house scene was disorienting), to the final scene.

If he were to do Bond, I’d want Scott Burns at the ready to design organic set pieces and PWB to work on character, as well as a few other doctors at the ready.

For the most part, visually I have no problem with Nolan’s work— except he needs a good editor to keep his scenes moving forward.

If I was Eon and I hired him, it’d be under conditions that he doesn’t get final say on the script and will have to work with a writing team, and; he needs to allow the editor the space to make sure the pacing of the film is up to a Bond film’s standards.

Being as long-winded as I am today, I have to admit that nailing Nolan, from a commercial perspective, would make news and create buzz and conversations. It’d just be a helluva lot of work to manage the man himself (no doubt he’s got a great mind and imagination… but like a wild horse, he needs someone to break him, 😂).

@JeremyBondon , I think you haven’t quite read me correctly. I honestly don’t care if people agree or disagree with anything I say. I’ve actually learned from people with a different perspective than mine and I know my opinion is just that: mine. And I also am aware that, in the big picture of Eon and James Bond, my opinion has no relevancy. So whether someone agrees or disagrees with me is moot. But disagreements can be had with passion and respect as well.

Re: Turner: I have no idea if he will be Bond. Your guess is as good as anyones on this site. But that’s all it is: a guess.

And you may be right.
    But you may definitely be wrong.

And I suppose my gentleman’s challenge to you has been declined. If not, I do look forward to what the “source” has to say!

EDIT: @thelivingroyale: sent you a brief DM

Now I'm curious what this DM business entails. Color me intrigued.
    Beyond the tabloids a few years back I know very little about Joshua Sasse; he definitely has a Connery look and a good voice. He comes off as very personable in this interview. At this point if there were a wall covered with the names snd photos of candidates, I would have him on it.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Whoa— check that man’s DNA…
    Will do.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wow, he is super posh isn't he. He does have a great look but I can't find any clips of him acting, just Kylie gossip stuff. That interview seems to be from 9 years ago.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Slight Spoilers for Better Call Saul

Tony Dalton is slightly too old, moustachioed and Mexican but in every other respect he exudes James Bond energy that I'd hope the next actor has. As Lalo he's able to be charming while at the same time showing that coldness behind the eyes of Fleming's Bond. I've not listened to the companion podcast yet but I'd be interested to know hoe much they intentionally leaned into that because in the latest episode they have him snooping about with a silenced pistol and ordering a martini, I mean come on 😂
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I can't believe we're back on chins and jaws again lol.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I can't believe we're back on chins and jaws again lol.

6fplvu.jpg