Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,931
    007HallY wrote: »
    My only issue going from Gangs of London is perhaps his take on the role might be a wee bit too similar to Craig's. Personally I think we need a slightly different approach to the role, whatever it may be.

Yes that's a fair point. It's why I thought -even if he'd do it which I don't think he would- Tom Hardy wouldn't have worked.
    007HallY wrote: »
    While I get it's controversial I do sometimes get the sense that skin colour is just another layer to the whole 'Bond should look like x' debate which isn't always applicable in practice. Anyone can look like Henry Cavill but very few are necessarily good fits for Bond. I've always said it but in order to get a sense of whether an actor can potentially play Bond or not you need to watch their prior work and find roles which have elements of Bond in there. To be fair Sope Diriscu, for me anyway, does have that Bond 'spark'. Far more than Henry Cavill and Aidan Turner certainly. His acting/screen presence reminds me of Idris Elba's. He's one of the only plausible non-white candidates. Get him to put on a more Southern English accent and give him an audition, certainly.

My only issue going from Gangs of London is perhaps his take on the role might be a wee bit too similar to Craig's. Personally I think we need a slightly different approach to the role, whatever it may be. I don't think a non-white actor would inherently bring something new to the role. That said no one can know that for sure until he actually plays the part.

One thing he shares with Craig is he hardly has any chin. Not a good start.

Yes we don't want anyone with tiny chins.

image-w856.jpg?size=800x
    :))
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I want to just comment about the the point of how Fleming’s Bond’s attitudes don’t work in the modern world. One of the biggest things that annoys me about audiences / the media is that with Bond’s character, and to a broader extent any “controversial” protagonists in movies, they automatically go under the assumption the filmmakers are promoting and encouraging everything Bond does. I don’t understand why people act like any given element in a film is a endorsement or condemnation of behavior or other things. Like, art is all about subjectivity and interpretation. The filmmakers just present everything to us on a screen. YOU’RE the ones deciding if you’re pleased or displeased with the way characters behave, not the creators.

Yes, and I'd say that's how the films have been going along in the last few years. He's done some dickish things, he's actually been allowed to mess up more than ever, and yet he's still been the hero.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 1,661
    Take with the usual pinch of salt...

If you don't want to indulge his content, he claims:

Bond 26 scheduled for 2023 release or 2024.

Aidan Turner the number one choice by Eon and Amazon. Henry Cavill second choice.

Christopher Nolan the number one choice to write/direct.

Must admit whenever I hear someone say "my insider source said..." it feels like click bait content but Christopher Nolan seems a realistic choice to direct. And as the chap mentions, Turner is starring in Amazon's Leonardo tv show so it makes sense why Amazon might try to encourage Eon to cast him.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That does sound massively made up.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,871
    Sounds rubbish, but even if EON had these ideas at the moment it doesn't mean they will actually happen. Maybe Turner auditions and it turns out he's actually really uninspiring in the part and it'd be a disaster casting him. Maybe Nolan's busy or insists on more creative control than they're willing to give him...

Anyway, who is this 'source'? A rogue assistant at EON? The Janitor? Christopher Nolan perhaps? Most likely some random person on the internet.
    Even if they did a period piece (unlikely), there’d be absolutely no chance of that Bond resembling Fleming’s Bond or Connery’s Bond. Because it’s 2022 and attitudes and what most people look for in a hero, even an antihero, has changed. Bond will move with the times like he always has. That might be terrifying to people who think “the world’s gone mad!!!”, but I don’t see the point in setting yourselves up for disappointment.
    Fact remains, changing Bond's colour, especially in this day and age would mean bowing down to the pander brigade. A lot of people have had enough, no matter how you spin it, 'progressive' nonsense more like. No one owes anyone anything regarding race. That is what they want to make you believe, this forced sense of guilt.

In fact, never too late to introduce a cool black character. Nomi, anyone? Even though opinions vary. Heck, go ahead and introduce a black 00. CREATE instead of hijack.

Nah, not good enough, I hope they hijack Bond instead.

You are one of them. That was established a long time ago. Carry on.

Funny thing is mate, I’m really not. I’d class myself as progressive, but I actually enjoy laughing at the sort of studenty blue hair types who think that the next Bond MUST be black, because another white guy (most of my suggestions in this thread) would be racist beyond belief. But I also enjoy laughing at the incoherent ramblings of old white men, who get so tragically threatened by being reminded that people as dark as me exist. You think you’re speaking up for the “silent majority” but you’re just as out of touch as the other side in this meaningless “culture war”, which isn’t a battle for the future of society or anything like that. It’s just an irrelevant screaming match between different types of terminally online, both as easily baited as eachother (the twitter lot and the daily mail lot). It’s hilarious.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    In some pictures Aidan looks more Bondian than all the previous actors.

efa276cc136f1e0c005158c2d8f8f821.jpg

128203385_o.jpg

But he needs the long hair or the beard, or a better barber and stylist. I'll do it for payments in belly rubs. Come rub my belly Aidan.

aidan-turner-759.jpg

Maybe his face is less tiny now that he has added some weight. His eyes/eyebrows are instantly recognisable. I think the actor needs to look unique and not generic.

Guys, some big news, I've just been contacted by an anonymous source who works at EON. They messaged me out of the blue and claimed they had some updates on the casting of Bond 26.

Apparently Aidan Turner is a done deal, but the Producers are worried about his lack of chin. Discussions between his agent and BB/MGW are ongoing, however they are considering creating a prosthetic chin for him in the same vein as Connery's hairpiece.

CGI was attempted, but unfortunately the greatest minds in modern Special Effects could not convincingly render him with a significant chin and his head just ended up looking like a square. Once these details have been ironed out he will be announced next week.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    His face is too pursed.
    He’s a fine small screen performer. Not sure he can fill a big screen, carry a franchise on his shoulders and make his run the success EoN has been accustomed to (especially during the past 15 years).
    Maybe he can, but I haven’t seen anything he’s in that convinces me he’s nothing more than a tv lead and, at best, a supporting player in large films.
    I’d be happy to be proved wrong, coz all I care about is a good film with a believable lead that excites me. If AT ends up doing that, great.

Saying that, Sope looks like he could choke out AT with a glare alone, grab a martini off of a waiter’s tray, and swagger out of the place with the most beautiful woman on his arm.
    Good directors should be able to bring out star quality in any actor. It's not hard to make almost anyone Bond in the right light, angles, lenses, hairstyles, clothes, locations, with the right supporting actors/actresses, dialogue and acting directions.

• peterpeter Toronto
    If I directed, I would be able to bring out the star quality in any actor. It's not hard to make anyone Bond in the right light, angels, hairstyle, clothes, locations, with the right supporting actors/actresses, dialogue, acting directions.

You’re a director?

And star quality is innate. You have it. Or you don’t. IMO star prowess can’t be taught.

As a director you may be able to make them look good. But lighting and angles will never shine charisma and star quality onto an actor. It comes from within, and not from “movie magic”.

The actor has it.

Or doesn’t.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2022 Posts: 7,962
    Turner is very high on my list; I have little doubt that he’ll be a great successor to Clive Owen as Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Turner is very high on my list; I have little doubt that he’ll be a great successor to Clive Owen as Bond.

😂
    peter wrote: »
    If I directed, I would be able to bring out the star quality in any actor. It's not hard to make anyone Bond in the right light, angels, hairstyle, clothes, locations, with the right supporting actors/actresses, dialogue, acting directions.

You’re a director?

As a director you may be able to make them look good. But lighting and angles will never shine charisma and star quality onto an actor. It comes from within, and not from “movie magic”.

Not a professional one. I studied filmmaking and made a few shorts/developed a few concepts and storylines, but was ultimately deterred when I, unlike my peers, couldn't get ahold of funding from traditional instances and had ideas stolen from my pitches. Add to it some personal problems over the last year and I am now sitting here scratching my creative itch with you guys.

Innate star quality like Brad Pitt, Samuel L. Jackson or Al Pacino, perhaps not. But anyone who's even shown glimpses, could be focused to bring out the same with good writing, a coach and a mirror/monitor. I think unique looks, poise and not taking yourself too seriously are all good to begin with.

Personality wise, in press interviews etc, Craig became increasingly timid as time progressed, in comparison to Brosnan who always was overly confident. Connery and Dalton were plain dull. Lazenby still overcompensates for his terrible outing. And Roger was just great. Would be fun if the new actor at least was capable of cracking jokes.

I miss the days when funny wasn't frowned upon.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,318
    At least Turner has a good chin unlike Nope.

tumblr_pmuz8rSHiy1s95dj0_540.gif

I'm not surprised at all by the new rumours. Amazon has its eyes set on Turner for many obvious reasons. Also, not the least surprised some black members on here are advocating for black Bond. Quite sure the stocky unattractive types were fond of Craig's casting back in the day. Bond shouldn't be a vehicle for some 'progressive emancipated' woke ideas regarding the changing of his appearance. Bond is a white man as written by Fleming.

Aidan looks Spanish.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Amazon has its eyes set on Turner for many obvious reasons.

Wait… I’ve heard nothing from Amazon saying they have their eye on Turner.

Was there an article? Other than the Bond Geek person (who also claims Cavill is number two), where are you getting your info from??
    Also, not the least surprised some black members on here are advocating for black Bond.

Unnecessarily antagonistic and untrue. It happens that some members on this forum, of all skin colours, have included actors of varying ethnicities.

No one is advocating (other than you); most are making suggestions.
    Quite sure the stocky unattractive types were fond of Craig's casting back in the day.

What does this even mean?

This was a loaded post and feels like there is some projecting going on. You like AT. He may get it.

Likely he won’t, then what?
    Aidan looks Spanish.

Have you heard of dark Irish? Nice history lesson for you. Hint: Pierce Brosnan. Dalton has similar features as well.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ToyMRsO.jpg
    Aidan looks Spanish.

Have you heard of dark Irish? Nice history lesson for you. Hint: Pierce Brosnan. Dalton has similar features as well.

Sounds similar to Black British people to me.

If it's dark hair you are going for Bond could be Armenian. Is EON looking for candidates in Armenia?
    Amazon has its eyes set on Turner for many obvious reasons.

Wait… I’ve heard nothing from Amazon saying they have their eye on Turner.

Was there an article? Other than the Bond Geek person (who also claims Cavill is number two), where are you getting your info from??
    Also, not the least surprised some black members on here are advocating for black Bond.

Unnecessarily antagonistic and untrue. It happens that some members on this forum, of all skin colours, have included actors of varying ethnicities.

No one is advocating (other than you); most are making suggestions.
    Quite sure the stocky unattractive types were fond of Craig's casting back in the day.

What does this even mean?

This was a loaded post and feels like there is some projecting going on. You like AT. He may get it.

Likely he won’t, then what?

Ha. Peter being salty as he isn't the only one with scoops. Oh joy. I cannot wait for the day Aidan Turner is announced as the new Bond, so I can tell you lot I told you about a thousand pages ago. Oh well.
    Aidan looks Spanish.

Sounds similar to Black British people to me.

If it's dark hair you are going for Bond could be Armenian. Is EON looking for candidates in Armenia?

Stop trolling, buddy
    He would be a great choice, but to insist he would be the only good choice is a joke.

Idris Elba would have been a better one, even if he won't end up being chosen/accepting due to age.
    He would be a great choice, but to insist he would be the only good choice is a joke.

Idris Elba would have been a better one, even if he won't end up being chosen/accepting due to age.

Turner is the choice that makes actual sense as he is Bond potential defined. Elba? Get real mate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Don't worry, I was only joking dear. I think he looks very dishy too.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon ...you don't have a scoop. You listen to YouTube "influencers", and whichever one feeds your narrative, you quote.

That's all.

You were being unnecessarily antagonistic and, as I said, untrue.

You're the only one who is militantly advocating for one actor.

The other posters, whether dark skin, or light have made many suggestions and I haven't seen any advocating for a black actor. You're projecting.

Calling out what is plainly in your post isn't being salty, lol.
    talos7 wrote: »

😂

Haha. But yeah, Turner reminds me a lot of Clive Owen. If you were to see a photo of either actor the idea of casting them as Bond would make perfect sense. But when you see them actually onscreen in similar roles (at least when I do anyway) it just doesn't feel right. Like they're doing parodies of Bond or something. It's odd.
    mtm wrote: »

Strangely enough I wasn't addressing you :)

@peter You are so sensitive even a
    fart is antagonistic to you. Also, I don't have the scoop, albeit a believable rumour, another individual has it. Also, I have mentioned other names as well, but none of them come close to Turner. I advise less salt on your taters.
    I would still pick Aidan Turner over his large chinned twin Aiden Turner

640px-Aiden_Turner.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,931
    mtm wrote: »

Strangely enough I wasn't addressing you :)

That's odd, you were replying to the joke I made. Maybe you didn't realise.
    But I stress: only a joke, he does have a slightly rodenty look but that doesn't make him look any less smashing. No need to be sensitive about these things.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You're charming, @JeremyBondon , so I pose a gentleman's challenge to you:

Something very interesting happened at EoN in the last couple weeks. So interesting it blew my mind. I showed a couple of trusted members here what this latest development was.

So here's your challenge:

The person that has this "believable" rumour of yours, should be very aware of what I'm talking about. Let's see how credible this person is (and you for pushing this "believable" rumour).

Please DM the answer.

But I fear that your source is a squirrel with no believable information at all, and he (you), won't have a clue what this is about.

If he (you) can't DM with the simple answer, I'd say you lost credibility and; as the winner of this challenge, I'd ask you to come back here with graciousness, humility, less projections of your own insecurities, less hostility and admit subjectivity and guesses-- as we all (try to) do.

In the end Jeremy, if one knows that EoN and Amazon "want" AT, then this person will also know exactly what I'm talking about.

If you actually have an individual in your life that "knows" these two companies "want" AT, and responds with the one and only correct answer, I will be your personal cheerleader on these boards for the next month 😂.

(Just to be clear, AT is not a bad actor; I've nothing against his work. I have always found him to be a predictable performer-- nothing great, nothing particularly bad. Just efficient and nothing special).

I look forward to hearing from you in my DMs.

Best!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gosh, I hope it's nothing bad! :)