Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Could be. I think I've seen this guy or another one from the same bunch of auditions before: it is notable that some guys just don't have *it*.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, some people do find things they don't understand funny. It's a way of coping, I guess.

You on the other hand are very easy to analyse and understand.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Can you two of quit your pissing contest?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I would be ok with A. Turner as Bond. Even though The Hobbit was a decade ago, and And Then There Were None was seven years ago. His body shape is similar to Craig's here... Not sure if that's good or bad.
    NINTCHDBPICT000414012831.jpg
    delete duplicates online

It is interesting that Turner has noticeably bulked up, which you would expect of an actor throwing his hat into the ring for 007 these days. But of course Bond is not the only franchise part in play... I can't help think Turner looks more Wolverine than Bond, and with Marvel Studios getting the rights to the X-Men back, Wolverine might be a more likely role for AT.
    RE: I can't help think Turner looks more Wolverine than Bond, and with Marvel Studios getting the rights to the X-Men back, Wolverine might be a more likely role for AT.

It's the hair in that on-the-street picture. right ? I can see Wolverine, but I saw a younger Doc Brown -- "1.21 gigawatts !!!"

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    echo wrote: »
    This is very interesting...a New Zealand actor that they were screen-testing for DAF.

Even more interesting is the script they are using...to my ear it sounds like they initially planned to include several more references to Tracy in DAF.

Imogen Hassall was never cast in a Bond film, crazy. It’s also sad that with the fizzling out of her career, she ended up taking her own life.
  • It is interesting that Turner has noticeably bulked up, which you would expect of an actor throwing his hat into the ring for 007 these days. But of course Bond is not the only franchise part in play... I can't help think Turner looks more Wolverine than Bond, and with Marvel Studios getting the rights to the X-Men back, Wolverine might be a more likely role for AT.

I can definitely see it. What a awesome casting that would be for him. You are an asset to this forum 👍
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd quite like them to go for a really properly rough and stocky type if they do Wolverine again. I can see it with Turner, yeah, but it'd be good if they went for a proper sort of boxer type guy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I always thought Tom Hardy would have made a decent Wolverine.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So Tom Hardy topless, with claws, and a cigar in his mouth? Um yes please.

It's a shame he's Venom because he'd have been great.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So Tom Hardy topless, with claws, and a cigar in his mouth? Um yes please.

It's a shame he's Venom because he'd have been great.

I couldn't find a topless one for you @Denbigh but I did find this concept art of him by Boss Logic from a few years back. It really sells it for me!

Cvl56RGVUAAEM5V.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I can see that. Or even.. and I know it's a slightly tougher swallow... Statham..?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hardy would make a really fun henchman I think, a mix between Patrice and Hinx, with some personality.

Yeah I can see that. Or even.. and I know it's a slightly tougher swallow... Statham..?

I always quite liked Statham (and actually like him more as time goes by), so I certainly wouldn't be against that one! It would be strange to either have Statham with hair or Wolverine without it, but I'm sure it'd be fun regardless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Hardy would make a really fun henchman I think, a mix between Patrice and Hinx, with some personality.

Yeah I like that. He'd make a good fully-fledged villain I think, in fact (don't judge him by that Star Trek he was the villain in: I think he was still warming up at that point!).

I always quite liked Statham (and actually like him more as time goes by), so I certainly wouldn't be against that one! It would be strange to either have Statham with hair or Wolverine without it, but I'm sure it'd be fun regardless.

Yeah I'm not quite sure how it would have worked (I guess he's probably a bit old for Wolverine now) but he's got that brutishness which would work for it. And he genuinely conveys the feeling of a proper hardman, which I think is what Wolverine should have.
    He is shocking at the accent though! :)
    He is shocking at the accent though! :)

I think this is part of what makes him so endearing to me. He tries, God love him! :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I always think he should just Connery it out. He played a Mexican with a London accent and no one noticed: stick with it Jason!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    if EON gave me a compelling bond film where the actor just happened to be black or Asian or whatever fine

but if they hide lazy writing and story telling behind being PC yeah I am out.

Thank you for leaving room for an actor to have a chance. I'm serious, I can respect that over someone who refuses to see it at all.

I don't think any of us want to see lazy writing, nor a newly fabricated cultural background for the character on screen. It should look, sound, and play like a Bond film, no matter what, and I don't think the actor's race needs to have any impact on that. I don't think the movies should ignore what some races may experience different from a white man; I think in the espionage field, looking non-white would have its own unique advantages and disadvantages and I think the movies could play with that character element a bit.

But that is the overlap, where I kind of see the point some of the people against a POC playing Bond are making: He would have unique advantages and disadvantages, which makes him basically inherently different from every version James Bond we have previously known, doesn't it?
    But on the other hand, him being able to easier infiltrate say the camp of some warlord in Africa or an underground gambling operation in Asia or some other stereotype, would just be a Bond using his social skills and ability to blend in to achieve a mission objective, just in a slightly seperate circumstance. So maybe it could work?

At the end of the day, I think you are quite right: Nobody (here) wants to see bad writing for the sake of some other representational goal.
    I don't know if I shared this before, but I recently came across a piece by Scott Mendelson from Forbes, in which he argues that basically through casting a non-white actor all the pressure of "invigorating the series" or answering "why is Bond still relevant" is taken off the plot and the other parts of the film:
    At the risk of falling into the same “James Bond risks becoming culturally irrelevant” trap, I’m not sure the franchise can survive another era that operates as a deconstructionist, guilt-ridden self-commentary of itself. Whatever the next variation is going to be, perhaps the James Bond movies should revert to being at least somewhat fantastical and escapist. If you can make quality dead-serious horror movies after Scream and Cabin in the Woods, you can make non-winking but non-angsty 007 movies three decades after GoldenEye and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. [...]

There would be something cynical about EON and friends attempting to shield themselves from criticisms of the James Bond formula, or at least trying to give themselves an excuse to make James Bond a wish-fulfillment escapist adventure again, by casting a man or woman color in a role defined as a prototypical white male power fantasy. However, under this thinking, the need to justify the “progressive” casting would be a case of the actor doing a favor for the franchise as opposed to the franchise bestowing the role to a non-white actor “as a treat.” However good the induvial films happen to be (and I like most of them), 25 years of “Is James Bond still relevant?” and/or “Being James Bond kind of stinks!” is long enough.

Now, I don't know whether I totally buy this argument. As alluded to, saying "people want the films to change" is a bit of a strawman and what I believe many here consider the original sin, but it's an interesting thought: Going progressive in the casting allows for an overall more escapist, celebratory plot.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah I'm not sure I buy that argument about EON using a non-white actor to 'shield themselves from criticisms of the James Bond formula'. I think if there's one area where NTTD really succeeded it's in its characterisation of Bond himself: he wasn't diluted or any less Bond, but also the film didn't criticise or apologise for him. It didn't paint him as the old guy out of his time (even though he's the oldest he's probably ever appeared in an Eon film!). So I think they've shown they can still make Bond films without doing the 'is he relevant' stuff.
    I also don't think any casting like that would need to be 'justified', as he says; beyond just getting someone really good.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Aidan Turner is my favorite to be the seventh James Bond. And Richard Madden as a second choice, if his character Ikaris from Eternals does not return in the MCU.

;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    if there's one area where NTTD really succeeded it's in its characterisation of Bond himself: he wasn't diluted or any less Bond, but also the film didn't criticise or apologise for him.
    Yes, despite the unease that Phoebe Waller-Bridge's involvement seemed to instill in some quarters, even she said that Bond himself shouldn't change - can't remember the exact wording, but she said something to the effect that times had changed and the world's changed, but Bond shouldn't: his character's been set. I thought a lot of that came through in NTTD.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Venutius wrote: »
    if there's one area where NTTD really succeeded it's in its characterisation of Bond himself: he wasn't diluted or any less Bond, but also the film didn't criticise or apologise for him.
    Yes, despite the unease that Phoebe Waller-Bridge's involvement seemed to instill in some quarters, even she said that Bond himself shouldn't change - can't remember the exact wording, but she said something to the effect that times had changed and the world's changed, but Bond shouldn't: his character's been set. I thought a lot of that came through in NTTD.

Yeah, and he functioned perfectly well in the modern world too. I think NTTD showed that he should have no problem existing in the present day.
    I really loved that despite all of the furore about other characters and the overblown pre-emptive criticism of Waller-Bridge's involvement, Bond pretty much did his own thing in NTTD as he always does. He just got on with it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really loved that despite all of the furore about other characters and the overblown pre-emptive criticism of Waller-Bridge's involvement, Bond pretty much did his own thing in NTTD as he always does. He just got on with it.

Don't forget all of the hand-wringing over Nomi, how some people actually knew she'd be showing Bond up all the way through and saying sassy things and making him look stupid and old. Didn't happen once.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    There's some people who think there was originally a bit where Nomi took Bond's gun in Jamaica - hence the 'disarming young woman' line. Mind you, they're probably the same ones who griped about him riding on the back of her scooter and him not telling her to move over and let him drive in Norway. Ho-hum.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Venutius wrote: »
    There's some people who think there was originally a bit where Nomi took Bond's gun in Jamaica - hence the 'disarming young woman' line.

Could be; not sure where it would fit but maybe. Or it could be one of those lines which appears to be a pun even though it isn't: like Roger's slightly peculiar "I like to keep... abreast of things" in MR in Venice when he's talking to Goodhead, which seems to be a joke simply on the fact that she possesses breasts :D

I love all of that stuff because it's so wrong, but I think the world can survive moving on from it slightly! :)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    At about 2.29 in that clip, Turner looks like Dalton in TLD when he tells Kara Georgi will pay.

There is a slight resemblance between him and Dalton.

MV5BN2JjNGU0MTgtZjkxYy00Yjk2LWIzMDktMTZhMmFmMjRkYzFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzE3OTU5Mg@@._V1_.jpg
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    At about 2.29 in that clip, Turner looks like Dalton in TLD when he tells Kara Georgi will pay.

There is a slight resemblance between him and Dalton.

MV5BN2JjNGU0MTgtZjkxYy00Yjk2LWIzMDktMTZhMmFmMjRkYzFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzE3OTU5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

He could be his son, basically.
    I don't know, Dalton is too old to be his son.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't know, Dalton is too old to be his son.

LOL you win the internet with that joke