Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I'm going to watch the most obscure British tv series just so I can find potential Bond actors. And carefully watch TV shows with a British casting.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    A Bond named Bart. What a world.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If you want a stuffier name, he could just go by “Bartleby Edwards”.
  • Love seeing some new to newish names being thrown around.
    If you want a stuffier name, he could just go by “Bartleby Edwards”.

Bart is fine, although Bart Simpson will probably forever be the most famous person with that name.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    There certainly seems to be a lot of contenders to be the next bond as seen on this forum.

Does anyone think it has never been this way for the previous bond castings ?

Connery v cary grant and richard johnson.

George v ??????

Connery v John gavin

Brosnan and Dalton v sam neill and James Brolin

Brosnan had no one to compete against for ge ?

DC v cavill.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There certainly seems to be a lot of contenders to be the next bond as seen on this forum.

George v ??????

Connery v John gavin

DC v cavill.

According to IMDb Liam Neeson was initially offered the role, but turned it down.
    Pierce Brosnan was next approached and accepted the role. Had Brosnan declined, then British actor Paul McGann would’ve played Bond in GoldenEye.
    Over the years EON have had some rather odd actors lined up as back ups. John Gavin and Paul McGann don’t shout Bond to me. What could have been.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_James_Bond_character

Apparently Sean Bean was considered for GE, but MGM overruled Eon, which I find hard to believe given the well-known history Brosnan had with the role.

I always find it interesting that Dalton was in the conversation as early as OHMSS.

I also love Sir Ranulph Fiennes (a cousing of Ralph's) being dismissed for LALD "For having 'hands too big and a face like a farmer'". It seems like a real stretch, given that he isn't really an actor, but it's a fabulous story to tell.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    I heard a version where Barbara Broccoli wanted to subvert it and cast against type by hiring Sean Bean, but Cubby vetoed him because he was too short, blond and simply didn't look like Bond! Sounds familiar... Don't know how true that is, but it sounds plausible when you look at who she did cast when it was her decision.
    Some of those choices ! Ugh ! I've read that some of them were not genuinely candidates, and were trotted out to get Connery, then, later, Moorer to make a move and sign up for another one. James Brolin, in particular. Even with that in mind, it seems Cubby Broccoli was quite focused on the money as opposed to the quality of the films. Perhaps I should direct that observation at Harry Saltzman, as well.
    Benny wrote: »

George v ??????

Connery v John gavin

DC v cavill.

According to IMDb Liam Neeson was initially offered the role, but turned it down.
    Pierce Brosnan was next approached and accepted the role. Had Brosnan declined, then British actor Paul McGann would’ve played Bond in GoldenEye.
    Over the years EON have had some rather odd actors lined up as back ups. John Gavin and Paul McGann don’t shout Bond to me. What could have been.

if i could have one actor do one bond film right now it would be Liam Neeson... come on a retired 007 gets dragged into one last mission am i the only one who wants it?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Gavin was actually signed as Bond so that's a pretty expensive bluff.

Brolin I can buy as a bluff.
    It’s very interesting that after Dalton officially vacated the role that Brosnan wasn’t even the first person EON approached. It’s like EON only reluctantly brought in Brosnan just because it made Cubby and the suits at MGM happy enough. And once his contract was finished they were eager to move on.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Some of those choices ! Ugh ! I've read that some of them were not genuinely candidates, and were trotted out to get Connery, then, later, Moorer to make a move and sign up for another one. James Brolin, in particular. Even with that in mind, it seems Cubby Broccoli was quite focused on the money as opposed to the quality of the films. Perhaps I should direct that observation at Harry Saltzman, as well.

There’s the „Eon bluffing“ side of things and then there is the „actors bigging themselves up“ side. I am sure there are a few that were never in any real contention but loved to run around Hollywood on the 80s telling everyone they were almost James Bond…
    It’s very interesting that after Dalton officially vacated the role that Brosnan wasn’t even the first person EON approached. It’s like EON only reluctantly brought in Brosnan just because it made Cubby and the suits at MGM happy enough. And once his contract was finished they were eager to move on.

I don't know the story, but I think Brosnan was probably their first choice and they kept other candidates just in case.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Still think Aaron Taylor-Johnson would do a good job. Plus, he's got Kraven The Hunter and Bullet Train coming out to prove himself even more. I got this screenshot of him from The Kings Man.

XYbSnUL.png
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    no one will be mentioning Aaron Taylor-Johnston for Bond from Bullet Train , try Google Image to see what i mean
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    weboffear wrote: »
    no one will be mentioning Aaron Taylor-Johnston for Bond from Bullet Train , try Google Image to see what i mean
    I mean I know he has long hair and a moustache but it’ll be more about his acting and action capability considering it’s a film about assassins by one of the directors of John Wick.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Looking at some of the favourites to be the next actor is really deflating as a fan.
    Non of them excite me about the next era of Bond
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Looking at some of the favourites to be the next actor is really deflating as a fan.
    Non of them excite me about the next era of Bond

I know what you mean. I think I'll probably get more excited when they pick someone as I'll be trying to imagine them as Bond, but at the moment there's no one I'm desperate to see play him.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    The only one of them I can even start to imagine as Bond is Aidan Turner. The others just don't seem right. But then, in 2005, I couldn't see Craig as Bond either, so I've really learned the wait-and-see lesson!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I wouldn't have picked Craig as Bond, but as soon as he was announced I got excited by the idea because I hadn't considering him previously.
    Nobody would have picked Craig as Bond. That’s part of why Barbara Broccoli is highly praised because she’s able to make esoteric choices studios would never do, and most of it has paid off.

Now she rolled the dice on having Bond die at the end and NTTD was still a huge hit at the box office.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Nobody would have picked Craig as Bond. That’s part of why Barbara Broccoli is highly praised because she’s able to make esoteric choices studios would never do, and most of it has paid off.

Now she rolled the dice on having Bond die at the end and NTTD was still a huge hit at the box office.
    This was probably the perfect time to kill him. A pandemic that limits repeat viewings and a movie that also may inhibit repeat viewings. A good match
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess to be fair, people didn't know that would happen in the film until after they'd paid the money! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I guess to be fair, people didn't know that would happen in the film until after they'd paid the money! :)

True, but I recall very early on many on this forum folks doom and gloomed after opening weekend, predicting that the film would bomb because 1) audiences would spoil the ending thus nobody would want to see a movie where Bond dies 2) no one would come back in theaters for repeat viewing to see Bond die again

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,247
    I know Barbara will definitely pick the right actor for Bond 7. But part of me thinks because Bond died in NTTD, the new Bond would be embraced immediately, because fans can't wait to have Bond back. I can even imagine the press quoting Alec from GE by saying "Back From The Dead" immediately Bond 7 is announced. So I think it might help Bond 7 settle into the role quickly. One can only imagine how successful Bond 26 would be, with fans flooding into cinemas to see what a resurrected Bond looks like.
  • Don't think anyone wants a new Bond right now or soon. But they know a new one is coming.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I know Barbara will definitely pick the right actor for Bond 7. But part of me thinks because Bond died in NTTD, the new Bond would be embraced immediately, because fans can't wait to have Bond back. I can even imagine the press quoting Alec from GE by saying "Back From The Dead" immediately Bond 7 is announced. So I think it might help Bond 7 settle into the role quickly. One can only imagine how successful Bond 26 would be, with fans flooding into cinemas to see what a resurrected Bond looks like.

As long as he doesn't look like a little lad who could not win a fight with a wet paper bag, or some bland vaguely handsome buy with nothing much distinctive in his appearance !

If the producers address the certainly valid concern with attractinging young fans, but mis-step in these ways, it sure would be a shame. I am NOT advocating for or against casting of a sort which some folks find politically motivated. I AM advocating for someone tall, credible (ie, looks physically capable in altercations, running, climbing, etc.), handsome with interesting features with a good voice. By the way - those young fans ? I think they'd want someone credible for the part, too, not some emo lad. This isn't the story of a teenager (as in Spiderman, and not unless they make some Young Bond features <-- perhaps better suited for long-form streaming TV, and in period, even if the "regular" Bonds are set current day) but a young but experienced, tough, smart agent. The youth market does watch grown up actors in some very popular shows and movies.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah, I know what you mean @Since62 but I think it's safe to say the right choice for Bond would grace our screens in Bond 26.