Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Going by the clip, he doesn’t really possess the charisma for the role. He certainly looks the part, but looks aren’t everything.

That's not up for you to decide, old chap. In my opinion he certainly is a much much better candidate than either Claflin or Callum Turner. Seems as though the majority in this thread agree with me and not with you. At the end of the day Benny is right. It's not up to us, we're merely standing at the side line. I do hope they all get a fair chance at proving who is the rightful heir.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,935
    Going by the clip, he doesn’t really possess the charisma for the role. He certainly looks the part, but looks aren’t everything.

That's not up for you to decide, old chap. In my opinion he certainly is a much much better candidate than either Claflin or Callum Turner.

It’s up to Makeshift to decide what their opinion is, and that was opinion being given just as you are giving yours.

Personally I tend to agree with MP: I’m not sure he has the big screen charisma and I would be concerned that he’s never led a decent sized movie. But if he did ace an audition and they picked him I’d certainly give him a chance.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If it’s enough to make you turn your back on Bond then you were never really a fan. No different than those whiners over Craig’s blonde hair and harsh looks...

... and Bond’s death? 😄
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,318
    mtm wrote: »

That's not up for you to decide, old chap. In my opinion he certainly is a much much better candidate than either Claflin or Callum Turner.

It’s up to Makeshift to decide what their opinion is, and that was opinion being given just as you are giving yours.

Personally I tend to agree with MP: I’m not sure he has the big screen charisma and I would be concerned that he’s never led a decent sized movie. But if he did ace an audition and they picked him I’d certainly give him a chance.

MP worded it more as fact than opinion. Slight difference there, MTM a.k.a. my favourite copycat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's clearly an opinion; don't start your namecalling.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t always use the phrase “in my opinion”, because it’s so blatantly obvious when I express an opinion, especially in regards to something as highly subjective as film medium. We’re all intelligent enough to understand the conceit of an opinion.

That’s why I hate the term “objective opinion”. It’s an oxymoron. Nobody can be “wrong” or “right” about an opinion. Unless you say TWINE is a good film, then you’re clearly wrong. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t always use the phrase “in my opinion”, because it’s so blatantly obvious when I express an opinion, especially in regards to something as highly subjective as film medium. We’re all intelligent enough to understand the conceit of an opinion.

Exactly
    :-bd
  • I would be ok with A. Turner as Bond. Even though The Hobbit was a decade ago, and And Then There Were None was seven years ago. His body shape is similar to Craig's here... Not sure if that's good or bad.
    NINTCHDBPICT000414012831.jpg
    delete duplicates online
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    At about 2.29 in that clip, Turner looks like Dalton in TLD when he tells Kara Georgi will pay.

Aidan Turner is the only one of the candidates who I can picture in the role (probably why I'm not a casting director) but I think he ticks all the boxes. If he was younger I think he'd be a favourite with EON
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,925
    Turner ticks 1 and 3 on the General's list, I think. Not seen enough to gauge if he could hold his own against the likes of Mads, but we'll be very lucky if whoever we get has acting chops approaching Craig's. Not sure how convincing Aidan Turner would look going hand to hand with the likes of Dave Bautista either, but we don't know that NewBond will need to be as physically imposing as Craig, anyway, so... All in all, I like Turner more than the other suggestions and with the way he looks I could see him being Cubby's choice, but I suspect he'll be too TradBond for Barbara Broccoli and won't get the nod.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think he got involved in fisticuffs in Poldark and did well enough.

I think you're right about him being the guy Cubby would have cast. Funny to think that Cubby only really cast one Bond actor on his own (I know he cast Brosnan too in '86 but by the time he got the job again he wasn't working on the films any more).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Turner is absolutely capable of the physicality the role , and as far his physique, he will adapt it to fit the vision of the powers that be.

I know some would prefer an unconventional pick , but sometimes an obvious choice is right choice.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    In my view, regardless of who they pick for the role... they get the opportunity to deliver. I wont pass judgement until I am coming out of the cinema having seen their debut.

There is so much more to Bond 26 that I am more interested in what they do.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 5,962

I think you're right about him being the guy Cubby would have cast. Funny to think that Cubby only really cast one Bond actor on his own (I know he cast Brosnan too in '86 but by the time he got the job again he wasn't working on the films any more).

I think Cubby cast John Gavin (Latino and American) but got overruled by Harry (who wanted a British actor).

Cubby may have been a bit more progressive, and like Barbara, than some people on here seem to think.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    echo wrote: »

I think Cubby cast John Gavin (Latino and American) but got overruled by Harry (who wanted a British actor).

Cubby may have been a bit more progressive, and like Barbara, than some people on here seem to think.

They are business people, and progressiveness has been good business since the 60s. What a coincidence. Many also forget how progressive the sex-positive Fleming novels and Connery films were in their day, too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This is very interesting...a New Zealand actor that they were screen-testing for DAF.

Even more interesting is the script they are using...to my ear it sounds like they initially planned to include several more references to Tracy in DAF.

Cool! I love seeing screentest. As with many, he didn’t have the voice.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,925
    Good stuff, never seen that. Looks like he's vaguely trying to channel Lazenby minus George's innate couldn't-give-a-damn.

You copied my post. I found it amusing, albeit a bit silly .

My reply regarding @Mendes4Lyfe his post:

"This is probably the best post I have ever read on mi6. I salute you @Mendes4Lyfe. Very, very eloquently put and I could not agree more. You are a true asset to this forum"

Your reply a few posts later regarding another member:

"Excellent intelligent reply which answers all the questions fully, could not agree more. You’re an asset to the forum."

Let's leave it at that indeed ;)
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    This is very interesting...a New Zealand actor that they were screen-testing for DAF.

Even more interesting is the script they are using...to my ear it sounds like they initially planned to include several more references to Tracy in DAF.

Bob simmons is in it too.
    Above he resembles Moore a bit.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 9,767
    Funny how no one talks about making Batman black but for some reason fixate on Bond. I wonder why.

Batman has been black for about a year now:
    947032._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/dec/11/new-batman-will-be-black-dc-comics-announces
    But my issue with Luke Fox as Batman (yes son of Lucius fox who gave Batman his gadgets in the Nolan films) is he is a poor character when Stan Lee gave us a black batman in Wayne Williams I understood in the first few panels who he was why he wanted to be Batman and who is main villain is... I read all 4 issues of The Next Batman and guess what I know nothing about him other then he is overly confident oh and his family doesn't like him very much.

But if I criticize the lazy writing I am deemed a racist because it's a black batman so of course it has to be brilliant!

I fear a black bond will fall in the same category.. lazy writing and race being turned into a gimmick which i feel is not very PC but meh

and if you criticize Death dies tomorrow starring Idris Elba as 007 as a lazy version of Taken... you will be deemed a racist ...

I also find it comical that people assume people's races based on their views when as far as I know many of the people here just have a user name and that's it.

if EON gave me a compelling bond film where the actor just happened to be black or Asian or whatever fine

but if they hide lazy writing and story telling behind being PC yeah I am out.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,427
    Risico007 wrote: »
    if EON gave me a compelling bond film where the actor just happened to be black or Asian or whatever fine

but if they hide lazy writing and story telling behind being PC yeah I am out.

Thank you for leaving room for an actor to have a chance. I'm serious, I can respect that over someone who refuses to see it at all.

I don't think any of us want to see lazy writing, nor a newly fabricated cultural background for the character on screen. It should look, sound, and play like a Bond film, no matter what, and I don't think the actor's race needs to have any impact on that. I don't think the movies should ignore what some races may experience different from a white man; I think in the espionage field, looking non-white would have its own unique advantages and disadvantages and I think the movies could play with that character element a bit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

"This is probably the best post I have ever read on mi6. I salute you @Mendes4Lyfe. Very, very eloquently put and I could not agree more. You are a true asset to this forum"

"Excellent intelligent reply which answers all the questions fully, could not agree more. You’re an asset to the forum."

No idea what your point is: I presume you want congratulations for spotting it..? I'm well aware of what I posted and why, thanks.

No idea what your point is: I presume you want congratulations for spotting it..? I'm well aware of what I posted and why, thanks.

Case closed your honour. Haha.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What 'case'? I don't think you even understand what you're trying to score points over anymore, it's bizarre.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 14,816

Interesting. Somewhat less comedic than what we had in the film, perhaps? The voice was all wrong.
    What 'case'? I don't think you even understand what you're trying to score points over anymore, it's bizarre.

It's funny to me. As with a lot of things that involve you @mtm
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, some people do find things they don't understand funny. It's a way of coping, I guess.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Is that from the original Maibaum draft before Mankiewicz did his rewrite?