Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Troy wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yep the Idris for Bond horse has bolted.

Or shot it’s bolt. Or whatever.

He will clearly never be Bond.

But there should be a black Bond.

They could even reuse the old Goldeneye trailer - “expecting someone else?”

I don’t really understand this sentiment. I’m not against a black Bond, although my preference would be for him to remain roughly as is, but why ‘should’ there be?

That's the burning question I have every time I see an article saying "it's time" for a black Bond. Well, why? And as others have echoed, why is it "time" then for a black Bond but not, say, an Asian Bond or Spanish Bond?

As only 3% of the UK population are Black, we have a lot of Bonds to get through before we are due a Black Bond

Ian Flemming didn't create a black James Bond...they can certainly cast another double-O as a different ethnicity if they want, but James Bond has a literary description already...it's lame and lacks creativity to hear the rhetoric about changing a character's description to appease members of society when they have the freedom to just create something new to fit their tastes.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ian Flemming didn't do anything.

Ian Fleming - sorry for the typo
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    KenAustin wrote: »

I don’t really understand this sentiment. I’m not against a black Bond, although my preference would be for him to remain roughly as is, but why ‘should’ there be?

That's the burning question I have every time I see an article saying "it's time" for a black Bond. Well, why? And as others have echoed, why is it "time" then for a black Bond but not, say, an Asian Bond or Spanish Bond?

As only 3% of the UK population are Black, we have a lot of Bonds to get through before we are due a Black Bond

Ian Flemming didn't create a black James Bond...they can certainly cast another double-O as a different ethnicity if they want, but James Bond has a literary description already...it's lame and lacks creativity to hear the rhetoric about changing a character's description to appease members of society when they have the freedom to just create something new to fit their tastes.

Seems even less creative to just copy stuff out of an old book verbatim.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Bah, that s nothing. Check out what the Danes used to call him, and they have never apologized.

s-l1200.jpg
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Always rated Jan Fleming.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Bah, that s nothing. Check out what the Danes used to call him, and they have never apologized.

s-l1200.jpg

Before he was a lawyer, Perry Mason was a British agent. Who knew? :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mtm wrote: »

I've said it before, but taken to the nth degree, I swear some Bond fans would just have had Dr. No 25 times at this point.
  • mtm wrote: »

Ian Fleming didn't create a black James Bond...they can certainly cast another double-O as a different ethnicity if they want, but James Bond has a literary description already...it's lame and lacks creativity to hear the rhetoric about changing a character's description to appease members of society when they have the freedom to just create something new to fit their tastes.

I've said it before, but taken to the nth degree, I swear some Bond fans would just have had Dr. No 25 times at this point.
    DR. NO (1962)
    DR. YES (1963)
    DR. MAYBE (1964)
    DR. PERHAPS (1965)...

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Dr. No (1962)
    Dr. Noah (1963)
    Dr. Nocent (1964)
    Dr. Nocuous (1965)
    Dr. Nod (1967)
    Dr. No-Go (1969)
    Dr. No-Hit (1971)

Dr. Nohow (1973)
    Dr. Noir (1974)
    Dr. Noise (1977)
    Dr. No Longer (1979)
    Dr. No-Name (1981)
    Dr. None (1983)
    Dr. Non Grata (1985)

Dr. Nonharmonic (1987)
    Dr. No-No (1989)
    Dr. Nonsense (1995)
    Dr. Non Troppo (1997)
    Dr. Noob (1999)
    Dr. Noodle (2002)

Dr. Noon (2006)
    Dr. Nope (2008)
    Dr. Nose (2012)
    Dr. No Way (2015)
    Dr. Nomi (2021)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Dr. Maybe? What a tease.
  • Troy wrote: »
    How about Jamie Dornan as the next 007? Got the physicality and the looks - may scrub up well
    I like Dornan, I think he could have been a great Bond if Craig retired in 2015. But for Bond 26? It depends if Eon is ready to hire an actor already in his forties (Dornan is 40 this year). Personally, I would like to see a younger Bond, in his early thirties, and, in this context, I fear Dornan may be too old when the next installment may be released.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    How about Jamie Dornan as the next 007? Got the physicality and the looks - may scrub up well
    I like Dornan, I think he could have been a great Bond if Craig retired in 2015. But for Bond 26? It depends if Eon is ready to hire an actor already in his forties (Dornan is 40 this year). Personally, I would like to see a younger Bond, in his early thirties, and, in this context, I fear Dornan may be too old when the next installment may be released.

I think I mentioned him a couple of pages back and it was discussed that he is part of that mini-generation born in the 70s (or early 80s) that is probably just lost between Craig and the next guy due to the long breaks between films. Picking one of them - Dornan, Fassbender, Luke Evans, Rupert Friend, Hardy or Cavill - they either have to become quicker with the films, or accept that it's only a two or three film tenure, one of which will push into the upper range of what we have previously seen in Bond age wise. And after 10 years (plus the time it takes to make the next one) of "Old Bond" films, I think most people would like a stretch with a younger actor.

However, I think all of those guys - and if Dornan were to win an Oscar for Belfast, he'd probably be at the top of the call sheet at Eon - could be fun villains in a Scaramanga/Trevelyan-vibe. A bit older than Bond, but basically cut from the same cloth. Maybe even a former mentor. I wouldn't go so cheesy as to have Bond pick up traits or catchphrases from the guy, but having a someone similar to contrast this new Bond against, could be fun.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope they just present Bond 26 as this is James Bond #7 and move on from that point. I'm not keen on seeing another origin story for Bond.

That's why part of me hopes they cast someone late 30's early 40's (even if that rules me out as Bond #7 😅)
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Does anyone think this guy has got a good chance of being the next bond ?
    rege-jean-page-1609957882.jpg?crop=0.5xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Rege-Jean Page?
    Flavour of the month a while back, constantly in the polls...alongside Idris Elba and other no chance of getting the role candidates.
    It's got nothing to do with his skin colour, it's because he's only had one notable role.
    So no, I don't think he has a chance.

I'd say a chance but he isn't a frontrunner at all. He had his 5 minutes being the lead of a hit Netflix show and is quite good looking, but that's about it. He ultimately doesn't have the career or acting pedigree needed to land the role I think.

The conspiracy theorists believe EON is set on casting a non-white actor no matter what, but even if that where true I think Daniel Kaluuya, Dev Patel or Henry Golding are more likely than Page.
    He seems to be quite popular at the moment, perhaps because of his role in Bridgerton which i haven't watched but i have seen some clips from it and he seems to be a good actor.
    Right age and build.
    Maybe he has a good chance for a screen test at the very least ?
  • I think I mentioned him a couple of pages back and it was discussed that he is part of that mini-generation born in the 70s (or early 80s) that is probably just lost between Craig and the next guy due to the long breaks between films. Picking one of them - Dornan, Fassbender, Luke Evans, Rupert Friend, Hardy or Cavill - they either have to become quicker with the films, or accept that it's only a two or three film tenure, one of which will push into the upper range of what we have previously seen in Bond age wise. And after 10 years (plus the time it takes to make the next one) of "Old Bond" films, I think most people would like a stretch with a younger actor.

Very well said. I would add Turner to this list.
    I think I mentioned him a couple of pages back and it was discussed that he is part of that mini-generation born in the 70s (or early 80s) that is probably just lost between Craig and the next guy due to the long breaks between films. Picking one of them - Dornan, Fassbender, Luke Evans, Rupert Friend, Hardy or Cavill - they either have to become quicker with the films, or accept that it's only a two or three film tenure, one of which will push into the upper range of what we have previously seen in Bond age wise. And after 10 years (plus the time it takes to make the next one) of "Old Bond" films, I think most people would like a stretch with a younger actor.

A younger actor just won't pull off the kind of wisdom Bond is supposed to exude as a long tenured agent whom normally have short life expectancies...a young actor is only going to attract people who want a long term Bond because the studio doesn't seem capable of writing ahead or filming back to back movies and then spacing out the release dates later. Bottom line is it's not really going to be "Bond" if it doesn't mesh well with the original literary character no matter how much agenda the newer generation wants to assert or insert onto or into the next films
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

A younger actor just won't pull off the kind of wisdom Bond is supposed to exude as a long tenured agent whom normally have short life expectancies...a young actor is only going to attract people who want a long term Bond because the studio doesn't seem capable of writing ahead or filming back to back movies and then spacing out the release dates later. Bottom line is it's not really going to be "Bond" if it doesn't mesh well with the original literary character no matter how much agenda the newer generation wants to assert or insert onto or into the next films

But it's worth noting many things. Firstly, whether people like it or not, James Bond as a character is easily mouldable. We've had six actors and twenty-five films that have each done something different with the character. Having a James Bond that's younger, and by younger most people just mean early 30s, he can still retain everything that makes him who he is. We speak a lot of James Bond being a tenured agent but his first novel is literally his first proper mission as a 00, and while his career prior to being 00 could add to your term of "long tenured", but that's not what people think about when think of his career as an agent.

Also, we talk of writing ahead but I honestly don't think thats a viable plan creatively or in terms of the business itself. Each production is different and each production faces its own problems, and you might find that planning ahead will cause its own problems and may be even more damaging. The Craig-era didn't go the way it did because EON didn't plan, it went the way it did because of unforeseen circumstances, and writing a few scripts ahead of time wouldn't have changed anything. The same with casting a different actor on a more regular basis. Again it's not very viable and I think would do the opposite of people think it would. Firstly I feel the more they make the weaker they'll become, and I think it'd become less of an event. Also there would be more cases of an actor not resonating, meaning that certain films won't do as well so you'd be creating a rollercoaster of success that would probably end up turning the franchise into a cardboard version of what came before.

Also, I don't really understand the idea that newer generations are pushing an agenda. For me, and I think for others, they understand that while James Bond is still part of the public consciousness but not like it used to be, and feel that a younger actor could really freshen things up a bit, and make Bond 27 as successful as James Bond can really be going forward.
    I guess we can rule out Cavill and Hardy out as bond candidates because it's hard to think eon would like Superman and Max,Bane etc as their next 007 ?

I wonder if Christian Bale was ever considered by eon for bond before he got the batman role ?
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Also, I don't really understand the idea that newer generations are pushing an agenda. For me, and I think for others, they understand that while James Bond is still part of the public consciousness but not like it used to be, and feel that a younger actor could really freshen things up a bit, and make Bond 27 as successful as James Bond can really be going forward.
    Yeah, totally agree. Furthermore, to stigmatize any rejuvenation of Bond is the best way to damage the brand. The series is in need of a new energy; to set the series against new generations is the best way to prevent it to continue to exist.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Nicholas Hoult is aging int the role; he has real potential.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm sure we need not be scared of a younger lad taking over. There's a marginal subset of our youths who might attempt to steer things in a certain political direction, but most guys would simply be thrilled to step into Craig's shoes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's quite interesting that Craig's thinking was, in part, that the next Bond would need that reset of killing him in order to go somewhere new with it. You may disagree with that thinking but I think it's just interesting that he was considering where it would go after him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think it's quite interesting that Craig's thinking was, in part, that the next Bond would need that reset of killing him in order to go somewhere new with it. You may disagree with that thinking but I think it's just interesting that he was considering where it would go after him.

This doesn't sound like Craig at all!!! He's about big bucks and ego and hating James Bond and finding unique ways of flushing the character down the toilet!! In short: he's the most evil of evil men.
    peter wrote: »

This doesn't sound like Craig at all!!! He's about big bucks and ego and hating James Bond and finding unique ways of flushing the character down the toilet!! In short: he's the most evil of evil men.
    peter wrote: »

Well there is a healthy bit of ego in saying: Honestly, they only way they could ever follow me up is if you kill me. People would be screaming for more of me like you wouldn’t believe. No way for this to continue if I’m still around!

Love the guy though;-)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    How do you guys feel about Craig’s clam that he requested Bond’s death from the very beginning? I’m skeptical, and think there is a bit of ret-conning going on. I believe that had SPECTRE been a stronger film that it would have been his curtain call.
    talos7 wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about Craig’s clam that he requested Bond’s death from the very beginning? I’m skeptical, and think there is a bit of ret-conning going on. I believe that had SPECTRE been a stronger film that it would have been his curtain call.

Have you read this story ?

"I'm going to tell a story here, whether or not anybody remembers it or agrees with it. But it was 2006," Craig recalled to Variety last month. "[Producer] Barbara [Broccoli] and I were sitting in the back of a car driving away from the Berlin premiere of Casino Royale. Everything was going well. People liked the movie. And it looked like I was gonna get a chance to make at least another movie. I said to Barbara, 'How many of these movies do I have to make?' Because I don't really look at contracts or any of those things. And she said, 'Four,' and I went, 'Oh, okay. Can I kill him off in the last one?' And she didn't pause. She said, 'Yes.' So I struck a deal with her back then and said, 'That's the way I'd like it to go.' It's the only way I could see for myself to end it all and to make it like that was my tenure, someone else could come and take over. She stuck to her guns."

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/daniel-craig-james-bond-casting-press-conference-reaction/