Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Germanlady wrote: »
    ONE bookmaker has written something and everybody is jumping on the boat. Hilarious and Lewis on top. How ridiculous is that? This man is unattractive AND way too old.

As for DC and is 5th Bond? I am pretty sure, ALL of those, who will decide on that, will wait for Spectre to happen and see how it goes. Inc.luding DC himself.

So, I am pretty sre, this is what the article says - an attempt to generate column inches.

All good points Germanlady.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There was a time when Jude Law and Hugh Grant were the bookies' favourite. They might as well pull a name from the London phone book.

Ha ha ha!!!
    NicNac wrote: »
    Sounds like Mr Lewis's agent has too much time on his hands.

Or is insane.

smitty wrote: »
    Isn't it time for EON to show some back bone and put an end to this idiotic PR for most of these actors that don't have a chance in hell of being Bond.

BB and MW's response to the Elba rumor was all political correctness. Elba hasn't a chance, neither does Lewis. They are both more than a decade to old. EON's silence just adds fuel to these idiotic rumors and stories which spread like fire in the press. It is disloyal to Craig, who has poured Lord knows how many extra millions into their wallets, it also undermines SP. People going to see SP shouldn't be speculating why Craig is being replaced. EON's silence is contributing to this.

doing more than they do would give some credit to the rumor. The best way is indeed to dismiss it politely.

Exactly., and I would personally add that in reality a black Bond would be too high risk commercially. Would some Americans or the eastern parts of the world accept it?....nope. However, Eon could never openly say this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Isn't it time for EON to show some back bone and put an end to this idiotic PR for most of these actors that don't have a chance in hell of being Bond.

BB and MW's response to the Elba rumor was all political correctness. Elba hasn't a chance, neither does Lewis. They are both more than a decade to old. EON's silence just adds fuel to these idiotic rumors and stories which spread like fire in the press. It is disloyal to Craig, who has poured Lord knows how many extra millions into their wallets, it also undermines SP. People going to see SP shouldn't be speculating why Craig is being replaced. EON's silence is contributing to this.

doing more than they do would give some credit to the rumor. The best way is indeed to dismiss it politely.

Exactly., and I would personally add that in reality a black Bond would be too high risk commercially. Would some Americans or the eastern parts of the world accept it?....nope. However, Eon could never openly say this.

Good point.

The issue for me is not so much the concept of a black Bond. It is the right black Bond.

That's a needle in a haystack, since there are so many other factors that a hypothetical individual has to overcome, including prejudices built up over years.......so this hypothetical has to be extremely sellable to compensate for the inherent resistance, and have a provable history of massive box office (which in turn eliminates him from consideration based on EON's historic criteria for selecting Bond).

Such a needle is almost impossible to locate. Elba has got closest to being tenable critically, but even he is not guaranteed box office. Someone like Will Smith could be guaranteed box office, but he is not critically tenable, or even British for that matter. So bottom line, the idea is not sellable.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @suavejmf you need stop multi posting. Posting four times in a row is a no no.
    Use the edit function should you which to add to a topic that has had no replies since your last post.

As for all the recent speculation and talk of Damian Lewis. Well it's good publicity with an upcoming Bond movie on the horizon. The world press will always publish stories where a new OO7 is concerned. In fifty years we've only had six actors in the role.
    It's not even close to probable that during the filming and four months out from release that a new Bond would be even mentioned.
    Whilst there is no gurantee of Spectre not being Daniel Craigs final Bond film. (Things change, actors move on.) I don't see it. If it was, it would be a damn fine four Bond stint for Daniel Craig.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Hugh Grant's comments about playing Bond are funny:
    "I might have been tempted ten years ago," he told us last October. "I do bring a natural menace to the screen so I've always been surprised that they never offered me the part."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/who-will-replace-daniel-craig-as-james-bond-from-damian-lewis-and-idris-elba-to-some-more-unlikely-contenders-10323310.html

;))
    bondjames wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

Good point.

The issue for me is not so much the concept of a black Bond. It is the right black Bond.

That's a needle in a haystack, since there are so many other factors that a hypothetical individual has to overcome, including prejudices built up over years.......so this hypothetical has to be extremely sellable to compensate for the inherent resistance, and have a provable history of massive box office (which in turn eliminates him from consideration based on EON's historic criteria for selecting Bond).

Such a needle is almost impossible to locate. Elba has got closest to being tenable critically, but even he is not guaranteed box office. Someone like Will Smith could be guaranteed box office, but he is not critically tenable, or even British for that matter. So bottom line, the idea is not sellable.

I'll sum up the problem with Idris Elba as Bond here : too old now, too arrogant about it and overall he has the look of a black Bruce Willis with a British accent. Willis is a fine actor but I wouldn't have wanted him as Bond had he been British.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Germanlady wrote: »

If a crapfest like JW can be successful, so should be Bond.

I am pretty sure Bond is more successful than Jehova s Witnesses.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Surely Hugh Grant was being tongue in cheek?
    I suspect it was that video that did it. Millennium.

Horrendous.

Sorry, but I actually quite like that video...

Troy wrote: »
    I suspect it was that video that did it. Millennium.

Horrendous.

Sorry, but I actually quite like that video...

But does that horny monkeyface remind you of Sean Connery?
    LoL no. Can't see him as Bond. But I like the video - he's not taking himself too seriously, just having fun.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think a young Hugh Grant would've made a good Roger Moore 2.0
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Yes but he turned out be more Rogera whore bomb boom boom tsssssh!
  • Alright, I know it's very early to speculate about who's going to play 007 after Craig, but today I stumbled upon this fanmade clip on Youtube with Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt in the role of Bond. I've been a big fan of Persbrandt for a very long time and he is a really good actor. Back in 2011 he started doing a series of action-movies called "Hamilton" wich is about a Swedish undercover agent who is a part of an elite group of spies with a licence to kill. I have always thought Mikael should be the next Bond and I'm sure he would make a perfect 007! As I said this clip is fanmade and NOT BY ME! You should the Hamilton-movies a try, they are all subtitled and really Bond-like. He also played Beorn in "The Hobbit" and he shall play Kjartan in "Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur" in 2016. So what do you guys think of him? Am I alone in this?
    Looks strangely similar to Daniel Craig. Anyway he is 51(!) so there's zero chance.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    Looks strangely similar to Daniel Craig. Anyway he is 51(!) so there's zero chance.
    O yes he is pretty old but the character of Carl Hamilton is 44 and he pulls of that really well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I like this guy for an older Bond...
    tve4110-3369-20140511-0.jpg
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I like this guy for an older Bond...
    tve4110-3369-20140511-0.jpg

They should get him for the next Kingsman film, since they pretty much killed off all the thespians in the first one. He'd be excellent in the role of the new head, taking over from Michael Caine's Chester King / Arthur
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    O yes he is pretty old but the character of Carl Hamilton is 44 and he pulls of that really well.

And if he was from any country on Planet Earth except Sweden, would you still seriously consider him as a good Bond?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The only good thing about that Swedish guy is that looking at tge stuff he's doing it just reinforces that Craig at the very least has 2 more Bond films in him after SP.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »

And if he was from any country on Planet Earth except Sweden, would you still seriously consider him as a good Bond?
    Absolutely! He is a really good actor. He's the biggest in Sweden. A really fine one who's done Shakespeare and worked for the most prestige theatre in Sweden.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 5,131
    dinovelvet wrote: »

Plus not British. Less than zero chance.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,696
    I've just watched the trailers for the 2 'Hamilton' films.. Wow, that guy is 51 years old?! He's a total badass! I think I've seen this guy in 'In a Better World', but I never thought he could handle himself like that. Hopefully as @doubleoego said, if at 51 years old you can be as credible as that in action scenes, Craig has a good 2 more outings after SP while he'll still be in top physical condition.
  • I've just watched the trailers for the 2 'Hamilton' films.. Wow, that guy is 51 years old?! He's a total badass! I think I've seen this guy in 'In a Better World', but I never thought he could handle himself like that. Hopefully as @doubleoego said, if at 51 years old you can be as credible as that in action scenes, Craig has a good 2 more outings after SP while he'll still be in top physical condition.
    Yeah, he is really fit. He also did the movie "Salvation" with Mads Mikkelsen and Eva Green. You guys shouldn't judge him just because he's not british. I don't even have to say that non-brits has done it before. Hamilton are really good movies!

edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @fromswedenwithlove, thanks for bringing Persbrandt and the Hamilton series to our attention. From the fan made trailer that you posted, it looks interesting enough...like a cross between Strike Back and Bond.

However, realistically speaking, this chap has as much chance of being Bond as Idris. i.e. none. The most he can hope for is probably a henchman role working for Blofeld.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @fromswedenwithlove, thanks for bringing Persbrandt and the Hamilton series to our attention. From the fan made trailer that you posted, it looks interesting enough...like a cross between Strike Back and Bond.

However, realistically speaking, this chap has as much chance of being Bond as Idris. i.e. none. The most he can hope for is probably a henchman role working for Blofeld.

Or a villain. But yes he's got zero chances as Bond. Not British and 51? Not a chance in the world.
  • bondjames wrote: »

A henchmen-role would be absolutely awesome!
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Daily Mail item on potential Bond actors:
    So who is to play the next James Bond, once Daniel Craig has handed in his licence to kill, as he seems likely to do after the forthcoming Spectre?

Excited headlines this week suggested that the red-haired Homeland star Damian Lewis is firmly in the crosshairs to play 007, following a rash of betting that overnight made him clear favourite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3132189/The-Men-d-Bond-BRIAN-VINER-looks-possible-successors-007-role.html