Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    With a 'put on' posh accent Sean Bean would have been an interesting choice for 007. He has the acting ability.

Love Sean Bean - he was incredible in GE. He has an interesting look too. Could have played a Craig'ish troubled, brooding Bond imho..

My thoughts exactly. Bean is a fine actor and always comes across as a decent guy off screen too.......so would have been good for 'the brand.'
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Would Bond ever yell out the word, "Yo" to attract someone's attention? Well he did exactly that to Wade in GE. That really bothered me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Would Bond ever yell out the word, "Yo" to attract someone's attention? Well he did exactly that to Wade in GE. That really bothered me.

Agreed. That was another one, along with cell phone & station break that was mentioned earlier. So this must have been their intention then....

It took some of the Britishness out of the whole thing for me.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I get what you mean. Brosnan has a weird accent (sort of an Irish English mix with hints of American) because of the different places he's lived in, so he doesn't always sound very British, and one thing that did irk me about his era was how the scripts had Bond use Americanisms (cell phone, station break, etc), which again took away from the 'Britishness' of Bond.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a station break called there?
    I actually know someone who could maybe have been a Bond actor: My own brother-in-law. Englishman, just over 6 feet tall, handsome, he also considered taking up acting and was coached by Patrick Stewart himself, who was ready to back him up had he decided to take things further. My brother-in-law decided instead to do advertisement. But apparently, he was very talented (talented enough for Patrick Stewart). Cons: he always looked very youthful, his face maybe too round for Bond. He also get an easy tan (his father being South African), so he often looks Mediterranean or even Asian.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As an American, I've never once heard "Station Break" on news and entertainment mediums. We have Commercials but nobody's ever said Time for a Station Break. Which sounds British anyway. What's the big deal? :-??
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Station break is not British or English. They don't say Station in England. When I lived there, it was normally called Channel.

A "Station Break" or "Commercial Break" is normally just referred to as '"Advertisements" or "Adverts", or more informally, "Telly Ads".

I don't live there any more so don't know if anything has changed, but both the term "Station" and the "break" were unusual and stuck out to me when I saw TND in the theatre for the first time. I remember thinking.....what's that all about?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    suavejmf wrote: »
    With a 'put on' posh accent Sean Bean would have been an interesting choice for 007. He has the acting ability.

Only problem is he would have been killed off.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I get what because of the different places he's lived in, so he doesn't always sound very British, and one thing that did irk me about his era was how the scripts had Bond use Americaniyou mean. Brosnan has a weird accent (sort of an Irish English mix with hints of American)sms (cell phone, station break, etc), which again took away from the 'Britishness' of Bond.

Yeah, Brosnan became very irish when he did his "Bond, James Bond" line, almost like in my head after he says it I can hear Pan pipes playing.
    Just read an article saying that there are whispers of Damien Lewis in the running for the next Bond, after Daniel Craig finishes his contract after Bond 25. I think Michael Fassbender would be a better pick, especially after seeing him in his role in "Inglorious Basterds." Thoughts?
    Damien Lewis would've been a great choice a few years ago but he's 44 now so even if SPECTRE is Craig's last, he'll still likely be 47 at least by the time Bond 25 comes around. A great actor but I think he's too old at this point. Definitely could've been a good Bond though.
    Just read an article saying that there are whispers of Damien Lewis in the running for the next Bond, after Daniel Craig finishes his contract after Bond 25. I think Michael Fassbender would be a better pick, especially after seeing him in his role in "Inglorious Basterds." Thoughts?

Both will be far too old come the time. Likely 2019-2020 before they cast again. Sure EON will want someone who is young enough they can get 5 films over 10 year period. So I would say no older than 40-42 in the year 2020.
    Tom Hiddleston is my new choice since Tom Hardy seems near impossible now.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    You know Michael Fassbender is still only 38 even if he took over in 4 years he would be 42 that is not old for a Bond, Moore was 45, Dalton 41 and Brosnan 42. I think he would jump at the chance if it considering he will have already achieved so much in film with the work he has done to date and to come. I like many would welcome Fassbender. I think it would be a disaster if he does'nt take over he has it all, the menacing eyes, the look, he can play multi-layered charachters

34rzygw.jpg
    The Damian Lewis thing was something started by his Wife Helen Mcrory ( Clair Dowar, Skyfall) who has been pushing for husband to be next. I think Damian is a fine actor and hes hillarious, did you know that he was having dinner at the white house and the president said to him, "after we eat will you sign my Homeland boxset", Lewis said "sure". Lewis signed it "To Barack, from one muslim to another best wishes Brody" I just can't see Damian as Bond. Which is weird because both he and Dan are the double of Steve McQueen.

30n7ls7.jpg
    2uyrcsm.jpg
    You know Michael Fassbender is still only 38 even if he took over in 4 years he would be 42 that is not old for a Bond, Moore was 45, Dalton 41 and Brosnan 42. I think he would jump at the chance if it considering he will have already achieved so much in film with the work he has done to date and to come. I like many would welcome Fassbender. I think it would be a disaster if he does'nt take over he has it all, the menacing eyes, the look, he can play multi-layered charachters

34rzygw.jpg

Roger Moore was in another time when they still could make a Bond every year or so. Let's not forget that he was meant to be replaced for FYEO and that he looked younger than his age. Just like Brosnan actually. If an actor wants to be Bond for a while he'll have to be cast younger.
    Ludovico wrote: »

34rzygw.jpg

Roger Moore was in another time when they still could make a Bond every year or so. Let's not forget that he was meant to be replaced for FYEO and that he looked younger than his age. Just like Brosnan actually. If an actor wants to be Bond for a while he'll have to be cast younger.

I honestly think production will speed up in future after Sony are gone. Regardless for a Bond actor 5-6 films over 10-12 should be about right.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

34rzygw.jpg

Fassbender has been my number one choice for a long time. He looks absolutely perfect for the role and is an excellent actor.

I suspect his chances will largely come down to timing. If DC wasn't doing another then MF would be a strong candidate, but as it is we'll have to wait and see.
    Even if production speeds up 40 something is too old to be a new Bond if they want a long tenure. Moore was an exception and in a different time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just reading today that Damien Lewis is fast becoming the Bookies favourite to
    Take over from Daniel.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fassbender would be an excellent choice. A good actor too. Yes please to that casting.

Damien Lewis - No gingers please. An unsuitable TV actor with a very weak chin! Daniel Craig has a Steve Mcqueen look/ esqueness about him as per the pictures above. Lewis certainly doesn't.
    Even if production speeds up 40 something is too old to be a new Bond if they want a long tenure. Moore was an exception and in a different time.

yes but you fail to see the point, Moore made a movie a year. As fans we accept every 2-3 years. When casting now I think your looking at a Bond who will commit to an initial 3 films and go from there.

Hence he will not be as old as Moore or older. 40 when cast might be the limit. Personally and ideally I'd say early to late 30s.

And most likely off the radar now.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I have the distinct feeling that EoN will cast a very young fella', 30-34 max. They will want to get a min of 5 films out of their next man.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Do the bookies know something we don't...

June 15th 2015

Bookmakers have slashed odds on Damien Lewis becoming the next James Bond after a flurry of large bets on the Homeland star.

William Hill now has Lewis as short as 6/4 to follow Daniel Craig as 007 amid speculation that forthcoming movie Spectre could be the 47-year-old’s final stint as the suave British spy. Lewis is now the favourite for the role ahead of Idris Elba, 42 (5/2), Tom Hardy, 37 (4/1), Henry Cavill, 32 (5/1) and Michael Fassbender, 38 (7/1).

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/16/damien-lewis-new-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-james-bond

This is also reported in The Mirror, Hollywood Reporter, Daily Mail

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/damian-lewis-tipped-become-next-802726
    “This is an unprecedented gamble, as for no apparent reason we have seen bets of up to £200 [$312] on Damian Lewis being named as the next Bond. This could well be significant and might herald the end of Daniel Craig as the world’s most famous spy,” said a spokesperson.

His age may go against him. Age 44. I wonder if this news/gossip is leading up to Craig announcing SPECTRE is his final Bond film? Perhaps he's won't commit to five Bond films. My gut feeling is Lewis won't replace Craig. A younger actor will be the next James Bond. That's my guess. My other guess is Daniel Craig will quit after SPECTRE. Just a feeling I've got.

ONE bookmaker has written something and everybody is jumping on the boat. Hilarious and Lewis on top. How ridiculous is that? This man is unattractive AND way too old.

As for DC and is 5th Bond? I am pretty sure, ALL of those, who will decide on that, will wait for Spectre to happen and see how it goes. Inc.luding DC himself.

So, I am pretty sre, this is what the article says - an attempt to generate column inches.
    There was a time when Jude Law and Hugh Grant were the bookies' favourite. They might as well pull a name from the London phone book.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    There was a time when Jude Law and Hugh Grant were the bookies' favourite. They might as well pull a name from the London phone book.

Well quite.
    Other 'bookies favorites' have included luminous suggestions such as:

Colin Farrell
    Ioan Gruffudd
    Ewan McGregor

'Nuff said.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sounds like Mr Lewis's agent has too much time on his hands.
    I am 6/1 with Bet Fred to get it. Next week it will be Eddie Murphy... and so on, its all just to sell newspapers, its because one book took Elba off as their favorite after he said that the oppertunity has now passed.