Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »
    Do people know how hard it is to create a franchise from scratch? I'm not saying it can't be done, but I also don't see a problem with non-white actors taking on the mantle of historically white fictional characters, while an effort is made to kick-start other cinematic franchises.

This year, we've had JW, a now 20 year old franchise. The Avengers, part of a franchise built on a literary heritage older than Bond. We have SW at the end of the year, a cinematic phenomenon stretching back nearly 40 years. You don't just create cinematic phenomenona overnight. The only genuinely big franchise that has sprung out of literally nothing is 'POTC'. Everything else is either something with an existing cinematic legacy, or a literary legacy propping it up. It's harder than ever in this day and age. What is possible is to encourage change in the wider existing phenomena. SW cast John Boyega. To me that's cool, and I hope he plays a big role in SW7 and beyond. I think more enormous pop culture franchises can and should do more to broaden their appeal. It's not about competing, it's about sharing and widening the scope of what is supposed to be entertainment.

@RC7, I think you've summed up above why we won't see a black Bond, at least not for a while. As you note, it's so damn difficult to create a sustainable franchise these days that no studio is going to take a risk with a black actor.

You mention Boyega. Fine, but that's not the same thing. Who the heck is he playing? Someone we don't know, who is being introduced from the beginning in a massive franchise. That is as 'safe' as it gets for a studio, while doing its bit for minority actors. Bond has done its bit with the casting of Felix and MP in their most recent iterations.

Now, what do we think the reaction would be if Boyega was cast as Hans Solo, or Luke Skywalker, or Anakin for that matter? It won't go down well imho, since those are already established white characters.

Bond is the longest running recurring franchise, and the only British one of the lot to boot. I don't think it's necessary to take that risk unless and until an actor pops up that is better than the other actors who can be cast in the role. As I said earlier, such an actor is not with us yet, but that's not to say he can't appear on the scene in a few years. Colin Salmon and Idris Elba are not those men imho.
    RC7 wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The 'world' may not be ready for a black James Bond.

The 'world' will never be ready for a black James Bond, because the 'world' is primarily a horde of vociferous individuals on either end of the social/political spectrum. This has been perpetuated and magnified to the extreme by social media. This will never subside.

The actual 'world', a middle-ground of level headed people, who don't feel that everyone is out to fuck them over, would more than likely make it a hit if it was a decent movie, irrespective of the actors race.

Sometimes things are done solely for creative progress, or even personal progress; You may sit around thinking about buying a car, a house, having a baby. There is no 'right' time to do it, you just have to take the plunge. From a creative standpoint, sometimes you just need to tip the status quo or you allow for the inevitable, prolonged and cyclical oppression of, potentially unique, ideas.

Not saying we 'have' to have a black Bond, just suggesting that mention of race, or gender, or sexuality when related to the traditional domain of the white man isn't always 'PC', there might be, heaven forbid, something original borne from the fires of hell!

Fully agreed, it could be a creative stroke of genius akin to the casting of short, blond, thuggish DC as JB. However, it's a needle in a haystack and as I'm sure you'll agree, it can and should only be done when the suitable candidate arrives on the scene.
    I never thought Craig looked thuggish. In fact wasn't he first criticized as too lanky.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I never thought Craig was thuggish. He pulls off the suave brilliantly and the box office results agree. 5 10 isn't short and what's wrong with Blonde (minor issue). A black Bond wouldn't work commercially anyhow and there is no suitable black candidate simpy because Bond is and always will be a 'white character' (ref Ian Flemings books and past films).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,138
    Why does skin color matter more than height, hair color, eye color, general appearance, nationality (Scottish vs English) etc?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727
    One can only hope that EoN continue to go for an edgy choice and don’t revert back to a mediocre actor who sells magazines (by being on the cover, of course).

DC was cast because he was a talented British actor, first and foremost. Which should also be the main criteria for his successor.

Add to that that he was physically able (far more athletic than Brosnan, even before the extra CR muscle), the right age and somewhat 'raw'. I never thought he came across as 'thuggish' - merely hard boiled. And Craig’s transformation from the CR press announcement (floppy hair and lightweight frame) to buff superspy in the actual film goes to show that we should not be ruling out any potential successors simply because they look too lanky or thin. Muscle can be cultivated in half a year – acting ability and presence cannot.

Cavill, who was also under consideration at the time, would have been a mediocre ‘safe’ choice. Little charisma and zero gravitas. Sure he’s tall, dark & dashing and he’d have acquired plenty of teenie followers, but the talent just wasn’t there. Just look at his work so far. There is nothing there that suggests he is a good actor, or will become one. Craig on the other hand had quietly built up a solid repertoire of challenging work, in which he demonstrated his talent.

So it is in such subtle, slightly obscure BBC and independent productions that we should be looking for that diamond in the rough, a confident young Brit between 25-32 or so right now, who will take over in 2020.
    I'm 100% with you @AceHole.

Re: my comments re: short, blond, thuggish Craig, I am referring to criticisms that were noted about him (including his somewhat blue collar, construction worker appearance it was said, relative to suave, debonair Brosnan) among his detractors.

I don't want to have to go down that path x 10 if a black actor is cast. I want my franchise to survive. The time is not right to cast a black actor as Bond and there is no necessity for it at present, with many suitable conventional candidates available. The time may never be right, as there will always be a big pool of suitable white candidates, given British tv drama's history of producing gems. However, a black actor should never be excluded from contention purely on the basis of his race (that would not be right), but when it comes down to the final decision, I am ok if the studio/EON decide behind the scenes not to cast him because of commercial viability. That is just business.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    You mention Boyega. Fine, but that's not the same thing. Who the heck is he playing? Someone we don't know, who is being introduced from the beginning in a massive franchise. That is as 'safe' as it gets for a studio, while doing its bit for minority actors. Bond has done its bit with the casting of Felix and MP in their most recent iterations.

Now, what do we think the reaction would be if Boyega was cast as Hans Solo, or Luke Skywalker, or Anakin for that matter? It won't go down well imho, since those are already established white characters.

But it's not that they're established white characters, it's that they are established characters who are portrayed by specific actors within an ongoing chronology. Changing Han to a black man for EP7 would be like changing Bond to black man halfway through SP. Starting a new chronology, with a new actor, such as Bond, allows for them to change gears and mix it up. The universe is the 'icon', so to speak, within that franchise, whereas 'Bond' is the himself the 'icon' within his. The same way Batman is an 'icon', or the 'joker' is an icon. You could cast a black man as the joker, for example, because you're not relying on a certain chronology, you're putting a new spin on the icon.
    Bond is the longest running recurring franchise, and the only British one of the lot to boot. I don't think it's necessary to take that risk unless and until an actor pops up that is better than the other actors who can be cast in the role. As I said earlier, such an actor is not with us yet, but that's not to say he can't appear on the scene in a few years. Colin Salmon and Idris Elba are not those men imho.

I agree it's a risk, but as I said in my previous post, the time is never right. That doesn't mean we need to do it, but if it is done people should look at whether it is a logical decision before throwing their toys out of the pram. I personally think Elba would have been excellent if he'd got the gig a few years ago. He has an elegance and charisma that beats DC for me.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I think so much has been made of it now over the Elba thing, that for EON to do it now will only be seen as positive discrimination. The media really took a lot of peoples opposing of Elba out of context and turned it in to racism. It suddenly became not about whether Elba was a good enough actor, and had the stature to be Bond. Instead it became about should their be a black Bond.

I think thats what Elba is most unhappy about. He feels his chances were ruined because he wanted to be Bond not Black Bond.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    If they did decide to go for a non caucasion actor David Harewood is more James Bond than Elba.

Re: my comments re: short, blond, thuggish Craig, I am referring to criticisms that were noted about him (including his somewhat blue collar, construction worker appearance it was said, relative to suave, debonair Brosnan) among his detractors.

I don't want to have to go down that path x 10 if a black actor is cast. I want my franchise to survive. The time is not right to cast a black actor as Bond and there is no necessity for it at present, with many suitable conventional candidates available. The time may never be right, as there will always be a big pool of suitable white candidates, given British tv drama's history of producing gems. However, a black actor should never be excluded from contention purely on the basis of his race (that would not be right), but when it comes down to the final decision, I am ok if the studio/EON decide behind the scenes not to cast him because of commercial viability. That is just business.

Why shouldn't an actor be excluded from contension based on race? If a new Blade film was to be made they would only consider black actors and rightly so (not racist, just how the character is and should always remain). The same goes for Bond, just visa versa.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Stan Lee and Marvel has a written contract that says Spiderman must always remain white and heterosexual, he cannot smoke, he must make his own costumes, he cannot deal drugs or torture his enemies.

Lee says he has no prejudice against blacks, smokers or gay people, but it is about preserving the character as he was envisioned.

Wonder what Fleming would have demanded if he had a similar contract with EON or IFP.
  • RC7RC7
    Stan Lee and Marvel has a written contract that says Spiderman must always remain white and heterosexual, he cannot smoke, he must make his own costumes, he cannot deal drugs or torture his enemies.

Which is odd, given that it is purely related to his on-screen persona. It makes him seem like a bit of a fool if you ask me. As creator (lets forget about Kirby, hey Stan) he's entitled to enforce such stipulations, but then why isn't it a blanket agreement?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 5,131

Lee says he has no prejudice against blacks, smokers or gay people, but it is about preserving the character as he was envisioned.

Wonder what Fleming would have demanded if he had a similar contract with EON or IFP.

Seems fair enough to me. The above is part of his characters persona/ identity and appearance. Good example. You need some rules and traditions....otherwise you get Ryan Reynolds cast as Axel Foley (or Edris Elba as 007 ha ha!).
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »

Seems fair enough to me. The above is part of his characters persona/ identity and appearance. Good example.

You don't think it's a little disingenuous that he's happy for Marvel to use a Hispanic Spider-man in the comics?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I didn't know that. But no, if he's happy for Marvel to use a Hispanic Spider-man in the comics he's gone against his rule and it's wrong (or stupid). A Hispanic Spider-man doesn't work either. It suggests, in this case, that Lee is not actually just protecting his character, but instead he maybe in fact racist/ homophobic (I take your point and agree).
    Not sure if Lee has much clout vis a vis Marvel Comics anymore. He sold out in the 70s I believe.
    Idris Elba is in itself enough reason to be against Idris Elba as James Bond. Not his race, not his age (although he is now too old), but his darn attitude towards the whole rumor. Arrogant, unpleasant, dismissive of Craig, overall unworthy. It's not like the role was his by right or that, like Brosnan, he was meant to play it but suddenly lost it (and even Brosnan was more elegant towards Dalton than Elba was).

I loved him as Stringer Bell in The Wire, he is a great actor. But as a person, I don't like him so much anymore.
    Elba is indeed a great actor and to honest (personally) I don't care about actors attitudes, just their abilities. He is also well dressed (publically) and has a 'cool' image generally. But, he doesn't look like Bond, because he is not white British.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139

Source? Never heard this before but I can see why though, as spider-man is and has always been Marvel's flagship character. But I suppose those terms are attributed to Peter Parker and not "spider-man".

It is from the leaked Sony e-mails. I read it on a Norwegian online news site, quoting Variety.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Why shouldn't an actor be excluded from contension based on race? If a new Blade film was to be made they would only consider black actors and rightly so (not racist, just how the character is and should always remain). The same goes for Bond, just visa versa.

I don't have a problem with a white Blade to be honest.

The thing about Bond, and Fleming in particular, is we will never know what his attitudes would have been had he been alive today. He was a product of his time....his era.....as we all are.

However, even he showed the ability to temper his views. he did not want Connery initially, but warmed to him, and even wrote Bond's part Scottish heritage into the novels after Connery got the part. I realize that's not the same thing, but none of us really know how Fleming, had he been alive today, would have felt about it.

To answer your question about why an actor should not be excluded from contention based purely on race - because I think that would be crossing the line in terms of discriminatory behaviour. Everyone should have a shot at the role, because the best actor could be black (unlikely purely based on numbers of candidates in contention though....).

At the end of the day, the whole question is moot anyway, because a black actor likely couldn't guarantee box office (the studio would always be afraid that some audiences would not embrace him in the role of Bond after being cast, and the risk would therefore be too great to take).

Re: Elba's behaviour regarding the Bond role - I don't think anything of it. I think he really knows he has absolutely no chance, and so he's hamming it up, winding the press up, and having some fun with it. No harm done.
    Blaming Daniel Craig was downright low.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Blaming Craig? Sounds like Elba was being facetious. Besides, I also don't see the big deal why Elba has so many people riled up, he was doing what so many people here are doing when posters are declaring SP is Craig's last, Cavill will get it better yet Fassbender should get it. Elba's a Bond fan and like many guys he'd love to be Bond but he has stated that he doesn't see it happening but if people keep bringing his name up and championing him for such a coveted role, he'd be smart to capitalise on the free pr and he has and its worked.
    He wasn't joking. I read an interview with Elba in Time and in some other press outlets that stated that Craig thought Elba should be the next Bond. That came directly from Elba. Pretty sure it is a totally false statement as I only read where Craig said there could well be a black Bond after him. Very different statement. Elba also was giving interviews last year stating that he had had "talks" with EON about Bond. I'm sure that is false. Maybe he was talking to them about a secondary role, not Bond, but he made it clear he was talking about Bond. Naomie Harris also gave numerous interviews last year when promoting her film with Elba where she touted Elba as the next Bond, stating that he and EON were already in discussion. Elba and Harris have been walking back these "in discussion" claims as I'd bet EON has let them know it ain't accurate. This isn't facetious stuff. It's normal to capitalize on good rumors, but being dishonest about it is another matter. It's what turned me off of Elba, and Harris.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Why couldn't Blade be white? He's a vampire hunter, right? How would his character change by changing his skin color? The reason that Shaft couldn't be played by a white actor is that being black is a central park of this identity. If you made him white the film suddenly doesn't make any sense.

There are characters whose race is incidental to their identity and characters for whom it's essential. For example, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner doesn't make sense if Sydney Pointier is white. Neither does In the Heat of the Night. But how would Hitch or Independence Day be different if Will Smith was white? I can't think of a single script change needed.

For Bond the essential aspects of his identity are his sexuality, his masculinity and his Britishness. That's why those things will never change. However nearly everyone agrees that eye color, hair color, height, GQ model looks and other things that may have traditionally be associated with Bond are incidental to his identity. Which is why someone like Craig who didn't fit the mold can play the character so well.

What no one has really done is explain why skin color falls into the former category, not the latter. Talking about what Fleming would have wanted or how its always been sounds a little like the father in Fiddler on the Roof crowing about "tradition!"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Blaming Craig? Sounds like Elba was being facetious. Besides, I also don't see the big deal why Elba has so many people riled up, he was doing what so many people here are doing when posters are declaring SP is Craig's last, Cavill will get it better yet Fassbender should get it. Elba's a Bond fan and like many guys he'd love to be Bond but he has stated that he doesn't see it happening but if people keep bringing his name up and championing him for such a coveted role, he'd be smart to capitalise on the free pr and he has and its worked.

He didn't sound facetious to me. Or when he self-promoted.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Exactly @thelivingroyale. I'm not sure if they actually intended that or not (station break really stood out for me) to pull in the American audiences, but I didn't appreciate it.

The sad thing is that most of the American audience doesn't care ..or maybe even notice. We want Bond to be as British as he can be. That's part of the mystique...

Worst ever was changing Licence Revoked to the generic Licence to Kill because fear the American audience wouldn't know what revoked meant ...really?

mcdonbb wrote: »
    Exactly @thelivingroyale. I'm not sure if they actually intended that or not (station break really stood out for me) to pull in the American audiences, but I didn't appreciate it.

The sad thing is that most of the American audience doesn't care ..or maybe even notice. We want Bond to be as British as he can be. That's part of the mystique...

Worst ever was changing Licence Revoked to the generic Licence to Kill because fear the American audience wouldn't know what revoked meant ...really?

Yes, the late 80's/90's/early 00's saw a pandering to US audiences by EON that was unacceptable in my mind.

It started with LTK (filmed in the US with primarily US actors - such irony given the US box office is what killed that film), and then continued throughout most of Brosnan's run, culminating with Halle in the DAD debacle.

Keep in mind that License Revoked was in fact focus group tested and the test audience did not understand what it meant, so there was some rationale for the decision to go with the more generic title they chose.

I'm not sure why this happened. It could have been:
    -a lack of confidence in Bond by EON, given declining box office receipts compared to the late 70s/early 80s, or
    -it could have been fear of the advent of American action heroes (e.g Willis, Gibson, Schwarzenegger, Ford etc.), or
    -it could have been American Michael Wilson's growing influence, or
    -it could have been at MGM's insistence, as they were increasingly depending on Bond to keep afloat and could not chance a North American box office failure.

I'm just glad that they dispensed with this nonsense when they rebooted, and I hope never to see it again.

I realize American audiences want Bond to be as British as can be......it's a pity no one told EON/MGM during that dark period. The only exception was GE, where all leads were European casted and which had less Americanisms.
    I far prefer LTK as a title as Licence Revoked which sounds bland. But anyway, most of the flaws of the film span from this desire to Americanize Bond. I often feel like it's a movie with a long Bond cameo, full of action movie tropes and cliches of the time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I prefer the title Licence to Kill as well. Since that term has been associated with the character.