Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 15,818
    I somehow don't feel they've screen-tested anyone else since Craig was cast, actually.
    Eon doesn't seem to be planning too far ahead , instead devoting their downtime to non-Bond projects.
    Screen-tested? No. Had talks? Yes.
    It was reported British actor Theo James auditioned for Bond... but the final paragraph of this item suggests it may have been a bogus claim.

July 24, 2016

Divergent star, Theo James is now not in the race to get cast as Bond in the next James Bond film.

There were earlier speculations on who would play the lead role in the upcoming James Bond film if Daniel Craig decided to quit the franchise. Around that time, several names of potential actors surfaced online that might get the chance to play the iconic role including Idris Alba, Nicholas Hoult and Theo James. But, now, Heat Street reported that James has not passed the audition.

The outlet further revealed that along with James, Turn star Jamie Bell also auditioned for the part but even his audition did not impress anyone. The alleged sources revealed to the outlet that Barbara Broccoli has signed Bell for another film, but when it came to the Bond film, Bell failed to impress everyone.

“Theo James impressed Eon by conveying a Bond aura with his Hugo Boss adverts but this didn’t translate into the audition and he’s now out of contention.”

Although one thing can be noted here, there is still no talk on future distributors for the Bond film, there is no official director announcement from the studio, so, in this case, the talk about screen tests and auditions does sound a little fishy. So, it looks like the report from Heat Street is nothing but a marketing stunt to boost one of the contender’s profile.

It does look like the reports from the online outlet are nothing but speculations as there is no solid proof behind their claims.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    It was reported British actor Theo James auditioned for Bond... but the final paragraph of this item suggests it may have been a bogus claim.

July 24, 2016

Divergent star, Theo James is now not in the race to get cast as Bond in the next James Bond film.

There were earlier speculations on who would play the lead role in the upcoming James Bond film if Daniel Craig decided to quit the franchise. Around that time, several names of potential actors surfaced online that might get the chance to play the iconic role including Idris Alba, Nicholas Hoult and Theo James. But, now, Heat Street reported that James has not passed the audition.

The outlet further revealed that along with James, Turn star Jamie Bell also auditioned for the part but even his audition did not impress anyone. The alleged sources revealed to the outlet that Barbara Broccoli has signed Bell for another film, but when it came to the Bond film, Bell failed to impress everyone.

“Theo James impressed Eon by conveying a Bond aura with his Hugo Boss adverts but this didn’t translate into the audition and he’s now out of contention.”

Although one thing can be noted here, there is still no talk on future distributors for the Bond film, there is no official director announcement from the studio, so, in this case, the talk about screen tests and auditions does sound a little fishy. So, it looks like the report from Heat Street is nothing but a marketing stunt to boost one of the contender’s profile.

It does look like the reports from the online outlet are nothing but speculations as there is no solid proof behind their claims.

The comment that Jamie Bell didn't impress anyone does add an element of credibility to that article. Smart writing if it's bogus.

Theo James was mentioned here some time back. He's someone I should keep an eye on.

EDIT: Apparently he was confirmed in 2016. I must have missed that. :D
    https://gossipandgab.com/107856/theo-james-confirmed-as-the-next-james-bond
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Idris Elba looks sad and genuinely honest when asked about Bond and he says
    "it's not gonna happen."

Question asked at 1 minute mark:

Elba is a cool cat. He's just having fun with the whole thing. It's not his fault that it keeps coming up and he's denied it so many times already.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    And he has said the John Luther is his James Bond.

Although this last season of Luther smacked of desperation at times, trying to be cool and cutting edge but ending up something of a mess.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    bondjames wrote: »
    Elba is a cool cat. He's just having fun with the whole thing. It's not his fault that it keeps coming up and he's denied it so many times already.

Actually he has stirred the pot himself numerous times, so there's that. Turner on the other hand has refused all of the times to comment on it when asked by the media. The wise thing to do.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

Actually he has stirred the pot himself numerous times, so there's that. Turner on the other hand has refused all of the times to comment on it when asked by the media. The wise thing to do.
    That's because Turner probably has a shot. Elba doesn't. He knows how silly it is, but he's not going to come out and say it, because there's a general cultural impetus for change, progressiveness and inclusion which has merits (no matter how ridiculous in this instance), which he probably doesn't want to shut down. Having his name in the mix for such a long time helps with that overall movement.

In the end at least he's not a grump. He's rolling with it. Playing with it. If people want to believe the impossible, that's their problem.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541

July 24, 2016

The comment that Jamie Bell didn't impress anyone does add an element of credibility to that article. Smart writing if it's bogus.

Theo James was mentioned here some time back. He's someone I should keep an eye on.

EDIT: Apparently he was confirmed in 2016. I must have missed that. :D
    https://gossipandgab.com/107856/theo-james-confirmed-as-the-next-james-bond

For once I got excited about Theo James when I heard of him back then, he is perfect for modern bond era.
    Idris Elba looks sad and genuinely honest when asked about Bond and he says
    "it's not gonna happen."

Question asked at 1 minute mark:

Hopefully this will finally stop the press from pedalling this tired old rumour once and for all.
    I think Elba could make a decent Felix.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I think Elba could make a decent Felix.

I concur wholeheartedly
    Let's not persist in saddling him with american roles. He's british damn it.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,294
    Do you think they've done screen-tests mid Craig-era? I'm not too familiar with this part of EON's way of doing things; if they have done screen tests over the last four-five years that's very positive.
    I can't be sure, but I think they did during the timeframe when Craig was dithering (pretty sure I read that somewhere). I've been surprised to read after the fact that they did screentests mid stream during the other actor's tenures, including Moore's and Brosnan's (I'm not sure about Dalton). It's only prudent, given uncertainties in life and the amount of $$ at stake.

We will know soon enough, and definitely once B25 is out next year, how far down the process they are. Although I have no factual basis, I have a feeling there are a lot more plans afoot than have been revealed. The thing about the rumour mill is that while it may not be entirely accurate, it generally gives some clues as to what's been happening. The past is the past. I believe we are in a new era for media and for this franchise post-B25, and the snippets about streaming and/or expanded universes suggest serious conversations are taking place about the future behind the scenes.

All good points. It's indeed prudent to screen test or at least meet a few actors, getting to know their thoughts about potentially starring as Bond – and their availability. It's like when director Morten Tyldum met up with EON some years back, and they wanted him to read a script, as well as knowing if he'd be available going forward. Nothing ever happened of course.

Guess there are a lot of talks behind the scene re. Bond's future. Would be strange if that didn't include the next actor. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in some of EON's meetings!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That I consider a smart move on his side. Even though he'll never be Bond, it keeps him in the picture, also of others who want to make movies in the same genre. In other words, it helped him keeping his status as a film star. It is in a way a huge compliment to the James Bond series.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,294
    In a way, I think it has kept both him and Bond in the picture. Don't think EON find that negative at all.

That I consider a smart move on his side. Even though he'll never be Bond, it keeps him in the picture, also of others who want to make movies in the same genre. In other words, it helped him keeping his status as a film star. It is in a way a huge compliment to the James Bond series.

And it's not like Idris Elba's movies are enough right now to keep his status as a film star.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »

And it's not like Idris Elba's movies are enough right now to keep his status as a film star.
    To my mind as a filmstar you can't get too much exposiure. You're a brand that needs selling. Getting connected to one of the oldest ones in the business, and well respected, hence only improves your status. Whatever we might think of it as viewers.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don’t know why, but I think Henry Cavill has a good chance to replace Daniel Craig as Bond #7.
    He’s probably not my preferred choice, but if history is anything to go by, Cavill narrowly lost out the part in CR. EON are known to sometimes cast an actor who’s screen tested previously. He also gained more experience and attained exposure with Superman and MI.
    Despite his apparent lack of acting ability, he does have a typical Bondian look to him. Wouldn’t be too hard to imagine him in the role. It certainly wouldn’t shock me if he was our next 007.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If they're going for a two-dimensional Bond, which is what I've been missing for quite sometime now, then yes, Cavill would be perfect. But, if they'll go down the road of more internal psychosis and exploring further of the character's inner conflicts whatsoever, then, they'll have to look elsewhere.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I expect the producers would seriously consider Henry Cavill. If they commit he'd do the same and look the part, be a fine ambassador to the Bond role, and it would be easy to mine greatness from him across 5 or more films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    He's my third choice behind Turner and Hardy.

He does seem to get more Bondian with age.

He reminds me of the Agent Under Fire incarnation of Bond a lot, as well as the one seen in the two graphic novel joint efforts by Andy Diggle and Luca Casalanguida. Should they adapt, and I hope they do, Hammerhead and Kill Chain on the screen, Cavill is the perfect Bond for that.

However, if they were to go something that harkens back to the Fleming Bond of old and relaunch the series with him just starting out in his career as a 00-agent a la Forever and A Day, Aidan Turner should be getting that part.

Still can't understand the fuss about Hardy. He's exactly like Idris Elba. A good actor, but no damn range to extend himself to the Bond image.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,090
    Still can't understand the fuss about Hardy. He's exactly like Idris Elba. A good actor, but no damn range to extend himself to the Bond image.

I disagree regarding Hardy. He has the ability to do refined well when called upon. And he has a magnetic appeal to audiences through his performances, from inception, to The Dark Knight Rises, to Venom.
    I disagree regarding Hardy. He has the ability to do refined well when called upon. And he has a magnetic appeal to audiences through his performances, from inception, to The Dark Knight Rises, to Venom.
    Saw Inception back in the day, and he just didn't do it for me. Craig, in his roughest form, is far better than anything Hardy does at his peak.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Though Hardy is a decent actor, I don’t think he’s the right actor to take on Bond. He likes versatility, and I can’t see him being a great ambassador for the James Bond brand.
    I don’t think he’d want to be potentially typecast in the role. Just don’t see it at all.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 11,425
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That's a coincidence,i thought about him the other day :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsIU0YW0y62yZnaGTdxUy4vnSLCfD5gxFVA86YRS8sC_NKq3L9zg

d810e57dd8f806f9fff4d55b60a352d3.jpg

2608c2a5884f60fb1253d16afe5bc7e0--classy-men-david-james-gandy.jpg

He looks a bit like Dalton in LTK in the middle picture
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Hardy is not Bond, please stop it now!

He's a great actor but Bond he is not and no even if Nolan got near Bond he'd have more sense to cast someone else. Its like when Vaughn mentioned doing Bond with Fassbender a few years back, if this happened in the future there is no way he'd cast him. Yes Fassy would have made a great Bond but that boat has sailed many years ago and Vaughn if he got a shot would be looking at a younger less famous candidate.

I also think Turner has more of a shot than Cavill, I bloody hope so anyway. I certainly don't want another Brosnan like Bond which is likely what we'll get with Henry.

Whereas Turner is a bit more mysterious looking, I think he could surprise me I'm not saying I'm on board but if it comes down to him or Cavill, give it to Turner.

As I said before we have no idea any of these guys would be great ambassadors, some of you have such hard ons for criticizing DC's so called not up to the job because he has said some questionable things in the role.

No other actor on the planet apart from those who've played the part have any idea what pressure this role brings, the expectation and Daniel has been through the mill more than most.

Anyone thinks the next guy is going to get it easier just because he fits what Bond looks like in your head is way off base.

Maybe certain factions of this forum will be soiling themselves and just lapping up the fact their choice made it but the big wide world it will be a different situation and the worlds press, internet and print will be looking for the slightest chink in their armour.

It's what they do and with this being the 2nd Bond in the history to be under the glare of the world wide web, they won't know what has hit them, then we'll see if Daniel wasn't up to the task of handling the pressures of the role that some of you seem to have decided.

No other role in the history of motion pictures compares to this and while it's a great honour to play Bond and the luxuries it affords you also have to realize you become public property and the whole world will want a piece of you.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I expect the producers would seriously consider Henry Cavill. If they commit he'd do the same and look the part, be a fine ambassador to the Bond role, and it would be easy to mine greatness from him across 5 or more films.

To be brutally honest, I don't think he has enough acting talent. Well, put it like this.... even if he can act to an acceptable standard I think it's debatable he can sustain it over a two hour length Bond film. He's sort of the British John Gavin - stiff! Having said that, if he did get the part and emoted, had some oomph I'll admit I was wrong. Henry Cavill has been in enough tv shows/films so we all know his style of acting, what he has to offer. It's not as if he's a new guy with unknown potential. We all know what he's like on screen.

I think Cavill may look good on screen but there has to be some substance. Is Henry Cavill in the Sean Connery/Roger Moore type league of charisma on screen? I can't see it! Not that the next Bond actor has to have that level of charisma, imho Craig doesn't and he's been accepted in the part. I think Bond has changed with the times and the old style Bond won't return, but even so, it's best to start out comparing any wannabe actor with the past Bonds just to get a vague idea of their potential.

I think most Bond fans would say Daniel Craig is a better or more accomplished actor than Henry Cavill? I reckon so.

Cavill's name keeps getting mentioned due his looks but what else has he got to offer? It looks as if DC/Warner Bros don't want him back as Superman. Were they that impressed with his acting? Debatable.

As for David Gandy, I don't think he's the next George Lazenby! (I thought Lazenby was a great Bond!) If Gandy is serious about pursuing the role, please get some acting lessons first. At least make the effort to go from model to actor. George Lazenby didn't but he was George! I'm pretty sure Mr Gandy said he didn't want to become an actor so I don't think he'll ever be considered. I can't see Babs picking a model with no formal acting training!