Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Richard Madden is no Bond

Is he not? That's that then.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hmmm I still look at Tom Hardy and think he would be very much like Connery in the role... and yet I seem to be the only one who think this perhaps I need to consult my Ocultist

:) You do, my friend, a very good ocultist. And while you're at it, you should also consult with an oculist.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    NicNac wrote: »

Is he not? That's that then.

Sometimes it's that simple ;)
    I will be bookmarking this page for future reference.

;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Richard Madden's star has increased dramatically following the Golden Globes!
    Surely, as will Elba's probably on account of his recent photo with Craig and due to the 5th season of Luther.

It's the way it goes with the bookies. There's a reasonable level of up and down and back and forth depending on how bets are placed. This generally follows these sorts of media plays and in turn feeds the rags with an article for a week or two.
    I'm reasonably sure he'll never get the role. There's likely to be a second season of Bodyguard anyway, given how successful the first was. He did look good at the show yesterday though.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318
    bondjames wrote: »
    Surely, as will Elba's probably on account of his recent photo with Craig and due to the 5th season of Luther.

It's the way it goes with the bookies. There's a reasonable level of up and down and back and forth depending on how bets are placed. This generally follows these sorts of media plays and in turn feeds the rags with an article for a week or two.
    I'm reasonably sure he'll never get the role. There's likely to be a second season of Bodyguard anyway, given how successful the first was. He did look good at the show yesterday though.

Indeed, Madden most likely will not become Bond and rightfully so. Idris annoys me to no end. The guy is too old and his attention wh*ring isn't doing him any favours either. Apart from the fact he's not caucasian like Bond is.

69b93de7f7_plaatjeelba.jpg?w=600&s=1e3ad1c2a17490e6f9af45a1db1ed5e8
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    That picture is awesome

I think Elba's star is already shining, and has been for a few years. Madden's Bodyguard and subsequent Golden Globe win has escalated his star status.

It would be unwise to suggest he isn't a contender for Bond. I think he is very much on the radar.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,112
    And Tom Hardy just had a smash hit with Venom,, which must mean he is in the fold as well.
    Idris is saying "come on, Dan, quit the role. I'm desperate!"

I think Elba's star is already shining, and has been for a few years. Madden's Bodyguard and subsequent Golden Globe win has escalated his star status.

It would be unwise to suggest he isn't a contender for Bond. I think he is very much on the radar.
    Perhaps. They will probably screentest him at the very least.

Indeed, Madden most likely will not become Bond and rightfully so. Idris annoys me to no end. The guy is too old and his attention wh*ring isn't doing him any favours either. Apart from the fact he's not caucasian like Bond is.

He's just having fun with the media. I don't think he was ever a real candidate, but he's played it for all it's worth.
    And Tom Hardy just had a smash hit with Venom,, which must mean he is in the fold as well.

This. Well put, Mendes.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

He is isn't he. Haha.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Perhaps. They will probably screentest him at the very least.

He's just having fun with the media. I don't think he was ever a real candidate, but he's played it for all it's worth.

It's getting very old and very repetitive, along with the denial schtick.

Edit: double post, sorry

All I was saying was that Madden's GG win has escalated his star status, which means that he will be bigger box office now than he was before. As a result he will be more on Eon's radar than he was before.

I'm not suggesting established stars like Elba and Hardy will suffer because of that, or that Madden is going to be Eon's first choice. Simply that Madden will join the ranks of front runners now.

I'll tell you someone who has no idea who the next Bond will be. Barbara Broccoli.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hmmm I still look at Tom Hardy and think he would be very much like Connery in the role... and yet I seem to be the only one who think this perhaps I need to consult my Ocultist

I presume your Occultist is Solitaire?
    I think it's important to keep in mind that Madden has been top of the bookie pile for some time during 2018. Ever since Bodyguard made a splash he has been a favourite, alternating with Elba. So I can't see how much higher his profile can increase, because his name has been associated with the role constantly since the series debuted.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that Madden has been top of the bookie pile for some time during 2018. Ever since Bodyguard made a splash he has been a favourite, alternating with Elba. So I can't see how much higher his profile can increase, because his name has been associated with the role constantly since the series debuted.

You forget one critical, highly critical word: bookies. Their word means nothing.

This. Wonder who'll be the Madden of 2019…
    I'll tell you someone who has no idea who the next Bond will be. Barbara Broccoli.

Who knows, maybe she does?

You forget one critical, highly critical word: bookies. Their word means nothing.
    True, but what it does is feed the press and raise an actor's profile and theoretical association with the role, no matter how unlikely in practice. My point is that Madden has had his 15 minutes and then some when it comes to Bond in 2018 already.

The next BBC thriller is usually where these names crop up ever year. I'm not sure what's in the pipeline for 2019.

Indeed. One never knows really.

The next BBC thriller is usually where these names crop up ever year. I'm not sure what's in the pipeline for 2019.

You're probably right about that.

I hope she and EON at least are looking at possibilities even though Craig has one more film to shoot. If only a list of names and some insight to these actors' schedules. Turner (as an example) probably has some more Poldark to do, but what happens after that?

I was just mentioning this photo on the other thread. I hope Elba at some point gets a villain role in a future film.

I think the sequence over the past few years has been Turner in 2015, Hiddleston in 2016, Norton in 2017 and Madden in 2018. 2019? We shall see.

I hope she and EON at least are looking at possibilities even though Craig has one more film to shoot. If only a list of names and some insight to these actors' schedules. Turner (as an example) probably has some more Poldark to do, but what happens after that?
    I'm sure they've done testing. They pretty much always do on an ongoing basis. It comes out after the fact. It's the prudent thing to do when you're responsible for a multi-$m franchise, because anything can happen.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I was just mentioning this photo on the other thread. I hope Elba at some point gets a villain role in a future film.

Hope so as well. I have no doubt he could be a great villain – and he would finally get the chance to play (in a) Bond (movie)!

Hope so as well. I have no doubt he could be a great villain – and he would finally get the chance to play (in a) Bond (movie)!

Ha. I'd be fine with that also. Voodoo revisited :)

Not gonna happen with his attitude. A shame, as I thought with a few more pounds he'd make a great Gallia (against a younger Bond).
    What if he had an attitude adjustment?

I think the sequence over the past few years has been Turner in 2015, Hiddleston in 2016, Norton in 2017 and Madden in 2018. 2019? We shall see.

Absolutely this. And Elba cropped up before Turner thanks to 'Luther', and Jamie Dornan thanks to 'The Fall'. It's a definite trend in BBC drama with no real basis in fact other than there is some random male hunk being watched by millions of women.

However, having watched all of those shows (other than Poldark, which I still saw bits of) I didn't see any actor who I thought could carry a huge film like a Bond.
    Only Madden suggested to me that he had a certain something about him.
    What if he had an attitude adjustment?

Fat chance.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,297

Yes, this sounds completely right. Just for fun, I'll rank these three* after who I'd prefer for Bond:

1. Turner – Looks the part, alright voice.
    2. Hiddleston – Could probably play a gentlemanly Bond.
    3. Madden/Norton – Don't see either getting the part; my issue with these two is Madden's height and Norton's voice. A Norton with a deeper voice would've ranked third alone.

*this is not my top three list by the way – just between these names.

I'm sure they've done testing. They pretty much always do on an ongoing basis. It comes out after the fact. It's the prudent thing to do when you're responsible for a multi-$m franchise, because anything can happen.

Do you think they've done screen-tests mid Craig-era? I'm not too familiar with this part of EON's way of doing things; if they have done screen tests over the last four-five years that's very positive.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Do you think they've done screen-tests mid Craig-era? I'm not too familiar with this part of EON's way of doing things; if they have done screen tests over the last four-five years that's very positive.
    I can't be sure, but I think they did during the timeframe when Craig was dithering (pretty sure I read that somewhere). I've been surprised to read after the fact that they did screentests mid stream during the other actor's tenures, including Moore's and Brosnan's (I'm not sure about Dalton). It's only prudent, given uncertainties in life and the amount of $$ at stake.

We will know soon enough, and definitely once B25 is out next year, how far down the process they are. Although I have no factual basis, I have a feeling there are a lot more plans afoot than have been revealed. The thing about the rumour mill is that while it may not be entirely accurate, it generally gives some clues as to what's been happening. The past is the past. I believe we are in a new era for media and for this franchise post-B25, and the snippets about streaming and/or expanded universes suggest serious conversations are taking place about the future behind the scenes.

Absolutely this. And Elba cropped up before Turner thanks to 'Luther', and Jamie Dornan thanks to 'The Fall'. It's a definite trend in BBC drama with no real basis in fact other than there is some random male hunk being watched by millions of women.

However, having watched all of those shows (other than Poldark, which I still saw bits of) I didn't see any actor who I thought could carry a huge film like a Bond.
    Only Madden suggested to me that he had a certain something about him.
    Good point about Elba and Dornan. I forgot about them.

I have not been impressed with Madden - I saw Bodyguard only recently and just couldn't fathom what the big deal was about him. I wonder if it was the central romance and theatrics which drew people in. The same goes for Norton, who I feel takes woodenness to a whole new level.

I personally think the others all have the necessary attributes - or at least as much if not more than Craig did prior to Bond. That includes Elba (although he won't be cast, and not because of his age but rather for more obvious reasons) and Dornan (despite his turn on 50 Shades). They have what it takes imho. With Bond it's the brand that lifts the whole thing to a whole other level. It's incredibly iconic.
    --

As predicted, there have been new bets for Elba since the famous selfie:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/film/james-bond-odds-flurry-bets-13825104