Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm sure there's something near. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are focusing on his singing career &celebrity status, guys.

No, we are staying sane, that s all.
    But the time will come when a potential Bond will be known to many of us as a child or teen performer,
    bondjames wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is wonderful, and very versatile - equally convincing as a transgender woman as a ruthless crime boss, and not one note as either. (Red Eye is just a very mediocre movie, btw, I wouldn't make any conclusions based on that. Every actor has those.) But he is indeed very slight in build for Bond, that might be an issue. Though then again, I don't remember thinking, "oh he's tiny" or something when watching Peaky Blinders. I could imagine it, yes, but... Plus he's 41 already, I think a new guy should preferably be younger when starting out. He's obviously much better than some suggestions, though, and I like him a lot as an actor.
    He's a very good actor, but he doesn't seem to have the presence of the big guns. DiCaprio and Hardy owned him in Inception, and Bale similarly in Batman Begins. He strikes me as a character actor rather than a lead.

Maybe. Some of that also has to do with what type of character he plays in a movie. Any opinions of, say, Peaky Blinders?
    I saw an old interview of Mendes at the SP premiere yesterday. He was asked about Craig and whether he would persuade him to return. Mendes said it was up to Craig, but also said something about the publicity and fame being a bit tough for him. He used the example of walking down the park or something along those lines, saying that he (Mendes) could do it, but Craig couldn't given 007 is always followed around.

I'm kinda sorry for Craig for that, though I don't know how bad it gets, hopefully not too bad. And I'm again happy that Bale didn't get the gig like you keep hoping he had. He likes to walk, and does, and from what I understand doesn't get hassled that much, an occasional pap and sometimes people asking for pics with him. Doesn't seem to be an actual problem or limit what he can do. If it does for Craig, that's unfortunate. Though it might also bother him more, even if it isn't that bad.
    Cillian Murphy would be an interesting choice. Very versatile actor and does the whole cool, charismatic badass thing very well in Peaky Blinders. He just doesn't look the part to me though. Maybe if he bulked up and had the right clothes, hair, etc, but at the moment I can't see it. He'd make a brilliant villain though (with Tom Hardy as Bond and Chris Nolan directing? A man can dream).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    talos7 wrote: »
    But the time will come when a potential Bond will be known to many of us as a child or teen performer,

When Bond 25 comes out in 2019, I"ll still be younger than Lazenby was in OHMSS, and I will also be 3 years older than the Styles if he were to be the new Bond that year.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Cillian Murphy is wonderful, and very versatile - equally convincing as a transgender woman as a ruthless crime boss, and not one note as either. (Red Eye is just a very mediocre movie, btw, I wouldn't make any conclusions based on that. Every actor has those.) But he is indeed very slight in build for Bond, that might be an issue. Though then again, I don't remember thinking, "oh he's tiny" or something when watching Peaky Blinders. I could imagine it, yes, but... Plus he's 41 already, I think a new guy should preferably be younger when starting out. He's obviously much better than some suggestions, though, and I like him a lot as an actor.
    He's a very good actor, but he doesn't seem to have the presence of the big guns. DiCaprio and Hardy owned him in Inception, and Bale similarly in Batman Begins. He strikes me as a character actor rather than a lead.

Maybe. Some of that also has to do with what type of character he plays in a movie. Any opinions of, say, Peaky Blinders?
    I haven't watched Peaky Blinders but have heard good things. It's on my list. As others have said he doesn't quite look all that Bondish (then again, I still don't think Craig really does), and as you said he's probably a bit too old to start a new run in 2019.
    Seriously, Styles? Of all the names mentioned on this thread...
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    True. We might as well mention Tom Holland. He wants it too (or so I've read).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

He has a lot of potential. Women under 30 love him.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 17,313
    True. We might as well mention Tom Holland. He wants it too (or so I've read).

Wow. Never even heard of the guy, and it turns out he's the new Peter Parker. Well, everybody is a candidate for Bond these days, aren't they?
  • All. Day. Long.

dam-online-style-Josh_Hartnett_1772.jpg

Ridiculous.
    I would rather have the plug pulled on B25 than another reboot in which 007 is an apprentice learning the ropes. A twenty something Bond to me screams origin re-boot.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I would rather have the plug pulled on B25 than another reboot in which 007 is an apprentice learning the ropes. A twenty something Bond to me screams origin re-boot.

Of course it does. I can't imagine anyone would want that.
    All. Day. Long.

Who is this dude? Josh Harnett? Surely you can't be serious!
    Josh H about 20 years ago as well
    talos7 wrote: »

When Bond 25 comes out in 2019, I"ll still be younger than Lazenby was in OHMSS, and I will also be 3 years older than the Styles if he were to be the new Bond that year.

Playing Devil's advocate with the Styles casting, true about a 2019 release but add 3 years to that for a 2022 release for Bond 26 and he will be 28, a great age for a fledgling agent.

Craig is at the moment the default candidate for me. At 51 he'll be a bit too old for Bond but I'm not convinced by any of his potential successors. I'm all for bringing new blood but casting a veteran actor in his 40s famous from another franchise (or more!) is not exactly my idea of new blood. And yes there was Roger Moore but it was a different time and circumstances.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    agreed @Ludovico
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Craig is at the moment the default candidate for me. At 51 he'll be a bit too old for Bond but I'm not convinced by any of his potential successors. I'm all for bringing new blood but casting a veteran actor in his 40s famous from another franchise (or more!) is not exactly my idea of new blood. And yes there was Roger Moore but it was a different time and circumstances.

RwiWkg5.jpg

Case in point: Craig himself, 10 years ago. Change is always good.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    It will be Craig. They wait for Mendes to direct Spectre! They will wait for Craig to headline Bond 25 as they know it will be his last, and I believe that will play massively in the campaign when they market it!

And then Nolan Bond 26?

With what we know now? It is fair to say it's possible having admitted he has met the producers?!
    Ludovico wrote: »

RwiWkg5.jpg

Case in point: Craig himself, 10 years ago. Change is always good.

Not if it's merely cosmetic. And I already said it's a default position, according to the speculations here.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    All. Day. Long.

Completely serious. I read that Mendes had already spoken to Michael G. Wilson about him because of their association on Penny Dreadful. Historically the producers select an actor who's not necessarily a global star but who is well known and Hartnett fills that brief. He's a solid actor with the right amount of broodiness and hard-edged good looks and could handle the energetic nature of the films these days. He has strong links to the UK now and is actually a Bond fan.
    He would be my choice.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    He's not British. So no.
    That is not the problem.
    All. Day. Long.

Completely serious. I read that Mendes had already spoken to Michael G. Wilson about him because of their association on Penny Dreadful. Historically the producers select an actor who's not necessarily a global star but who is well known and Hartnett fills that brief. He's a solid actor with the right amount of broodiness and hard-edged good looks and could handle the energetic nature of the films these days. He has strong links to the UK now and is actually a Bond fan.
    He would be my choice.
    Perhaps he could play a future Felix? I don't see him as Bond though. A bit too much of a swashbuckler.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If Hardy did one day become James Bond, wouldn't it be funny if his reveal to the camera came when a bag was lifted from over his head?

Sean Bean always dies in his movies/shows, and Hardy always has his face covered, so wouldn't it be cool to finally have his face "revealed" to kick off the Bond era? :)
    If Hardy did one day become James Bond, wouldn't it be funny if his reveal to the camera came when a bag was lifted from over his head?

Sean Bean always dies in his movies/shows, and Hardy always has his face covered, so wouldn't it be cool to finally have his face "revealed" to kick off the Bond era? :)

No.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hardy looks like he should play Andrew Dice Clay in a biopic. Not James Bond.