Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I love what Nolan did with Batman but not sure I'd like him to direct a Bond movie and certainly not the same way. But what make people think he'd go the Batman route with Bond, with a trilogy and all?
    It's normal for people to extrapolate based on what's been done in the past. It's also rather simplistic, and more likely to be incorrect when making such assumptions about real creative types like Nolan, because they have a tendency to innovate & to be unpredictable.

I understand but it is a silly assumption.

And although I know nothing about Lowden and think he's too young I'm glad some people are suggesting actors not pushing 40 already.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Chris Nolan endorsing Tom 'not that tall' Hardy means Nolan doesn't care about height. Does this prove Nolan doesn't 'get' Bond!

%C2%A3%C2%A3-Short-and-Tall-Businessmen.jpg

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    In a lot of ways Christopher Nolan is a more improved version of Sam Mendes, and Tom Hardy is like a more improved version of Daniel Craig. If they wanted to carry Bond on without making a big splash, that switch from one partnership to the next would be the smoothest ever. Just hand Nolan the keys, and go back to standalone missions. It wouldn't need any explaining, I think the general feel would still be there, just more improved. The Spy genre is one of the few that Nolan is yet to dip his toes into, so I think it will happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Benny, I remember Tom Cullen from Downton Abbey. He made an impression, but in terms of alumni from that show, these two are also top of mind:

Rob James-Collier (has a bit of the devious in him):
    dI45QBi.jpg

Dan Stevens (sure to bring in the ladies):
    Pb1vsK7.jpg

On a related note, I just came across this online. Hilarious. Watch closely. Loki being a naughty boy. She doesn't seem to mind:
    Not sure about Stevens bringing in the Ladies. I didn't know, who the prince in Beaity was and was really disappointed about someone so bland and forgettable. But might just be me.
    In General I don't think Bond should be a blonde Softie. DC at least is nowhere near soft, so it works...
    @Germanlady, my apologies. I shouldn't have presumed to speak generally for ladies in my earlier post. He's certainly on the slick and smooth side, but may not be for everyone.
    Which goes for them all. As we know, taste differs. I just thought, you guys wouldn't want someone, who is more romantic comedy material AND blonde. Pierce at least was on the darker side lookwise. IMO hair color doesn't matter, but Bond should exude manly intensity.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Which goes for them all. As we know, taste differs. I just thought, you guys wouldn't want someone, who is more romantic comedy material AND blonde. Pierce at least was on the darker side lookwise. IMO hair color doesn't matter, but Bond should exude manly intensity.
    Yes, I agree, but it's all a question of degree for me. I personally don't need Craig level intensity in James Bond, but I would prefer a little more alpha than Brosnan was able to normally bring (irrespective of his hair colour).

Rather than purely look, I think it's also about height, presence, voice, confidence, refinement, insouciance & a certain roguishness. Acting ability can bring most of that out, but it must appear effortless as well and that's tricky. I think it helps if the actor inherently has some of these attributes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    21CD901900000578-3576087-_Cillian_Murphy_s_cheekbones_deserve_their_own_spin_off_series_P-a-36_1462489018477.jpg
  • Cillian Murphy would make a fantastic Bond villain—just as he made a fantastic Batman villain—but I don't read him as Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I can definitely see him as Bond. Not based on that picture, however.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 6,844
    He would make for an interesting, darker, perhaps slightly more eccentric, more psychotic kind of Bond (perhaps LTK Dalton pushed fully over the edge), but the biggest problem is his size. He's a pretty small guy. He's 5'9" (I know, only an inch shorter than Craig), but he's a very slight, thinly-structured 5'9". I don't mind Bond being the comparatively skinny guy getting thrashed around by hulking Oddjobs and Jawseses, but Murphy would be snapped in two.

Could he bulk up like Craig? Maybe. He's never done it for a role before. Some guys have body structures and metabolisms that simply don't let them bulk up though. Just from looking at him, I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy was one of them.

f0fb546055ba6ec644009159ed9c0e4f.jpg
    Nope.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    negative. he's indeed too small, and lacks presence. He managed to overcome tht as villain by beeing intensely bad, but you can't do that as Bond. Bond should after all be a bit bland as well. Forgetteable.
    negative. he's indeed too small, and lacks presence. He managed to overcome tht as villain by beeing intensely bad, but you can't do that as Bond. Bond should after all be a bit bland as well. Forgetteable.
    I fully agree. He played a villain in the film Red Eye which was set on a plane so he couldn't overdo the intensity thing (public space and all that). He ended up being anything but menacing, and Rachel McAdams (who he was supposed to be terrorizing) walked all over him.

Seeing that photo above brings back great memories of a classic, and makes me want Bale for just one 'reset' film with Nolan. A terrible missed opportunity imho.
    Cumberbatch.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nope.
    Nope.

CuCumberbatch ?
    Nope
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Nope

DC ? :)
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Aidan Turner. ;)

u0j_67.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    At this rate, I'm fairly certain a large number of fans will be disappointed with the casting of the next Bond
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    jake24 wrote: »
    At this rate, I'm fairly certain a large number of fans will be disappointed with the casting of the next Bond

I agree. Of all of the names discussed I think Fassbender would be the most broadly accepted.

talos7 wrote: »

I agree. Of all of the names discussed I think Fassbender would be the most broadly accepted.

Agreed. Perhaps with the regular audiences as well? Luke Evans is still one of my personal favourites for the role, but an unlikely casting.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Any actor that has got the first six months free in 2019 - you have a chance. Just send your acting CV to Babs! And don't forget to send her some chocolates too. She loves Milk Tray. Good luck Bond wannabes!

please-pick-me-zi427a.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If Daniel Craig isn't coming back in 2019 for Bond 25, then you can bet that EON has a short list, and is potentially looking at candidates for Bond #7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Any actor that has got the first six months free in 2019 - you have a chance. Just send your acting CV to Babs! And don't forget to send her some chocolates too. She loves Milk Tray. Good luck Bond wannabes!

Rocket Raccoon as Bond?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Yep. I mean there are even a surprising amount of people on social media that don't even want Craig to return. People will never be happy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    fanbond123 wrote: »

That guy looks as bad as most others suggested here.