Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    cwl007 wrote: »
    BondJasonBond006 has it right. As I said a few pages back it will be Dan Stevens. Ideal as the next Bond after Craig (which willl be Bond 26). It had better be anyway, I have £100 at the bookies on it.

I think this could be a fairly safe bet; with Beauty and the Beast his profile is just about right, he's known but not too famous.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,127
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In ten or twenty years when the tech is perfected. will it be such a bad idea to have a cgi Connery?

Yes, it will be.
    Agreed. I suppose one day it will be inevitable, when they perfect the technique. They are a long way from it at the moment however, but I'll concede that this technology improves exponentially (Moore's Law is the term I think). I can assure you that in a decade or so we will look back at the ending of Rogue One and cringe at CGI Leia, because it's completely soulless & they will have improved version 2.0's and further. I suppose Disney could superimpose one of those newer improved creations on later film copies (like Lucas did by switching out Shaw for Christensen).

We'll all be obsolete at some point though. Rise of the Machines will soon be upon us.

It'll be a long, long time before a CGI character plays a leading man in a Hollywood blockbuster, let alone Bond. For starters, who's going to market the film? It's an important role and star's travel all around the globe signing autographs, attending conventions etc.
    I certainly hope so. However, with a CGI actor the production costs are much lower. So marketing costs don't have to be that high either. It's troubling to see that some of the top worldwide grossers every year don't have any real actors on screen any more (I'm referring to all the kiddie films that Disney or Universal put out like Minions etc).
    Snow White was the highest grossing film of 1937, and Bambi in '42 and Cinderella in '50. We've always had highly successful animated films, but so far the hand drawn actors have yet to replace the real ones.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In ten or twenty years when the tech is perfected. will it be such a bad idea to have a cgi Connery?

Yes, it will be.
    Agreed. I suppose one day it will be inevitable, when they perfect the technique. They are a long way from it at the moment however, but I'll concede that this technology improves exponentially (Moore's Law is the term I think). I can assure you that in a decade or so we will look back at the ending of Rogue One and cringe at CGI Leia, because it's completely soulless & they will have improved version 2.0's and further. I suppose Disney could superimpose one of those newer improved creations on later film copies (like Lucas did by switching out Shaw for Christensen).

We'll all be obsolete at some point though. Rise of the Machines will soon be upon us.

It'll be a long, long time before a CGI character plays a leading man in a Hollywood blockbuster, let alone Bond. For starters, who's going to market the film? It's an important role and star's travel all around the globe signing autographs, attending conventions etc.
    I certainly hope so. However, with a CGI actor the production costs are much lower. So marketing costs don't have to be that high either. It's troubling to see that some of the top worldwide grossers every year don't have any real actors on screen any more (I'm referring to all the kiddie films that Disney or Universal put out like Minions etc).
    Snow White was the highest grossing film of 1937, and Bambi in '42 and Cinderella in '50. We've always had highly successful animated films, but so far the hand drawn actors have yet to replace the real ones.
    All true, but this is becoming more prevalent these days, and as I said in my original post on this, Moore's Law applies. We are about to enter an era of robots and once it hits, everything will change very fast & exponentially, like it did when the iphone came out. I don't think actors will become obsolete necessarily, but their role will change. It already has, with far fewer making the top $. It's become more concentrated at the top.
    It may not be in out lifetimes but there will be a day where a CG actor that is indistinguishable from a flesh and blood performer will be possible.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »
    BondJasonBond006 has it right. As I said a few pages back it will be Dan Stevens. Ideal as the next Bond after Craig (which willl be Bond 26). It had better be anyway, I have £100 at the bookies on it.

I think this could be a fairly safe bet; with Beauty and the Beast his profile is just about right, he's known but not too famous.

I hope not. Terrible choice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agreed. It won t happen.

I can definitely see them casting Hardy, though.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    At the risk of causing trepidation for some and ecstasy for others, I just came across this recent post about Turner. Newsweek (which is the apparent source of the report) is not known for idle chatter. Not sure how recent this 'meeting' is and whether it is just clickbait:

http://www.celebeat.com/articles/25230/20170501/aidan-turner-james-bond-poldark-season-3-star-possibly-meeting-with-007-producers-daniel-craig-leaving-for-good.htm
    At the risk of causing trepidation for some and ecstasy for others, I just came across this recent post about Turner. Newsweek (which is the apparent source of the report) is not known for idle chatter. Not sure how recent this 'meeting' is and whether it is just clickbait:

http://www.celebeat.com/articles/25230/20170501/aidan-turner-james-bond-poldark-season-3-star-possibly-meeting-with-007-producers-daniel-craig-leaving-for-good.htm

That's interesting,and you are right,Newsweek are not gossipers...

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @Mendes4Lyfe is going to have a field day haha!
    doubleoego wrote: »

God help us all !!!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

He would've replied by now, but he saw the news and had a mini heart attack from the excitement, I'm sure.

He would've replied by now, but he saw the news and had a mini heart attack from the excitement, I'm sure.

That could very likely be the case haha. He'll soon come around to grace us with all his overzealous pontificating.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    dalton wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @dalton , agreed, Turner's just a very competent TV actor; nothing screams of a personality that is bigger than the small screen (a la Bruce Willis, or even PB)...

He doesn't appear as if he can carry this storied franchise on his shoulders.

Agreed.

I didn't watch Willis on TV or even Brosnan, but you could tell with Brosnan when he was doing smaller movie roles like Mrs. Doubtfire that there was star quality there. Even while on screen with such big names like Robin Williams and Sally Field, Brosnan commanded your attention. I just don't see that with Turner. I hope he goes on to a long and prosperous career doing TV, or maybe even movies if he chooses to do so, but I just don't want to see him play James Bond.
    Mrs Doubtfire wasn't really a small role for Brosnan. In actual fact, it was Brosnan getting a second chance at starring in a major Hollywood movie with a proper A-list actor in the shape of Robin Williams, rather than being confined to shite movies such as Taffin, The Deceivers, Night Train, Mr Johnston, Live Wire, Victim of Love, and Entangled, all movies that had pretty much buried Brosnan from the public consciousness until Bond came calling after Mrs Doubtfire rose his stock. Sadly, Brosnan didn't command any attention in those movies I mentioned, and I doubt that you've even watched any of them. My point is, it's easy to pour cold water over any B-list actor's work until you've actually watched the end results of how they'd tackle Bond as an A-lister.

PS. This Turner story is an old story lifted from Newsweek over a year ago, which got the story from The Sun. I don't know why Celebeat are rerunning the old story again as if it's breaking news?
    Thanks for clarifying re: the Celebeat Turner rumour @bondsum. It seemed strange that he was suddenly back in the mix, although I wouldn't rule him out entirely either.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Orlando Bloom has thrown his hat in the ring saying in an interview that he would like to be Bond. Any thoughts? He wouldn't be a name I would necessarily think of but just throwing it out there for response. (Have a gut feeling I should have posted this in the 'controversial' thread but you never know)
    Orlando Bloom's greatest claim to fame (imho) was getting Miranda Kerr to marry him.

He has an action thriller called Unlocked coming out later this year, so we can see if he has the capacity to play Bond. From my perspective, he doesn't.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bloom comes across as too soft and pretty to be a Bond. But he's a dam sight more suitable than other names I've seen on here.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    No to Bloom.
    Agreed
    Yes to Bloom.
    A big NO to Bloom.
    Mr Bloom was all at sea for a moment, seeing the others evidently eavesdropping too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bloom was also mentioned in 2005. It was laughable then, and I still can t see it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Wasn't that the Pirates' guy played away by Depp?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bloom was also mentioned in 2005. It was laughable then, and I still can t see it.
    +1
    Orlando Bloom's greatest claim to fame (imho) was getting Miranda Kerr to marry him.

He has an action thriller called Unlocked coming out later this year, so we can see if he has the capacity to play Bond. From my perspective, he doesn't.

As long as he has pointed ears, Orlando Bloom can act.
    Ludovico wrote: »

As long as he has pointed ears, Orlando Bloom can act.
    Haha. I agree, that was probably his best role and where he made the most notable impression.
    I will take Bloom over Turner and I am not kidding
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Never got why Turner gets so much hate when he fits Bond like a glove. I think maybe people think of him in a Craig film, which is unfair. I mean, how would Craig cope in a Peirce Brosnan film for instance? Unless the film is tailored to the particular actor then you aren't really doing them justice. Just remember that once Craig hangs up the tux for good, the films will experience a similar leap like they did between 2002 - 2006.
    Never got why Turner gets so much hate when he fits Bond like a glove. I think maybe people think of him in a Craig film, which is unfair. I mean, how would Craig cope in a Peirce Brosnan film for instance? Unless the film is tailored to the particular actor then you aren't really doing them justice. Just remember that once Craig hangs up the tux for good, the films will experience a similar leap like they did between 2002 - 2006.

I agree 100%; while I'm not as vocal, but then who is, Lol, I think Turner would be perfect in the role. With that said, I do think being a bit older would benefit Turner so Craig coming back for one more would not be a bad thing.