Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I haven't seen Remember Me, @DaltonCraig007, and so can't comment. My point on GE is that the entire supporting cast was extremely confident (unbelievably so). Their confidence was bursting out of the screen and it was a beautiful thing to behold. In that company, Brosnan seemed relatively unsure of himself. Having said that, he carried himself well enough in GE because he played a 'strawman' Bond. A sort of amalgam.

In TND and TWINE I thought he was finding his feet. He was more of the GE type character in the earlier half of TND, but once he hits Vietnam/Thailand, something changes, and not for the better. I can't put my finger on it. I think you know my opinion of his work in TWINE (not good).

I agree that they shouldn't have given him those dramatic scenes in his films. Not only was he not able to carry them (a tendency to overact imho), but they came across somewhat cheesy. If those sap scenes weren't in his films, I'd look on his overall tenure more positively, even though it was somewhat predictable and pastiche.

One of the reasons I like GE so much is because Brosnan underplays it, which for his tenure was very unusual. That's how Bond should be played imho. If he had been a little more confident/assertive I would easily rate it as a top 10 Bond performance.

Brosnan is best as an actor in my view when he can let his hair down (like in the Tailor of Panama or November Man). The problem with Bond is one must operate within a sort of straightjacket. The acting must be subtle. I'm not quite certain Brosnan could have done that, but he did show a lot of promise in DAD, which is why it's somewhat unfortunate that his tenure was cut short.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I very much agree, @bondjames. A high-point in his era, IMO, is that little dry smirk Brosnan makes when Trevelyan tells him 'You're supposed to die for me' in the Statue Park. Brosnan is extremely charismatic, and they should have played more on that aspect of him, like that little moment in the Statue Par, instead of the poorly written dramatic scenes that he couldn't carry (and it seems he wasn't given any kind of direction on how to tackle these scenes). I am not saying Brosnan can't do serious (he showed in GE he can), but he just can't carry poorly written 'dramatic' scenes. He may have the 'it' factor but he can't turn bad stuff into gold like Moore could do.
    We're on the same page @DaltonCraig007, and the scene in the Statue Park is a perfect example of what I expected from Brosnan when he was cast as Bond (I was a huge advocate for him in the role and didn't care too much for Dalton at the time). That's the kind of restrained subtlety that he showed in parts of GE which I wanted to see more of during his tenure.

Campbell really needs to be brought back, even as an advisor, when they cast the next Bond actor. He really knew how to bring the natural best out of both Craig and Brosnan within the confines/straightjacket of the character that is 'film' James Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »
    A Bond actor really needs to bring an extension of their personality to succeed imho.

It's an interesting idea... But I don't know if I agree.

Do you feel like that about acting in general? If you do, then... really - you feel actors can only really succeed when they play roles in which they can play extensions of their personalities? I mean, actors are supposed to be acting, anyway, not "play themselves" - even if it's "extension" and not exactly themselves. Isn't it about acting talent and suitability for a role? (No actor is great at everything and suitable for any role.)

And if not, then... really - why is Bond so different from any other role? I just can't believe it somehow is.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    A Bond actor really needs to bring an extension of their personality to succeed imho.

Do you feel like that about acting in general? If you do, then... really - you feel actors can only really succeed when they play roles in which they can play extensions of their personalities? I mean, actors are supposed to be acting, anyway, not "play themselves" - even if it's "extension" and not exactly themselves. Isn't it about acting talent and suitability for a role? (No actor is great at everything and suitable for any role.)

And if not, then... really - why is Bond so different from any other role? I just can't believe it somehow is.
    I only really feel that way about James Bond, but perhaps that view can extend to other famous and long running multi-actor film characters as well, like Bruce Wayne.

These are strong male personas. Heroes. Rebels in way as well. So the key attribute that must shine through in the performance (in these instances) is confidence. It must be natural. The other key attribute is authenticity. It cannot be forced, because heroes by their nature are genuine.

So in order to succeed in an interpretation, I think it is preferable if an actor can play up a part of their own inherent persona, because the authenticity of that aspect will then allow other aspects of the performance to also be more credible. A sort of 'halo' effect, if you will, which will carry through.

Generally though, no, I don't think that of acting in general. Just when considering long running franchise heroes that have well defined characteristics (confidence and strength) in the public's mind. Especially when those roles have been played by many actors in the past.
    There is a difference between being a great actor from a technical perspective (Gene Hackman for example) and someone who can bring a sense of stardom to the screen. Many of the big Hollywood stars were very limited in their roles as they brought so much of themselves to the screen. They were loved by the audience for their presence on the screen. James Stewart for example. And, perhaps, even Tom Hanks? He is a good actor but look at the characters he plays. There are common threads running through his roles. When does he play the bad guy, for example?. Stars can act different emotions but great actors become other people. (DeNiro for example), we can have a long discussion about PB's talents but he is very restricted.
    @patb, I was thinking of Hanks when I read your previous post about McQueen and Eastwood. I agree completely. Hanks is a bona fide movie star, but he has an 'everyman' hero quality rather than a tough guy quality. You almost know in advance that you will be watching an 'ethical' character when you see a Hanks film.

Cruise in my opinion is a 'great' because he has that star quality but has also shown that he can morph into more serious roles where he gets lost in the character.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames add Mel Gibson and Liam Neeson to that list. Those guys can turn random action/revenge flicks into extremely entertaining films.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @doubleoego and @bondjames The only actor I can think of in the last 10/20 years who seems to be made from the Connery 'mould' - very classy, suave, manly and effortlessly cool - is Denzel Washington. When I rewatched a few of his films recently, I noticed he seems to bring some of his own mannerism and ticks, whether for fictional or historical characters. Even for that new drama film of his, 'Fences', he doesn't seem to act, he makes all his line deliveries seem natural, effortless. But even then, Denzel is very far from Connery. Sean was one of a kind.
    I'm with you there @DaltonCraig007. I had mentioned a few years back (on this thread I think?) that Denzel is one of the few actors out there who I think could play the first 'black Bond'. The man is super cool naturally and can do anything he wants to. An extremely versatile actor.

One of my big regrets was not seeing him live on Broadway in 2014 when he was doing an adaptation of A Raisin in the Sun. I had tickets and was all set for it, but unfortunately work priorities kept me in Canada and I couldn't make the trip. Fortunately, I got a refund from the Theatre.

If you've not seen Crimson Tide, I highly recommend it. Two legends (Washington and Hackman) square off in a submarine. Great stuff.

Agreed with both of you. Denzel is an acting beast. Some of his performances are beyond captivating and @bondjames was spot on with crimson tide. He and Hackman going at it was a masterclass showing. Then we have performances in American gangster, Training Day, John Q, Malcolm X, Glory, Man on fire, devil in a blue dress and the hurricane. He has that natural effortless it factor. A real smooth mutha and can flip out in a rage while still being cool. What a guy.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 676
    I don't know anything about his personal life or anything of sorts but I suspect Craig, in real life, isn't someone to mess with. He has this anger type of thing that makes him sort of not a man to play games with, either. Tough feller.
    This is what I like about Craig. He looks like a tough customer and he looks like he's done some hard living.

I don't think Bond should look or act like a breezy playboy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Milovy wrote: »
    I don't know anything about his personal life or anything of sorts but I suspect Craig, in real life, isn't someone to mess with. He has this anger type of thing that makes him sort of not a man to play games with, either. Tough feller.
    This is what I like about Craig. He looks like a tough customer and he looks like he's done some hard living.

Breezy Playboy? No. But, thuggish, tough, manly yet suave and cool? Definitely yes.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Milovy wrote: »

Breezy Playboy? No. But, thuggish, tough, manly yet suave and cool? Definitely yes.

I've heard a lot of people on here use it, but I've never liked the word 'thug' to describe Bond. The opening chapter of GF suggests...

'It was part of his profession to kill people. He had never liked doing it and when he had to kill he did it as well as he knew how and forgot about it. As a secret agent who held the rare double-O prefix—the licence to kill in the Secret Service—it was his duty to be as cool about death as a surgeon. If it happened, it happened.

That, to me, does nothing to suggest Bond is what I'd define as a 'thug'. I've always been of the opinion that Bond can be reckless when up against it, but is otherwise professional and pretty calculating. Not thuggish.
    I suppose it's a newly unofficial reformation of the word that actually would refer to the rough behaviour. Sort of a slang online. Other than that, I'm in full agreement.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    patb wrote: »
    There is a difference between being a great actor from a technical perspective (Gene Hackman for example) and someone who can bring a sense of stardom to the screen. Many of the big Hollywood stars were very limited in their roles as they brought so much of themselves to the screen. They were loved by the audience for their presence on the screen. James Stewart for example. And, perhaps, even Tom Hanks? He is a good actor but look at the characters he plays. There are common threads running through his roles. When does he play the bad guy, for example?. Stars can act different emotions but great actors become other people. (DeNiro for example), we can have a long discussion about PB's talents but he is very restricted.

And i think both types of actors are needed. It all depends on what the movie calls for

I do think the actors who can change accents and make a real transformation like Daniel Day Lewis are in general better actors as a whole but the actors who bring their personality and charisma tend to be more entretaining to watch.

About what @BondJames and. @DaltonCraig said about Pierce i disagree on some parts.

Yes Pierce did great the more suave and cool Bond and agree thst Time helped in hos confidence but i disagree of him not being good in the dramatic scenes or better said emotional scenes.

I think he did great in the scenes where he finds Paris death, killing Dr Kaufman and waiting for someone from Carver get to his hotel room that's just in Tomorrow never dies.
    In the world is not enough i think he did great in his first confrontation with Renard, when he comes back from that buncker and uses a very different tone towards elektra.

Actually that scene with elektra reminds me a bitt to From Russia with love when Bond interrogates Tania after Karim dies.

So i think Pierce was equally good with serious and more fun material, he did have that it factor to play Bond

• edited September 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Hiddleston is BACK in the press again in a big bad way...it's pretty clear that Tommy H thinks 2016 is going to be his big year. In all fairness, to him he is milking it for all it's worth - more power to him. This guy is desperate to get on the A-list.

He's done a big showy spread in Interview magazine where Bond was a hot topic:

img-tom-hiddleston_162238723727.jpg

He's also recently partnered with Gucci for a campaign. He gives me serious Peter O'Toole vibes. Just a little bit of a beta-male to be Bond.

tom-hiddleston-gucci-cruise-2017-campaign-0.jpg
    gallery-1474898555-elle-tom-hiddleston-gucci-05-glen-luchford.jpg

The appointment of the next Bond is really dependent on the direction the series is taking. For instance, I doubt they'd have cast Hiddles in 2006 as they wanted someone more gruff, thuggish and iconoclastic.

However, after 10 years of Craig scowling, maybe it's time for the series to embrace the "fun". Hiddles would certainly suggest a more Roger Moore-ish tone.....

The fact of the matter is...we know he's on EON's radar and that he's met with Broccoli and was in talks at some point (Source: BirthsMoviesDeath blog is rarely wrong). Personally, I think EON are in a holding pattern:

Craig is yet to commit (maybe he's reading possible story treatments and meeting with prospective directors), but I think Hiddleston has been told he's 'the man' if Craig does bow out.

Is this the face of the next James Bond.....
    img-tom-hiddleston_162420736270.jpg

I personally hope not.

(I've actually quite come around on the idea of Jamie Dornan as Bond....)
    jamie_dornan_126646927_650x.jpg
    Re: Hiddle - at least it's not another underpants spread. That's something I suppose.

I thought Dornan had potential during The Fall, but I'm afraid he may have blown in with that chic flick series.
    Re: Hiddle - at least it's not another underpants spread. That's something I suppose.

I thought Dornan had potential during The Fall, but I'm afraid he may have blown in with that chic flick series.
    I share the sentiment.
    I find it very telling that, if we forget about age for a minute, Pierce Brosnan circa 2015-2016 looks like a better candidate for Bond in the next film than nearly all candidates I see mentioned here. Anyone who needs a beard to look manly (looking at you, Jamie Dornan and Jack Huston) are disqualified, IMO.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Dornan has a psychotic look in his eye; he's more of a villain than hero
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Hiddleston is BACK in the press again in a big bad way...it's pretty clear that Tommy H thinks 2016 is going to be his big year. In all fairness, to him he is milking it for all it's worth - more power to him. This guy is desperate to get on the A-list.

He's done a big showy spread in Interview magazine where Bond was a hot topic:

img-tom-hiddleston_162238723727.jpg

He's also recently partnered with Gucci for a campaign. He gives me serious Peter O'Toole vibes. Just a little bit of a beta-male to be Bond.

tom-hiddleston-gucci-cruise-2017-campaign-0.jpg

The appointment of the next Bond is really dependent on the direction the series is taking. For instance, I doubt they'd have cast Hiddles in 2006 as they wanted someone more gruff, thuggish and iconoclastic.

However, after 10 years of Craig scowling, maybe it's time for the series to embrace the "fun". Hiddles would certainly suggest a more Roger Moore-ish tone.....

The fact of the matter is...we know he's on EON's radar and that he's met with Broccoli and was in talks at some point (Source: BirthsMoviesDeath blog is rarely wrong). Personally, I think EON are in a holding pattern:

Craig is yet to commit (maybe he's reading possible story treatments and meeting with prospective directors), but I think Hiddleston has been told he's 'the man' if Craig does bow out.

Is this the face of the next James Bond.....
    img-tom-hiddleston_162420736270.jpg

I personally hope not.

(I've actually quite come around on the idea of Jamie Dornan as Bond....)
    jamie_dornan_126646927_650x.jpg

Post of the year. @Pierce2Daniel "cutting through the ambient noise" yet again, well done sir! =D>
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Dornan is an absolute bore to even consider as Bond. Hiddleston's antics may have axed his consideration but acting and presence I believe are there.

Not too hip on the Village people photo but the O'Toole look is ok.

Don't really see Hiddleston as lighter or more comedic similar to Moore ....that's my take at least.

I only really feel that way about James Bond, but perhaps that view can extend to other famous and long running multi-actor film characters as well, like Bruce Wayne.

These are strong male personas. Heroes. Rebels in way as well. So the key attribute that must shine through in the performance (in these instances) is confidence. It must be natural. The other key attribute is authenticity. It cannot be forced, because heroes by their nature are genuine.

So in order to succeed in an interpretation, I think it is preferable if an actor can play up a part of their own inherent persona, because the authenticity of that aspect will then allow other aspects of the performance to also be more credible. A sort of 'halo' effect, if you will, which will carry through.

Generally though, no, I don't think that of acting in general. Just when considering long running franchise heroes that have well defined characteristics (confidence and strength) in the public's mind. Especially when those roles have been played by many actors in the past.

Hmm. I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. You were talking about extension of their personalities, which I understand as them being somehow similar to their characters. Now you talk about confidence, which is far more vague. Of course characters like that should appear confident, but if extension of one's personality comes down to just being confident or not, then why not just talk about that. Being simply confident is not much of a description of one's personality. And I don't know what you mean by authenticity here.
    patb wrote: »

Yes. Both types of actors can be very good. I've always liked James Stewart, but he was not exactly versatile. And yes, you're always gonna get the similar Tom Hanks with every Tom Hanks role. (I don't find him an interesting actor, but he's good at what he does.) I'm more fascinated by chamelons, because I think it's more interesting not knowing in advance what you're gonna get with them, but I understand there's some comfort in familiarity, and I appreciate movie stars, too, some of them very much. Nowadays they are becoming quite rare, though.

Hmm. I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. You were talking about extension of their personalities, which I understand as them being somehow similar to their characters. Now you talk about confidence, which is far more vague. Of course characters like that should appear confident, but if extension of one's personality comes down to just being confident or not, then why not just talk about that. Being simply confident is not much of a description of one's personality. And I don't know what you mean by authenticity here.
    I'd prefer not to get into the weeds on this as it's all just opinion.

Let's use Craig as an example. When I see him talking outside of the Bond role (in interviews etc.) I see a relatively tough bloke (not just in looks, but in demeanour). I also see a cynical person (even his jokes suggest a weariness.....'slash wrists with bottle' etc.). Someone who doesn't give a 'f'.

It's perhaps coincidence (but then again, perhaps not) that I tend to prefer Craig's performances when he plays to those attributes, such as QoS (toughness) and SF (cynical and jaded). I find it authentic and it seems natural. Real. I feel like he's drawing from something within him. From his life experiences and his own character. Something he feels viscerally and therefore can emote properly and in a natural way.

I did not see that in his SP performance, which seemed contrived (to me). Like he was trying to play an 'amalgam' Bond at times. I didn't think that light heartedness suited him as well as the other portrayals. That's not to say he was bad mind you. Just not as good.

I have had the same criticism of Brosnan on many occasions, because I didn't think he found his authentic voice for the part, although as said earlier, I think he got very close in DAD. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there is a hardness to Brosnan's portrayal in parts of DAD which mirrors his best non-Bond action work, including Tailor of Panama. Not cynical like Craig, but tougher than the girly man (imho) that he portrayed in TWINE. Is that an extension of Brosnan's natural persona or his personal life experiences? I wonder.

I think when one is bringing a part of oneself to the role, then one tends to be more confident, and viewers can pick up on that.
    That dog has more menace than he does.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690
    In those pictures, Hiddleston looks closer to a possible replacement for 'Young nerdy Q' if Whishaw quits than a possible Bond #7.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    In those pictures, Hiddleston looks closer to a possible replacement for 'Young nerdy Q' if Whishaw quits than a possible Bond #7.

Yep.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Its just no matter how hard he tries he doesn't have the movie star look.with or without Bond Pierce if he wouldn't have starred in Bond i bet he would have found another way to hsve big breakout role.

Pierce rejected Batman. That means he has the movie star quality just like Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Sean Connery and so many others.
    Hidleston gives me the vibe he wants to play Bond more for the fame that comes with the role than loving the franchise itself.

But who can blame him after Pierce calls it the gift thst keeps giving? With this quote everyone wants to be Bond and maybe ive been judging him too harsh.

This thought just came to my mind maybe he should get the part if he wants it so badly maybe having an actor who really wants the part would be the best since he would give his all to deliver a great Bond.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Maybe but Fassbinder, Hardy, and Turner (I think) have all expressed just as strong desire to play the role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Maybe but Fassbinder, Hardy, and Turner (I think) have all expressed just as strong desire to play the role.

Who doesn't want to play Bond?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Who doesn't want to play Bond?

Daniel Craig :P..............I'm joking......we do not know that for sure.