Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    A Bond actor really needs to bring an extension of their personality to succeed imho.

It's an interesting idea... But I don't know if I agree.

Do you feel like that about acting in general? If you do, then... really - you feel actors can only really succeed when they play roles in which they can play extensions of their personalities? I mean, actors are supposed to be acting, anyway, not "play themselves" - even if it's "extension" and not exactly themselves. Isn't it about acting talent and suitability for a role? (No actor is great at everything and suitable for any role.)

And if not, then... really - why is Bond so different from any other role? I just can't believe it somehow is.
    I only really feel that way about James Bond, but perhaps that view can extend to other famous and long running multi-actor film characters as well, like Bruce Wayne.

These are strong male personas. Heroes. Rebels in way as well. So the key attribute that must shine through in the performance (in these instances) is confidence. It must be natural. The other key attribute is authenticity. It cannot be forced, because heroes by their nature are genuine.

So in order to succeed in an interpretation, I think it is preferable if an actor can play up a part of their own inherent persona, because the authenticity of that aspect will then allow other aspects of the performance to also be more credible. A sort of 'halo' effect, if you will, which will carry through.

Generally though, no, I don't think that of acting in general. Just when considering long running franchise heroes that have well defined characteristics (confidence and strength) in the public's mind. Especially when those roles have been played by many actors in the past.

Hmm. I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. You were talking about extension of their personalities, which I understand as them being somehow similar to their characters. Now you talk about confidence, which is far more vague. Of course characters like that should appear confident, but if extension of one's personality comes down to just being confident or not, then why not just talk about that. Being simply confident is not much of a description of one's personality. And I don't know what you mean by authenticity here.
    I'd prefer not to get into the weeds on this as it's all just opinion.

Let's use Craig as an example. When I see him talking outside of the Bond role (in interviews etc.) I see a relatively tough bloke (not just in looks, but in demeanour). I also see a cynical person (even his jokes suggest a weariness.....'slash wrists with bottle' etc.). Someone who doesn't give a 'f'.

It's perhaps coincidence (but then again, perhaps not) that I tend to prefer Craig's performances when he plays to those attributes, such as QoS (toughness) and SF (cynical and jaded). I find it authentic and it seems natural. Real. I feel like he's drawing from something within him. From his life experiences and his own character. Something he feels viscerally and therefore can emote properly and in a natural way.

I did not see that in his SP performance, which seemed contrived (to me). Like he was trying to play an 'amalgam' Bond at times. I didn't think that light heartedness suited him as well as the other portrayals. That's not to say he was bad mind you. Just not as good.

I have had the same criticism of Brosnan on many occasions, because I didn't think he found his authentic voice for the part, although as said earlier, I think he got very close in DAD. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there is a hardness to Brosnan's portrayal in parts of DAD which mirrors his best non-Bond action work, including Tailor of Panama. Not cynical like Craig, but tougher than the girly man (imho) that he portrayed in TWINE. Is that an extension of Brosnan's natural persona or his personal life experiences? I wonder.

I think when one is bringing a part of oneself to the role, then one tends to be more confident, and viewers can pick up on that.

When you put it like that I can pretty much agree with you for most part.

However, I still feel it's about acting ability rather than bringing one's own personality into it. That's how it is generally, and surely what applies to acting in general must apply to role of Bond as well. While I can see where you're coming from with your Craig examples, and I would agree with you there, I don't really feel that an actor's own personality's influence on their performance in a role could really be generalized. He himself has also played very different kinds of characters believably (very sweet characters, utter monsters). I don't think actors need to be at all like their varied characters to be good and seem authentic and utterly believable.

How well an actor performs in different movies (even when similar traits are required) has to do with many things, including the director and co-stars. I think confidence in a role becomes from knowing what one is supposed to be doing (inhabiting the role as well as possible) and trusting the director, crew, cast, script, and all that, and what sort of atmosphere there is on set, etc. The performance captured in any one movie is not just up to the actor.

We may be just thinking this, and expressing ourselves differently, while agreeing quite a lot.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Tuulia, yes I think we agree for the most part. To clarify, with Bond I believe a lot of what makes the actor believable in the role (in a particular film) is whether he is able to sell the natural confidence and swagger. After all, Bond films are not dealing with lots of dialogue or complex emotions etc. For that to be credible, I think the actor needs to go to a personal place where they can feel comfortable - and then the confidence comes from there. That's why all their portrayals are so different (especially the ones that we rank high on here).

That's why I hope EON first determine what kind of Bond films they want to make for the next 10 years, and what kind of character they plan on depicting during this time. Then find an actor who can naturally fit into that mold.
    Agreed.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,661
    The latest bit of news - mentioned on Radio 4 - Daniel Craig remains B Broccoli's number one choice. This means Tom Hiddleston can do more model shoots with his pet pooch. \:D/
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The latest bit of news - mentioned on Radio 4 - Daniel Craig remains B Broccoli's number one choice.
    Of this there was never truly any doubt.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,661
    This is your next Bond, folks!

GU501_MENS%20TAILORING_PR%20CROPPED_300dpi_4.jpg

;)) :-&

"Bond was tired after a hard day's mission. He liked nothing better than to dress like a dandy and stroke his dog."
    Despite being a proponent of his, I'll admit there's something terribly effeminate about that photo, imho at least.
  • RC7RC7

"Bond was tired after a hard day's mission. He liked nothing better than to dress like a dandy and stroke his dog."

NSNA-JB0014SCdungarees.jpg
    Hahaha oh Connery,why why why ?!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Has more of a Willy Wonka vibe.

RC7 wrote: »

NSNA-JB0014SCdungarees.jpg

As funny as Connery in a pair of dungarees is.....and it's pretty darn funny....compared to Tom in those pics, Sean looks bad ass.
    This man ?

hqdefault.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Has more of a Willy Wonka vibe.

:))
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This man ?

hqdefault.jpg

Come to think of it.....I have been warming to the idea of Tom Hardy as Bond. He might not be bad.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This man ?

hqdefault.jpg

Come to think of it.....I have been warming to the idea of Tom Hardy as Bond. He might not be bad.

....and he wants the part but he hasn't been desperately campaigning for it. Good actor with presence if not quite the traditional Bond look.
    If you watch him in Inception,he is almost Bond in that..
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think it goes beyond simply looking the part - Aidan Turner has the whole package as far as I'm concerned. He can do sophisticated, but at the same time he has an Irish earthiness that tells us he could probably survive in the wild. I think that's an important trait for Bond; he has to be good with his hands, and not afraid to get them dirty.

Beyond that, Aidan Turner would be a perfect choice for two reasons: he is both a visual and a thematic departure from what Craig has given us. Craig is stocky and not conventionally attractive, whilst Turner is more in the classic mold, close to early Connery and the character that Fleming envisioned, even down to the black comma.

I think it's a good idea for EON to shake things up every now and again, and going for the Brosnan tall dark and handsome look straight after Craig makes for a nice contrast. Not only that but the way an actor looks and naturally behaves often informs how their interpretation will take shape on screen. If you look at Turner, what about him immediately stands out and grabs your attention? His hazelnut eyes, tan skin and dark hair?
  • RC7RC7
    I think it goes beyond simply looking the part - Aidan Turner has the whole package as far as I'm concerned. He can do sophisticated, but at the same time he has an Irish earthiness that tells us he could probably survive in the wild. I think that's an important trait for Bond; he has to be good with his hands, and not afraid to get them dirty.

Aidan Turner is 'James Bond 007' in 'Famine Royale' - co-starring Nick Knowles as The Earl of Lucan and Charlie Dimmock as Flopya Titsout.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @RC7, I believe I've read a post of yours sometime ago that you work in the film business, yes? Of all the available actors, if you were to cast someone in the role, suppose Craig has just left, who would you pick?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mendes, time to wipe the drool off your chin.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7, I believe I've read a post of yours sometime ago that you work in the film business, yes? Of all the available actors, if you were to cast someone in the role, suppose Craig has just left, who would you pick?

Yes, primarily TV, but some film crossover. Honestly, I don't know. I'm no casting director, but I've screen tested people and it's the only way to ascertain who's 'got it' (of course even that is subjective). Until someone steps in front the camera it's really hard to say. I mean, who had Ledger down as the Joker pre-TDK? There will be unexpected/unknown candidates out there who might smash it, and there will be those that are tipped who bottle it.

I'm sorry that answer is very non-committal, but it really does come down to that. No one is a shoe in from where I'm standing. Of the names mentioned Hiddleston has the tools in his locker to pull off a certain type of Bond, whether that is what people want is up to EON, but he's by no means perfect.

Instinct says Dan will return, until we know otherwise it's hard to speculate.
    Would you even need a screentest from Fassbender?
  • RC7RC7
    Would you even need a screentest from Fassbender?

No, he'd be fucking amazing. Sadly that ship has sailed, I fear.

Why is that? If Craig is back for one or two more I understand, but if not?
  • RC7RC7
    Why is that? If Craig is back for one or two more I understand, but if not?

If they got their shit together and could roll out three movies on two year cycles I think it's worth it. I just don't see it happening.
    I don t know. I think it s possible.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Jamie Bell rumour is the one I had the impression could become a reality.
    It's just a feeling and I wouldn't be surprised if it became true.

It also would be fun to see how many of you would suddenly turn into Aidan Turner, Hiddleston and Hardy fans then ;)
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I sincerely hope that your feelings betray you in this instance. Nothing could more surely kill my lifelong adulation for this franchise than the casting of Bell. Craig was enough of a physical departure for me, and I hope they don't push the envelope further in this regard. Time to get back to a more conventional Bond imho.

It also would be fun to see how many of you would suddenly turn into Aidan Turner, Hiddleston and Hardy fans then ;)

I think I would suddenly become an exclusive MI fan. :(

It would then be obvious EoN wouldn't be making Bond films anymore.
    My God don't even contemplate that...I know DC was a surprise choice but at least he had a presence,a toughness about him.

Jamie Bell is powderpuff....he was dancing in tights FFS !!