Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Truth be told, I haven't been diving into this Aidan Turner thing as some of our member have because I barely knew the guy when he was first mentioned. Meanwhile I've seen him do a few things and I fail to understand what's so special about him. He's not a bad actor but he doesn't stand out either. He's just another pretty boy who might look good in a tux. I don't understand why some members are crushing on him. Turner looks like a younger Julian McMahon - who, incidentally, was also at one point linked to Bond but never got near the part.

Since Craig, I expect more than a guy who looks good on a mag cover. I want a more extravagant choice, a more unconventional choice. And preferably a few years older too. I don't want to hate on Turner, I merely find him a boring, tasteless choice for Bond.

I have to disagree here. I think Turner brings more variety than any other name I have seen mentioned. If you see his interviews, he clearly is very comfortable in his own skin, and loves to have a laugh. However, he has that dark intensity and a piercing stare that could put a shiver down your spine quicker than a November morning. I think he covers those bases well.
    Just look how closely a young Sean Connery resembles Aidan Turner. It's uncanny.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @mendes: no
    :))
    I think Aidan Turner in most pics I've seen of him looks more like a Vincent Chase/Adrian Grenier from Entourage type.
    Still, I don't know what film it is, but the photos of him in black tie do look somewhat Bondian.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Aidan Turner does have a little of Connery, Brosnan and Dalton.
    In any case Turner is very good-looking, suave but still has this dark sinister side about him that Bond needs and Craig or Brosnan never had.

If it's him that will play the 007th Bond I will be happy.

Anyone who has seen Poldark should know Turner would be perfect as Bond and that he is as good an actor than the other Bond actors, I'd go so far to say he is way better than Craig or Brosnan.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 8,138
    Aidan Turner does have a little of Connery, Brosnan and Dalton.
    In any case Turner is very good-looking, suave but still has this dark sinister side about him that Bond needs and Craig or Brosnan never had.

If it's him that will play the 007th Bond I will be happy.

Anyone who has seen Poldark should know Turner would be perfect as Bond and that he is as good an actor than the other Bond actors, I'd go so far to say he is way better than Craig or Brosnan.

Precisely! =D>
    Sorry guys I'm not convinced at all. Remember him in The Hobbit? Me neither.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,333
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Er, yes actually I do. He was the love interest of the beautiful Evangeline Lilly and was pretty central to the plot. Though he was literally dwarfed by special effects and prosthetics, he still gave a standout performance, enough for me to look him up and check out his credentials afterwards. Some actors do this to me, but then I would call myself a movie buff who likes to be aware of new and upcoming talent, for which Turner was most definitely one. Not that I immediately thought he was a candidate for Bond when I first saw his Hobbit movies, but then I felt the same way when I first saw Craig in Road to Perdition; he wasn't a credible candidate either at that point.

Of course, once Turner's name became associated with Bond, I decided to investigate his television work, such as And Then There Was None and of course Poldark. After watching him in these I have no doubt whatsoever whether he'd be any good as Bond. On the contrary, I feel it in my bones and water that he'd be a great choice.

It does seem that posters here either arrive at their disapproval of Turner based on a few photographs and little else, which is why one can't have a proper debate on his merits or otherwise simply because no one, apart from a select few here, can be arsed to watch him in anything.
    DELETE - I'm having problems with posting my comments and keep losing my drafts. I'm having problems with my server which is causing these double posts and half finished ones too. Sorry.

Did you sleep during the movie?
    I see the A. Grenier comparison, which is not good. Better then Brosnan AND DC. Indeed
    Poor boy, has to live up to a lot with you, Jason.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    Er, yes actually I do. He was the love interest of the beautiful Evangeline Lilly and was pretty central to the plot. Though he was literally dwarfed by special effects and prosthetics, he still gave a standout performance, enough for me to look him up and check out his credentials afterwards. Some actors do this to me, but then I would call myself a movie buff who likes to be aware of new and upcoming talent, for which Turner was most definitely one. Not that I immediately thought he was a candidate for Bond when I first saw his Hobbit movies, but then I felt the same way when I first saw Craig in Road to Perdition; he wasn't a credible candidate either at that point.

Of course, once Turner's name became associated with Bond, I decided to investigate his television work, such as And Then There Was None and of course Poldark. After watching him in these I have no doubt whatsoever whether he'd be any good as Bond. On the contrary, I feel it in my bones and water that he'd be a great choice.

It does seem that posters here either arrive at their disapproval of Turner based on a few photographs and little else, which is why one can't have a proper debate on his merits or otherwise simply because no one, apart from a select few here, can be arsed to watch him in anything.

I've watched him in Being Human, The Hobbit, And Then There Were None and Poldark. He's a decent actor, but as @DarthDimi attests he doesn't 'stand out' in a crowd. To me he seems to lack that star quality that elevates one from traditional TV actor to bona fide movie star. Some can make that transition seamlessly and hold court in Hollywood, others, while decent actors, struggle. Turner may still make this leap, but right now I don't see him playing the icon that is Bond.

I feel like you also have to ask yourself why he hasn't yet been tested as a lead or co-star in a high profile film. He's been on the radar since The Hobbit but nobody wants to bite. Meanwhile rival candidates such Hiddleston are being nominated for Emmy's (TNM), leading films (High Rise, King Kong) and still consistently stealing the show in high profile franchise films.

I'm not saying it's a straight fight between these two, it may be a relative unknown that is eventually cast (I can see this working) but if you're going with a known entity, at this moment in time, Turner falls quite short for me.
    @RC7
    In 2005 it was the same with Craig and for instance Clive Owen.
    In comparison Aidan is proven and has several acclaimed TV shows in his portfolio plus some big screen films. Hiddy's Loki is like Aidan's Hobbit, not much to go on concerning a possible future Bond engagement.
    Hiddy only has "made it" because of The Night Manager, also a TV Show.
    Furthermore Moore and Brosnan were in the same situation.

Craig has had zero star quality prior to CR, Layer Cake was merely an underground tip for Hardcore cinephiles.

I'm certain Aidan (or Hiddy) would do great as Bond.
    Craig was really impressive in the BBC series 'Our Friends in the North'
    You should watch 'Layer Cake' again! Its obvious this is what swung it for Babs, as he gives a really commanding performance! Even the way his character walks!!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I've watched him in Being Human, The Hobbit, And Then There Were None and Poldark. He's a decent actor, but as @DarthDimi attests he doesn't 'stand out' in a crowd. To me he seems to lack that star quality that elevates one from traditional TV actor to bona fide movie star. Some can make that transition seamlessly and hold court in Hollywood, others, while decent actors, struggle. Turner may still make this leap, but right now I don't see him playing the icon that is Bond.

Without an actor doing a decent screentest as Bond you'll never know their true potential. They may have that star quality for Bond but it's not evident in other roles.

Are there any British tv shows like The Saint showcasing an actor in a Bond-type role? Don't think so. Hiddleston got lucky with The Night Manager - that was a great role for him at the right time - but not sure if Poldark is the sort of role that makes you think "that guy should be Bond."

I thought Aiden Turner's English accent in And There Were None was spot-on. He did play the role with upper class smugness. It wasn't the confidence/smugness of Bond, the character he played seemed more unpleasant than 007, but I think Mr Turner may have a bit more range than some think. He could be a dark horse for the role and surprise people but whether or not he has that extra something to his acting that can convince people he should be the next Bond I don't know. If he can do a strong screentest he'll have a chance. And he's not dating a famous US singer (or breaking up with one) so that might help his chances!

I tried not to. It was hard by moments.

@bondsum Of course I didn't mean literally. But to say that Aiden Turner stood out or that he gave even a memorable is ludicrous. He was ok in a rather dull role in a shoehorned and overall irrelevant romantic subplot.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Without an actor doing a decent screentest as Bond you'll never know their true potential. They may have that star quality for Bond but it's not evident in other roles.

Are there any British tv shows like The Saint showcasing an actor in a Bond-type role? Don't think so. Hiddleston got lucky with The Night Manager - that was a great role for him at the right time - but not sure if Poldark is the sort of role that makes you think "that guy should be Bond."

I thought Aiden Turner's English accent in And There Were None was spot-on. He did play the role with upper class smugness. It wasn't the confidence/smugness of Bond, the character he played seemed more unpleasant than 007, but I think Mr Turner may have a bit more range than some think. He could be a dark horse for the role and surprise people but whether or not he has that extra something to his acting that can convince people he should be the next Bond I don't know. If he can do a strong screentest he'll have a chance. And he's not dating a famous US singer (or breaking up with one) so that might help his chances!

You either have the ability to lead a film (the star quality you refer to), or you don't. What you're alluding to is an actors ability to make a role their own. David Jason embodies Del Boy completely, but he never possessed the tools to make the leap to the big screen and lead a movie.

Also, I don't believe Hiddleston got lucky with the Night Manager, it may seem that way if you're anti-Hiddleston, because this is what the man on the street uses as a yardstick. For casting directors this doesn't paint a definitive picture, they pick up on the minutiae of performances - there are elements within his Loki performance, for instance, which would feed into his portrayal of Bond. He has an energy to him that channeled by the right director would be very effective. Turner, on the other hand, lacks a level of depth. He looks great in stills, but there's more kineticism from Hiddleston, more going on beneath the surface. You don't suddenly learn this, it's innate.

Also to be considered is what you personally would want from a new Bond. From that perspective Hiddleston is not the ideal candidate for everyone, neither is Turner. What I'd like is someone to put a unique stamp on it and from where I'm sitting Tom has the tools to deliver that, where Aidan feels lightweight - a Connery/Dalton (to use the ongoing narrative of his ardent supporters) lite.

EDIT: Actually, scrub that last comment - I've obviously been drawn in by the constant referencing of Conners. Turner isn't even in the same universe as Connery. I'm slightly embarrassed I was even taken in by such bullshit.

I tried not to. It was hard by moments.

@bondsum Of course I didn't mean literally. But to say that Aiden Turner stood out or that he gave even a memorable is ludicrous. He was ok in a rather dull role in a shoehorned and overall irrelevant romantic subplot.
    Ok, I'll try to be quick while my server is stable for the moment. Firstly, @Ludovico, if I think Turner gave a memorable enough performance for me to check out his credentials afterwards then that is my opinion, and though you might not agree with me on whether he was integral to the story (or even the action) Turner was significant enough to be given a credit alongside the main players. However, your withering "ludicrous" put down is worthy of one long flatulent raspberry blown in your general direction. :)>-

@RC7, I'd love to go into more detail to your reasonable and disciplined response but t my server is bloody unstable, but here goes: of course, you are one of the few that has watched Turner in something but is also a big champion for Hiddy, so I therefore understand your own reservations. I'm afraid I don't quite see the attraction myself in Hiddleston, so I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this particular subject. Sure, Hiddleston has a far higher profile than Turner currently does, no question. Though I think he's serviceable as the villain in Thor he's still not how I picture Loki from the comics and is far too pantomime for my own personal tastes. The Night Manager has done surprisingly well at the awards (though I'm not so sure it won anything?) and I think again Hiddleston was serviceable in the role, though a little too fey again for my tastes. Of course his power play PR stunt with Miss Swift also raised his profile for certain gossip magazine types, but I'm not quite sure about the damage to his credibility afterwards. The upcoming Kong movie will attract the crowds mostly for the giant hairy ape rather than chisel-jawed Hiddleston, I'm afraid. So either way, he's playing second fiddle to a CGI ape. Forgive me, but I'm not so sure High Rise was that well received at the BO, nor by the critics, so maybe this shouldn't be mentioned as some kind of success story for him? Again, you are correct about Turner not being given a major leading role yet in a Hollywood blockbuster, even though there are very few big budget movies being produced there, apart from the Superhero movies, the occasional Star Wars and too many YA movies. Plus, let's not forget Craig himself hadn't hosted a big Hollywood movie before Bond came along, and was always a supporting actor amongst the big names.
    Well it is ludicrous as your personal experience and enjoyment of his performance in The Hobbit is meaningless compared to the general perception and reception of the movie. If Turner had been memorable then we would know about it. Now when he played Philip Lombard in And Then There Were None he was memorable enough to be noticed... Although that might have been more because of his look than actually acting skills.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I always thought the giantess elf thing in The Hobbit could do better but wow was that sexy!!

Ok I'm back...
    Well it is ludicrous as your personal experience and enjoyment of his performance in The Hobbit is meaningless compared to the general perception and reception of the movie. If Turner had been memorable then we would know about it. Now when he played Philip Lombard in And Then There Were None he was memorable enough to be noticed... Although that might have been more because of his look than actually acting skills.

Turner is one actor in a huge ensemble cast. Except for Martin Freeman nobody stood out.
    The Hobbit is an implausible argument against Aidan.
    It's not an implausible argument against him it's a reasonable reservation regarding his potential candidacy as Bond. He stood out as Lombard in an ensemble cast. Why not The Hobbit? Granted the whole romantic subplot was superfluous at best and lots of creative decisions to deviate or beef up Tolkien's original were questionable through no fault of his own. But if his role in The Hobbit is not an argument against him it certainly is not an argument for him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Countless names have been tossed about to be the next Bond. many of us have our favorites. My question is, has the next 007 been mentioned, or will he, like Craig, come out of the blue? I have roughly 3 top choices but feel like pick will come out of left field.
    Personally I can live with the likes of Tom Hiddleston, Aidan Turner, Chris Hemsworth, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy...

But my favourite has been and still is Dan Stevens. I know it's highly unlikely he will become Bond as his career is going nowhere.

Personally I'm certain BB will choose someone popular and well known this time.
    I feel like if EON wants to put it's best foot forward and start afresh, one of the best decisions they could take is to hire Turner. If Brosnan wasn't serious enough, and Craig was too serious - then Turner will be just right. He is an actor that possesses both cheek and guile in equal measure. A Bond film with him in the tux I feel would satisfy both diehard fans AND general audiences, without alienating either group.
  • RC7RC7
    @bondsum - your personal opinions on High Rise and Skull Island don't really carry water in the debate I'm afraid.

The point I'm trying to make is that Hiddleston is considered a viable face to lead a Hollywood blockbuster. Again, whether that lasts is up for debate, but I'm not alone in seeing that this guy has the sort of charisma to carry a picture. His profile is such that the casting execs appear to agree.

On the other hand we have Turner - star of a well received TV series (same as Hiddleston) and part of an ensemble in a franchise (same as Hiddleston), but as yet unable to lock down any sort of transition to the silver screen.

To me they have shared a similar path, but only one seems to be convincing the Hollywood casting execs, which is evidence enough that perhaps he's not quite delivering the sort of performance that turns you into a bankable star. Acting - fine, there are better actors than Roger Moore, but they weren't necessarily 'stars'.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 8,138
    RC7 wrote: »
    @bondsum - your personal opinions on High Rise and Skull Island don't really carry water in the debate I'm afraid.

The point I'm trying to make is that Hiddleston is considered a viable face to lead a Hollywood blockbuster. Again, whether that lasts is up for debate, but I'm not alone in seeing that this guy has the sort of charisma to carry a picture. His profile is such that the casting execs appear to agree.

On the other hand we have Turner - star of a well received TV series (same as Hiddleston) and part of an ensemble in a franchise (same as Hiddleston), but as yet unable to lock down any sort of transition to the silver screen.

To me they have shared a similar path, but only one seems to be convincing the Hollywood casting execs, which is evidence enough that perhaps he's not quite delivering the sort of performance that turns you into a bankable star. Acting - fine, there are better actors than Roger Moore, but they weren't necessarily 'stars'.

But it's not Hollywood casting execs that you have to impress to become Bond, is it?

Even if it were, surely then Chris Pratt would be the runaway favorite in todays climate? He's a huge 'star'.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »

But it's not Hollywood casting execs that you have to impress to become Bond, is it?

Even if it were, surely then Chris Pratt would be the runaway favorite in todays climate? He's a huge 'star'.

I'm drawing comparison with both actors' abilities to impress. Turner's complete lack of progress on a cinematic level, whether as lead or co-star, sets alarm bells ringing. I already feel he's lacking in screen presence and his inability to capitalise on his Hobbit experience and leading man status as Poldark reinforces that somewhat.

I'm not talking strictly about impressing casting execs, I'm suggesting there's a correlation between some people's misgivings about his abilities and his career trajectory. DC was plucked out for Tomb Raider as co-star and later, Layer Cake as star, because producers and casting directors spotted his ability and presence. He followed through with that and bagged Bond.

Your Pratt comparison makes no sense. Casting directors don't hire Chris Pratt, heads of studios do. Casting directors and producers would have to sell both Hiddleston and Turner in, and as I've mapped out previously Turner seems to be the harder sell. If you want to go rogue you might as well go unknown.